Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th September 2005, 18:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Hyundai Getz - Impressions from the TD

As you fellas know , we have just booked a Getz. and i had a small test drive and here are my impressions -

Exteriors - Nice handsome looking car. not flashy nor dull somewhere inbetween and i love it. i love the chunky and stubby look at the rear too. Fit n finish are of top drawer , panel gaps at managable levels , paint job is very good.

Interiors - This is where i was most impressed. The soft rubberised feel of the dash is really very nice. AC vents that close like blinds , the chrome ringed dials give it a hint of sporty feel, carbon graphite in the centre console ( its carbon graphite , right ? ) . Space is good , lots of leg room for the front seats and the rears too but push the front seats absolute back and things get very uncomfortable for the rear passengers. 3 normal sized adults fit in quite comfortably in the back i say. but here i should say - i cudnt find the perfect driving position even though i tried for 5-10 mins. the rear seat is ok , its not an incline and for that we have to sit with knees facing down ( if u get what im saying) and thats very uncomfortable.rear view mirrors on the doors are damn good - no blind spots ( a hyundai trait i think). and yeah the rubberised feel is carried over to door trims but material is different than that of the dash. it feels much harder. lots of cubby holes to hold your stuff , a hook behind the passenger front seat to hold your stuff and wonder of wonders - glass / bottle holders that are ver deep so that your bottle/glasses are actually held in place - nice nice. Seat fabrice was pleasing too.

Engine / Handling - the 1.3 ltr 83 bhp engine is surprisingly very very SLUGGISH, not at all "SWIFT". i had to really work to make it go , still it took its own time to reach the ton. in gear too car dint feel sprightly at all..maybe its all done keeping the FE in mind. Maybe the car i drove had only 270 kms on it had to do somthing with the sluggushness ? definitely not a car i would want to drive in traffic. Ride quality at par , while it handles well at high speed , corners well. brakes have sufficient bite to haul it down from serious speeds. Dint get to try the ABS version.

Except the Sluggish nature of the engine , I dont see it loosing out to the Swift. Ah yes the price , we got the GLS (non ABS) for 4,96,00 on road. if we should have opted for the ABS it would have been abt 5,25,00

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2005, 20:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good review...yeah but even the swift isnt exactly 'swift' . But comparable. Overall as a package...i'd pick the getz with my eyes closed...its just so much more practical. Hop in the backseat of a swift with a tall driver and do the same with getz, you'l know the difference then and there. Getz all the way for me.

Drifter
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2005, 20:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice review there NC

Quote:
maybe its all done keeping the FE in mind
But still the Getz gives lesser FE then the swift! Why so?
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 02:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Nice review there NC

But still the Getz gives lesser FE then the swift! Why so?
Because you spend 90% of your time at full throttle just to feel alive!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 15:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good write up NC.
My friends also just got a GETZ GLS recently and it is awesome though they got ripped off with the Audio.
Enjoy the car bro. and tank up the minute you drive out of the showroom. My friends car got stuck at our shared office in Mahalaxmi because it ran out of fuel and i believe they took delivery from Hyundai Motor Plaza, Haji Ali
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005, 02:41   #6
BHPian

Normally Crazy, good on ya! nice decission to go ahead n buy the Getz! owning it from past 8 months, its awesome! best for city drives!

one piece of advise : Invest Rs.3,800/- on a K&N Replacement AIR FILTER!!!! u will love the pickup after u install this thing! doest hamper the warranty either!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 17:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

I thought I'd add my thoughts about my Getz (GLS with ABS), which I have now driven a little over 8000 kms in the past 14 months.

For starters, I've had 185/60 - 14 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 tyres on the car since the day I bought it. The ride is decent for a hatch, even though my tyres are relatively low profile and a bit noisy at speed. The interior quality has stood-up well, but then my car is very sparingly used. One thing that is atrocious is the upholstery. There are long bits of thread coming off the seats, which is bad. Fuel efficiency is not bad, considering that I drive the car VERY HARD most of the time. I get around 10km/l in town with the A/c. I actually get worse mileage on the highway than in town, but that is because on the highway I am flat-out all the way. Performance is fine in town, though on the highway the car is desperately short of power AND torque. I find myself taking drastic measures on the highway to not lose my momentum, which is a sure sign that the car is a real pain when it loses its revs at speed. I've had only one problem with my car in a little over one year; the interior roof light stopped working unless the door was open. Other than that the car has been trouble-free. The brakes are a serious issue on this car. Hyundai has over-servoed them (like most Indian manufacturers tend to do) and as a result the brakes are very tough to modulate. The slightest touch on the brake pedal causes very instant and sudden deceleration. Whereas some people may like this, I prefer a more progressive feel to the brake pedal.

So, all-in-all, I'd say I've been happy with my Getz (even though someone has tried to break-into it three times in 14 months!). I am now considering stuffing the Accent's 1.6 unit into the car, so that I have a bit more grunt at my disposal. This will make my driving with the car a lot less "frantic" and should ensure that the odd 1.6 GTX Palio gets seen to as well!
Old 7th November 2005, 17:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine recently booked a Getz GVS in Bangalore.
The site has the GVS in the price list (in between the GLS and the GLX), but not in the features section ?

What's extra in the GVS compared to the GLS ?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 18:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

As I understand it, the GVS is between the GLE and and GLS, but I'm afraid I have no clue what the trim differences are.
Old 7th November 2005, 18:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

GLS had got larger tyres ( 175/70 against 155/80 in GVS), Rear spoiler, Rear Defogger, Body colored door handles, side mirrors & rear garnish in addition to GVS.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 01:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good driving impressions ,NC. Can't wait for ur complete review.

Ps: Congratulations for ur upcoming new car
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 20:24   #12
BANNED

Smile

Hey Guys,

Based on your reports and suggestions from several othet T-Bhpian's we have decided to buy 3 Getz's cars in our house and replace all the older santro's etc.

We have booked the GVS variants and expect to get delivery around the 6th or 7th December.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 22:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

wow ! 3 Getz in one family! That should be a first of its kind for a tbhpian. Please do update this thread as you haev access to three cars and can hence report back of FE and other worthy datas.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2005, 00:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

Good choice dude. After driving the getz extensively(Which included sub zero temparatures and snow of Himalays) my conclusion is that this is one dependable machine. The power does seem to be a bit on the low side, but then its purely academic. For a family car this has the perfect mix of all ingredients. Inspite of the skinny 155 width tyres it held its own in hills, and even high speed stability is not a problem. The 165on speedo which you see in my avatar is a getz one
congrats on your choice and happy revving
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2005, 09:51   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
wow ! 3 Getz in one family! That should be a first of its kind for a tbhpian. Please do update this thread as you haev access to three cars and can hence report back of FE and other worthy datas.
Hey,

Will surely do that. Its basically 2 in the immediate house and one for my married sister.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote