Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 23:34   #7396
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 525
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaknav View Post

Also i have a question about the engine oil. I checked the engine oil in my car to confirm it has been replaced. i saw that the oil is not clear and on my finger left a black spot. i asked the SA about this. He told me the engine oil for diesel's are already greenish black. And after a little running even after flushing it picks up some left over material from the engine and will look black. I am not sure about this, as this is my first diesel car. Can the experts please confirm this?

I must say this, Shreeji ford is really horrible. And has surely left me with a bad aftertaste about ford. I am definitely going to raise this with Ford directly.

Can you guys suggest which Ford service center is good and honest in Mumbai. I stay in Thane and there is no other option here other than Shreeji. But after this experience i am willing to drive the extra distance!
The oil is dull in color. It is not greenish or redish in color. It is possible that it will look black even after you drive few kilometers.
I have asked a question on good service center in Mumbai few posts back. Someone replied Wasan Ford is good. May be you could try it next time. I haven't used their services this time due to scheduling issues but got my car serviced from my old service center in Pune.

Last edited by shipnil : 5th November 2012 at 23:36.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 06:48   #7397
BHPian
 
rohing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BLR - CBE
Posts: 180
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB
Ok, so finally I tried the bulb replacement on the left hand side myself and I found a way to reach the bulb holder. But still, I don't find it easy to reach the holder and twist it. For example, in my Santro, it's much easier to reach the holder on both sides.

Figo's left hand side headlamp holder

Santro's left side

And right side
It is difficult but still doable. I would say 'bad design' , for headlight is one thing one should be able to do a easy DIY. What if you lose you bulb in the middle of nowhere in the night? Also the instructions in the manual, leave a lot to be desired.
rohing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 07:57   #7398
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 740
Thanked: 459 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
It is difficult but still doable. I would say 'bad design' , for headlight is one thing one should be able to do a easy DIY. What if you lose you bulb in the middle of nowhere in the night? Also the instructions in the manual, leave a lot to be desired.
That was my exactly point. I would have liked a better design where the holder is more in reachable by the hand. Here, the cross-member gets in the way and you have to twist your hand to get hold of the holder. In case of a blow out, in the middle of nowhere as you suggested, it's difficult to reach out and change the bulb. And there is no mention of how to reach the bulb holder on the left hand side, in the user manual.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 10:06   #7399
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,804
Thanked: 1,330 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
It runs continuously with the AC, but without the AC, I have probably noticed it running only once. That leads me to the following 2 questions
The radiator fan has two functions on the Figo and several other cars. One is to cool down the engine coolant in the radiator and the other is for the condenser core which is for the air conditioning. In the case of the Figo, the condenser core is what you see at the bottom of the car when viewed up front. The radiator sits behind the condenser core. They look identical too. On close inspection you will notice two similar looking units, one behind the other. The fan will keep running if you have the air conditioning running, not otherwise. It spins up only when the coolant temperature crosses a particular point. The fan may never spin (without air conditioning) up if the car is in continuous motion as there is air flow in to the radiator and this is sometimes enough to cool down the coolant circulating in the radiator core.
sandeepmohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 15:18   #7400
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 570
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

After the PCM upgrade due to the stalling problem, I found the Figo to be even more drivable in the city. Third gear is even more tractable and picks up well from low speeds.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 06:52   #7401
BHPian
 
rohing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BLR - CBE
Posts: 180
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue
After the PCM upgrade due to the stalling problem, I found the Figo to be even more drivable in the city. Third gear is even more tractable and picks up well from low speeds.
Is there any way to test if this is a perception or if there is real change? The ECU updates confuse me - for there are no versions ( atleast Ford does not tell us or I do not know them) and it hard to understand which my car is using e.g. Something like my car is in 1.21, and need to update to 1.3 which is the version with the bugfix for stalling. Also, why does ford update it only when you complain? Should it not be a auto update?

Similarly, does anyone know if we can request an update to the new Figo's ecu setting. The one with the supposedly faster pickup?
rohing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 20:26   #7402
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 570
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing

Is there any way to test if this is a perception or if there is real change? The ECU updates confuse me - for there are no versions ( atleast Ford does not tell us or I do not know them) and it hard to understand which my car is using e.g. Something like my car is in 1.21, and need to update to 1.3 which is the version with the bugfix for stalling. Also, why does ford update it only when you complain? Should it not be a auto update?

Similarly, does anyone know if we can request an update to the new Figo's ecu setting. The one with the supposedly faster pickup?
It is only my perception. I have not done any tests.
If you see the thread on Figo stalling, the upgraded version is called " GD". But when I asked the SA about my upgraded version, he said it is "BE".
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 20:51   #7403
BHPian
 
Burn_out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 91
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

I was wondering if it makes any sense to go for the base version for Figo and retro fitting the stuff from the features list (power windows, security alarm, left OVRM, parcel tray etc.).
Burn_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 22:02   #7404
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chennai , Tamil Nadu
Posts: 275
Thanked: 47 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
I was wondering if it makes any sense to go for the base version for Figo and retro fitting the stuff from the features list (power windows, security alarm, left OVRM, parcel tray etc.).
An easy no! Even if you manage to save some money the finish would not be good. Also the possibility of warranty going for a toss and all the niggles that come with the installation. Would be better to go for a variant with all those features. Gives you total peace of mind and you are much better off with stock stuff.

Cheers,
K
kaush666 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 08:05   #7405
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 759
Thanked: 1,651 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue

It is only my perception. I have not done any tests.
If you see the thread on Figo stalling, the upgraded version is called " GD". But when I asked the SA about my upgraded version, he said it is "BE".
I don't know what is the "BE" version. But after upgrading to "Gd" I have not experienced any stalling in my figo
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 20:42   #7406
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Guys, Thanks to each and everyone, I have taken delivery of my figo. 200kms done and was a pleasant experience.. my car is diamond white. I have heard mixed opinions about putting the car cover on. Some say to put it on while others say dont. So here I am again, falling back to the reservoir of information to clear my doubt. Is putting the car cover on the car safe? will there be any paint damage??
aravind_ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 21:10   #7407
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 570
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon

I don't know what is the "BE" version. But after upgrading to "Gd" I have not experienced any stalling in my figo
I too don't know what exactly BE is. I asked my SA whether the updated version is GD. He had no idea and had to go in & ask the technician who must have actually done the work. I did ask him whether BE came after GD, but he had absolutely no idea and there seemed no point in asking him further, so I left it at that. For all you know, he could be just fibbing.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 20:12   #7408
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,908
Thanked: 1,908 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Has anyone petrol Figo member done a ECU upgrade? I will be checking tomorrow for the same, before which I wanted to check if there are any advantages to doing so.

I will be doing it mainly for the ECU to adapt better to the FFE and CAI set up as well as an intermittent issue when the engine almost stalls, but does not, when de-acclerating with the clutch slighly depressed(only with AC on).
I realized this is happening since when I finally depress the clutch fully , there is slight jerk felt(when the rpm picks up again after almost dying) and de-accleration is more than usual when slowing down with the AC on and clutch slightly depressed.

Last edited by tharian : 15th November 2012 at 20:14. Reason: added a line
tharian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 20:16   #7409
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa/Bangalore
Posts: 626
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Has anyone petrol Figo member done a ECU upgrade? I will be checking tomorrow for the same, before which I wanted to check if there are any advantages to doing so.

I will be doing it mainly for the ECU to adapt better to the FFE and CAI set up as well as an intermittent issue when the engine almost stalls, but does not, when de-acclerating with the clutch slighly depressed(only with AC on).
I realized this is happening since when I finally depress the clutch fully , there is slight jerk felt(when the rpm picks up again after almost dying) and de-accleration is more than usual when slowing down with the AC on and clutch slightly depressed.
A Ford insider on another forum said nothing has actually changed for petrol Figo.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 22:22   #7410
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 591
Thanked: 183 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
A Ford insider on another forum said nothing has actually changed for petrol Figo.
Are they doing an ECU upgrade for petrol? not sure on that. Yes I agree i guess nothing has changed for the petrol version sadly!
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 869 6th December 2016 10:20
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks