Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 16:31   #256
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 817
Thanked: 581 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

I am due to 2nd service and dont have any major complaints except the usual "Safari" complaints door and seat rattling.
Anything that I should look for "in specific" while going for 2nd service ?

Couple of things I want to do
1) I am planning to go for 3M UV protection. Can anyone suggest if its good to go with Concorde Motors itself OR the one opened new in HSR layout is a better option for doing the same ?

2) I want to get a GPS + Bluetooth unit. I saw 1 or 2 models in mapmyindia. Anyone have better suggestion on this and where to get this fitted properly ? I am looking for in and around Marathahalli area to do the same.

Thanks in advance.
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 17:03   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,182
Thanked: 367 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I am due to 2nd service and dont have any major complaints except the usual "Safari" complaints door and seat rattling.
Anything that I should look for "in specific" while going for 2nd service ?
Congraulations on completing one year with your Safari. What does the odo stand at?

I cannot think of anything in specific - the service checklist available in user manual is pretty exhaustive provided the service center technicians follow it religiously

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I am planning to go for 3M UV protection. Can anyone suggest if its good to go with Concorde Motors itself OR the one opened new in HSR layout is a better option for doing the same ?
What exactly is UV protection? Does it preserve your paint/exterior finish? I got my 3M teflon coating and underbody protection done from Concorde (sales - at the time of delivery) and they did a fair job. That said, the HSR layout one is a company owned outlet and they would definitely do a better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I want to get a GPS + Bluetooth unit. I saw 1 or 2 models in mapmyindia. Anyone have better suggestion on this and where to get this fitted properly?
I would recommend getting a Garmin unit (best in the business) and use it with MMI or SatNav maps. All relevant information available on this (The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc))thread.

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th February 2011 at 17:04.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 21:08   #258
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 817
Thanked: 581 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

^^ Yes, UV coating is to protect paint/finish from sun.
I think, this UV protection and teflon coating are the same, need to check/confirm.

Expectation of "Better" job is what makes me think of the company owned 3M showroom.

Btw, ODO clocks around 11,300 KMs so far and it completes an year on this Friday, Feb 18.

Thanks CD for your quick thoughts.
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 09:12   #259
BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Prem - Look forward to your quick note if you happen to visit the 3M showroom for the UV protection. Please also share the cost and the time it takes for them to complete this.
Given that my safari is also black , i find it extrememly difficult to maintain. Its only 45 days or so and i already have a lot of swirl marks visible all around the car. I would be interested to see how good this UV protection from 3M goes.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 09:55   #260
BHPian
 
verditer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hosur, Tamilnadu
Posts: 323
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Is there any info that this UV protection/teflon coating will help avoid swirl marks?

Mine is also black and have some swirl marks - But I think the swirl marks were due to incorrect washing and wiping in the first few days - I even once washed it at a road side service station in Kanyakumari and the guy liberally wiped with a dirty cloth. That could've caused many swirls, and also at the TASS during each service they wash and wipe it which could also have caused the swirls.

Now I use Jopasu duster for dusting everyday and use jopasu microfiber cloth for washing and wiping once a week, and I think I have not introduced any new swirl marks, and I only see the old ones... Better washing and wiping technique is absolute must if we want to preserve the paint finish and gloss, especially so in a black car.


Jkrishnakj: Stop washing and wiping your Safari the way you are doing now, and get hold of the jopasu duster and some good mcirofiber cloths for washing.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 11:58   #261
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 817
Thanked: 581 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

^^ and ^^ Both Jkrishnakj & verditer, Buy a couple of microfiber clothes from a Shell store. It costs 179.00 each and its worth buying that. I have been using that since I got my car home. I dont have any major complaints with it.

I will definitely share the cost, time and experience with the 3M if I decide to visit the shop. I am planning for my service only next week.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 12:33   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Buy a couple of microfiber clothes from a Shell store. It costs 179.00 each and its worth buying that.
Thanks for information. I will visit Shell petrol bunk nearby to buy one or two for me too. I was searching for many days about it and thinking of going Reliance Auto Store near Silk Board.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 18:22   #263
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Is there any info that this UV protection/teflon coating will help avoid swirl marks?

Mine is also black and have some swirl marks - But I think the swirl marks were due to incorrect washing and wiping in the first few days - I even once washed it at a road side service station in Kanyakumari and the guy liberally wiped with a dirty cloth. That could've caused many swirls, and also at the TASS during each service they wash and wipe it which could also have caused the swirls.

Now I use Jopasu duster for dusting everyday and use jopasu microfiber cloth for washing and wiping once a week, and I think I have not introduced any new swirl marks, and I only see the old ones... Better washing and wiping technique is absolute must if we want to preserve the paint finish and gloss, especially so in a black car.


Jkrishnakj: Stop washing and wiping your Safari the way you are doing now, and get hold of the jopasu duster and some good mcirofiber cloths for washing.
Hi Verditer,
It was nice speaking to you yesterday. That gave me a lot of confidence and I have booked a black Safari today with Concord Motors. Now waiting to get the delivery.. Thank you very much.

Meanwhile, this is good info on how to maintain the black beast. I have asked for a 3M Outer body protection. Will also buy some microfiber clothes from Shell.

Anymore tips, sir?

Last edited by recker_us : 16th February 2011 at 18:23. Reason: .
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 10:12   #264
BHPian
 
verditer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hosur, Tamilnadu
Posts: 323
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Hi Verditer,
It was nice speaking to you yesterday. That gave me a lot of confidence and I have booked a black Safari today with Concord Motors. Now waiting to get the delivery.. Thank you very much.

Meanwhile, this is good info on how to maintain the black beast. I have asked for a 3M Outer body protection. Will also buy some microfiber clothes from Shell.

Anymore tips, sir?
Wow congratulations JP on booking. Looking forward to your thread. Just saw another thread started by Amol with his new Black EX, yours is going to be another black.
Only one reminder - dont forget to get the jopasu duster, costs Rs.450.. send a PM to MKH and he'll deliver it to you through someone. I feel it is a must for a black safari.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 14:00   #265
BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Thanks Prem and Suresh. I am off for a long drive tonight to Masinagudi. Will pick up the fibre cloths from the Shell pump. I also plan to visit the e-bay site and order the Jopasu duster. It pains to see the marks, especially, when the car is not even two months old. I am hoping that by good rubbing and washing at 3M store, they might be able to bring the shine back.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:40   #266
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 817
Thanked: 581 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

A question to the Safari experts in this forum.
I have given my Safari for 15K KM service this morning.
I am suggested by the service adviser to go for Synthetic oil instead of the regular one's. The price difference is something like Rs. 700 per liter b/w the regular and synthetic which means of a difference of close to Rs.5000.00.
Is it worth going for it ? Whats the advantage of synthetic oil over the regular one's ?

Thanks in advance.
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:54   #267
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,638 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

For normal running it won't make much of a different. API-CH4 or higher grade engine oil will suit your engine just fine as long as you change it every 15000kms.
If you frequently do 3500 rpm + runs, then synthetic may make some sense, otherwise, save the money.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:56   #268
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

No point IMHO. Use regular oil and change at 7500kms. Still it would cost you only 2000Rs or so.

But I guess with synthetic, you can do 15k and you can give us a review
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:07   #269
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,638 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Why change at 7500? the company is recommending 15000, and its best to stick to company recommendation. Only in case of mountain driving etc., you need to change at 7500. I had only my first oil change at 7500, because my car was a May 2008 mfr, and I did not want to wait for more than 6 months to get my first oil change.
After that all oil changes have been at company specified intervals of 15000kms.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:22   #270
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why change at 7500? the company is recommending 15000, and its best to stick to company recommendation. Only in case of mountain driving etc., you need to change at 7500. I had only my first oil change at 7500, because my car was a May 2008 mfr, and I did not want to wait for more than 6 months to get my first oil change.
After that all oil changes have been at company specified intervals of 15000kms.
TSK; dont they recommend oil change at 7500ksm if you drive lot in city?

And the Safari feels smoother and silent after every oil change.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4 Bose Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 94 1st September 2010 21:14
Petrol variant or CRDE/CRDI variant car is better ?? uvais Sedans 7 30th October 2007 03:49
For SALE TATA SAFARI DICOR LX 4x4 nitinbhag Shifting gears 2 31st August 2006 13:38
for sale:tata safari 4X4 aadix Shifting gears 0 7th June 2005 11:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks