Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th March 2010, 13:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default My new Honda Civic V AT

Dear friends,

After about a year long search, research, test drives, discussions etc, I have finally booked my new car, a Habanero Red Honda Civic V AT. Planning to take delivery sometime next week. Still waiting to fix accessories such as sun film and reverse parking sensor. See some pictures below taken from the stock yard. Looks pretty dirty with all the dust and grime there. Will have better pics during delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Honda Civic V AT-picture-006.jpg  

My new Honda Civic V AT-picture-007.jpg  

My new Honda Civic V AT-picture-010.jpg  

My new Honda Civic V AT-picture-015.jpg  

vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 13:44   #2
BHPian

Hi Vasoo,

Congratulations for your ride.

Welcome to Honda and Habanero Red Club.

Couldn't manage to get Michelin?

Once delivered, don't forget to share the experiences with dealer and reasons to opt it.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 6th March 2010 at 13:48.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 14:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did not insist on Michelin since anyway I was planning to upsize to MPLC 205/65 R15. I expected to get at least Bridgestones. These NCT5 is pretty cheap and so exchange price quotes I am getting are too high ranging from 11k to 15k for 5 tyres. Still on the lookout. I am also considering CPC2 instead of MPLC. But 205/65 ones are not available.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 16:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats vasoo! Habanero red is my favorite colour on a Civic too! Have a great time with it. Any cosmetic or performance mods in mind?
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 16:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vasso,

Congratulations on your Civic.
post your ownership experience as well as feedback about the dealer.

i visited your profile, you have mentioned 2007 BMW 320D as your car
do you own one ?, if yes, post the ownership feedback about that car as well.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 17:07   #6
BHPian

Hi
congrats..
its simply very nice car...looks very decent..
can you also elaborate the fuel efficiency of Honda city AT in city & highways both...
vikram999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 17:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

@McLaren_Rulez: Thanks a lot. H Red is actually not my favorite, but then certain things are not in our hand

@StarVegabond: Beemer is at my hometown and used for our family business. I drive it when I go there. I will post about it separately.

@vikram999: I am yet to take delivery. Will post detailed experience later.
Old 7th March 2010, 13:38   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from MOD : We do NOT allow mere booking threads anymore. For that, we have a dedicated "I booked my car thread".

This section is only for complete driving & ownership reports. Kindly PM when you are ready to update this thread with a full review.

For now, this thread is closed.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2010 at 13:40.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Initial long drive review

Some updates on my new car. I had done a 900 km trip this weekend on a combination of excellent, moderate single/two lane and ghat roads. Did not religiously follow any procedure for "run in" even though I avoided high revving beyond 3K RPM and speeds beyond 120 kmph in general.

Driving experience:
Car did handle exceedingly well in all cases except for the unusually high tyre noise on rough roads and not so confident inspiring turning/cornering at relatively high speeds of about 70-80 kmph. AT really helped a lot in ghat roads and using paddle shift made it even sweeter by returning a better FE. The AT transmission in S mode rarely shifts to first gear unless the car comes to almost a dead stop. I also observed that I could never get the transmission move from 3 to 2 while in S mode. It always jumps straight from 3rd to 1st gear. Not sure if any other Civic AT owners face this situation. I was surprised to see the car holding on to 3rd gear even at very low speeds (about 15kmph) and during steep climbs with 4 people and luggage on board.

FE:
Got up to 13.3 on onward trip and reduced to 12.5 on return due to some fast driving(up to 133 kmph) and steep climbing and twisty roads. I found that using paddle shifts in S mode is pretty useful in irregular roads for extracting better FE. The idea is to let the car decide to do the downshifts (4>3>2>1) and we do the upshifts (1>2>3>4>5) whenever possible. This seems to help in reducing FE, specifically on twisty/ghat roads. I could change from 7 to 9.5 kmpl on certain stretches by employing this approach.

Comfort:
My family including my mother found the car very comfortable during the entire journey. They have never done such a long trip before in a single stretch. Driving also was very comfortable as I was finally able to find an optimal seat/steering position after lot of trial and error. I am of average height at about 5'7". I had initially tried to set the seat position at its highest. Later I found that it is better to first independently set the seat position at the most comfortable seating position overall and then adjust the steering wheel rake and reach to my convenience. I also got used to the overall low seating position as I realized that there is no point in trying to stretch the neck to see the immediate front side of the car. This only results in neck pain. A/c is very effective and found to cool the compartment pretty fast. Set temp at 24 in auto mode which is pretty decent for most cases. Leather seats are pretty decent and the "hump-less" rear seating enhances the overall leg space and comfort at the back. I would have liked the center arm rest to have cup holders. Lack of steering audio controls was pretty irritating as reaching the controls on the console was pretty distracting many times. The rear seat controls were rarely used.

NVH:
Engine is very silent and many times I had to really look at the RPM meter to make sure that engine is running. Road noise is evident on rough roads which is made worse by the OEM Goodyear NCT tyres. Have to change them to some better ones like MPLC or CPC2 after a couple of months.

ICE:
I did not try CDs yet in the music system as I already had large number of mp3 songs on USB flash drives. Sound quality is pretty decent for an OEM system. However I am planning to change at least the speakers in the near future.

Headlights:
Did not find them particularly good. Fogs also doesnt seem to have desired effect beyond a few feet in front, which you will never really notice given the low seating. Have to look at changing headlamps with better bulbs or HIDs. The leveling controls are pretty useless as even at 0 level, the highest, it seems to be pretty low for dim position.

Sunfilms:
Installed RE35 on sides and back from dealer. Seems to be very effective in hot sun. Its slight reflective property enhances the looks of the car and there is absolutely no interference with radio signals or mobile reception.

Reverse parking sensors:
Installed the model with RVM attachment. Seems pretty decent so far even though the female voice over is a bit irritating with some non-English narration. May be Chinese or some other Asian languages. The sensors installed on the rear bumper doesn't look good though.

Storage:
Enough number of storage/cubby holes for keeping lots of stuff. Boot space is sufficient for most cases though not as cavernous as that of ANHC.

Others:
Horn is pretty hard to reach and press when required urgently.

GC is an issue for unusually large humps, but never scraped on general road undulations or gutters even with decent load.

Main gripes:
> Very noisy OEM tyres
> Lack of audio controls on steering
> Lack of lumbar support on driver seats
> Very average headlights and fog lamps
> Loud and scary thuds when bottoming on large humps
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some snaps from various roads we traveled.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Honda Civic V AT-img_0235.jpg  

My new Honda Civic V AT-img_0240.jpg  

My new Honda Civic V AT-img_0170.jpg  

My new Honda Civic V AT-img_0179.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2010, 09:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Main gripes:
> Very noisy OEM tyres
Looks like Michilen has some low noise, my ANHC is on MRF and even I feel the same.

Quote:
> Lack of audio controls on steering
It's pity that Honda didn't provide them on Civic. It's a wonderful feature though.

Quote:
> Very average headlights and fog lamps
Common problem to most of the Honda owners, last time when I checked in Dakshin they were ok to upgrade the headlights to Xenons, but the guy from Accessories was not available to check the price and availability. Even Iam in need of upgrading. B103(Biju) upgraded his bulbs to Osram and it improved, Just check it at the dealer.

Quote:
> Loud and scary thuds when bottoming on large humps
hmm, we just need to drive cautiously, there are threads with some tips to avoid scraping. But if it's fully loaded then there's no way we can avoid it on the abnormal humps laid.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with Xenons is that they are illegal for High Beam. If you are willing to ignore this then go for Bixenons rather than the single discharge (I do not like to call it filament) things. The Heath Robinsonian contraption used to move the singles between High & Low beams is a constant pain. A bi-xenon will take a fraction of a second for the discharge to stabilize as you go from one to the other.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Completed my first service in about 2 hours today. No issues and no charges. Apparently there are some scratches in the under-chassis due to bottoming in some of the ultra-large humps around the city. In fact, the car never scraped anywhere outside the city limits during my trip! That clearly indicated where the extra money we pay in terms of road tax and petrol tax in Bangalore goes
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hmm it looks like the upgraded rear suspension isn't enough to stop the car from scraping the bumps. That probably means its a GC issue and not a problem due to the soft set up of the older Civic.

Try driving over humps at an angle. It may help.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Looks like Michilen has some low noise, my ANHC is on MRF and even I feel the same.
Thank God, MRF is not yet an option in Civic. Else I would have had to live with that now. I hope they may introduce it now considering the recent price hike. I had planned to change the tyres right from showroom. But due to some personal work I could not do that yet. Hope to do it soon.

Quote:
It's pity that Honda didn't provide them on Civic. It's a wonderful feature though.
I know. Reaching audio controls from drivers seat is extremely painful and distracting. Those are some of the advantages ANHC has over Civic. Somehow Honda felt Indians who buy Civic don't drive them! I have rarely seen any chauffeured Civic in Bangalore. At least for AT models they should have provided it. Why would anybody buy AT if he is going to be driven around. And in fact many Altis cars are seen with drivers who can enjoy the steering audio controls, powered driver seat adjustment and lumbar support . Strange thought processes.

Quote:
Common problem to most of the Honda owners, last time when I checked in Dakshin they were ok to upgrade the headlights to Xenons, but the guy from Accessories was not available to check the price and availability. Even Iam in need of upgrading. B103(Biju) upgraded his bulbs to Osram and it improved, Just check it at the dealer.
It is also a documented problem of Civic sold abroad. I remember seeing a Consumer Reports study which says the road illumination system in Civic is weak in comparison to its competitors. I wonder why they did not address this even for the minor face-lift last year. I believe the HIDs cost about 10k at the dealer.

Quote:
hmm, we just need to drive cautiously, there are threads with some tips to avoid scraping. But if it's fully loaded then there's no way we can avoid it on the abnormal humps laid.
I tried every trick available to manage humps that were identifiable in advance. Even then it scrapes for the ones in NH4. For those which are not noticeable, nothing can be done other than learning through the hard way.