Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th May 2010, 16:41   #151
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
On various websites people say Scorpio is a MUV and the only Indian SUV is Safari. Please quote.

I believe the new Safari 2.2 DiCOR is a refined beast. Please quote.
There is always a never-ending war b/w Scorpio and Safari I definitely dont want to get a beating by saying Scorpio is an MUV !

Technically, 2.2 DICOR is a well refined one and I am sure everyone agrees to it including the Scorpio buyers & lovers. But, as far as I heard and know, there are always niggles present in both the biggies and so far, we dont see a drastic change or improvement in that.

My thought b/w Scorpio & Safari is that Either can decide based on 2 things - Either one should love the look of Safari/Scorpio OR for whatever reason, one should love one of the brand.

I dont agree to the heavy maintenance cost on Safari, but not in Scorpio, etc ... as we have in TBHP numerous Safari owners who dont spend huge on maintenance as compared to Scorpio counterparts.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:28   #152
BHPian

Default Safari vs Fortuner

Today, I had a chance to park my Safari next to Fortuner in my office and take a snap and YES, the pic is not of great quality due to low lighting and its my cell phone cam.

I kinda started liking Safari's LOOK more than Fortuner by looking them next to each others.

Any comments from anyone ?

Prem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-safari-vs-fortuner.jpg  

Old 6th May 2010, 17:41   #153
Senior - BHPian

I got a similar chance at Gopalan Arch mall.

Noticed that the Safari is taller than the Fortuner. But the Fortuner has a better brutish looks and a higher stance. Safari looks more like a kitten in front of it!

Well, for a totally biased opinion, Fortuner looks like a fat boy besides the Safari!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:57   #154
Senior - BHPian

Considering that Safari is a decade old design, I would say it still has something in it to go for. Fortuner looks great overall and Safari not bad either.

Once it was my dream to own Fiat Uno then dream moved to Lancer and then to Safari!!! Finally bought Punto which is basically new Uno and I currently dream of Lancer Evo, might start dreaming of all new Safari after launched . Sorry for going off track.

Last edited by HammerHead : 6th May 2010 at 17:59.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:57   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I kinda started liking Safari's LOOK more than Fortuner by looking them next to each others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Well, for a totally biased opinion, Fortuner looks like a fat boy besides the Safari!
Heh heh, fat boy huh? I kinda like that -
Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-picture-038.jpg

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-picture-039.jpg
Sorry about the crappy quality - camera phone, against the sun etc etc
suman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 18:04   #156
BHPian

Wow, Safari is a car I have always dreamt of owning. Nice choice. It has an amazing road presence. Congratulations!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 06:32   #157
BHPian

Couple of days back, I had a tough job to do - fire my car cleaner who washes my Safari daily with water.
Reason - I wanted to do it myself to avoid scratch and reduce water usage.
Then, looked around for a duster and after reading through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...ni-review.html, I ordered for the same and received it yesterday in a proper packing.

Onething I couldnt understand is that there is no retailer (AFAIK) for this product, instead its sold only through eBAY ! Still trusted seller and it took only 3 days for me to get it.

Opened the pack and I wasnt too confident of using it good :(
I then had a meeting within next 30 mins. So, thought of just dumping in the big trunk and shall work on it the next day morning. But, I just thought why not, give it a try ?
Unzipped and started dusting (well, de-dusting).

It was 4 days dust and except the front wind-shield, rest of the areas - full body and the rear wind-shield and the BIG Safari spare-wheel cover, completely covered with a 4 days layer of dust !

Moment I started with the bonnet, I got too much enthu and finished up the entire de-dusting process within 15 mins including the roof-top and all my confidence was back ON It has an excellent reach and no need to step on the wheels to reach the roof-top unlike my cleaner used to do with a piece of cloth.

One real good thing about this - the dust that you take off doesnt spread or fly through the air. So, first of all, you will be clean and you wont be spreading it to the near by areas/vehicles.

If I do this on a daily basis, it shouldnt take more than 5 mins to de-dust the entire Safari.

I dont want to put in any images as its all well discussed in a dedicated thread in detail. I just wanted to share my experience with my biggie

Prem.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

Prem,

Jopasu duster is a blessing for such big vehicle owners! I now wash the vehicle only once a fortnight and the rest of the time it is just dusting down with the duster. The vehicle looks a good as new. And do note that my vehicle is always exposed to the elements.

The amount of water, effort and time is saves is huge!

Good buy!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 10:05   #159
Team-BHP Support

All you show-offs, cpmparing the Safari and the Fortuner in terms of looks !
The Safari's design has aged well, and still looks desirable. I just hope they dont lose the spare wheel off the rear, which would take away some of the SUV looks.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 15:14   #160
BHPian

@kaviprem: Can you please post the details about the HU in your Safari? I mean the model number of the Alpine unit. Also, if you have tried it, does this HU charge the ipod if it is connected to it? Also, does it come with the ipod connectivity cable? Can we also connect a USB pen drive or a USB external hard drive to the HU to play stored music?

Last edited by SumitB : 27th May 2010 at 15:16.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 07:11   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
@kaviprem: Can you please post the details about the HU in your Safari? I mean the model number of the Alpine unit. Also, if you have tried it, does this HU charge the ipod if it is connected to it? Also, does it come with the ipod connectivity cable? Can we also connect a USB pen drive or a USB external hard drive to the HU to play stored music?
HU Model - Alpine DVA-9861E
It comes with the IPOD connecting cable (atleast in my case).
I dont have an IPOD. So, havent used it yet to answer your other question.
USB port - NO.

Everyone, I made a trip to Chennai and Elagiri hills (Chennai-Bangalore highway - NH 46). It was such a nice experience and I will post more details in a day or 2 along with some photos.

Overall feel - My love with Safari just keeps increasing trip by trip

Prem.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:11   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
HU Model - Alpine DVA-9861E
It comes with the IPOD connecting cable (atleast in my case).
I dont have an IPOD. So, havent used it yet to answer your other question.
USB port - NO.

Everyone, I made a trip to Chennai and Elagiri hills (Chennai-Bangalore highway - NH 46). It was such a nice experience and I will post more details in a day or 2 along with some photos.

Overall feel - My love with Safari just keeps increasing trip by trip

Prem.
Thanks for this info Kavi. Now, this site claims that with the KCE-422i cable, the HU will charge the iPod Classic 80, 120 and 160GB when connected. So if anyone with the same HU and this cable has tested this, please provide feedback. If not, what is the solution to charge the connected iPod at the same time?
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 10:19   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
this site claims that with the KCE-422i cable, the HU will charge the iPod Classic 80, 120 and 160GB when connected. So if anyone with the same HU and this cable has tested this, please provide feedback.
See my experience, if it helps: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1909396

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 16:28   #164
BHPian

Default Trip to Elagiri hills

One liner - just awesome !!!
Attached few pics below.

Experience
  • Highway top speed of 150 KMPH !!! Very stable and highly in control.
  • I drove wherever I thought so. More importantly, few relatives were kind of panicking with the way I drove and parked the beast in the uneven roads & muddy places.
  • ~ 20 KMs of hill drive with a total of 14 hair pin bends. Altitude was ~ 5500 ft.
  • Excellent control while both climbing up & down. Climb up was done almost always in 3rd gear + 40/50 KM + 2000 rpm combination. Excellent road grip too.
  • Every minute of climb up was enjoyed by all the passengers and me. Not even a moment we felt a fear !

Observation [kind of expected too]
Beyond 130 KMPH, the Air noise from outside is very significant. This was the problem with Marina too. Any suggestion to improve sound-proofing from the environment ? I know 1 or 2 have done the engine dampening [or something] to isolate the engine noise.

Problem [after I reached home]
Almost after completing all the highway and came into the Bangalore City traffic, I noticed some jamming/jarring noise coming from the right, front wheel when I was turning the wheel to the extreme right (like a U-turn). The same noise was coming when making the steady too from he far-right extreme.
If I did the same very slowly, then, it wouldnt sound !

I couldnt sleep properly with it for 2 or 3 days. So, took it to KHT motors (Brookfield) this morning. Service engineer told its due to the over-turning of wheels that it touches lower-arm. He showed me something as lower-arm and cut down the turning-radius to fix that. As of now, I see a small cut-off in turning (means turning radius is increased a bit as compared to earlier).
I asked him if there is a way to measure the turning radius in the workshop and no proper response [as expected].
Any suggestion here please ?

Prem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1030698.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1030709.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1030724.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1030726.jpg  

Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-p1040060.jpg  

Old 1st June 2010, 14:24   #165
BHPian

Nice pictures, do you mean over turning of tyre rubs the tyre to the lower arm ? Have you visualised any damage to the inner side of tyre ?
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote