Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th March 2010, 16:03   #211
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. I wish I had the courage and the ability to consider such a sweet deal.

IMHO, the tail-lights of the original Civic are much better than the new ones, which perhaps look like change for its own sake.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 16:11   #212
Team-BHP Support

I was waiting for a friend at Marine Drive last weekend whilst a white Civic came and parked right in front of me. I couldn't help but notice how almost brand new it looked.
I immediately thought of it to be Rush's car, but to confirm I walked back to spot the Bhp sticker and then to reconfirm I spotted a familiar Monkey head on the passenger seat.
Nice car GTO, too bad I didnt' have time to 'check it out' that evening.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 16:16   #213
BHPian

@GTO: Well that's certainly white cream with a great price. Looking forward to learn more on the tuning/tweaking experience. It just indicates that we can be a bit more patient and find a great deal. Hats off!!!

I've been glued to your buying experience that you've shared with all fellow BHPians and I must admit that it really helped me in spotting an Octy in Pune in prime condition. Here's the details of my new ride I've homed in on... Waiting for tomorrow (Gudi Padwa) to set the deal going

1. Peted 2008 1.9TDi Skoda Octy Rider + 5x16" Alloy Wheels + 90,000Kms done.
2. Stanley upholstrey.
3. K&N Conical Air Filter.
4. JBL Amp with 8 Boston Acoustic Speakers and 1 JBL 1100W Woofer + Sony Touch Screen Music System with GPS enabled.
5. No accident record. The computer tests ran over it came error/niggle free.
6. No insurance claims made to date. Same insurance company since date of purchase.
5. Single owner. Insured till February 2011. Asking Price Rs. 6,25,000

Deal finalized for Rs. 5,25,000 (minus Sony Player) after driving it for a good 200Kms...!

Thanks for initiating this thread. Loved it!!!
inreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 16:24   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Even if you don't complete the Kms, the oil has to be changed. This is because every time the engine stops and cools down, there is condensation which drips down into the oil, contaminating it.
Ya.. I know that. But even if you dont complete the Kms, oil change once a year is fine, you dont have to change it every 6 months (thats MHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@gaurav: I think they have now hiked the service interval to 5000/10000 and six months...
No. Its 5k kms or 3 months, confirmed this with Ring Road Honda, Moti Nagar. We have to go in for 25k service this weekend.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 15th March 2010 at 16:32.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 22:51   #215
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I think the reason for the low price is that for used cars in India, the year is a bigger determining factor than mileage. I doubt the price of a 30k km 07 Civic would be drastically lower, for example.
You make a valid point, atleast from the seller's perspective. Example : That '08 white Civic I spoke about in my opening posts. He couldn't care less about the average condition of his car, or the high kms. Just the fact that his Civic was an '08 led to him being firm on a high price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Cheers to used car believers, more converts mean more buyers in used car market means more people at lesser entry price point
That also means higher prices for us buyers . I hope the rest of the crowd continues to buy new, and leaves the meat for us BHPians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
But what do suggest for a person who buys a new civic, more so a Honda. The service interval is 5k kms or 3 months as you know.
When your car is within the factory warranty period, you have no choice but to stick to their recommended service schedules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Apologies if you've mentioned this before - does Auto Terrace offer any warranty?
I believe they offer some kind of 12 month warranty, though I wouldn't be surprised if its a lousy engine / tranny coverage only. Anyways, with my Mods on the way, I'm least bothered with the warranty they offer.

Quote:
It's a bit of a dilemma - on the one hand, I yearn to get the peace of mind and the new car feel (and smell!), and on the other hand, I know that no new car will satisfy my unreasonable (?) expectations!
Would you rather have:

a) A new car with that new car smell

b) A nearly new car with your choice of alloys, tyres, ICE, exhaust and remap. And still have $$$ left over for 6 years of fuel?

Quote:
I guess a sparingly used Honda is the idal compromise. Almost a new car, Honda reliability and of course, a segment above any new car one can afford.
Honda & Toyota, both, make for outstanding used buys. I'd avoid the Euros though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inreverse View Post
I've been glued to your buying experience that you've shared with all fellow BHPians and I must admit that it really helped me in spotting an Octy in Pune in prime condition. Here's the details of my new ride I've homed in on... Waiting for tomorrow (Gudi Padwa) to set the deal going
Congratulations! I'm glad my articles were of help to you. Please create a detailed ownership thread, so that others may benefit from your experience too.

Quote:
No. Its 5k kms or 3 months, confirmed this with Ring Road Honda, Moti Nagar. We have to go in for 25k service this weekend.
Confirm any potential change in policy with Honda directly. Dealers will mask "recommended services" as "required services" for obvious reason.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 00:59   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That also means higher prices for us buyers . I hope the rest of the crowd continues to buy new, and leaves the meat for us BHPians!
Comeon, that almost sounded so stupid of us ("the crowd") for cashing on new civic! But seriously, I did check up few used civics here befoe finally deciding on to go for a new one. It's just that my heart was not set on a used one that costs 8-9 lacs for 2-3 years old civics in good condition and less mileage.. The driving point inside my head that time, was why take the chance with a used car, when an extra 3 lacs can fetch me a brand new civic.. For me, 8-9 lacs was not a small amount to any extent, to gamble on a used car (of course, not offending on your decision!). And it is not often that we buy car, so, for the absolute peace of mind and assurance, the crowd (including myself) will continue to buy new ones.. but if I stumbled upon a mint car, like yours, I would not mind cashing on it, but that does not happen all the time, right?
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 10:48   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Confirm any potential change in policy with Honda directly. Dealers will mask "recommended services" as "required services" for obvious reason.
Thanks for the input, will try confirm this with Honda itself.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:19   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
It's just that my heart was not set on a used one that costs 8-9 lacs for 2-3 years old civics in good condition and less mileage.. The driving point inside my head that time, was why take the chance with a used car, when an extra 3 lacs can fetch me a brand new civic.. For me, 8-9 lacs was not a small amount to any extent, to gamble on a used car (of course, not offending on your decision!). And it is not often that we buy car, so, for the absolute peace of mind and assurance, the crowd (including myself) will continue to buy new ones.. but if I stumbled upon a mint car, like yours, I would not mind cashing on it, but that does not happen all the time, right?
@iTNerd: You took the words just out of my mouth...I agree with you 200% and that is precisely why I went for a new Civic too.

Having said that, I would have considered a used car provided the owner was personally well known to me, the car having done low miles etc.But as you said, that never happens all the time right ?
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 11:55   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Comeon, that almost sounded so stupid of us ("the crowd") for cashing on new civic!
.... The driving point inside my head that time, was why take the chance with a used car, when an extra 3 lacs can fetch me a brand new civic..
... For me, 8-9 lacs was not a small amount to any extent, to gamble on a used car (of course, not offending on your decision!). And it is not often that we buy car, so, for the absolute peace of mind and assurance, the crowd (including myself) will continue to buy new ones..
Cannot resist answering, sorry GTO.
Hey iTNerd, the crowd is definitely not stupid, the 'taking a chance (with a lemon)' is precisely and most viably the driving force for overwhelming a guy into buying a new car. A new car is a new car is a new car, and this intangible feeling (including the smell of new, LoL) is another driving factor. There is something very pleasing in touching spotless upholstery of a new car. When the crowd leaves the meat for the used car market, it definitely has chewed on the meatiest parts and enjoyed thoroughly, no? In fact, increase in used car market would result in gorwth of new car market too, giving the new buyers better choices. On the other hand, if no one bought used cars, where would poeple upgrading dispose their old cars? A used car deal becomes just the win-win situation then. So let us used car believers know when you choose to upgrade to the Accord, looks like right now you got a nice piece of white meat too, drool drool.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 16th March 2010 at 11:58.
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 14:44   #220
Senior - BHPian

@ Delta Wing, rr_zen, and iTNerd - First of all I would agree that most people are afraid that they may end up buying a lemon, so they do buy a new car instead of pre owned. I did try to convince my cousin who bought a new civic sports to buy a pre owned (budget was 10 lac initially), but he was never too keen on it. I respect the decision of everyone who buys new, even my Dad does (booked a Polo, I would have bought a 2006 civic for 6.5 lac, instead)

However, If one can understand the logic behind buying a pre owned car and more so once uses it, I am sure he/she will not buy new until they have enough money splurge on cars (thats MHO)

In case of a car as common on roads as Civic, one can find plenty good cars out in the market, it just needs time and effort to look around (if you buy a new car, you just need pay and get the car).

In a pre owned buy, if one gets the car checked at the service station and also checks the service history, half of the worry is gone. Further, check with the insurance company and one can’t be more satisfied. In a car such as civic, service interval is any ways 5k or 3 months, better, one knows when last was the car serviced and what was the reading on the OD (hence, no chance it has been tampered). So 95%, one will never land up with a lemon.

Secondly, even if one does, the resale is soo good that he/she can sell it again at a discount of 50 to 70 k. Net net one may lose a maximum 80 k on the buy and the chances are 5% (that too if you don’t get it checked properly). But, just see the saving one makes on a pre owned, atleast 5 to 6 lacs on a 3 year old car with max 30-40k on the clock. Modern cars have a life of 2 lac kms if maintained properly. So they are run only one-fifth of their life. More so, you can sell the car after using it for 5 years for 3-4 lac rupees, 4-5lac depreciation against 10 to 11 lac in case of new car.

So you may end up saving 5-6lac rupees if you can risk as little as 70-80k. That sure is very calculated, isn’t it! And I believe the opportunity cost of that 5-6 lac is much more than most of us can think of.

Lastly, if it is about new smell, I myself had to tell people that I bought a pre-owned cedia, It never looked like used and was not abused at all. Even after 46k kms on the clock, my car’s interiors are as good as new. I know it is hard to find such deals but one certainly do get them if one is patient and looks around thoroughly.

Cars like Civic are never used, they are PRE-OWNED. Even BMW advertises their old cars as pre-owned I don’t think that they have the left over meat..iss it?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th March 2010 at 14:56.
Old 16th March 2010, 22:46   #221
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the wonderful deal you got on the Civic GTO, The car looks Brand new and its a steal at the price you picked it at. Civic is a lovely car to drive and with the Mods you plan I am sure you are gonna love it even further, I can say that from experience

The Remap+Intake+Exhaust is all you need to solve the low end grunt problems and make the already rev friendly engine more fun than ever. I enjoy every bit of this car everytime I take it out for a spin, Truly after doing all these MODS to my civic, The Car does not feel like a Civic anymore, I am using the Tuned-i-Chips Remap instead of the RD one.

The Suspension upgrade is also a big necessary requirement IMHO. With the Stiffer Eibach Springs and Koni suspension, the rear does not Bottom out and car handles like a charm, though a bit stiff to my liking, but thats a very small price to pay considering the amount of Handling character you get out of the Car.
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 23:08   #222
Senior - BHPian

Alittle late in the day but Congrats for a great car at a great price. Would love to see the performance mods that go on it now since soon ill be saying bye to the wife's 04 City CVT and replacing it with a Civic...alas it has to be an A/T, she wont drive anything else.

Have you finalized the shoe and Rim upgrade as yet. IMHO, the stock rims look good too. Just get the rubber upgraded.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:18   #223
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Comeon, that almost sounded so stupid of us ("the crowd") for cashing on new civic! But seriously, I did check up few used civics here befoe finally deciding on to go for a new one.
Apologies. I mean no offence. Buying a new car is the safest way to go about car ownership & guarantees "peace of the mind". It's just that, taking all required precautions and ending up with a great used car is "max bang for the buck". Again, the precautions outlined in our used car article are mandatory; follow them and you are all set. I know I ain't buying new for a long time to come.

Quote:
In case of a car as common on roads as Civic, one can find plenty good cars out in the market, it just needs time and effort to look around (if you buy a new car, you just need pay and get the car).
Combing through the market for a good piece requires effort for sure. To me, its a fun experience & well worth the effort.

Quote:
In a pre owned buy, if one gets the car checked at the service station and also checks the service history, half of the worry is gone.
Quote:
Further, check with the insurance company and one can’t be more satisfied.
Truer words haven't ever been spoken. Even if an automotive-illiterate person wants to buy a used car, these 3 steps raise the probability of a good deal to 90%.

Gaurav : your overall post was A+. If only there was a way to give an individual post a 5 star rating, I would have done so. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Civic is a lovely car to drive and with the Mods you plan I am sure you are gonna love it even further, I can say that from experience
Quote:
The Remap+Intake+Exhaust is all you need to solve the low end grunt problems and make the already rev friendly engine more fun than ever. I enjoy every bit of this car everytime I take it out for a spin, Truly after doing all these MODS to my civic, The Car does not feel like a Civic anymore, I am using the Tuned-i-Chips Remap instead of the RD one.
I've carefully screened your Civic thread and will surely drop a couple of questions on it, when I'm ready for engine mods. I want to lay down about 5,000 kms of hard driving on the engine before starting with the Mods. Reason : this car has never been high-revved before (needs an Italian tune-up ), and I've only just fed her Mobil 1. I am practically looking for excuses to take her out on the highway

Quote:
With the Stiffer Eibach Springs and Koni suspension, the rear does not Bottom out and car handles like a charm, though a bit stiff to my liking, but thats a very small price to pay considering the amount of Handling character you get out of the Car.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Would love to see the performance mods that go on it now since soon ill be saying bye to the wife's 04 City CVT and replacing it with a Civic...alas it has to be an A/T, she wont drive anything else.
Gogi, you might want to give the i20 AT a try. Women absolutely love the car.

Quote:
Have you finalized the shoe and Rim upgrade as yet. IMHO, the stock rims look good too. Just get the rubber upgraded.
Not yet. Checked out a couple of designs at Saifee, none were to my liking.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:32   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gogi, you might want to give the i20 AT a try. Women absolutely love the car.
My woman simply refuses to step into the i20 - she is in love with the Polo.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:36   #225
BHPian

I also bought a 2008 Civic VMT for 10.25 lacs in bangalore in 2009 may. The car had 1600 kms on the odo verified by honda, insurance checked. Considering the fact that the new VMT was 15.50 on road I got asweet deal. The car came with 17 inch lenso and the original rims only. I am attaching a pic of the same. if it is inappropriate please delete
Attached Images

s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote