Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th March 2010, 08:55   #1
BHPian

Default Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!

Let me start the thread with a blast from/to the past.
Dec 09 : Finally decided it was time to take the plunge and go in for a new car.
Primary Reason being Girl recently upped herself from my “girlfriend” of 5 years to now my Wife and thus expanded me "as cheesy as it might sound", from a lonely 1 to a happy 2. And at the back of my mind wanted a car that will force my dad to dump the Dzire and go in for something else.Maybe an Alto heh
Also the loyal red Zen VXI served me well and it was no longer looking forward to the long drives 1.7 lakhs + (the baby was extremely loyal and almost trouble free) apart from the initial fuel pump problems + the crazy turning radius must be close to 6mts .
The Zen is in excellent condition and will serve me again for a few more years and will not be sold, will be used for short trips to the crowded areas of Bangalore wherein I don’t have to think twice before donating some paint to the friendly 2 wheelers and in Bangalore 3 wheeled goons called with lots of love the “rickshaw drivers”.
Moving on, After Td’s,reading reviews, consulting a few car freaks in the family and some more TD’s later finally decided the shortlists. Vehicles that were considered Fiesta,SX4, Punto, I20, Linea, and also a firefox cyclone heh. Also thought of waiting for the POLO. However from the looks of it, maybe it was the Figo that one should watch out for and not the Indianised Polo. However since the options mentioned (Polo figo)more or less were sure to come out only after the budget and keeping an eye on the commodity prices(steel) was pretty sure that the bottom line erosion would sooner or be arrested by the car co's and an upward revision of prices was almost a certainty.
Be that as it may, on to TD’s
Fiesta Sxi: Was a strong favourite.Good all round car. The cash discounts and other such offers (Insurance) turned it into a decent VFM and to me though its handling is over rated, it was amongst the best handlers in this segment. Wonder whether the Japanese/Koreans will ever learn what handling really means. Fiesta has the perfect feel. Just perfect not too light not too heavy, never moves from a light to extra light(dzire,Indigo) it is consistent and feels solid. Shy away from its handling and you begin to notice the lack of head room, FE in city,size,iffy cost of ownership. However the biggest disappointment was almost (Dzire or maybe slightly better) back seat comfort (Maruti is the king when it comes to making you feel like you are sitting in an Indian commode ok maybe not that bad but close), Novelty factor or the lack of, and I just had to move on to something else. I am sorry I am a Fiesta fan but for me a sedan should have average space (atleast), else go for a hatchback why a sedan??No brainer huh?
Punto /I20: There are a couple of Punto’s at work and have driven them around a lot. Like the looks and styling of the car. For me it is the best looking hatchback on roads today. People complain the lack of numbers of the punto to the Interiors. I agree it is not up to the i20 levels but the price is also not close to the I20. Give and take a few things I think it is a decent vehicle. Build quality and (surely) style will beat any of the current hatches hands down, no sweat at all. However was not really interested in a hatch and had to move on.
I20 : Great looking car. Comparable in some aspects to the Italian styled Punto. However the TD vehicle was full of rattles. The noise was coming somewhere from the front (driver side). Close to the front wheel. Possibly the suspension seems to have given up. Sales guy was embarrassed when I asked him about it. He told me this was a problem they have noticed in the cars..!! And that the front struts are the problem. Wonder whether any t-bhpians i20 owners have noticed this?
Anyways I loved the car overall. Even though the performance was a lil shaky it is not a bad car at all. Was out of my list primarily coz the price was a lil too steep. (6.8 ex for the 1.4) With other options to look at this would only be a buy if the others failed to impress me. And as soon as I saw Angelina Jolie look alike I20 was soon forgotten.
Linea : Is Angelina Jolie of the cars. Gorgeous looks.
Looks great in red (maroon), is seductive in white and most men will climax when she is spotted in black. A feeling of god sent luxury is guaranteed with this car. Liked everything about the interiors. Premium feel of the upholstery, impressive A/C, and a neat overall finish. Liked the way it handles the pot holes, however Turbo lag was evident and the gear needed some forearm work before slotting. Steering is more or less perfect. All in all loved the vehicle. And for me it is a decent buy in the upper segment.But apart from the looks Manza has everything the linea has plus TATA’s roomy interiors. And also after GTO’s review had to test out the Manza.
Manza : While the Manza lacked out right looks its exterior fit was more or less comparable to the Linea. For a change this segment finally gets a car which looks like a sedan and not a car which has been through a local 2000 rupee boot job. A lot of people have been speaking about the Interior fit and finish. Frankly expected it to be a total dud fortunately it was not. The fit was on par with other cars in this segment. The goodies though are found only in the Manza and the rest of the car co’s in this segment seem to think that VFM is stripping down a car to bear basics and then selling through brand name. Goodies like Bluenme,Orvm’s, tilt adjustable steering, height adjustable seats, Motorized headlight adjustment, Driver Info System, and a whole host of other features like vanity lights, DIS which has instant FE,rear bench arm rest, keyless entry whew!! Add to that the leg room (both front and back),the Cave that is the boot, and you would have to find reasons not to buy this car.For me this is the only car that can carry 5 people with ease while others (many even in the 10 lakhs) segment struggle. (Some like the Dzire/Ikon will struggle to even carry 4 normal adults with ease).

And there finally I have a car, A car that beats my dads dzire hands down, is classier than my Father in laws Accent haha, so move aside you PSEUDO SEDANS make way for the Royal White beast.

Manza it is!! Booked her on the 23rd of Jan and took delivery on the 23rd of Feb.

Will update further with details on bookings,Insurance,Sales experience,important parameters like FE,niggles,handling and what not.And surely the much awaited first drive report. And also my take on the Manza 980 km and a trip through hell ie the “roads” of the western ghats via Mangalore.

Last edited by kingpin1 : 11th March 2010 at 08:57. Reason: Typos
kingpin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 09:22   #2
BHPian

Pics, Pics, Pics and $$$.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:10   #3
BHPian

Thumbs up

Congratulations kingpin1.
Liked your opening description for Linea.
Do post some pictures of your royal white beast!
aman9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:17   #4
BHPian

Congratulations. A new member to our very own "Manza club". The list just keeps on growing.
rite2shree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Pics, Pics, Pics and $$$.
Will post them as and when i can try and get my wife out of the car.While i am left with the Zen the Manza has almost become my wife's exclusive car. I don't even get to take it to work :( coz she works closer to whitefield while i am forced to be dropped. (sarjapur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
Congratulations kingpin1.
Liked your opening description for Linea.
Do post some pictures of your royal white beast!
I know its been a long time but surely over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rite2shree View Post
Congratulations. A new member to our very own "Manza club". The list just keeps on growing.
Thanks rite2shree, Your own thread helped me a lot. Thanks for that.
And to everyone on T-bhp (future manza owners ) please shoot your q's. Would be happy to help.
kingpin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats dude on the Manza. It looks good in White having spotted one myself.

Please post the pics by the way
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Congrats kingpin1. Appreciate you chose Indian brand over the similar Italian !
Awaiting pics and more information on its drive, handling & utility factor of this baby from Tata.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:56   #8
BHPian

Congrats kingping1 on your ownership.
Very sure the white Manza would look ROYAL on road.

Your post with the frank comparison to others in the segment was very helpful, especially your impression of the Fiesta. Manza over Fiesta must be mind over heart isn't it!!!

Also great to know your wife likes to drive the manza. I always wondered how women will take to this huge car.

Please put in detail your Mangalore trip; and also initial niggles, if any. Hope there are none.

And PICS PLEASE!!!!
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:04   #9
BHPian

The third person referring to the Manza as a beast. btw what's royal about your white beast as compared to windiesel's?
adits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 17:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
Will post them as and when i can try and get my wife out of the car.While i am left with the Zen the Manza has almost become my wife's exclusive car. I don't even get to take it to work
You're not alone, friend. There're plenty more henpecked husbands out there. So relax, rejoice and POST SOME PICS for heaven's sake, lest I should complain to your wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
The third person referring to the Manza as a beast. btw what's royal about your white beast as compared to windiesel's?
It is a beast, albeit a feline and graceful one. It does'nt have in your face butch looks like SX-4, neither does it have a strap on boot job like a Dzire.

Hey kingpin, did you have to pay the 5K extra for white too? which shade is your white?

Last edited by windiesel : 12th March 2010 at 17:08.
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 18:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
You're not alone, friend. There're plenty more henpecked husbands out there. So relax, rejoice and POST SOME PICS for heaven's sake, lest I should complain to your wife!

It is a beast, albeit a feline and graceful one. It does'nt have in your face butch looks like SX-4, neither does it have a strap on boot job like a Dzire.

Hey kingpin, did you have to pay the 5K extra for white too? which shade is your white?
+1 to that. The only thing that scares me is from inside, I still am coming to grips with the 'seemed' external size of the car. i.e. the internal dimensions are so huge that you thing the car is much bigger than it actually is when driving.

I still remember the first time I had to drive it around in traffic, I was cursing any one coming with 2 feet of the car as I thought they are too close when actually they were a decent distance away. What do you think?
Old 13th March 2010, 09:24   #12
BHPian

Default Pictures please

Congrats Kingpin.

Please post pictures i am eagerly waiting to see Manza in white
Akhil@Bengaluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. All the best with your new baby. And also to say ' A good write up'

Its a crime to narrate a new buy, without a pic. PICS PICS PICS PICS Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 12:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Its a crime to narrate a new buy, without a pic. PICS PICS PICS PICS Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 to that
The hunt was nicely penned down. Happy mile crunching with the Manza.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 12:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
Will post them as and when i can try and get my wife out of the car.While i am left with the Zen the Manza has almost become my wife's exclusive car. I don't even get to take it to work :( coz she works closer to whitefield while i am forced to be dropped. (sarjapur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Congrats kingping1 on your ownership.
Also great to know your wife likes to drive the manza. I always wondered how women will take to this huge car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Looks more like kingpin will never get the car. His wife likes it too much..

Having driven the Manza myself, its pretty easy to drive, except for the large size (or maybe its me due to the hatches I have driven) and think it should be for ladies as well.

Last edited by adits : 16th March 2010 at 12:54.