Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th April 2010, 14:25   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
I do remember a few peculiar things. The windows lock (the lock on the driver's armrest that locks the windows from being rolled up or down) is actually reversed. There is a small red light on it that glows when it is unlocked and vice versa. Is this the case with all Manzas?
This happens in Vista too...
gurudutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 17:43   #62
BHPian

Its a news to me that TATA has given the service interval of 20K for the Manza.

Can't the same intervals be followed for Linea having the same VGT? And I hope it is the mineral oil that is being used in Linea but not the Synthetic one. Can anyone pls confirm this?
Praveen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 19:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen1 View Post
Its a news to me that TATA has given the service interval of 20K for the Manza.

Can't the same intervals be followed for Linea having the same VGT? And I hope it is the mineral oil that is being used in Linea but not the Synthetic one. Can anyone pls confirm this?
From the Linea threads, even the Punto / Linea get Selenia brand synthetic oil.

About the difference in oil change interval, it could be because it is Mobil in Manza Quadrajet, though even Selenia is suggested as an aternative!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 00:49   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Agreed with most of the things you said, would just like to add that engines in India tend to have a hard time because of the lack of good roads, harsh climate, dust etc..
Thanks, Amartya. You know what, vehicles launched in the Indian market are adapted to the local conditions. Even the horn is made stronger for our horn-happy drivers (I have resisted a very tempting suffix to horn there)! And the engine oil grade is also suitably specified to the climatic conditions here. In fact, India provides a range of climatic conditions for all possible categories of lubes - by temperature, altitude, etc. and there are folks out there, in India, who also change their grade of lube as they move around!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The 'feels good to the touch' is a very good test (I believe you also implied the way the oil looked), but one has to know a little bit about cars in order to do so. I trust most bhpians to be able to do that.
Wouldn't count on the last bit there. This is a wonderful forum without a doubt (and I truly respect the efforts of the gent who's primarily responsible for it, with a Pontiacesque handle!!) but we have our fair share of Charlatans also, amongst the members! Have met a few, so I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
+1 to that. feel testing the oil the old way is probably the best test of an oil change.
Yup, you could say that again! Cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

That is what I do in my Marina with its 10000km interval and will do the same for the Manza.
Way to go, Rajesh. Cheers to your miles too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
+1 to Prabal, Amartya and trrk's learned views above, here's my two bits...That's what the Average Joe expects from his car, doesn't he? In view of what all I have stated above, read with what Prabal, Amartya and trrk have to say, 20k kms drain interval for the Manza doesn't seem like too big a deal, does it? P.S. My 150th post is dedicated to Team BHP and all its Average, Below Average, and Above Average Joes!!
Wow, windiesel, you've really said it all. Sorry, I've cut out most of your long post; folks can follow the link and read all the pertinent stuff you've said. I especially liked what you said about the truckers being very serious about maintaining their vehicles in good nick, contrary to the popular (mis)conception. You're obviously not an average Joe when it comes to machines, I can make out (as in deduct, before you start lauding my other abilities!!), however, if I may take the liberty of extrapolating from your handle to Vin Diesel, I guess you've learnt to be free way beyond that quarter-mile!!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 09:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Wow, windiesel, I especially liked what you said about the truckers being very serious about maintaining their vehicles in good nick, contrary to the popular (mis)conception. You're obviously not an average Joe when it comes to machines,
Here's to the first post on T-BHP, to understand which, I had to consult a Dictionary! and had to read it three times to understand all the puns, the hidden meanings and the subtle messages, quite like Harivanshrai Bachhan's Madhushala! Who taught you english, man? Charles Dickens?

Thanks for not calling me an Average Joe! Well, I have had my share of grease smeared Dungarees, hands perennially smeared with engine oil and brake fluid occasionally flying into my face!

Changing the synthetic engine oil at 5000 kms, costing nearly a thousand bucks a litre I guess, is nothing short of a sacrilege and gross misuse of a scarce commodity, thank your stars that Che Guevara is not around! Because one is in love with his machine does not imply that you go around changing a perfectly fine oil at 5k! To take this logic a step further, how about changing the coolant every month, the brake fluid every 10k kms and the transaxle oil every 15k kms?

The manufacturer is in the best position to judge what is right for his machine, if he says 20,000kms better take his word for it and stick to his recommendations.
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 20:40   #66
BHPian

Kingpin1, Whatever happened to the mangalore trip update?
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 22:36   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Kingpin1, Whatever happened to the mangalore trip update?
Yes, man, sorry your thread slipped around a bit on the slimy oil issue. So did you venture into the western ghats after all? How's the Manza in the hills? some guys've been telling me it's a pain, what say you?
Old 9th April 2010, 22:47   #68
BHPian

Congrats on your new Car, Can you please let us know whether have u considered Swift Desire and the reason you find comfortable in Manza when compared to Desire. This will help our team members too..

By the way Pictures of your new car pls..
thelightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 16:01   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Congrats on your new Car, Can you please let us know whether have u considered Swift Desire and the reason you find comfortable in Manza when compared to Desire. This will help our team members too..

Pl. check out this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rch-red-2.html (The Monarchy is here!! Manza Quadarajet Monarch Red!!)

There's a thread on Manza vs Dzire with an online poll going on that you will find very exhaustive. Kindly check it out.
Old 7th May 2010, 08:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Yes, man, sorry your thread slipped around a bit on the slimy oil issue. So did you venture into the western ghats after all? How's the Manza in the hills? some guys've been telling me it's a pain, what say you?
The trip(s) went on as planned and was more or less comfortable but for the pathetic roads.
Car was packed (5 adults plus 3 huge bags in the boot) and with the heat outside there was no way one could enjoy a drive without a/c and it.Jumping straight to the Ghats drive: Most of the slopes were tackled on the 3rd gear, there were instances where the roads were fit only for SUV's and had to stop and look out ..err sorry search for roads. Heart breaking actually considering this was one of the most enjoyable roads in Karnataka until mining lorries decided to kill it. (FE: 16.6 tank full method.) And i did take the Hassan-Sakleshpur-Mangalore route. (355 odd Km).
Bangalore Nelamangala Hassan is probably decent but then the traffic makes it a pain.It is almost snails pace drive till nelamangala and then truckers drive at their own pace in various lanes and ruin the fun.
Also went to a few other places Bangalore- Kochin-Alleppy which for me are one of the best roads in India. NHAI i am a believer!!. Bangalore Coimbatore is almost identical in KM to Bangalore-Mangalore (370 Coimbatore bypass) but i did this trip in less than 6 hours with a 20 min break at salem.Truly a pleasure to drive.Once coimbatore is done then Pallakad Kochin Alleppy the roads are a little narrow but not bad at all. And once you reach Alleppy the God sent house boats and the sea food make the drive heavenly.
(FE:18.3 with 70% ac).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post

Dzire was not considered, The Dzire is a part of the family.My dad owns a White Dzire and from first hand experience can say that the Manza beats it hollow.I think i have spoken about the comparisons at the start of this thread.
If you want a car for City go for the Manza, if you want a car for the Highway go for the Manza. Period!! There is simply no other car that comes close to this in this segment.

Last edited by kingpin1 : 7th May 2010 at 08:41.
kingpin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 18:40   #71
BHPian

Congrats Kingpin1.
Can you tell us how comfortable it is while driving in Bangalore's bumper-to-bumper traffic. Does it pickup easily in 2nd gear from very low speeds (<10kph) or needs upshift to 1st gear often? How light is the clutch?
thank you
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 10:14   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Congrats Kingpin1.
Can you tell us how comfortable it is while driving in Bangalore's bumper-to-bumper traffic. Does it pickup easily in 2nd gear from very low speeds (<10kph) or needs upshift to 1st gear often? How light is the clutch?
thank you
Bangalore Bumper to Bumper traffic is unique specially coz it is not just the bumpers that you will have to focus on there are others like Ricks/2 wheelers who keep switching lanes and what not. ?
Coming back to your q: Does it pick up speed easily from below 10kph..yes it does.
Personally am a DIS focused driver(another word for saying you are mileage conscious) and never rev it beyond 2.5k RPM (2500), however wife who takes the manza to work 4 days a week is a petrol bred rev happy driver and loves driving the manza like it is some sports car.Her style is unique and can be understood only by women heh.
That apart,if the bumper to bumper traffic is letting you reach speeds around (10-15) and above,just up-shift to 3rd and take your foot of the pedal and watch the torque drive her.BTW this was something that was shared partially by fellow tbhpian windisel(if i remember correctly) and my service guy at Concorde diary circle help me understand it and (at the risk of sounding techy) implement it.
Up shifting is something that has helped me immensely in Bangalore city.And when you can report a mileage of 15+ in the city you actually look forward to bumper to bumper traffic well atleast sometimes you do .

PS: Why not try up shifting during your TD?Since you are in BLR, Concorde Diary circle and the traffic around that will be a perfect test case.
Old 8th August 2010, 00:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

best TD route: koramangala sony world, water tank, madiwala, dairy circle, bannerghatta road, jayanagar 9th block, jayanagar 4th block, banashankari and back the same way

this is how TDs must be done, it will also show how much your leg pains and how many shifts you were upto.

besides kingpin why do you feel swift Dzire is any worse than manza since you have both? when you say manza beats it hollow please quantify. its the same engine and we know what else are the differences. so i am a bit confused whats the exact meaning of your statement.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 22:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
best TD route: koramangala sony world, water tank, madiwala, dairy circle, bannerghatta road, jayanagar 9th block, jayanagar 4th block, banashankari and back the same way

this is how TDs must be done, it will also show how much your leg pains and how many shifts you were upto.

besides kingpin why do you feel swift Dzire is any worse than manza since you have both? when you say manza beats it hollow please quantify. its the same engine and we know what else are the differences. so i am a bit confused whats the exact meaning of your statement.
It is sad that your leg hurts maybe you should drive a car which has room for your legs. I drive Banshankari BTM Silk Board Sarjapur Marathalli Whitefield and back 3-4 times a week and have never had any problems.

Dzire is an average car backed by the Maruti Label and unfortunately that makes it a great car for you, for me it does not.!! Lack of leg room,Crazy view from the inside out and am not even getting started about the looks from the outside. Reversing a Dzire is a task which is for the bravehearts, there is definitely a butt stuck to it but the image is hidden from the driver and is always blind when reversing.
It is a Sedan really? Have you tried seating 5 normal sized adults in the Dzire?Lack of leg room is evident it is a swift(hatch) + Boot/Butt ofcourse but lack of shoulder room combined with lack of thigh support makes even a normal 2 hour journey a pain. Dzire is a car that has to be compared to the Indigo eS and not to the Manza Fiesta etc..
I can go on and on,but hey maybe i like comfort at 7 lakhs+ while you might like compromise at this price range. So please who is stopping you.Like the old saying goes "to each his own".
Old 10th August 2010, 09:11   #75
Senior - BHPian

wowow. kingpin1, all my queries to you were in a subdued manner so as not to arouse your anger. i was just looking at some genuine answers from your side as to why you feel manza is better. i just wanted to understand whether it hurt when you drove long distances. perhaps my pitch of the question changed the notion.

i m still contemplating on both buddy. so all your posts here will be read by me till the end i make a decision really.

and we must meet sometime.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote