Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 8th February 2010, 19:24   #31
BANNED

Front view is muscular.

Name:  PK005.jpg
Views: 3014
Size:  24.1 KB

Rear view is like shying away.

Name:  PK004.jpg
Views: 2960
Size:  14.6 KB
Old 8th February 2010, 19:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
funny gear placement. Something that may happen initially- people waiting at a red light engaging "R" instead of "1" after the light turns green.
This is same as Fabia. But to engage reverse gear you need to press down and engage!
Anyways people will get used to it after couple of rides!

@arun1100,

my exact thoughts. Without those agressive headlights and bumper, this car looks tame and timid! Those polygon shaped headlights look nice!

Last edited by recshenoy : 8th February 2010 at 19:29.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

After looking at something like the Beat, the interiors of the Polo look very dull to me. At 4.3L for the base version, the car is under equipped too. I don't think I'd pay that much just for a VW badge. The Beat/i10/Ritz which are 10 times more equipped than the base Polo, will be better VFM.
Otherwise the car looks good and being VW, i'm sure quality will be top notch. Although it's hard to expect an engine as peppy as that of the Ritz, but the reality would only come into picture after driving it personally.
Thanks anyways, thanks sushantr for the scoop on Polo.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
For engaging reverse you need to push down Gear Knob and then slot like first gear. There are no chances that you will engage reverse by accident.
you mean press knob downwards? sounds awkward. it would have been easier to use the "lift ring" and engage rear. anyways they must have done so with some thought.

Last edited by maven : 8th February 2010 at 19:31.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
you mean press knob downwards? sounds awkward. it would have been easier to use the "lift ring" and engage rear. anyways they must have done so with some thought.
Its the German design quirkiness. Opel, Fiat has the ring mechanism which was lifted to engage reverse. Tatamobile had the reverse, lift the gear lever / knob to engage reverse.

Initially you feel it strange, but after a few days you get used to it. I've lived with it for the last 5 years

Add to this quirkiness the reverse placement of wiper and headlamp control stalks.

Nikhil
Old 8th February 2010, 19:40   #36
BANNED

With its just Okay average looks and VW's sibling SKODA dug distrust on A.S.S and fleecing of customers it will be interesting to see How VW plays its Polo and let POLO not going Fabia way to emerge successful in Indian Market.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

If at all this is launched @ 4.3Lakhs INR (Base) any idea where all did they cut down on price?

@ Sushant, after having a good feel of the car do you think this can be a sub 4.5Lakh INR (base) car?
Old 8th February 2010, 19:55   #38
BHPian

There is one more rumor that VW will start using Suzuki's Service Network very soon. Same like Fiat is with Tata. I think after that VW Service will not be a problem.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:56   #39
BHPian

Awesome headlamps! However, it must be costing a bomb to replace!
I think I should start an after market fitment for protecting those lamps :-)
Old 8th February 2010, 19:59   #40
BHPian

I test drove Beat also. I think Interiors in Base version of Polo are far far better than Beat top end. I don't how people are getting impressed by Beat. This is personal opinion. For me Beat is very uncomfortable for sitting. No Thigh support at all on all seats. I am giving importance to Thigh support because it is must required for long journeys.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:00   #41
BHPian

Did you get to know any other details ?

Like when will the 1.6l engine be launched
Old 8th February 2010, 20:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

The car looks hunky in silver - I like...no wait, I love it !!! But it is coming with Apollo tyres as OE ?

The reverse gear is warranting a huge discussion here - it's nothing different than the Skoda's and other German cars. And no you cannot just slot reverse while trying to slot the 1st gear.

The ride and handling ought to be up there with the best.

The base version looks very under equipped and spartan though. Lets see how they price the higher versions and the diesels as well.

Any clue if any of the versions are coming with full black or black/grey combo on the insides - Ohh how I hate beige !!

I am waiting ..........with the cheque in hand. - you hear that VW ?
Old 8th February 2010, 20:29   #43
BHPian

Seems a promising car. Regarding the reverse placement, I don't think that it's much of an issue, having driven a Santro and an Octavia back to back. You'll just get used to it. And it does not go to reverse accidentally, as many think. Many European manufacturers have this arrangement (VW, Skoda, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen etc)
I've driven the Euro spec Polo and the seats just hug you. The quality of materials are top notch. Hope they don't do too much cost cutting in these areas in India.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:38   #44
BHPian

Is it just me or does the back of the Polo awfully resemble Punto's!
Old 8th February 2010, 20:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
funny gear placement. Something that may happen initially- people waiting at a red light engaging "R" instead of "1" after the light turns green.
This type of Gear Placements are for the Traveller Van ( by FORCE). actually this type of gear placement makes the engine more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
i scrolled through the images at post number 18 many times. Once this car looks good again i scroll and it looks boring. any one having similar thought!

Is VW badge playing a trick here?
yeah i checked myself placing a Suzuki,Hyundai badge(with 3 cylinder engine in mind) i personally feel something is lacking for the car, the moment i put the VW badge and think i feel its satisfying!!!!!!! weird!!!. I jsut don't know how to say. Something is needed
Closed Thread