Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd March 2010, 19:35   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post

What I have read is when we use the 'S' or the 'S with shifters' on highway and dont change the gear for longer time then the car automatically switches to pure automatic mode, I am not sure, does it shifts to 'D' mode? Have you noticed that?

I will check that during the very first long highway drive I will do.
In "S mode without paddle shifts", automatic upshift will happen. Ditto for downshift. In that respect, it is similar to D mode. In this mode, you are not using the paddle shifts to up/down shift gears. You also will not see the M1/2/3/4/5 etc gear info just below the speedometer.

In "S mode with paddle shifts", where you are manually controlling the upshift, the auto unit will not upshift by itself. However, it may do downshifts if the situation demands. I have seen this in highways.

BTW, your FE figures are good and will increase once you get past 1000-1500 KM mark.

-Pratim

Last edited by pratim : 2nd March 2010 at 19:37.
pratim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:16   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
BTW, your FE figures are good and will increase once you get past 1000-1500 KM mark.
-Pratim
Thanks Pratim, That's really encouraging, Knowing the driving condition of my city, I guess on highway it will surely give me AVG of around 13-14.

Figures from my old car (Zen)
Summer time in-city : 12.5-13 kmpl
Winter time in-city : 14-15 kmpl
Delhi NCR (inter city with some highway, free roads) : 17 kmpl
Pure Highway: 18-19 kmpl

Max. AVG in 5 years of ownership : 21 kmpl on highway
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 12:23   #78
BHPian

Default Some Issue

I have noticed that on a plain surface my car is moving towards left slightly.

I am not sure is it because of the tyre upgrades or not as I had upgraded to them immediately post delivery.

What should I do, should I get it checked by Honda Service Center? or should I get wheel balanced at the tyre shop.

Experts please help me on this.
Old 5th March 2010, 14:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure is it because of the tyre upgrades or not as I had upgraded to them immediately post delivery.

What should I do, should I get it checked by Honda Service Center? or should I get wheel balanced at the tyre shop.

Experts please help me on this.
I am no expert but I would prefer you going to Honda A.S.S. They typically charge Rs 500.00 for wheel balancing and Rs 500.00 for wheel alignment(noticed this on someone's 15k km paid service invoice).
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 10:23   #80
BHPian

Default Some Night Shots

Name:  07032010141.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  76.9 KB
Side Step Illuminated Garnish taken with Flash and view in day time.

Name:  07032010142.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  34.4 KB Name:  07032010143.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  36.3 KB
Here it is in its fully glory, without flash during night time, This is how it greets visitors.

Name:  07032010139.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  72.6 KB
Upgraded Headlight with High Beam [Phillips Rally 90/100 with Hella Relay Kit]
Old 8th March 2010, 11:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Any updates on this?

I am hoping the issue stands resolved now, would like to hear what was done.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 11:36   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Any updates on this?

I am hoping the issue stands resolved now, would like to hear what was done.
Not yet, i am planning to get it checked during first service, due on this Friday. Till then I am observing at what particular speed, surface it happens.

Sometime it feels nothing wrong and sometime it goes towards left, will have a through check with service mechanics in workshop during first service.
Old 10th March 2010, 07:32   #83
BHPian

Default Valentine gets her due shades

Finally it got the shades:

Sun Film Combo: 3M CR70(Front) + CR50 (Sides & Rear)

Total Cost: 16,500 (5,500 is fixed for Front)

Some random clicks during installation
Attached Images

Old 10th March 2010, 09:07   #84
BHPian

TheBeastFieast
How much did it cost for side-step garnish? Did you buy this from Honda? Can you give some more info on this please?
jayanth_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 09:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
TheBeastFieast
How much did it cost for side-step garnish? Did you buy this from Honda? Can you give some more info on this please?
Yes, I got it from Honda and it costed me 9.5K, but now a days I have seen one thread by Monty and he mentioned that he is getting it in around 2500-2800 from outside.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:31   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I got it from Honda and it costed me 9.5K, but now a days I have seen one thread by Monty and he mentioned that he is getting it in around 2500-2800 from outside.
Okay, I enquired with the dealer and he tells me that there is a non Honda side-step garnish which is imported costs about 6k and it has illumination for all 4 sides.
jayanth_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 16:21   #87
BHPian

Default First Service Update

As usual just washing and cleaning of the car.

No cost involved.

Problem Reported: I had reported that car is moving towards left on plain surface, they checked and told it was some pulling issue and it has been fixed.

Tested and now car runs straight on plain surface.

Update: Got my RC in flat 1 month, The number was allocated already so I had ordered Utsav Smart Number plates, got them fixed today as well.
Old 25th March 2010, 07:46   #88
BHPian

Default First Highway Experience

Immediately after buying it, I was planning to take it on highway, but I was just waiting for the first service to complete.

First service was done on 13th March and within one week I made a plan to visit my in-laws in Gwalior which is 300KM from my place.

Route: Its all National Highway No. 2 and No.3

Traffic: If you travel on this route during early mornings then you will not get any traffic, but I started mid-day thinking it should be traffic free, which it was till 4-5PM but after that it was very crowded.

Road Upgrade / Repairing / Maintenance: Post Agra which is NH3 a lot of road upgrade (flyovers), repairing work is going on and it was kind of a mood off, I promised to my self not to come on this route for next 6-8 months at least.

Driving Experience: Just out of world for me, as I have always traveled this route on my Zen, but this time it was so different, I was cruising very smoothly, the A/T was so great. Enjoyed listening to my favourite songs, as they are compiled in different playlists.

For the going I was not in hurry and was just enjoying. I was driving it the way I used to drive my Zen and within no time I was at 120KMPH while in my Zen I used to be at 80-85 KMPH with same style. During this I never used the 'S' mode at all, and paddle shifters in 'D' mode were used very less as well. I was trying to understand it and its potentials. The RPM was around 2500-2800 most of the time. I never crossed the 120KMPH and for once RPM went up to 5000RPM and the sound of engine was kind of addictive.

Return time Experience: I had already planned to be little spirited for my return and use 'S' mode most of the time. This time I also started early in the morning to avoid traffic.

Switched to 'S' mode the moment I felt road is good and free, to my surprise I was kind of waiting for gear shift to happen, but in 3rd gear it was just pulling like anything, it was at 3500+ RPM and around 100KMPH and I couldn't feel it switched to 4th gear, finally I used paddle shift to switch to 4th gear and then to 5th gear.

I had to switch back to 'D' mode very early, as when you are in 'S' mode it gives you a kick and you start feeling like those F1 drivers and speed is too much for our Indian roads. 'S' mode needs more broad and free highways, I will plan to take it on other highways and will try the 'S' mode again.

During this time I was bit aggressive and without any effort got it to 150KMPH and this was the time my wife noticed at what speed we are, within no time I was forced to slow it down and at 110-115 I said, sorry it can't go lower than this.

Pickup and Overtaking: Must say it has got great pickup if you know how A/T and high revv works. Overtaking is just excellent, just put some pressure on accelerator and there it goes, you literally feel that car has lowered itself to build some pressure and prepares itself to shoot, which is auto downshifting to fulfill the sudden requirement of power. After few overtaking experience I started downshifting for sudden rush of power and it was very fast in providing that.

This was addicting and I was taking it to 4500RPM more than once.

First Red-Lining: Ever since reading about VTEC engines and their red-line experience, I wanted to feel the same badly, The 'S' mode and 'D' mode in 3rd gear were not giving that on this route, as in 3rd gear it self it was getting speed of 110KMPH and the RPM was only about 4500-4800.

At one point of time I was already in 3rd gear and needed more immediate power, I tried downshifting to 2nd gear and voila what an experience, Baby got its first red-line it shifted to 3rd gear after hitting 6600RPM and speed was great.

Tried it another time and that time also same happened, I couldn't noticed very clearly but I think in 2nd gear it attained speed of 85-90KMPH at 6600RPM.

That was enough after that I returned to my normal driving style and happily cruised it at 110-120KMPH with 2800-3000RPM.

FE: Wasn't very keen on FE as I was trying to understand it more, but to my surprise it gave average of 12KM(Approx) for going and I am yet to calculate for return time.

Looking forward to another highway experience.
Old 26th March 2010, 06:48   #89
Senior - BHPian

good writeup. never knew that AT could be so convenient for racing style driving.

How was the Ground clearance on the highway, since I guess it was underconstruction, it would have been very uneven
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 07:04   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
good writeup. never knew that AT could be so convenient for racing style driving.

How was the Ground clearance on the highway, since I guess it was underconstruction, it would have been very uneven
Yup, AT is too good for some spirited driving if one knows when to switch gear or what needs to be done to get the required power / acceleration. Ground clearance was more than sufficient for me, as I was driving zen for 4.5 years before this baby and used to be very slow on any uneven road, that is helping me to great extent. Till now it has hit only at one speed-breaker that also in the parking lot of a mall, don't know for space saving or for what they create those very small and high breakers.