Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2012, 07:58   #7336
BHPian
 
rohing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BLR - CBE
Posts: 180
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

It would be very interesting to know if we - 'old figo owners' can benefit from the new improvements. Particularly interested in

1. The improved headlight/ reflector - need to chk if it is really improved
2. Steering controls and tiltable steering.

Wonder how much it will cost?
rohing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 10:45   #7337
BHPian
 
supertinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 695
Thanked: 321 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
It would be very interesting to know if we - 'old figo owners' can benefit from the new improvements. Particularly interested in

1. The improved headlight/ reflector - need to chk if it is really improved
2. Steering controls and tiltable steering.

Wonder how much it will cost?
the new headlight design from the pic seems to be a drop in replacement to the old design. Internally reflector size etc is changed. Old headlight assembly costs about 3.5K each, so its gonna be ~7K replacement cost if no issues with fitting.

Tilt steering is definitely a more high cost item and slightly more complicated to replace, I wouldnt even attempt it.

Not sure about steering controls. It does require addl wiring, different part on the outside of the steering housing where the control would sit. If OEM HU has not changed, its would be a doable thing.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 15:04   #7338
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Guys
We are likely to get the Figo Titanium this week. The first thing I plan to do is to exchange the stock tyres to Michelin XM2s.

When I asked for a quote from a reputed Michelin dealer, he said a set of 4 of stock size would cost Rs 19200 (including wheel balancing and nitrogen filling). As regards old tyres, he has offered a varying rate:-
  1. Rs 3200 per tyre if they are MRF
  2. Rs 3000 per tyre of Appollo make
  3. Rs 2900 per tyre of Good Year make
I hope my car comes with MRFs .


So my question to you guys is:
  1. Are the exchange rates reasonable?
  2. Should I upsize to 185/65/14, in which case each tyre would cost Rs 50 more? The tyre dealer says this will not void warranty, and that this size is also mentioned in the Figo manual, but I am not sure.
  3. If I upsize, what are the pros and cons?
Thanks
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 15:19   #7339
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 354
Thanked: 288 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Facing a strange issue:
While coming back from Chail, i could hear some noise from the steering. A distinct "dik.. tick .tick" vibration sound over rough roads.
This happens only when the steering is turned while taking a corner. Doesn't happen on straight roads.
Any pointers what could be the issue ?
An update on this. Its a steering rack issue
The service advisor had the balls to say that this is a common issue in many Figos and its not a problem if you go gently. I said " I will not live with this issue. Replace it!"
Replacement will take the whole day so i will be getting my car back tomorrow.
I just hope they can do a proper job of installing it correctly.
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 16:11   #7340
BHPian
 
supertinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 695
Thanked: 321 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys
We are likely to get the Figo Titanium this week. The first thing I plan to do is to exchange the stock tyres to Michelin XM2s.

When I asked for a quote from a reputed Michelin dealer, he said a set of 4 of stock size would cost Rs 19200 (including wheel balancing and nitrogen filling). As regards old tyres, he has offered a varying rate:-
  1. Rs 3200 per tyre if they are MRF
  2. Rs 3000 per tyre of Appollo make
  3. Rs 2900 per tyre of Good Year make
I hope my car comes with MRFs .


So my question to you guys is:
  1. Are the exchange rates reasonable?
  2. Should I upsize to 185/65/14, in which case each tyre would cost Rs 50 more? The tyre dealer says this will not void warranty, and that this size is also mentioned in the Figo manual, but I am not sure.
  3. If I upsize, what are the pros and cons?
Thanks
Even I had similar plans when I bought my Figo but then i read lot of positive reviews about APollo acceleres on TBHP and asked the dealer to provide me with a car that comes with Apollos. Saved me some money. My experience with Apollos is pretty good in terms of grip. They are definitely more noisy than XM1+ on my other car but not a huge gap. Overall satisfied.

Incase you want to upgrade to XM2s go for 185 width. Definitely will help the overall dynamics of the car in terms of more grip, better look, slightly less tire noise and more comfort as they would be softer.

Cons might be little redux in fuel efficiency but would be hardly noticeable. Michelins would wear little faster than Apollos being softer.

Btw, 175 to 185 width for just Rs 50 more? seems low to me cause when I had bought XM1+ the same were costing about Rs 500 more per tire.

Last edited by supertinu : 14th October 2012 at 16:17.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 17:34   #7341
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post

Incase you want to upgrade to XM2s go for 185 width. Definitely will help the overall dynamics of the car in terms of more grip, better look, slightly less tire noise and more comfort as they would be softer.

Btw, 175 to 185 width for just Rs 50 more? seems low to me cause when I had bought XM1+ the same were costing about Rs 500 more per tire.
Yes, only Rs 50 more per tyre. But does the manual mention this profile too? I was a bit worried about warranty.

This apart, there will be a speedo and odo error of 2%, with marginal increase in hardness of steering and negligible drop in FE.

But positives are better grip, handling and increase in GC by 4 mm approx.

Can you please refer to your manual and get back?
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 21:20   #7342
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 508
Thanked: 301 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
An update on this. Its a steering rack issue
The service advisor had the balls to say that this is a common issue in many Figos and its not a problem if you go gently. I said " I will not live with this issue. Replace it!"
Replacement will take the whole day so i will be getting my car back tomorrow.
I just hope they can do a proper job of installing it correctly.
That's bad to hear.

My car too has the same issue. While moving over a speed-breaker or taking a turn, there is a clicking/grinding noise. I had visited the A.S.S. already and they said it was a problem with the link rod and adjusted it, and the sound was absent for a couple of months but now has resurfaced again. The sound is as if some metal joint is breaking under tension.

My car also has an irritating juddering sound from the front brake assembly which resurfaces just days after the A.S.S. greases/tightens some components every time I complain.

I'm getting a bit bugged with the sounds coming from various parts of the car.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 21:48   #7343
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 525
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So my question to you guys is:[list=1][*]Are the exchange rates reasonable?
The buyback rates are good. I got the same rate for Goodyears but that was 1.5 years back.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please do not quote an entire post- it makes things difficult for our small screen and mobile users.

Last edited by noopster : 16th October 2012 at 09:04. Reason: Please check mod note in post
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 10:31   #7344
BHPian
 
r_devakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 220
Thanked: 67 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, only Rs 50 more per tyre. But does the manual mention this profile too? I was a bit worried about warranty.

This apart, there will be a speedo and odo error of 2%, with marginal increase in hardness of steering and negligible drop in FE.

But positives are better grip, handling and increase in GC by 4 mm approx.

Can you please refer to your manual and get back?
I went for Michelin XM1+ 185/65R14 and the best part is the additional ground clearance you get apart from the better grip and handling. However, i don't remember this size is mentioned in the manual and may void warranty. In my case, the dealer noted this as non standard (apart from the tyre, i changed the alloy also outside). I don't know the impact on not having the warranty (what type of issues will not be covered because of this). I have driven 25K KMs till now, and no issues so far. Mine is June 2011.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 12:12   #7345
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
This apart, there will be a speedo and odo error of 2%

Can you please refer to your manual and get back?
IMO, XM2 185/60/14 which will have 1% speedo error and will be better than 185/65/14. And if you do not care suspension and steering warranty, go for 185 spec.

A tyre dealer in Bangalore quoted Rs.1500/- per tyre about 4 months back for 185 mm XM2 with exchange of MRF ZV2K.

On standard tyre spec, refer picture below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar
However, i don't remember this size is mentioned in the manual and may void warranty. In my case, the dealer noted this as non standard (apart from the tyre, i changed the alloy also outside). I don't know the impact on not having the warranty (what type of issues will not be covered because of this).
Upsizing tyres void suspension and steering warranty. I did not upsize as I read about some Figos had steering rack issues. Refer below pic for standard tyre specifications shown in the manual.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by HighOctane : 15th October 2012 at 12:18.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 16:29   #7346
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Thanks guys

I called the Sr Marketing Manager of the dealer, with whom I'd established contact due to my Fiesta. I was pretty relieved to hear that going for 185/65/14 will not void warranty. Only thing I was to be prepared for was the speedo/ odo error.

One of the main reasons I am keen on this profile is the GC benefit, apart from grip and handling. The other option of 185/60/14 runs the risk of reduced GC, which is anathema to me. I remember during my recent servicing of my Fiesta, the SA clearly told me that the Figo has more GC issues on bad roads compared to my Fiesta, and hence this eagerness for better GC.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 17:13   #7347
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Thanks guys

I called the Sr Marketing Manager of the dealer, with whom I'd established contact due to my Fiesta. I was pretty relieved to hear that going for 185/65/14 will not void warranty. Only thing I was to be prepared for was the speedo/ odo error.
While purchasing my Figo, the Sales Associate told me that I can upgrade wider tyres and better wattage headlamp bulbs and wind tone horns. But when I contacted the Service Manager on tyre upsize and bulbs, he informed me that any upsize will void suspension warranty and any change in bulb of higher wattage other than 60/55w will void electrical warranty. Dual Horns can be installed without cutting wires.

Please check with Service Manjager before changing.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 19:16   #7348
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Ford launches new Figo-

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/auto/art...=home-business
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 08:40   #7349
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 3,821 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Team BHP has covered it as well

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-new-post.html
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 11:23   #7350
BHPian
 
supertinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 695
Thanked: 321 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks guys

I called the Sr Marketing Manager of the dealer, with whom I'd established contact due to my Fiesta. I was pretty relieved to hear that going for 185/65/14 will not void warranty. Only thing I was to be prepared for was the speedo/ odo error.

One of the main reasons I am keen on this profile is the GC benefit, apart from grip and handling. The other option of 185/60/14 runs the risk of reduced GC, which is anathema to me. I remember during my recent servicing of my Fiesta, the SA clearly told me that the Figo has more GC issues on bad roads compared to my Fiesta, and hence this eagerness for better GC.
I agree with High Octane. As per user manual there is no 185 recommended hence not covered in warranty. However honoring the warranty is within dealer's discretion and you basically need to be on good terms with him. If the service dept incharge is ok with it, then you are covered. In bangalore one of the dealer was very stingy and wouldn't agree for even upgrading the horn while the 2nd one was very open and said just dont cut the wires and you are ok. So basically its a bit of a grey area.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 863 15th August 2016 14:07
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:00.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks