Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th November 2010, 23:50   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
@suhaas
thanks for your wishes and the same goes right back at you.
it sure is one of the best hatchbacks in the country today.

i really love the alloys on your jazz and perfectly suits the color of your car and the fact that your car is loaded to the gills with all the desirable accessories makes its even more special.
wish you loads of happy miles with your jazz..
Thank you Superboy!

She is a stunner, and so is every Jazz on the road. they may not be as common as the Puntos and the i20s, but that just tilts in its favour. It makes that that much more special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Is jazz a innova with out the 3rd row???

With this much load, even sx4(i doubt if it can take this much) will scrap. Do yo u have pic of side profile, with the car loaded like that? All hatches and even some sedan squats when the trunk and rear seats are filled. I just want to see how jazz is taking it.
Well, surprise, surprise! It doesn't scrape if you judge the speed-breaker correctly and if you can negotiate it well enough. It all depends on how you go over it. Yes, it does squat, but not as much as the City and the Civic.

And yes! The Jazz is akin to the Innova, just with a missing 3rd row! What a versatile car it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The statement that made my day was when you mentioned that you had no underbelly scraping even once in your 8000Km! That is amazing considering its a Honda! Looks like the suspension are not as soft as the city.
Quote:
@Suhaas can you update your experience on the clearance about the same in Bangalore?
It is surprising! We initially scrapped a few speed-breakers, but then we quickly taught ourselves how to tackle them. Most speed-breakers are a breeze now! And yes, it is not as soft as the City's and definitely not as soft as the Civic's!

The Jazz has decent GC and one has to learn how to use it to your advantage. And once you know the tricks, it's not easy peasy!

Quote:
Another question: So on Highways to what RPMs you take it to?
Your driving seems very good at maintaining less than 100 and getting a handsome FE; something which I also follow.
Ampere,

I know this question wasn't for me, but my father achieved the astonishing figure of 19.5 by doing a constant 80-90 in the 5th cog! God bless the State Govt. for giving us the Bangalore-Mysore highway!

The RPM is generally a little below 2000.

Quote:
Slowly I can see myself tilting towards the Jazz. A decision which I will need to make some time very soon.
Excellent choice, Sire! (I wished to use more smileys at this point!)

You will not regret it!

Looking forward to your decision and then, the initial-ownership-review.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 00:30   #32
BHPian

@suhaas
thanks for answering the queries,
always good to have multiple opinions.

and your dad must be a pretty sedate driver just like me to get such a good FE
well i normally maintain a highway speed of around 90 to 95km/hr and thats when the car drinks responsibly.

@gkrishn
as suhaas pointed out, the jazz really is a pretty versatile car.
it provides me the luggage space of a big boot sedan with a hatch's convenience.
i don't think any other hatchback can do it better.
and it did not scrape anywhere under full load except at one point where i was just a little fast.
yes it does squat down under full load but this is where the stiff suspension pays dividends, it does not bottom out easily.
as for the pic, the 2nd last pic is taken with the car loaded to the gills minus the passengers. i guess it should provide you a fair idea of how it copes up with the load.

@ampere
thanks a lot for the wishes,
the suspension is definitely stiff and it does affect ride quality to some extent but then again it is advantageous under full load.
more than happy to make that compromise.
regards what rpm i maintain, i have not really paid much attention to it to give you a concrete reply but i guess it should be around 3.5k ,
will keep that in mind the next time and get back to you on this.

hope you too get jazzed, trust me it is worth the premium it commands.

@breezydrive
the suitcases were tucked in the boot with the rear seats in place.
superboy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 15:49   #33
Team-BHP Support

Guys thanks. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I personally do no want to hear the engine grunt on the highways. I drive just like Suhaas's dad and Superboy. (Just like to cruise and not add to 3 digit speeds).

My confusion was mainly because of that particular aspect only. What I thought was how can a 1.2 engine give a speed of 90-100 around 2000RPM, when I find it difficult to get the same with my 1.6 Fusion.

Hence I was thinking of a 1.8L vehicles but the negating point was FE.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 16:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

@superboy -
Being an owner of Jazz, I am also surprised looking at your pics and the amount of luggage it can swallow. I haven't tried to load it to the max but good to know the versatility of this wonderful car. I always knew that the Jazz has amazing luggage carrying ability but it is always good to see a demo . I guess not many sedans can carry this sort of luggage.
Your reports and experiences are nice and crisp ..keep them coming.
I am going for 2nd service tomorrow - will post updates in my thread after that.

@ampere -
The rpm at which a car does a certain speed will depend on the gearing as well. Jazz has a tall gearing which gives it a very relaxed cursing speed and FE.

It does 100 kmph in 5th gear @3000 rpm approx and believe me, the engine is super relaxed at this point and you won't hear a thing. The relaxed crusing speed is 100-120 kmph in Jazz (though I can't keep it below 120 ) and expect an FE of around 18 kmpl when cruising @100 kmph in 5th gear.

The engine starts getting a bit throaty ( I actually like it ) only above 4000-4500 rpm but below that, it is as refined as it can be!

Last edited by adimicra : 13th November 2010 at 16:26.
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 16:26   #35
akp
BHPian

Quote:
My confusion was mainly because of that particular aspect only. What I thought was how can a 1.2 engine give a speed of 90-100 around 2000RPM, when I find it difficult to get the same with my 1.6 Fusion.
Here is a rough table of rpm-speed figures in different gears that I had prepared for my Jazz based on my observations:

1st gear:
2000rpm --> 17 kmph
2500rpm --> 20 kmph

2nd gear:
2000rpm --> 30 kmph
3000rpm --> 40 kmph

3rd gear:
2000rpm --> 40 kmph
2500rpm --> 50 kmph
3000rpm --> 60 kmph

4th gear:
1800rpm --> 50 kmph
2200rpm --> 60 kmph
2600rpm --> 70 kmph
3000rpm --> 80 kmph

5th gear:

1900rpm --> 60 kmph
2200rpm --> 70 kmph
2500rpm --> 80 kmph
4500rpm -->140 kmph

As long as you do not strain the engine or do not go above 3500rpm or so, you can extract very good FE. The maximum I have got so far has been 21.08 on a winter morning between Delhi and Jaipur. Once you go above 3500/4000rpm, the FE starts falling.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 17:06   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
@ampere -
The rpm at which a car does a certain speed will depend on the gearing as well. Jazz has a tall gearing which gives it a very relaxed cursing speed and FE.

It does 100 kmph in 5th gear @3000 rpm approx and believe me, the engine is super relaxed at this point and you won't hear a thing. The relaxed crusing speed is 100-120 kmph in Jazz (though I can't keep it below 120 ) and expect an FE of around 18 kmpl when cruising @100 kmph in 5th gear.

The engine starts getting a bit throaty ( I actually like it ) only above 4000-4500 rpm but below that, it is as refined as it can be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
5th gear:

1900rpm --> 60 kmph
2200rpm --> 70 kmph
2500rpm --> 80 kmph
4500rpm -->140 kmph
Thanks AKP and @Ad. This is exactly what I was thinking. In Fusion I can hear the engine Grunt at 3000 RPM when the speed goes above 120/140.
But I rarely do that. At 2000-2500 RPM I can easily achieve 80-100 without breaking sweat. (The 100 BHP Duratech doing service in Fiesta 1.6 and Fusion 1.6 is just great). I was not sure about the same with the 1.2 Jazz.

Since as @Ad mentioned, one does not hear any noise in Jazz, may be the Shielding is very good! Also as you guys mention, stressing the engine up to 3000 RPM still returns handsome FE. In Fusion anything about 2500, brings FE down.

A nirvana would be the 1.5 City engine coming down to Jazz.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:45   #37
Team-BHP Support

The other thing I noted is that it does not provide Arm rest for any trim.
Do you feel it to be extremely lacking?
Old 15th November 2010, 00:05   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The RPM is generally a little below 2000.
Sorry guys, I meant to say 3000. It was a typo!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 02:17   #39
BHPian

hi guys,
my jazz has crossed the 10k mark and it sure is getting better with each passing day just like wine, gets better with age.
the engine feels much more free, picks up from low speeds without any shudder, feels more sprightly than before and is surely mending its drinking habits.

just came back from a trip that involved traveling from ludhiana to delhi which offers ample highway space to cruze without much cog swapping which translates into brilliant fuel economy.

then getting stuck in delhi traffic for about 1.5hours, getting lost in delhi as always. traffic in delhi has improved vastly in recent few months, people actually follow speed limits now. that has made it a lot less stressful though you still chance upon an occasional formula racer.

finally managed to find my way to faridabad and then onto gurgaon.
gotta say the road from faridabad to gurgaon is a treat for people who love to drive as it winds through the pseudo hilly region.
as of now there is a lot of construction activity going on but once it gets completed i am sure its gonna be a hoot to drive on.

left for home the next day and got the car filled to the brim from outskirts of delhi, had done the same at ambala a day earlier.
so calculated the average to be 17.5 with 100% ac which i feel is commendable considering the toll that delhi traffic has on fuel economy.

now coming to the best part, i got a superb highway mileage of 21.7 km/l with 100%ac
the MID started with displaying 22km/l and dropped down to 20.4km/l and also just to cross check the average i tanked up again at ambala and was amazed to find that my car had consumed just 8.12l for travelling a distance of 177km which works out to an average of 21.79km/l .
which for me is brilliant value for my money
all of this 177km was pure relaxed highway driving.

attaching a few random pics from the trip

setting sun
Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-14564.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-048.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-053.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-076.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-086.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-091.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-092.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-093.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-079.jpg

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-088.jpg
some interesting graffiti captured while stuck in traffic

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-picture-090.jpg
camper-van from around the globe

Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)-1picture-043.jpg
an armored tata safari

@adimicra
thanks for the appreciation,
looking forward to your updates after the service.

@ampere
you surely do miss an armrest on long drives, but you can always get an aftermarket armrest fixed. though i did more of a DIY to address this problem with an old jaipuri quilt and a few old cushions
works like a charm
Old 16th November 2010, 07:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
so calculated the average to be 17.5 with 100% ac which i feel is commendable considering the toll that delhi traffic has on fuel economy.

now coming to the best part, i got a superb highway mileage of 21.7 km/l with 100%ac the MID started with displaying 22km/l and dropped down to 20.4km/l and also just to cross check the average i tanked up again at ambala and was amazed to find that my car had consumed just 8.12l for travelling a distance of 177km which works out to an average of 21.79km/l. which for me is brilliant value for my money
all of this 177km was pure relaxed highway driving.
Can you make a mention of the speeds which you did during this trip ? Asking this in order to find out which speeds on Jazz give out the best mileage.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 22:16   #41
BHPian

@donarun
these figures were achieved driving at a constant speed range of 85 to 95km/hr without much of downshifting or undue acceleration.
Old 18th December 2010, 19:05   #42
BHPian

Default Re: Instead of getting it all, I got Jazzed (Honda Jazz)

hi guys,
need some input regarding a peculiar problem i am facing with my jazz.

recently i have noticed that it is difficult to slot the car into second gear,
this happens only from an extremely cold start,
when i use the car for about say 10min or so and when the car is warmed up to normal operating temperature the problem goes away.
i have this problem only with the second gear.
the problem does not come up if i park the car for some time and then use it again.

thanks
Old 19th December 2010, 00:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi guys,
need some input regarding a peculiar problem i am facing with my jazz.

recently i have noticed that it is difficult to slot the car into second gear,
this happens only from an extremely cold start,
when i use the car for about say 10min or so and when the car is warmed up to normal operating temperature the problem goes away.
i have this problem only with the second gear.
the problem does not come up if i park the car for some time and then use it again.

thanks
As it turns out, this problem, if we may call it, has happened to me a few times. Very un-occasional though. If I think back, it might just have happened while the car was cold.

I could not pin point this to a problem as I figured it could be because I was not pressing the clutch all the way down. My solution was simple, put the car back in neutral, press the clutch all the way down and then again put it back in the 2nd gear and thats it. It worked.

Try it out and see if it works.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 19:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Superboy, are your seats OE Honda or outside stuff? Nice fit.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 19:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
As it turns out, this problem, if we may call it, has happened to me a few times. Very un-occasional though. If I think back, it might just have happened while the car was cold.

I could not pin point this to a problem as I figured it could be because I was not pressing the clutch all the way down. My solution was simple, put the car back in neutral, press the clutch all the way down and then again put it back in the 2nd gear and thats it. It worked.

Try it out and see if it works.
Exactly my observations as well!
I have observed this a few times but as you said, when I pressed the clutch fully and tried it worked. I have sometimes the habit of not pressing the clutch fully. So, I thought it might be my fault and never bothered. Ans also it has occurred only very few times and was resolved easily as well with fully pressing the clutch and retrying. I can't remember whether it had anything to do with a cold start or not. So, never thought it important enough to report in this forum.
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote