Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th February 2015, 11:29   #9856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
During my 40K service (2.8 years old figo) ....
Assuming battery was dead, i was calling amron dealers to find out new battery prices. Amaron FLO Din 45 Ah with 18 months warranty and 18 months guarantee (not sure what is this ) was quoted at 4,000 rupees . This includes 700 rupee exchange for old battery.

By the way, please tell us brand of 90-100 bulb you are using in car. Any improvement on headlights after upgrade. Any effect on reflectors due to higher than mentioned wattage bulbs? have you used cut-outs to fix the 90-100 bulbs?
Sorry for the late reply.
I have Phillips rally bulbs installed since a year and half. There has been no effect whatsoever on the headlight reflectors. Since the figo is hardly used, may have not really put extra stress on the headlights with my driving usage, so cant confidently say there wont be any effect with more night driving over the long run.

Have used a minda wiring kit and since the figo has a cap cover behind the headlight that covers the bulbs, couldn't plug the wiring kit holder into the bulb holder, had to cut a hole in each cap to fit the holder directly. Haven't had any moisture issues at all.
Hope this helps you.

Regarding another bhpian query about brake pads. I changed my front brake pads at 31k km, but did so at an outside garage using Bosh brake pads. Total cost came to around 1.2k or 1,500 rupees Not really sure. My warranty had totally expired so that's the reason dint go to ford. No problems with the braking performance till now.

Regards.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 10th February 2015 at 11:30.
rambo1o1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 19:42   #9857
BANNED

Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

My woes with the high cost of repairs and frequent break-down of my Figo continue. Around 10-12 days back, the car stalled in the middle of the road. My wife was driving it at that time. Fortunately for her, since it was a Saturday I was at home and the car had broken down just 3 Km away from my residence.

I reached the spot and tried to diagnose the problem. The battery was fine, the starter motor was cranking but the engine was not coming to life. I got the car towed to Auto Engineers, an independent garage in Sector 16 Noida. The technicians there could not diagnose the problem and I had to leave the car with them .

The next day, they got hold of a technician who plugged in his scanner. The scanner gave out an error code. However, since the workshop did not have the workshop manual, they could not interpret the error code. Mr. Ghai, the propreitor of the workshop googled the error code and it pointed towards the crankshaft sensor. Mr Ghai got his mecanic to open up the car to reach the crankshaft sensor. They found the wire going to the crankshaft sensor disconnected. On connecting the wire, the engine started.

The wire had got disconnected as the belt had worn out and got frayed. A part of the belt had got entangled with the crankshaft sensor wire and pulled it free. I would like to point out that the belt had been replaced less than 7K km earlier at Noida Ford ( when the Odo reading as around 57 K). That visit was also a break-down visit and had set me back by approximately Rs 17 K. The car went for regular service at 60 K and then again at 63 K ( when the wheel bearings and some suspension and steering components were replaced at a cost of Rs 27 K) . The odo reading at this breakdown was 66.3 K.

Since the car is out of warranty, I took it to Auto Engineers. The total cost of repairs came to Rs 3200. I am sure that Ford Service centre whould have chareged me a bom for the same work.

Keeping my fingers crossed . The high maintenance cost has negated any money I would have saved on the fuel cost over the last 4 years. This is surely the first and last Ford I will own. I am totally frustrated by the frequent break downs, high repair costs and poor service provided by Ford Service. Till a year back, I used to recommend the Figo to my friends. Now I tell them to avoid buying a Ford Car. The poor experience of Ford Car owners is one reason that why this brand is not doing well in India even after 15 years of its presence in the country.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 15:24   #9858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
My woes with the high cost of repairs and frequent break-down of my Figo continue. ......... Till a year back, I used to recommend the Figo to my friends. Now I tell them to avoid buying a Ford Car. The poor experience of Ford Car owners is one reason that why this brand is not doing well in India even after 15 years of its presence in the country.
Sad to hear your figo is giving you frequent and costly problems.
Till now my 4 year old petrol figo had been touchwood, no problems. Hope it continues like this for a long time but looking at increasing number of longterm reliability gremlins, don't how long this honeymoon period will continue before it pinches my pocket.

I feel ford has really cut corners when it comes to quality of parts. Have seen umpteen number of recurring issues with AC, suspension, sensors, steering shafts.
I dont think its anything to do with the design of the figo, its the same car as the old mark 5 fiesta sold in Europe many years ago, which was fairly reliable, so ford has definitely cut corners in parts quality.
If ford doesn't get its act together and continues with poor quality of parts, the new figo wont be any different than its predecessor :-(

i agree with you that it gets difficult to recommend the figo to others and if longterm reliability is suspect, resale value takes a beating.
Ford should, atleast to give current customers some relief, sell parts in the open market and not force us to rely on sometimes incompetent and expensive service centers.

Hope this is the last of your troubles :-)

On a side note, is there any way one can procure the 1.2 petrol figo workshop manuals? Is it available online?
rambo1o1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 22:14   #9859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I also declined a suggestion to replace the front brake pads and said I'd do it in the next service. I'd not sensed any lack in the brake feel so far. This apart, my Fiesta's front rotors and brake pads were changed only when the odo was around 46 K.

By the way, how many owners changed their front brake pads at 30 K kms? And how much was the cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am surprised they did not suggest replacing the rotors as well or only the rotors instead of the pads.

My last two services (28k and 34k kms), they said the rotors needs to be replaced due to scratches. I took the SA and made him slide his fingers on the disc and he still did not want to agree that the discs were okay.

I instead asked him to replace the pads which he did not agree to do. I did not want to make a scene and there was nothing wrong with the braking either , so left it at that.
This is standard practice by the Service advisers.
I was also advised to change pads and Rotors during my last service which was in March-April 2014.
They don't even inspect the rotors or the Pads and simply push for replacements.

I knew that the pads were good because at around 7000-8000KM pads were replaced under warranty.
So the new pads had hardly done 22,000 - 24,000 KM and there no way these pads can ware down so quickly. (and yes I had opened up the pads and inspected it once before giving it for service) They had 40% Life left. could easily do another 20-25 thousand Kilometers.

I have strictly told them not to replace the Rotors or the pads at all until they are fully worn out.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 13:56   #9860
BHPian

Guys, my Figo's dual tone horn is malfunctioning. Quite often, only one type of sound comes out of it. Pardon my knowledge, but does dual tone mean, there are two horns? I was trying to locate the horn to see if any electrical connection is loose but couldn't locate the horn. Where is it placed in the engine bay?
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 22:42   #9861
BHPian

Finally changed thetires on my Dec. 2010 Ford Figo at Madhus Enterprises, Bangalore today. I have upgraded from 175/65R14 to 195/55R15 on stock Tata Manza rims. The only brands with this size were Yoko S-drive and Conti CPC2. The other option I had was 185/65R14. The staff (Mr.Ravi) was very helpful. Couldn't get to meet Nikhil though. I chose Conti CPC in 195/55R15 for INR 5600/- per tire. Plus INR 700/- for WB&WA. I have retained my stock rims for sometime in case I run into trouble. My spare is still 175/65R14 Goodyear Assurance. I hope that will not be a problem in case of a puncture.
Driven about 50 kms today and it is silent, but otherwise too early to review. I also hope to upgrade to 15" alloys at a later date. Any coments and/or advice would be welcome.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 23:31   #9862
Senior - BHPian

Shipnil, the horns are behind the bumper you would not be able to see them from under the bonnet, you will have to see them from underneath.
I would suggest you to contact the Ford A.S.S if the car is in warranty. They would be able to replace the set of horns for you. I faced the same problem with my car. The horns were declared to be water damaged. and were covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, my Figo's dual tone horn is malfunctioning. Quite often, only one type of sound comes out of it. Pardon my knowledge, but does dual tone mean, there are two horns? I was trying to locate the horn to see if any electrical connection is loose but couldn't locate the horn. Where is it placed in the engine bay?
desideep is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 01:11   #9863
BHPian

Got the 50K Service done today. Paid Rs.4268. The following are the details.

I guess I should have avoided Wheel Balancing, Alignment & Engine Waxing. I could have saved Rs.1200. But time has compelled me not to say no.

What do you say folks?

Also the best part is that they gave back my Figo in less than 4 Hours.
Attached Images

G V Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 13:59   #9864
Senior - BHPian

For last few services I got the happy pocket service done.

In addition to that I used to buy the Air filter. The happy pocket service included Vehicle inspection report, oil change, Oil Filter, gaskets and stuff, washing and labour.

It used to cost under 2500 RS.
desideep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 22:21   #9865
BHPian

Today i drove to Coimbatore from Chennai and i fell in love with the car again. Every time i hit the highway the like towards my car increases. Add to that with RD box now its a blast in highway. To me RD box increases the already good mid end to get wild. @ 100 with a push in the throttle, the car don't hesitate to build speed unlike the stock setup.

What i feel with the RD box is that, it doesn't do anything to low end or the top speed, it just gives the engine the eagerness to reach the top speed faster than stock.

With bit more power, and with the car's brilliant dynamics its a hoot to drive.

Its gona be a tough task to find the right replacement/upgrade next.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 23:20   #9866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
What i feel with the RD box is that, it doesn't do anything to low end or the top speed, it just gives the engine the eagerness to reach the top speed faster than stock.
Out of the available hatchback diesel engines, 1.6TDI in the polo is the best. I would go to the extent of saying that, there is no hatch that deserves that engine more than the figo (the punto would be too heavy) - now "that" would have been really nice.
venkyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 23:22   #9867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post

Its gona be a tough task to find the right replacement/upgrade next.
Very simple...Polo gt Tsi/TDI/tjet Punto. Remap any of them!
d_himan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 08:38   #9868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Very simple...Polo gt Tsi/TDI/tjet Punto. Remap any of them!
Yes I did TDed both, Punto with a remap is what is on my mind. But the infamous ASC is trouble some but hearing it is improving. Gt TSI, the EPS is a BIG let down for me.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 22:29   #9869
BHPian

New continental CPC2, only 3 days old and have picked up a puncture already. That too near the shoulder so mushroom patch could not be put and ordinary plug used. Am very sceptical. The first sign of worn tires for me is puncture susceptibility.
Hope it is just bad luck. Can't afford to throw 23k into the drain.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 09:19   #9870
BHPian

Recently did the 70,000 km service. The bill was around Rs.5500 mainly oil change. Did wheel balancing & alignment also.

I am facing an issue of the speedometer not working on and off. The speedo suddenly stops working and restarts on its own after a few minutes. Attended during the service but the problem persists.

I was told that the engine bed is weak and needs replacement (Rs.4000). Has any one replaced this?
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote