Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th February 2010, 03:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Looks quite butch and cool, dude!
Congrats and enjoy the ride

PS: would love to see some interior snaps!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:26   #32
BHPian

Congratulations budy. Definetly a better buy than the XYLO. What turns me off fromt eh XYLO is its looks however better it may be in any other areas doesn't matter.
I did love to see a bit bulgier fenders like the ones on the Xenon.
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:09   #33
BHPian

Sorry for the late updates. Caught up in the office work load. Thanks to all the congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Congratulations Arul. Also any pictures on interiors?

Please keep us all posted with your experience. How did you find the interiors? Likes and dislikes?

I basically find it the UV for somebody who doesn't mind discreteness (Sumo badge is an advantage here!) and need something not too expensive to drive around.
I will take the photographs of the interiors this coming weekend and post them. I tend to agree on the not too expensive part, but it does not seen to discreet because of the sheer size, the height mainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysurfs View Post
Congratulations Arul on your new ride.

A stupid question though, why not consider Safari (may be the base version) over Sumo Grande?
Both of them carry the same engine and deliver similar output figures on FE/Performance.
personally i feel the oomph factor is more for Safari

How do they compare in Sumo vis-a-vis safari?
The only reason I did not go for the Safari since it does not have a third row of seats. In all other aspects I prefer a Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
AFAIK it doesnot come with blackend pillars. Those should be aftermarket stickers. Arul correct me if I am wrong please.
Yes you are right. These are after market stickers, 3M. I thought that gives a better look. I also applied them in the rear, a long strip connecting the rear fog lights in order to break the monotony. That broke my wallet also by 5000 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Kalinga,

IMHO Grande's Key drawback is its Dash board which SHOO Away many.
Full console box between fron seats & bottle holders on rear door pockets are much needed for a family MUV.
Grande.
Yes the dashboard is really an outdated design, but the feel of the plastic now is good.
Tata Motors have sealed the bottle holders meant for the middle row passengers located between the two front seats The availability of the same mentioned in the manuals and present in the demo car. When I mailed them I have been informed that they will amend the manual to remove this.
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 15:01   #34
BHPian

First Service Experiences:
The service was due between 1000 and 1500 KM
I had given the following points to be attended:

Steering Wheel offset by 15 to 20 degrees when the front wheels are straight:
Rear right door rattling
Rear left door misalignment
booming noise between 1700-200 rpm
Loose front right door beading
Difficulty in engaging first gear

I also got the under body/anti rust coating done

I left the car with them on 3rd Feb 9 am and got it back on 5th around 1130 the car was delivered at my office and was told that all problems have been attended to.
But the steering wheel offset and first gear shift difficulty have not been attended at all.
But a couple of new problems have been introduced:
Rear right door now is misaligned. Front right door is more difficult to close now. I end up with at least two attempts to close it.

When I informed the service advisor of these issues, he has promised to get the car back and address all these again. I am planning to send the car during next week.

I had taken the car on another trip to Salem/Namakkal last week after the first service. I felt that the car was a little smoother to run than the first trip

The average also was about 13.75 Kmpl compared to the 12.5 of my first trip.
I am yet to do decent mileage within the city limits to find out in mileage.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:49   #35
BHPian

congrats on the smart choice, more pics and regular updates needed
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 09:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I will take the photographs of the interiors this coming weekend and post them. I tend to agree on the not too expensive part, but it does not seen to discreet because of the sheer size, the height mainly.
I agree with you completely. I meant discrete in terms of image. I mean nobody will start viewing you as the guy with expensive 'SUV'. Its a Sumo after all. To me its a big advantage. I hate (and do not depend upon) hearing uninvited comments from strangers on my personal choices.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 12:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arulpeem

I am really interest in knowing on how well your Grande MKII fares, as me & my brother are interested in butying the same for our joint family. My cousin & her husband have a 2 years old Safari (top-end) & they have not faced any problems with it despite using the vehicle liberally, unlike many in the forum who would complain about Tata quality.

The mileage figures are good & in my iopinion, there should be around 11 kmpl in city once the engine settles down

Please accept my congratulations & good wishes.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 10:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations once again Arul , About the steering misalignment please check that you are not observing any pull towards left / right as well.

Quote:

Tata Motors have sealed the bottle holders meant for the middle row passengers located between the two front seats The availability of the same mentioned in the manuals and present in the demo car. When I mailed them I have been informed that they will amend the manual to remove this.
It's so cheap of them , Why don't you right back Cing all the top guns that you were promised bottle holders by virtue or Demo car and manual so what needs to be fixed is product and not the manual.
In case it is absolutely impossible for them to offer bottle holders they should offer you some sort of compensation for loss of this feature

Who knows they might offer some accessories .
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 14:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default How are you?

Hi Arulpeem

IT has been a long time since you posted your experience. Hope you are enjoying the workhorse.

Plz reply.
Old 30th March 2010, 10:50   #40
BHPian

Sorry guys for giving any sort of updates.

I have logged a lot of mileage in the two months of ownership. 4850Km till date. Since I am planning to drive down to Masinagudi this Thursday evening, I have left the vehicle for the 2nd service which is normally due at 5000-5500 Km.

What I like till date:
  • Seating comfort.
  • Quite drive at around 95 Kmph
  • Decent Mileage. I get around 13.25 to 13.75 on the higways. I normally keep my speed aroung 90- 95 KMph. Within city it gives around 9 to 9.5 km. I always measure tank fill to tank fill
  • Comfortable ride
  • Immense space
  • The driving position,mainly the height that gives an excellent view in the city and highways
  • Aircondtioning is very good.. At 36 degrees I have to keep the fan speed only at the second speed.
  • The headlights are good and lights up the road well

What I don't like:
  • Fit of the doors. The mismatch is bad.
  • The quality of servicing. Only on my third visit to the service station the steering wheel offset was corrected and horn pad changed. But the follow up of TATA Motors Pune is good. Good thing is, every time I took the car from the service station I got calls from Pune and my feedbacks were immediately passed to Concorde. I think this should have a positive impact
  • Little niggles like the door not closing at the first attempt, wiper blade slipping out its slots and the metal rubbing on the windsheild
  • Often the a/c water drain tube comes off and gives a cold feet to the co passenger
Old 30th March 2010, 11:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
I agree with you completely. I meant discrete in terms of image. I mean nobody will start viewing you as the guy with expensive 'SUV'. Its a Sumo after all. To me its a big advantage. I hate (and do not depend upon) hearing uninvited comments from strangers on my personal choices.
Hi, I get your point and I agree.. No one sees me a rich guy with a big & expensive one. And the fact is I am not one and I wish I were

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi Arulpeem

I am really interest in knowing on how well your Grande MKII fares, as me & my brother are interested in butying the same for our joint family. My cousin & her husband have a 2 years old Safari (top-end) & they have not faced any problems with it despite using the vehicle liberally, unlike many in the forum who would complain about Tata quality.

The mileage figures are good & in my iopinion, there should be around 11 kmpl in city once the engine settles down

Please accept my congratulations & good wishes.
Hope my other update gives you some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Congratulations once again Arul , About the steering misalignment please check that you are not observing any pull towards left / right as well.
They corrected the alignment and now it is fine. There is no pull towards any side when I driving on a flat road.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arulpeem

Thank you for the update. Good to note your FE figures & also other issues that you have liked (these are common on the Tatas).
Similarly few of the problems that you have mentioned, like the AC drain pipe coming off, fit & finish are again common for the Tatas. These alongwith the dis-satisfactory servicing by the service centres need to improve fast so that they do not loose ground to Mahindra (which are coming up with very good products, though any competition amongst these two will only benefit the UV buyers).

Wishing you a wonderful association with the vehicle.

Cardeep

PS : Sincere request, do post your experiences on a regular basis, unlike this time.

Quote:
Sorry guys for giving any sort of updates.

I have logged a lot of mileage in the two months of ownership. 4850Km till date. Since I am planning to drive down to Masinagudi this Thursday evening, I have left the vehicle for the 2nd service which is normally due at 5000-5500 Km.

What I like till date:
  • Seating comfort.
  • Decent Mileage. I get around 13.25 to 13.75 on the higways. I normally keep my speed aroung 90- 95 KMph. Within city it gives around 9 to 9.5 km. I always measure tank fill to tank fill
  • Comfortable ride
  • Immense space
  • The driving position,mainly the height that gives an excellent view in the city and highways
  • Aircondtioning is very good.. At 36 degrees I have to keep the fan speed only at the second speed.

What I don't like:
  • Fit of the doors. The mismatch is bad.
  • The quality of servicing. Only on my third visit to the service station the steering wheel offset was corrected and horn pad changed. But the follow up of TATA Motors Pune is good. Good thing is, every time I took the car from the service station I got calls from Pune and my feedbacks were immediately passed to Concorde. I think this should have a positive impact
  • Little niggles like the door not closing at the first attempt, wiper blade slipping out its slots and the metal rubbing on the windsheild
  • Often the a/c water drain tube comes off and gives a cold feet to the co passenger
Old 1st April 2010, 16:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:

What I like till date:
  • Seating comfort.
  • Comfortable ride
  • Immense space

Since you have Driven a good amount of Vehicle do You Feel Stable at higher speeds I am Just confirming because Apart from Our Driver only I driven Grande in My Family and both us have clocked 150+ on Mumbai Pune Expressway and both of us feel its very stable at that speed.

For AC its very chilled in all the three rows even in baking sun
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 17:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Since you have Driven a good amount of Vehicle do You Feel Stable at higher speeds I am Just confirming because Apart from Our Driver only I driven Grande in My Family and both us have clocked 150+ on Mumbai Pune Expressway and both of us feel its very stable at that speed.

For AC its very chilled in all the three rows even in baking sun
In my last trip I did 120 -130 and the straight line stability was good. I still do not have the mind to push it past that speed at present.May be a bit old for that speed
Old 12th April 2010, 17:24   #45
BHPian

During the Easter week end I went for a long trip to Masinagudi from Chennai..
Just before that got the second free service done even though the vehicle had done only 4800 KM..
The climb up the hills to Ooty via Kothagiri was a breeze.
But shortly after the climb started the speedometer conked off and service light light came on..Did not experience any other problem in the power delivery..So kept going..When I called Concorde motors they confirmed that it could only be a failed speedometer sensor. I managed to crawl down the car to check if the sensor was loose and it was not..

On getting back to Chennai they took the car and changed the sensor, but it took them one and half a days..

I got the wheels also rotated and oil changed even though they were not due according to the manual...

Overall the climb up and down the hills was good and the engine proved to be a very decent performer..