Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 14:45   #9286
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 396 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Okay, so I got my service done at Metro Ford in St Marks road on Saturday. Great experience overall. Standard 20k/2 year service. It cost me 4690 bucks for all oils changed. Plus, they changed the rear shock absorbers under warranty since they felt it was weak. Super. Car rides really well now. Apparently the rear torsion beam was called for replacement, and they did check and noticed that it was replaced. So thats cool.

The power steering hose was called for replacement only on the petrol models - was what i was told.

I also noticed the oil sump...and I am not happy at all. It really needs some kind of protection. I'm amazed nobody's got this done yet. No aluminum fabricated sump guards?

Changed over to Osram NB - saw that there's something called NB Plus which costs a crazy 2200 bucks. No thank you. Also got a nice new horn done.

Great experience with Metro Ford. First time in my life I didn't stand around the car like an ape with an OCD issue the whole service. I dropped it off and went back and collected the car in the afternoon.

Beginning to enjoy this little "blue collar worker" car (also call her the honest man's car). She's named Hathikuli - its TATA's biggest tea estate in Assam which I visited and stayed at last year (Kaziranga). And the car reminds me of a baby elephant.

I've decided I'm not doing synthetic or any of that. Keep it to standard ford oil's and change over every 8k ams preventively. She ain't a performance machine.

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th May 2014 at 14:48.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 17:32   #9287
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 126
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Okay, so I got my service done at Metro Ford in St Marks road on Saturday. Great experience overall. Standard 20k/2 year service. It cost me 4690 bucks for all oils changed. Plus, they changed the rear shock absorbers under warranty since they felt it was weak. Super. Car rides really well now. Apparently the rear torsion beam was called for replacement, and they did check and noticed that it was replaced. So thats cool.

The power steering hose was called for replacement only on the petrol models - was what i was told.

I also noticed the oil sump...and I am not happy at all. It really needs some kind of protection. I'm amazed nobody's got this done yet. No aluminum fabricated sump guards?

Changed over to Osram NB - saw that there's something called NB Plus which costs a crazy 2200 bucks. No thank you. Also got a nice new horn done.

Great experience with Metro Ford. First time in my life I didn't stand around the car like an ape with an OCD issue the whole service. I dropped it off and went back and collected the car in the afternoon.

Beginning to enjoy this little "blue collar worker" car (also call her the honest man's car). She's named Hathikuli - its TATA's biggest tea estate in Assam which I visited and stayed at last year (Kaziranga). And the car reminds me of a baby elephant.

I've decided I'm not doing synthetic or any of that. Keep it to standard ford oil's and change over every 8k ams preventively. She ain't a performance machine.
If well maintained, the Figo is known to be trouble free for a longer period. 10K service intervals seems to be in the range of 4k-6k for many (part replacements excluded though).

I agree with you on the oil sump, but how good will an outside job be, has been the question. And how much did the Osram NB cost, did you have to do any extra wiring?.

True she ain't a highway scorcher, if interested you could add a racechip & spice things up. I am planning for one shortly (by Sept'14 hopefully).

Last edited by Venkat_Figo : 5th May 2014 at 17:35.
Venkat_Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 20:44   #9288
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 396 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
If well maintained, the Figo is known to be trouble free for a longer period. 10K service intervals seems to be in the range of 4k-6k for many (part replacements excluded though).

I agree with you on the oil sump, but how good will an outside job be, has been the question. And how much did the Osram NB cost, did you have to do any extra wiring?.

True she ain't a highway scorcher, if interested you could add a racechip & spice things up. I am planning for one shortly (by Sept'14 hopefully).
Osram cost me 1100 bucks. No wiring. Plug and play like the others mentioned.

Outside job, well I know viji from.swastik fabs well, let's see if he wants to make a guard in bulk for some of us.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 21:51   #9289
BHPian
 
devilwearsprada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 30km. from IGI.
Posts: 387
Thanked: 520 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The ECU reset and it adjusting to your driving habits is something new to me.
Yes, I have a petrol as well which has Free Flow Exhaust as well as a Cold Air Intake, so the ECU adjusting itself to the way I drive will be more or less the same as it is for me now since I floor the accelerator quite often .
A short report of my car can be read from the link below,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...igo-1-2-a.html
Sorry for opening this thread, but can you guide me for a CAI install on the figo?
devilwearsprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 09:01   #9290
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,911
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Sorry for opening this thread, but can you guide me for a CAI install on the figo?
Mine was done at RRP, Bangalore.
The CAI came as a kit from BMC which included the filter, filter case, and the RAM intake pipe.
I am guessing the fitting is quite straight forward except removing the stock air box ,which is a pain. The pipe from the filter to the throttle body is stock.

Make sure the RAM intake pipe is connected all the way to the grill as shown in the last page of my ownership link, or else it will be a Hot Air intake instead.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 23:01   #9291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 177
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

My uncle gave his 1.5 year old 1,06,000 kms run Figo diesel to get it serviced by me.
Before handing it over to my FNG mechanic, I took a test drive and found out there was a humming noise. My mechanic also took a TD and found the same.

We then inspected the wheel bearings as the noise was similar to that of a worn out bearing. Nope, it was not the wheel bearing but the gearbox.
We decided to change the gear oil only to find out there is no drain plug. We had to remove the drive shafts and drain the oil from there.

Filled the gear box with 75W80 Shell Spirax FS transmission oil. The noise has reduced considerably.

I wonder why Ford uses a "sealed for lifetime gearbox". Extending drain intervals is one thing but completely doing away with oil change is too much.
interc00led is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 12:36   #9292
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,037
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Folks

Has anybody tried System D in their diesel Figo? I am asking because I've been using System G on my petrol Fiesta once in a while. The manual recommends it for the Fiesta.

Not sure if the Figo manual recommends System D. Any pointers?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 15:24   #9293
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 86
Thanked: 52 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
My uncle gave his 1.5 year old 1,06,000 kms run Figo diesel to get it serviced by me.
Are you serious??? That's 200km everyday for the last one and half years!!! These figures would stand right up there for reliability for any car from any manufacturer anywhere in the world.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 15:29   #9294
BHPian
 
EFF-EIGHT-BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Patiala
Posts: 174
Thanked: 83 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks

Has anybody tried System D in their diesel Figo? I am asking because I've been using System G on my petrol Fiesta once in a while. The manual recommends it for the Fiesta.

Not sure if the Figo manual recommends System D. Any pointers?
No don't use any additives! The manual specifically states the same however they do recommend the system g for petrol but not for diesel.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 19:07   #9295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 177
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks

Has anybody tried System D in their diesel Figo? I am asking because I've been using System G on my petrol Fiesta once in a while. The manual recommends it for the Fiesta.

Not sure if the Figo manual recommends System D. Any pointers?
You can use System D in diesel Figo.
I have noticed this system D to make significant improvement in IDI engines but found little difference in common rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Are you serious??? That's 200km everyday for the last one and half years!!! These figures would stand right up there for reliability for any car from any manufacturer anywhere in the world.
Yes.

Reliability is good. My only grouse is lack of genuine spares in market which forces the customers to visit ASC for almost every repair.
Some excellent quality after market consumables are available in the market such as Sakura oil filters, Arrowhead air filters,KBX(now bosch) brake pads, Monroe struts, Rane stabilizer links and ball joints etc.

At 1,06,000kms,
We overhauled the suspension by replacing the struts, links and bushes.
Engine C mount was also replaced as the entire cabin was shaking.
Steering column has some play and is making noise over rough patches of road.
Timing belt and tensioners needs to be replaced at the ASC as soon as possible.

Engine is making knocking sound for 2-3 secs at idle every now and then. FE and performance is good but the knocking sound is too much during acceleration. I and my mechanic think it is due to worn-out injector nozzles.

Last edited by interc00led : 10th May 2014 at 19:09.
interc00led is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 22:26   #9296
BHPian
 
supertinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 697
Thanked: 321 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
It's not 'a bit' heavier but significantly heavy than almost all EPS cars. I have never compared it to a HPS though. As said above, at Parking Speeds, the Figo steering is heavy.
However, as you say, the feedback it gives once you decent speeds is brilliant and again not like anything I have driven so far.
It's safe to say that Figo has made me a fan of the HPS systems!
Its true that Figo's HPS is heavier at idle compared to EPS but I still find it reasonably light. I also have a Ford Ikon Flair, the HPS on that car is even more heavier than Figo's. Its all about relative comparison scale .
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 22:40   #9297
BHPian
 
EFF-EIGHT-BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Patiala
Posts: 174
Thanked: 83 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I also have a Ford Ikon Flair, the HPS on that car is even more heavier than Figo's. Its all about relative comparison scale .
Yes, it all depends upon one's comparison scale. Like for me who migrated from M800 to figo, I actually found it feather light! But even then its manageable, one can negotiate slow traffic turns pretty much with one hand.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 23:10   #9298
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Are you sure there was no drain plug? As for the filler, I think it should be under the gear shifter, around the reverse light switch.....did you check there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
We decided to change the gear oil only to find out there is no drain plug. We had to remove the drive shafts and drain the oil from there.

Filled the gear box with 75W80 Shell Spirax FS transmission oil. The noise has reduced considerably.

I wonder why Ford uses a "sealed for lifetime gearbox". Extending drain intervals is one thing but completely doing away with oil change is too much.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 00:04   #9299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 177
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Are you sure there was no drain plug?
There is a filler plug near to the breather tube. The only way to drain the oil is by removing a drive shaft and jacking-up the other side of the car.

As ford says, this gearbox is filled for lifetime. You only top-up the transmission oil when some oil is lost during drive shaft removal/replacement.
interc00led is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 00:39   #9300
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Thanks for the info. Will have to check because I cannot immediately locate it in my mind. Would it be possible for you to post a pic? Did you get any pics while getting the work done?

Also, even if there's just a filler plug, you can still remove the oil. You basically would then need to suck out the oil & I am not sure about India, but one does get pump sort of things abroad through which oil can be removed & then new oil can be poured back based on the amount of oil that came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
There is a filler plug near to the breather tube. The only way to drain the oil is by removing a drive shaft and jacking-up the other side of the car.

As ford says, this gearbox is filled for lifetime. You only top-up the transmission oil when some oil is lost during drive shaft removal/replacement.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 869 6th December 2016 10:20
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:41.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks