Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd February 2010, 14:41   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Ananth,

hearty congrats on the purchase.

can you enlighten me on two points
a) when do you engage "W" - I assume this is the winter mode? Will it be also useful in sand?

what role, if any, a part time 4WD can play - are they tools for different scenarios altogether or they are equivalent tools for same ground condition?

Can W be engaged while you are moving?

b) another gentleman I know non-tbhp said that he is pretty disappointed with the cornering with AT, he says when he turns and drops speed somewhat there is a gear shift and a lurch, have you felt it?

Cheers
As far as I know the only difference if you use the W mode is that the vehicle starts in the second gear and that would be useful on ice / snow where traction is low (please correct me friends for I maybe) If that is true, there is nothing to be gained by changing to W mode when moving.

4WD - I am not a good source. I have anyway opted for a 2WD

I am getting the vehicle in another 2 hrs from now. I will confirm to you on gear changes etc in a couple of days.

Last edited by ananth_iy : 3rd February 2010 at 14:43.
ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:23   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
As far as I know the only difference if you use the W mode is that the vehicle starts in the second gear and that would be useful on ice / snow where traction is low (please correct me friends for I maybe) If that is true, there is nothing to be gained by changing to W mode when moving.
This is right. W starts the car in second gear thereby decreasing torque to the wheels and preventing wheel spin/slippage. No point in using this mode for an already moving vehicle.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats a great car...Congrats!!! do post a detailed review.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:30   #34
BHPian

Default Got delivery today

Today was the D-Day. The dealer was to take the car to the RTO in the morning and the promised delivery time was between 4PM-5PM.

When he called me around 10AM to check on the address to register, honestly I got a little nervous - did he not get it right, is he not going to get it registered today. Done with all the clarifications I placed the phone down only to call him back to ask if he is really going to get it registered and delivered today. What with many horror stories on this board, I really did not know what to expect. Anyway, he assured me that all was well and it would indeed get delivered today.

I spent the rest of the day putting all thoughts behind me and trying to focus on work. After lunch I managed to arrange for a ride in my office Qualis that was anyway headed to the airport at around 3:30PM. Had made arrangements for my wife and kids to get picked up at home and dropped off at the dealer's at 4PM as well. Well the most / second most excited person in the house is my 9 yr old after all.

Was on the way to the dealer via the airport, when at around 3:45PM the dealer called me. The question was - where was I? I told him that I was headed his way and asked him what's up. He was like, the car is waiting for you and so are we. That really surprised me. Rarely do you expect in India to hear that someone is ready for you 15 minutes before committed time. (Well truly with regards to timeframes and service, CAI has been really good with me. They said I would get the vehicle in 4-6 weeks and it came on the Friday before the 6 weeks were up. They told me 4PM and the vehicle was actually ready before that.)

My wife and kids got to the dealer a few minutes before I did and didn't have to told which one was our beast - what with the huge stickers on the side claddings you could never miss it. I am sure anyone on the roads in CBE would recognize me now

All the papers were ready - the registration, the insurance, the manuals, the kits and all the staff waiting to do the puja. Once I put my sigs down in a couple of places, we stepped out and they performed a puja on the vehicle (photos attached) the keys were handed to me and off we went after smashing the lemons placed under the wheels.

Needless to the say, with all good advice I had taken a box of good chocolates for the staff, rewarded the person who did the puja more than adequately and profusely thanked my sales person for his great service before I left the dealer's.

Now the next post will start off on the driving experience.
Attached Thumbnails
The Hawk has landed - Scorpio AT with Airbags-dsc00277.jpg  

The Hawk has landed - Scorpio AT with Airbags-dsc00278.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 22:53   #35
BHPian

The vehicle rolled smoothly to the gate. For its size it handles pretty easy. Finished off the gate pass formalities at the front gate and rolled out on the road. Now, my friends at CAI had actually given me a 10L fuel coupon in addition to the 5L of fuel in the tank. The coupon was to redeemed at a BP outlet a few hundred metres away. so, I dutifully rolled into the BP outlet got my "free fuel" and got back onto the road.

I had to get to the right most lane to make a U-turn and there was an auto in front of me. For a moment I forgot I was in a Scorp (I thought I was still in my Santro) so I dutifully got behind the auto. Then realization dawned upon me and I quickly did an overtaking maneovour and got in front of the auto. Got to the gap in the divider and got ready for the U-turn. I was on a 3-lane road and expected my u-turn to take me to the leftmost lane and was pleasantly surprised when I ended up in the center lane and that too comfortably. I have seen other SUVs (Scorps included) take u-turns and felt they always ended up much wider. Now I am not so sure if that is a factor of the capability of the vehicle or just the way the driver likes to do it.

Now came the real drive - traffic was heavy and I was rolling at 40-50 with frequent stops. I was definitely getting much more respect and my wife noticed that 2 wheelers were suddenly thinking before deciding not to cut in front of me - wow that is quite a change from the Santro. The engine was not too happy - it was begging to get to higher speeds but there was really no space for that. I felt that the transmission was hunting a bit for the gears but that it does in my Santro as well when I get really close to the point where it wants to change gears and I don't push it beyond that speed. In my Santro I know the changes are at 20-40-60 - I haven't as yet figured the Scorp. I feel once I figure out the change points the hunting will ease. Anyway, kept coasting away took corners much slower not because of limitations of the vehicle but just wanted to get used to size and dynamics before I pushed it.
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

congratulations once again ananth. i can experience the joy you must be feeling riving around your new scorpio.

scorpio's always a breeze to drive but as you said, its always better to get accustomed to the car before trying out new antics. happy motoring.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:29   #37
BHPian

Then I hit an empty stretch of bypass road and pushed down a bit. Suddenly there was a buzzing alarm sound that started off. That got me really worried the first time. I checked to see if seat belts were on and everything was. I decided to ignore and pushed down again and it went off once again. Then I noticed that it was going off when I crossed 60kmph and recollected the Speed Alert function. Turns out my smart dealer had reset it to 60kmph to warn me that it was too early to start pushing my vehicle to much higher speeds. Anyway, that made my wife extremely happy. She has been used to me driving the Santro as though I am going through an obstacle course (which our roads sometime are) and here I was behaving myself with a Scorp.

Got to the Athupalam toll gate. This is a toll that is really a fleece. L&T has been collecting toll for years for constructing a small bridge. Anyway, I had my Q pass for my Santro and decided I wasn't going to pay extra for the Scorp. The pass was somewhere in my laptop bag that was safely resting in the third row. I had forgotten to take it out and display it. For a moment I considered rolling down the window to explain to him that I had a pass but then I felt to hell with it. The guys normally jump in front of the vehicle if it is a Santro but in this case he made a feeble attempt to stick a hand out while keeping himself quite clear of the road - and I kept rolling.

After a pretty uneventful stretch of road got home. Now came the time for all those nagging doubts to be cleared - will it enter the gate, will it fit in the parking garage,... Lo and behold it did both and quite comfortably. Just that I will now have to figure out if the Santro and Scorp will both fit. Visually it does seem it will squeeze but only time will tell. I had tactically left the Santro for a service this morning with instructions to get some body work done as well (an idiot scooterist had rammed into my right rear and caused a dent that was really painful). That ensured that the Santro would be out for a couple of days with only the Scorp in the lot. Time enough to get used to its size in the lot.

Now for the extra comments:
Airbag lights seem to working fine so does ABS etc.

Transmission does look good and the jagged slotting is nice.

Engine is great - just that there is a difference between a diesel and petrol that I have to get used to. It starts with a bit of a shudder and stops the same way as well. Will figure more tomorrow, I have an upslope to tackle and can real feel the pulling when I do that.

First and second row of seats are really good - thigh support and back and neck support are excellent. Third row is probably better than some competition but obviously meant for kids. The contoured hugging seats that are being advertised don't really look as contoured as they are made out to be - but none the less they are comfortable. The handrest on the second row in the middle is quite useless in the way it is positioned.

I really loved the rear sensors. They are just a divine intervention and is really quite a gadget that is superbly integrated with the rear-view mirrors.

The cup holders with the grips are now good for all sizes of bottles and cups.

I really did not find anything blue about the bluevision lights. If anyone else did please enlighten me.

I really like the twinpod instrument cluster - so much more scope for information sharing.

Now the things that are bothering me:

1) My steering tilt lever is not getting depressed. I know I tried it on the vehicle in the showroom and it worked. I am not sure why mine just doesn't go down how much ever I try. I have to ask tomorrow. Not sure if it is blocked because of the airbags - anyone else have the beast with the airbags where the tilt works?

2) I hear no voice messages from Voice Messaging System - I know a lot of people on this forum had expressed views that the VMS was irritating but I found in the manual that there was a way to disable some of the messages if you did not like them while retaining the ones that you liked. Anyway, in mine I do not hear any messages at all. I tried enabling using the VMS button in the glovebox as per instructions in the manual but with no success.

3) My interior lights in the third row are really bad. There seems to be some sort of loose connection with the switch and it doesn't go on unless left at a particular position. Bad quality is a matter of concern.

I haven't tried the audio system, the bluetooth or the cruise control.

Overall I am happy expect for those few irritants above.
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Thats a great car...Congrats!!! do post a detailed review.
Thanks Kaushik. I would be doing an injustice if I did not post a review. So, I have started off with three posts above. The more you ask the more I will observe and realize.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post

2) I hear no voice messages from Voice Messaging System - I know a lot of people on this forum had expressed views that the VMS was irritating but I found in the manual that there was a way to disable some of the messages if you did not like them while retaining the ones that you liked. Anyway, in mine I do not hear any messages at all. I tried enabling using the VMS button in the glovebox as per instructions in the manual but with no success.
One down on the irritants - the VMS works now. Looks like it was disabled at delivery and the steps as per manual did enable it. It is just that there is some setting by which if you just stopped your vehicle and turned it back on then it doesn't play the welcome message and that is why I wasn't hearing the message last night. Switched the ignition on this morning and heard the message. Actually made me feel good. Not sure how many more times I will keep feeling good - but then I can always turn it off.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Ananth,

b) another gentleman I know non-tbhp said that he is pretty disappointed with the cornering with AT, he says when he turns and drops speed somewhat there is a gear shift and a lurch, have you felt it?

Cheers
Here is my input on that after 2 days on the road. The AT does NOT behave strangely at all. The gears change based on the speed of the vehicle which is normal for any AT. It is just a matter of figuring out the change points and avoiding them - eg. I believe, in the Scorpio AT, it changes from 1st to 2nd at 15kmph. If you drop your speed to even 14 kmph when taking a turn, the vehicle will downshift. All you need to do is to keep it at 15 or above and then it will not bother you.

If you notice my earlier post I had mentioned that the vehicle seemed to be hunting gears on day 1 but with day 2 I now know where it will downshift and I try and keep it above that to avoid unnecessary gear changes.

Scorpio AT Owners,

I need some input from you.

I feel the vehicle does not have good pick-up in the 2nd, it really is sluggish - maybe because it shifts to 2nd too soon. What is your take on it? Or is it a problem of me comparing my Petrol Santro AT with a diesel Scorpio AT?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th February 2010 at 20:19. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 13:58   #41
BHPian

I felt the same initially, but when you press the pedal "hard" it does pickup like manual. I had mHawk VLX manual previous to this and now after 2K kms I don't feel much difference provided you press the pedal hard every time. I am not sure how the TCU is calibrated but its different for light pedal and hard pedal for sure.

-Pramod
PS: I current have AT 4wd with Airbags
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 09:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I felt the same initially, but when you press the pedal "hard" it does pickup like manual. I had mHawk VLX manual previous to this and now after 2K kms I don't feel much difference provided you press the pedal hard every time. I am not sure how the TCU is calibrated but its different for light pedal and hard pedal for sure.

-Pramod
PS: I current have AT 4wd with Airbags
Thanks Pramod. You are indeed right. I tried and it works too. I guess I was being a little extra cautious with my foot.

Does you tilt steering work?
Old 6th February 2010, 11:00   #43
BHPian

Ananth,

Great buy!

Have safe ride!

See you on Roads!
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 15:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hey ananth, keeping track on your updates, it was nice on the initial drive report.

Glad that adjusting to gear changes is not much time job, and you adjusted quite quickly.

What happened to the dent and how did it happen ? Time to install bullguards to prevent such mishaps.

Hope the steering is shifting now.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hey ananth, keeping track on your updates, it was nice on the initial drive report.

Glad that adjusting to gear changes is not much time job, and you adjusted quite quickly.

What happened to the dent and how did it happen ? Time to install bullguards to prevent such mishaps.

Hope the steering is shifting now.
Dent? What dent are you talking about? Do you see something that I don't?