Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th July 2010, 19:15   #181
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Folks, I am getting ready for 2nd free service. Anything specific that I should take care or give importance to ?

Following are my current list of concerns
  • AC knob - not able to twist to the defogger, gets stuck in middle, a typical complaint I had/have with my Marina as well
  • Right side turning is reduced too much after the noise complaint. I need to set this right and I noticed in Bose's (Safari 2010 GX 4X4) thread that he was able to reduce the radius further.

Thanks in advance !
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 21:32   #182
BHPian

Hello Kaviprem. Is the noise problem now solved?
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 21:51   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Hello Kaviprem. Is the noise problem now solved?
YES, But, I am totally NOT satisfied at all with the increase in turning radius, that too only on right turn. Also, I got jealous when Bose got the turning radius less in his 2nd service

I am hoping that Concorde service people would be able to fix it properly. The earlier quick fix was done in KHT :(

Prem.
Old 17th July 2010, 19:05   #184
BHPian

Default The ugliest one !

The ugliest but naturally designed - the worst way I have ever seen my car !!!

Prem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-17072010316.jpg  

kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 22:02   #185
BHPian

Kaviprem Safari is in a really messed up state. You went for some trip or it has not been washed for a long time?
Old 18th July 2010, 08:26   #186
BHPian

Neither of them... It was just one evening city-drive in a rain for about 30 mins and its because of some two wheelers without rear mud flaps that spits mud :(

I am waiting for a good rain shower so that I can simply park the car outside to get this cleaned (to a maximum extent) by itself, but, not lucky yet !

Prem.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:08   #187
BHPian

Ha. Thats a nice idea. Maybe you will get lucky. Here in Lucknow it is raining almost everyday.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:07   #188
BHPian

Okay, even though I am posting this question in kaviprem's ownership thread, this question is for all Safari owners. Actually, I had made a booking for a Safari 2.2 VTT VX 4x4 in Pearl White a few days ago. Since the 4x4 is made on order, my vehicle is scheduled to arrive at my dealership in the last week of August. The latest status update I got was that the vehicle will be ready for loading in about 8 days from today.

In the meanwhile, my father-in-law who got the Indica Vista Quadrajet Anniversary Edition on 25th May, 2010 was having difficulties with his turban (he is a Sikh). If he lowered the seats, the turban would be okay but he could not see a thing on the road ahead of him. If he would raise the seats, he could not drive because of his turban. About 10 days ago, we visited the TASC together to get some niggles rectified on the Indica and there I coaxed him to try the driving seat of a Safari which was being serviced. When he got in the vehicle, he was astonished to see the amount of real estate available to him. He was absolutely comfortable in the seat, something which he was missing in the Indica. When he got out, I could very clearly see the disappointment in his eyes for getting the Indica, which he now realised, was a purchase made in haste. Anyways, letting bygones be bygones, we discussed the matter in the family and on Monday, after getting inputs from my mother-in-law and sister-in-laws, I spoke to him, man to man.

I told him that since he is not comfortable in driving the Indica, its only logical that we sell it off and since its only been 2 months that we got the Indica, we should get a good price for it. He was reluctant initially but after a little coaxing, he agreed, but he did not want to get a vehicle on finance. That I told him I would take care of and he finally gave in. I then rushed to the dealership where I booked the VX 4x4 for myself and spoke to the manager there about the possibility to get the VX 4x4 delivered with another VX 4x2 in the same color on the same date. He called up the Tata representative incharge for his dealership at Pune and she confirmed that indeed it would be possible for them to dispatch the VX 4x4 with another VX 4x2 on the same truck and so it was a done deal. As per the manager at my dealership, it takes 21-25 days for a truck to arrive at Shillong upon dispatch from Pune.

So now, we are taking delivery of 2 Safari's in Pearl White on the same date, i. e. 1st of September 2010, which happens to be the auspicious occasion of Janamashtmi.

Now my question:
1. Both the vehicles are going to be the new BS4 facelifted vehicles, which come with leather seats and leather trim including the Steering Wheel. I read somewhere on the forums that the steering wheel on the new Safari has leather of poor quality and as such, a steering wheel cover is recommended. How true is this? Also, if I get the steering wheel cover, won't it increase the size of the already thick steering wheel?

2. Both me and my father-in-law perspire a lot and even the current Indica which comes with leather seats is showing signs of sweat all over. Is it recommended that we get those Turkish Towel seat covers? I have seen these with the distributor at Guwahati and they were looking decent? These were quoted for about 3500/- for the Safari and come with 1 year warranty.

3. I plan to religiously follow the PDI inspection list before taking delivery. Apart from this list, is there anything specific I need to look for before signing the dotted line?

Another unrelated question. How much should I expect for the 2 month old, 3000 kms. driven Tata Indica Vista Quadrajet Anniversary Edition? It is so new that even the RC of the vehicle has not come in yet. We are in no hurry to sell it off and will not sell it off as a distress sale. So I wanted to know how much should we expect for it. Any pointers in this direction will be appreciated.

Last edited by SumitB : 21st July 2010 at 13:09.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 13:54   #189
BHPian

@Mods: I wanted to edit the above post but am not able to do so. If possible please merge this post with the previous one.

Another question I would like to ask. Are the Door Visors (Rain Guards) recommended for the Safari. Do we have any Safari on the forums with pictures for the Door Visors?
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 14:14   #190
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

SumitB

1) Door Visors do come for the Safari, the most recommended one is the transparent dark tint (wide/large) sized one. The opaque and narrow ones are of poorer quality. Cost about 1.5-3K. depending on where and which exact version you get. They are good the only bad part about them is that they after a year or so or if not fitted properly tend to fall off / start comming off while driving and if they fall on the road and another vehicle goes over it, then that is the end of it. I used one twice and both times they met the same fate of falling after about a year and then being crushed, and since the set looked odd with 1 missing cover, I would get them all removed.

2) Turkish covers on leather VX/GX models is criminal, at least in that case you could have picked the GX model with partial leather covers (Missing out on the Airbags, reverse camera and DVD player screens) or even the EX. (but then u miss out on the ABS). Sweating should not be that big a problem in a large sized Safari, so try avoiding the turkish towels. If it is a problem try putting just the back rest cloth like we do on sofas at home. They would fit after a hole is made for the head rest.

3) New stearing covers would not be required for a long while and when required, you can give the stearing wheel itself to a guy who fits stiched leather covers, and for about 2-2.5k he will remove the existing cover and fit a new one of the colour and quality and style of your choise without increase in the size of the stearing.

2)
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 17:14   #191
BHPian

SumitB, First of all, Double Congratulations !!! I am just not able to imagine how good it would be to take out 2 PW Safari's and both VX at a time from a dealership !!!!
Just awesome man.

Pass on the wishes to your FIL too on behalf of TBHP.

Coming to your stearing wheel question, NO, the existing cover is not bad at all and it gives me enough grip and dont see any wear/tear so far. Definitely, you dont need a cover on top of it. Let it just look like how its stocked up to match the seat, the door-insets, etc ...

Enjoy the time-off bcoz the moment you get 2 safari's, I am sure, you would be very busy in getting them out

Prem.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:31   #192
BHPian

great thread and big confidence booster to new safari buyer like me

after contemplating on the innova [family], scorpio [garage guys and others] and safari [well just me and my wife once she sat in TD] i have decided to go for safari

since its my first big buy [first brand new car] i am happy to read all your reviews.

i have taken a good look at PDI and VIN. i enquired at few dealers in mumbai. I have decided for GX version 4x2 [color not decided, maybe u could help] , a dealer [wasan] told me delivery within 10 days.

now is it possible to get it in 10 days [hope i do not get a TD vehicle sold] and 10 days is too good to be true while [concorde] told me 4 weeks depending on color.

i have to enquire at [om sai] the third one.

hope someone can give my buying tips, better turn out i get good vehicle or i have to face double wrath from my home

MODS IF THIS IS IN INAPT THREAD PLS MOVE OR SUGGEST.

regards
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:50   #193

@kaviprem Thankyou

Safari's Steering wheel cover is not too bad (Yesterday only I got my Safari, so drived for 1 day only), at least for me, as previously I was using Maruti SX4 without steering wheel cover.

also I do not feel that by putting extra cover you are going to increase permimeter of the wheel by big amout, it should be marginal, it will only change the grip that you get while driving, its my personal opinion.

Any suggestions for Cover for Safari?
lilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 18:33   #194
BHPian

Folks, I need some quick advice here.

1 - Is the Anti-scratch/Teflon coating needed for Safari ? If so, what exactly the purpose of it and is it really worth the cost ? I think, it was 4K or something. NOT SURE.

2 - Is the Anti-rust coating for Safari recommended ? As per what the service advisor told me, it covers all the chasis and under-body areas. I am coated 2.5K (including TAX).

If someone can reply to this, it would be great !

Prem.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:54   #195
Senior - BHPian

1 - Is the Anti-scratch/Teflon coating needed for Safari ? If so, what exactly the purpose of it and is it really worth the cost ? I think, it was 4K or something. NOT SURE.

I have got this done for my Safari when I purchased it, not of much value but for aesthetics, I keep getting it redone when I give it for service, antiscratch is just B.S.

2 - Is the Anti-rust coating for Safari recommended ? As per what the service advisor told me, it covers all the chasis and under-body areas. I am coated 2.5K (including TAX).

I would recommend this for any Tata vehicle, this really prevents rust formation and acts as a sound dampner to a certain extent. If you are getting it done, insist on Wurth and please personally supervise the application.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote