Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th June 2010, 16:14   #46
BHPian

The speeds on highway vary between 80-120. On a normal state/national highway 80-100. On Mum-Pun exp highway 100-120. Highway travel with family (2 adults and 2 kids), sometimes with 4 adults and 2 kids.

GC is not an issue. Earlier sometimes on larger humps the bottom used to touch, but no more. I would say it's a matter of learning the right speed to cross the hump. The part that touches ground is a thick plate under the engine compartment that's specifically given to protect the mechanicals above it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
One question Sir, what speeds do you maintain on the highway and with how many people usually?

Any GC issues that you have faced??
Thanks Shantyrocks! I stay on G B Road behind Muchhala Polytechnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
hey buddy

Nice review of your linea.
Good to know that you are fully satisfied with its performance.
I stay at thane too on pokhran rd no.2
What about you?
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 00:26   #47
BHPian

We've been planning to go out of Mumbai since the begining of monsoon. Finally it happened over the weekend. Decided to go to Pune to see friends and relatives and if possible visit a nearby picnic spot.

9-Jul
Started from Thane on Friday evening 8.45PM. Got late to start and I was expecting traffic on Mum-Pun Eway. Reached the food mall on the Mumbai side (before ghat section) without any hassles. Kids were well asleep by then. Got the tank full at HP Bunk, had a Tea/Coffee break. The ascent towards Pune started and in no time we hit the worst of the traffic where all 3 lanes were blocked by extremly slow moving trucks. At one place on a steep section the car almost came to stand still, desparetly tried to move in 2nd gear using clutch but no use, had to use 1st gear. After the ghat section traffic was OK though it was raining. Reached destination by 11.45PM.

10-Jul
Had a good overnite sleep. Weather in Pune was beautiful as always. Did planning for Sunday picnic over morning cup of tea with my Brother-In-Law.
Place: Surya Shibir
Distance From Pune: 42Kms
More Details: surya shibir

Had planned to spend Satday seeing relatives/friends in Pune. Most of the day went in that.

11-Jul
Had to reach Suryashibir by 9AM. Left Pune at 7.40AM. The drive to Suryashibir is via Khadakvasla thru a pictureseque Sahyadri valley full of lush green mountains, lakes, dams. The road was quite good. Right thru we could go at a 40 - 70 speed range. This meant all thru it was a cruise in 4th gear. I liked and appreciated 4th gear a lot during this entire drive. Last 10Kms was a single lane ghat with lots of holes and uneveness. Those 10Kms took same time as other 32 Odd. Took a couple of breaks for shoot in between. Reached Suryashibir at 9.15AM. Got the entry tickets. Being SUnday it was 300 bucks/head (which included morning breakfast/tea, lunch and evening tea and not mention all the attractions in the park. Had a sumptuous Maharashtrian breakfast (Poha/Farsaan, Misal-Pav, Tea). Then played TT with Bro-In-Law for sometime. By then it started raining. This place is on a hill before Varasgaon Dam. Decided to walk downhill and take a close view of varasgaon lake. Felt really good to walk barefoot on soft soil/mud around the lake. Came back and played obstacle games. By then we were hungry and it was lunch time. Lunch menu included Puri, Shrikhanda, Plain Paratha, Fried Papad, Mix Veg gravy, Sukha bhaji, Veg Raita, Pulav. The food quality was very good. Relaxed for a while and it was almost 3.30 PM by then. Had to reach Thane by evening, hence left the park early. Reached Pune by 5.30PM. Immediately started back towards Thane. It was 5.40PM. Had decided to drive sedately to achieve good mileage. Trip meter was reset. We reached Mumbai in less than 2 hours covered the distance of 120Kms towards Mumbai and got FE of 25.7 KMPL, which is the best so far I have got. Attaching a few snaps of the trip,
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2010, 01:14   #48
BHPian

Default 9K Completed

During the trip crossed 9K mark. The beauty behaved marvalously barring a few occasions. Also I learnt something new about handling the beauty.

Ground Scarping (there are tricks to avoid):
During the last 10 Kms to Surya Shibir the road was single lane ghat section with plenty of holes and unevenness. While going up the baby scrapped the road 2-3 times from bottom. Everytime the heart stopped for a while. I thought about it and during way back it didn't scrap even once. The problem was with the way I was driving. The road was like an arc (up in centre and both sides were below the centre level. Earlier I was driviing with both wheel on sides and that was the problem. While going back I ensured either left/right wheel was on centre of the road and other wheel on the edge. This helped in avoiding ground scrapping.

2nd gear sucks in ghat:
You need to be very careful while downshifting to 2nd gear in ghat section. At times I had to slowdown on incline due to the slow vehicles in front. Shifted from 3rd to 2nd and you know what the baby refused to move even with half clutch and accel. The truck behind me had got dangerously close. Had to rush into 1st to move the baby out of that position.

4th Gear Magic:

I think 4th gear covers a wide speed range 30 - 80 KMPH. Is best for cruising at constant speed. While going to Surya Shibir at times I could have got into 5th and gone to higher speeds but it would not have lasted long before I had to shift down to 4th or 3rd. Considering the conditions I decided against 5th and enjoyed almost non-stop cruise in 4th gear for close to 20-25 Kms and that way appreciated the utility of it a lot.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2011 at 18:38. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please
Old 14th July 2010, 12:33   #49
BHPian

Check Glow Plugs message has started showing again. Last week before going to Pune had dropped the vehicle for a day to get it sorted. I think they again just inspected the plugs and erased the message. Didn't help much. The error started showing same day. Blasted SA for the poor work. He said will will need to replace glow plugs and some relay in warranty. The parts have arrived. Need to get them fitted.

Monsoon started barely a month back and the wiper is leaving water arcs on windscreen. Will raise it with SA. Are wiper blades cover under warranty?
Old 25th August 2010, 15:23   #50
BHPian

Had given the car for warranty part replacement in the last week of July to fix 'check glow plugs' problem. I can confirm the check glow plugs problem was finally resolved after replacement of a part under warranty.

The driver side wiper blade was found rough on couple of places and that was the cause of water arcs. Driver side wiper blade was replaced (for Rs.400 outflow).

Had discovered and reported water leak into the boot to TASS during the same visit. They found the leakage from rear windsheild. Sealant was applied. For about 2-3 weeks during August it was fine, but in the recent heavy rains noticed water accumulated inside spare tyre chamber. Spoke with SA and he is asking to drop the vehicle for 3-4 days and this time he is commiting to close this permanently. Have reported the issue to TASS Service Manager two days back by e-mail, have asked SM to arrange the alternate vehicle while the issue is being fixed. Haven't got a response yet.

Can someone please share some of the names and e-mail addresses of Fiat top brasses for escalation?
Old 26th October 2010, 13:13   #51
BHPian

Hi there. Have the problems been resolved satisfactorily?
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 15:29   #52
BHPian

Palio_2005,

Got useful contact information from a fellow BHPian (Badaxe). Escalted the open issues with customer service and service contacts. The open issues reported were taken on priority and were fixed in 1st week of September.

Issue1 Regarding water leakage into boot: They refixed the rear windsheild using sealant. I can not really confirm if it has fully resolved the problem or not until 2011 monsoon since the monsoon had weakened by September 1st week.

Issue2 Rear door bidding coming out: During same visit instead of replacing the bidding Balaji folks tried to fix the exsiting one which they were doing since May. They applied same temporary fix but on the face told me its been replaced. The bidding came out again in couple of days. This time I visited the SC and gave some music to their ears. A new bidding was brought from stores and replaced in front of my eyes in 30 mins. Since then no issues with bidding.

Issue3 Paint Imperfections on rear boot and bumper: This was the only issue that was resolved to my delight. Don't know what they did but now the rear boot and bumper look brand new and gells perfectly fine with rest of the car. Also there were couple of scratches on Front bumper on both the sides (own liability) and they repainted and fixed them Free of Cost.

But that does not completly end the list of open issues. I discovered two new issues,

Boot Mat damaged due to water leakage: Have raised with Customer Service. Balaji Cars too pictures of the mat. Its planned to be replaced under warranty. More than a month back Balaji Cars confirmed that they have received approval for mat replacement and are waiting for the mat to come. Haven't heard from them since then.

Rear Windshield Sun Film Damaged: While installing the windshield to fix water leakage into boot Balaji Cars have damaged my aftermarket 3M sunfilm put on the rear windshield. Need to take this up with Customer Service.

Have completed 14,500 KMs and second service is due. Planning to report these again during 2nd service. As part of 2nd service preparation campaign , have started sending reminders to Fiat Customer Service about the two open issues above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hi there. Have the problems been resolved satisfactorily?

Last edited by Autocop : 26th October 2010 at 15:31. Reason: Text Change
Old 26th October 2010, 16:53   #53
BHPian

Hope all issues get resolved soon. I really liked your thread especially the seat covers and the matching painting which you have done. The Suryashibir looks interesting and will plan a weekend sojurn
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 03:18   #54

Hey there,
Glad I could be of help.
Regarding the other 2 issues, don't let it rest. The key is in an aggressive follow up and follow through. Something that I am not able to do for 2 small rattling issues I have been facing, since I have been hellaciously tied up at work.

Cheers !
BadAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 12:57   #55
BHPian

Default 2nd Free Service Done

Date: 12-Nov-2010
Station: Balaji Cars, Thane
Total Cost: 5917

Work Done:

1. Engine Oil (3.7 Ltrs) & Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
A/C Filter

All above replaced

2. Tire Rotation and Wheel Balancing
3. Wheel Alignment

Observations:

1. A/C filter change has worked wonders. Earlier I had to go full blast to get cool effect, now same effect if not better was possible with 1/4 fan speed. Now I can realistically use ACC with Full Auto.

2. After Oil change Oil color is appearing light black. SA mentioned that engine was idled for few minutes and this is common. He said after starting the engine the left over oil mixes with the new one and that's the reason I see a light black color. Checked a few vehicles due for Oil change and color/quality difference was there. It's still in back of mind, is this common? can I buy SA's justification? should I raise this with Fiat Customer Service. Fellow BHPins appreciate if you can pls share some more light on this.

Overall gave them 8/10.
Old 16th November 2010, 15:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Date: 12-Nov-2010
Station: Balaji Cars, Thane
Total Cost: 5917

Work Done:

1. Engine Oil (3.7 Ltrs) & Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
A/C Filter

All above replaced

2. Tire Rotation and Wheel Balancing
3. Wheel Alignment

Observations:

1. A/C filter change has worked wonders. Earlier I had to go full blast to get cool effect, now same effect if not better was possible with 1/4 fan speed. Now I can realistically use ACC with Full Auto.

2. After Oil change Oil color is appearing light black. SA mentioned that engine was idled for few minutes and this is common. He said after starting the engine the left over oil mixes with the new one and that's the reason I see a light black color. Checked a few vehicles due for Oil change and color/quality difference was there. It's still in back of mind, is this common? can I buy SA's justification? should I raise this with Fiat Customer Service. Fellow BHPins appreciate if you can pls share some more light on this.

Overall gave them 8/10.
Can you please post the breakup of bill. It seems to be a bit high.

Regarding engine oil that is normal
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 16:02   #57
BHPian

Question,
During return journey measured the FE using tankful method. After coming to Thane I did the tankful and the FE I got with tankful calculation is 19.9 while the MID was showing 21.9. There is a difference of 2KMPL in the two readings.

Hi Even i am facing same problem in my punto MID but the differnce is 3 km per lts.
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 11:51   #58
BHPian

Did comparative analysis of 2nd Service Invoice of a few MJD Linea/Punto on forum with mine.

Avg. Invoice Amount for members: Rs. 4300
Mine was: Rs. 5900

Difference of Rs.1600.

Findings from the comparison below,

1. Diesel Filter

Earlier Price: Rs. 830
New Price: Rs. 1800

Difference of Rs. 970

I went to the stores and asked him why such high price and he admitted the earlier price but mentioned that the price has increased recently. He logged into Tata CRM Software and assured me that you go to any Tata Service Center in India it will be same price.

I would be good to know from Fellow Linea/Punto MJD members about their recent/future experience on this.

2. Wheel Alignment and Balancing

Some of the Members: Free of Charge
In My Case: Rs. 600 (Rs. 200 for Balancing + Rs. 400 for Alignment)

I met Balaji Service Manager about this and he said that's policy of Balaji Cars and it has been agreed with Fiat as well and they are aware about this .

Got a call from Fiat Call Center about the 2nd service and I have let them know my displeasure about Wheel Alignment and Balancing charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Can you please post the breakup of bill. It seems to be a bit high.

Regarding engine oil that is normal
Old 18th November 2010, 18:32   #59
BHPian

Alignement should be free. Double check this.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 19:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Alignement should be free. Double check this.
Soccerfan, are you sure about this fact?

We've a Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD at home and we have been charged for the alignment during the second free service.

Amith
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote