Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st February 2010, 14:07   #1
BHPian

Default Grande MK II Initial Ownership Experience

I am glad to tell you guys that I took delivery of my Grande MK II, GX, 8 seater, Platinum Beige on 27th Jan evening from Concorde Motors Chennai.

On road cost was about Rs 8,53,000. The committed delivery date was 25th evening.

I have taken a couple photographs which I will post later..

I added the following:

3M CR50 sunfilm for the sides & rear and CR 70 for the front. The also got the b and C pillars blackened using 3M black films.
Added the reverse sensors which have the mirror display with the vocal warnings

Delivery experience:
The sales person was honest and did not give any misleading information
I was not impressed with the accessories team. They have dirtied the interiors when fixing the sunfilms. The roof linings are smeared with dark handprints. There was water below the foot mat.

Driving Experience:
Took it up to Salem/Yeracaud/Namakkal last Saturday/Sunday. Returned via Perambalur/Kadalur/Pondy

Mileage was about 12.3 in both legs of the journey. I kept around 90-95 Km speed.

Handling: For the speed of 90-95 KMPH I felt it was ok. On narrow winding roads it at these speeds the body roll is pronounced as expected. On the way up and down to Yercaud in the hairpin bends I was comfortable with the car.

Ride:My father and father in law who are in their mid 70s were very comfortable in the middle seat. My 12 year old daughter who was in the third did not complain when I went through some rough roads in between Namakkal and Preambalur. Between Ulundurpet and Kadalur the road was bad but the passengers were happy the way the car handled the potholes

Engine: I could manage the climb to Yercaud mostly in 3rd gear and 2nd with a very light foot on the accelerator. The engine was pretty quiet just above 200RPM,but between 1700 and 2000 there is a very disconcerting booming noise.
In town the pick up is good even from lower rpms like 1100 or 1200. I did not have to change the gears often.

Gear shift: At times I find it hard to slot the first gear when starting. The rest of the gear changes are acceptable, not very slick.

Others: The door rattles when going over pot holes
The car is due for the its first service which is between 1000 and 1500.I am planning to leave in for service on Wednesday, and will make another trip to Salem this coming week end to drop my parents back. Will give my feedback once I am back from that trip.

Let me know if you need any specific feed backs.

Overall I am happy with the choice..
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 18:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase of TATA Grande MkII. By the way post some pictures of the car.

I think the mileage is a little less, may be this is due to the shorter gearing in the newer version. Is there any vibration when the vehicle is engine is turned on and turned off?

Is the ride quality improved compared to the previous version
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 18:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats..

Has TATA dropped 'SUMO' from its name altogether ?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 18:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

congratulations arul. If i am not wrong, You are the first Grande Mk II owner on TBHP!

what is the top speed of Grande?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 19:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up Arul, Congrats on the car
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 19:10   #6
BHPian

Arul congrats on the car. Everything you said about the car was expected, except for the rattling of the door. Can you check if it gets fixed in the first service.

Please post some pictures of your car.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 19:40   #7
BHPian

Congrats Arul. Since you drove mostly on the highway, did you have the feel of the car not really settling in, in terms of the ride. Xylo has this constant feel that the car's not really settled. Especially in the rear seats, it feels as if its going up and down. Is this better in the Grande? I mean no pogo effect.
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 20:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post

I added the following:

3M CR50 sunfilm for the sides & rear and CR 70 for the front. The also got the b and C pillars blackened using 3M black films.
Added the reverse sensors which have the mirror display with the vocal warnings
Congratulations Arul!
I had a question regarding your add-ons. Did you pay for these or were these freebies from the dealer? If you paid for this, can you please share the costs paid?
Thank you!
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 21:04   #9
BHPian

Congrats Arul.
I was really looking forward for your update. Enjoy the drive and then post more detailed stuff.
yogesh.janghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 21:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude. I test drove the Grande MkII few days and i felt it was better if few aspects compared to Xylo . The middle row seat was really comfortable . It has good lumbar support. A good family vehicle for long journeys.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 21:50   #11
BHPian

Congratulations Arul. Add some pictures asap.

sorry about the door rattle and I hope it gets fixed on the first service.

I have a question regarding the other issues you mentioned:
1) Engine noise between 1700-2000 rpm
2) Hard to slot the first gear

Did you experience any of these during the test drive? I hope the gear slotting problem could be fixed in the service easily but more worried about the engine noise in low rpms.

Folks, is this a tuning issue? Any thoughts why this happens?
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 22:31   #12
BHPian

Hi, congrats on your purchase!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Gear shift: At times I find it hard to slot the first gear when starting. The rest of the gear changes are acceptable, not very slick.
This attribute can best be described as hereditary

Please surf through the Safari 2.2 technical queries/issues whenever you are free. There's lot of enlightening info. over there, hehe.

The gear shift too, i recollect, has been discussed in that thread. Anyways, the quickest workaround is to do a quick shift to 2nd gear, and slot back to 1st (of course, with the clutch depressed).

Cheers, and wishing you many kms of happy motoring!
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 22:42   #13
BHPian

Congratulations Arul, Well Come to Sumo Grande Club although you bought Grande MKII mine is 18 months old with 22k + on odo and trouble free, touch wood no niggling issues so far . I am also getting around FE of between 11 - 12 with Ac.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 1st February 2010 at 22:44.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 22:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Whatever it is, its purely academic. MUV's like Grande are not supposed to be ripped on the streets. Its heavy with a high center of gravity and without ABS. Anything above hundred is not recommended.
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the purchase of TATA Grande MkII. By the way post some pictures of the car.

I think the mileage is a little less, may be this is due to the shorter gearing in the newer version. Is there any vibration when the vehicle is engine is turned on and turned off?

Is the ride quality improved compared to the previous version
I took some pictures and I will post them once my home desk top starts working. The mother board got busted.
I suppose the mileage will increase after the running in and a couple of services.

The ride quality definitely has improved compared to the earlier version. That is why I decided to buy this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Congrats..

Has TATA dropped 'SUMO' from its name altogether ?
No, it is still there..I did not include it

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
congratulations arul. If i am not wrong, You are the first Grande Mk II owner on TBHP!

Thanks. Yes looks like I am the first one. In fact mine was the first delivery for Concorde Motors Chennai..
I do not know the top speed and do not intend to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Nice write up Arul, Congrats on the car
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Arul congrats on the car. Everything you said about the car was expected, except for the rattling of the door. Can you check if it gets fixed in the first service.

Please post some pictures of your car.
Hi, I am giving it for service tomorrow and I am sure that they will fix it. Will post the pictures soon after my home PC is up and running

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
Congrats Arul. Since you drove mostly on the highway, did you have the feel of the car not really settling in, in terms of the ride. Xylo has this constant feel that the car's not really settled. Especially in the rear seats, it feels as if its going up and down. Is this better in the Grande? I mean no pogo effect.
Thanks mate.. I did not feel anything like that sitting in the drivers seat.. If it was there it was not that noticeable. I am going on another trip this week end and I will specifically look for the same. I have not driven a Xylo and therefore not able to compare
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Congratulations Arul!
I had a question regarding your add-ons. Did you pay for these or were these freebies from the dealer? If you paid for this, can you please share the costs paid?
Thank you!
Hi,The freebies I was offered were the door mats and Rs 1600 worth of Sunfilm. I took the door mats and got a discount for the 3M sunfilms that I got fixed.

The 3M sunfilms cost me: Rs 11300/-
The revers sensors: Rs 4700/-
3M black film for the b & c pillars and a strip between the tail lamps: Rs 5500/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.janghel View Post
Congrats Arul.
I was really looking forward for your update. Enjoy the drive and then post more detailed stuff.
Thanks Yogesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Congratulations Arul. Add some pictures asap.

sorry about the door rattle and I hope it gets fixed on the first service.

I have a question regarding the other issues you mentioned:
1) Engine noise between 1700-2000 rpm
2) Hard to slot the first gear

Did you experience any of these during the test drive? I hope the gear slotting problem could be fixed in the service easily but more worried about the engine noise in low rpms.

Folks, is this a tuning issue? Any thoughts why this happens?
No I do not recollect the boom during the test drive. May be the test drive was too short in the city. Also I do not note it when driving in the city.. Probably because I am driving around 1500 rpm range within the city.
During the test drive I did not face the 1st gear shifting issue
I also did

Last edited by Zappo : 10th February 2010 at 03:10. Reason: Consecutive posts
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote