Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th March 2010, 12:21   #16
BHPian

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Congrats civic-sense! 7.6L for a AT civic is a very good deal in Bangalore

check out the stickers @ The Team-BHP Shop
Wow, too many stickers to choose from.

Quote:
H or HONDA decal looks like missing. So please get one soon.
The pics are a bit old. They had replaced it at the 40K service. Rs. 130 + 50 labour.

Quote:
IMO, white alloy might not look good with this color of car. May be a Photo shop with white alloy should give better picture. Any PS experts here!
I was a graphic designer, once upon a time. Time to install photoshop again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Congrats. Your Civic makes sense! I shelled out 16 lacs for a new one . See my garage for some pics.
You car looks beautiful. I like the new front. But not the tail lamp design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Congratulations on the purchase Civic-Sense. Boy, GTO surely seems to have started a revolution of sorts
Well, I bought mine in Dec 09, so I was first.

Quote:
To clean the interiors I will suggest you try getting in touch with the 3M guys.
I have got the interiors of my car cleaned twice by them and they did a splendid job.
They have 2 options, a cheaper one which takes about 4 hours to dry and a foam cleaning which takes an hour to dry and leaves the car smelling fresh too ( i got that done). They charged about 1500 or so for my Ikon.
Sent you a PM. I want their address. 1500 seems to be pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
While browsing through used Civics in Bengaluru, I am seeing that ATs are costing less than MTs! Is the demand for AT cars less in that case? Also indicates that people would want to drive a manual Civic more
Demand for AT has always been low in India. Changing slowly. I made up my mind after I drove an Accord AT in the US for 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@civicsense: Congrats on your buy. The choice of colour is good too. This was the colour my better half wanted but now that it is not being offered, I had to settle down on polished metal. Thats my choice though !
That color was not my first choice. But I like it better than the Silver or the Purple. Anyway, when you are buying used, you cannot be fussy about colors. If there was a better deal in purple, I would have got that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Two quick ones. heard that Honda give only four alloys and not five. Please confirm. Also are they now on the 6/12month cycle (oil change at 10k/12 months) for service or still on the 3/6 month cycle?
In my car, all 5 are alloys. I guess they give only 4 in the post-facelift Civic. About the service, don't know whether something changed lately, but after I did the 40K service in Dec mid, they put a sticker on the windshield that says that the next service is due on March 16. Wow, that is today!

Last edited by civic-sense : 16th March 2010 at 12:26.
civic-sense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 12:41   #17
BHPian

back to back used Civics on TBHP, good going.

Congratulations on your dream car.

Snaps taken at Auto Expo?

Car looks great, just a touch up of scratches needed. Post some interior snaps too.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 13:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Sent you a PM. I want their address. 1500 seems to be pretty reasonable.
Also, I would urge you to go in for their polishing and paint protection treatment. Works like magic and makes your car looks spanking new !

Quote:
Demand for AT has always been low in India. Changing slowly. I made up my mind after I drove an Accord AT in the US for 3 months.
I owned an AT Civic in the US but still felt I needed the MT in India. Have not been able to change my mind yet into buying an AT(in India) still.

Quote:
That color was not my first choice. But I like it better than the Silver or the Purple. Anyway, when you are buying used, you cannot be fussy about colors. If there was a better deal in purple, I would have got that.
Very true. The options are limited and priorities are different when venturing for used cars.

Quote:
In my car, all 5 are alloys. I guess they give only 4 in the post-facelift Civic.
Stingy Honda !
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 13:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Civic-Sense, a pre owned civic is the best bet one can make with that budget. With only 40k on the clock, I believe it has only run one-fifth of its healthy life.

Quote:
Asked the service personnel to check up the history, and he reported a "all clean".
Good that the car is all clean but I believe this should be checked before one buys a pre owned car. Accident repairs, if carried out by a good service station are very difficult to locate. They get the car back almost to its original condition.

Quote:
Stable at high speeds (I tested only upto 125kmph). The Optra used to feel nervous at anything above 100.
It remained stable even at 180kms on stock Good Years. One good part about Civic, which old Hondas lacked.

Quote:
+ Great top range grunt of the engine. I revved to 6000 rpm easily and little noise seeped into the cabin.
The engine is tooo revvvv happy, it doesnt feel stained till you cross 6500 rpm. I just loved revving it!

Quote:
Springy rear suspension. The underbelly scrapes a lot of bumps in Bangalore with two people in the rear.
cant help it, stiffer rear suspention on the facelifted civic does the job better.

Quote:
Seats were not very comfortable compared to my previous car (Optra)
Extra lumbar support is the reason. The lower half of your back completely rests on it, where as the upper half feels the need to recline more to find the support. But its extremely good for people with back problems!

Quote:
Very short service intervals. You have to visit them every three months or 5000km, whichever comes earlier. Ridiculous, I should say. My Optra didn't visit the ASC for one whole year.
Since your car is not under warranty, I would suggest you stick to 10k kms or one year as a service interval. The service station does nothing at 5k kms, will just chk the oil levels and top them up if required, may or may not clean the air filter (its up to them), wash your car and charge you for it.

Quote:
Road noise is there and is audible inside the cabin. Need a tyre change, but the current ones have almost 1/3rd tread still left in it. Yes, even after 40K kms.
1/3 rd tyre tread left after 40k kms, you know that the car was not ripped .

Quote:
Since the seat fabric is soiled, I am thinking of getting leather seats done. I am not in a hurry, anyway.
Drycleaning the seats should do the job. However, it cannot meet the likes of leather, if you are keen on it.

Lastly I believe gun metal alloys will look good on your car.

Wish you all the best

take care and drive safe!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th March 2010 at 13:22.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 14:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats civic-sense, on getting an excellent car and an even sweeter deal! Very good price for an AT.

What is missing/different in the "S" variant as compared to the "V" one?
Fog lamps, leather upholstery, rear seat audio controls, chrome door trim (?)... what else?
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 14:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Steering wheel has a reluctance to come back to the neutral position when the car is at low speeds. You have to do the last bit yourselves.
ANHC steering has such behaviour but I thought it is specific to the EPS Honda uses in the City.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 16:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
heard that Honda give only four alloys and not five. Please confirm. Also are they now on the 6/12month cycle (oil change at 10k/12 months) for service or still on the 3/6 month cycle?
Mine came with 5 alloys feb 08 model.
Also the oil change interval is changing because honda is pushing for synthetic oil. One of my friends car at 40K service (NHC) they replaced from min to synthetic without asking.
lalitk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 16:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two quick ones. heard that Honda give only four alloys and not five. Please confirm. Also are they now on the 6/12month cycle (oil change at 10k/12 months) for service or still on the 3/6 month cycle?
My new Civic comes with 4 alloys and one steel of same size. First service is at 1000km/1 month and the regular service cycle is 5000 kms/6 months and oil change at 10k/12m. I dont think they have ever been at 3/6 months cycle before.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 16:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Congrats civic-sense, on getting an excellent car and an even sweeter deal! Very good price for an AT.

Fog lamps, leather upholstery, rear seat audio controls, chrome door trim (?)... what else?
I think rear audio controls are there in both models. For the facelifted Civic the above plus cruise control and ORVM indicators. CC is a new addition in face-lifted "V" model along with USB and average FE indicator for both trims.
Old 16th March 2010, 18:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
Congrats civic-sense. You have literally robbed the previous owner.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Congratulations on your dream car.

Snaps taken at Auto Expo?

Car looks great, just a touch up of scratches needed. Post some interior snaps too.
Were taken at Bangalore Palace. Was there to see the Harleys in action on Harley Davidson Founder's Day.

I would have to click some interior pics. Would do that shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Also, I would urge you to go in for their polishing and paint protection treatment. Works like magic and makes your car looks spanking new !
I think it really needs one. The car was parked in a semi closed parking, so it looks a bit dull now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Congratulations Civic-Sense, a pre owned civic is the best bet one can make with that budget. With only 40k on the clock, I believe it has only run one-fifth of its healthy life.
You bet. The Accord that I bought when in the US was a 99 make, run 1.2L miles. That is close to 2L kms. But it was still in top form, and am sure it could run for another 1L miles without any problem. Although it is not right to compare a cars run in USA and India, that got me thinking about the longevity of a Honda. My heart is there with the Europeans, but now a Honda makes better sense for me.
Quote:
Good that the car is all clean but I believe this should be checked before one buys a pre owned car. Accident repairs, if carried out by a good service station are very difficult to locate. They get the car back almost to its original condition.
There is always a risk buying a used car, and that is why they come cheap. Actually, paint works done can be detected when viewed under flourescent light. Sunlight actually hides them.
Quote:
cant help it, stiffer rear suspention on the facelifted civic does the job better.
I am eager to see what GTO is going to do with the rear suspension.
Quote:
Extra lumbar support is the reason. The lower half of your back completely rests on it, where as the upper half feels the need to recline more to find the support. But its extremely good for people with back problems!
Don't like the headrests too. It is tilted towards the front. Provides little support to the back of your head.
Quote:
Since your car is not under warranty, I would suggest you stick to 10k kms or one year as a service interval. The service station does nothing at 5k kms, will just chk the oil levels and top them up if required, may or may not clean the air filter (its up to them), wash your car and charge you for it.
I think that makes sense. Modern cars need not have such short service intervals.
Quote:
Drycleaning the seats should do the job. However, it cannot meet the likes of leather, if you are keen on it.
I am not a great fan of leather. But the fabric used on the Civic looks a bit gaudy to me.
Quote:
Lastly I believe gun metal alloys will look good on your car.
I think, I concur with your thought.
Quote:
Wish you all the best
take care and drive safe!
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Thanks.
Quote:
I am not too sure, but fogs, leather and OVRM with turn indicator, are what I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
ANHC steering has such behaviour but I thought it is specific to the EPS Honda uses in the City.
I think it is a case of wear. Service center says, it is normal with all Civics. Can somebody here confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
One of my friends car at 40K service (NHC) they replaced from min to synthetic without asking.
I don't think, it is a Honda policy. Some ASCs ask, while some don't. When I did the 40K service, I told them not to put synthetic.
Quote:
First service is at 1000km/1 month and the regular service cycle is 5000 kms/6 months and oil change at 10k/12m. I dont think they have ever been at 3/6 months cycle before.
Well, probably they changed it for the facelift Civics.
Quote:
I think rear audio controls are there in both models. For the facelifted Civic the above plus cruise control and ORVM indicators. CC is a new addition in face-lifted "V" model along with USB and average FE indicator for both trims.
You are right.

Last edited by civic-sense : 16th March 2010 at 18:59.
Old 16th March 2010, 21:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
My new Civic comes with 4 alloys and one steel of same size. First service is at 1000km/1 month and the regular service cycle is 5000 kms/6 months and oil change at 10k/12m. I dont think they have ever been at 3/6 months cycle before.
I think I second this... May be the 5k and 3 months is for city but surely not for civic. In case of Civic 5k is only routine checkup and nothing else. Oil change is only at 10K

Last edited by lalitk25 : 16th March 2010 at 21:28.
Old 16th March 2010, 21:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
I don't think, it is a Honda policy. Some ASCs ask, while some don't. When I did the 40K service, I told them not to put synthetic.
I am not saying they have a policy for this but they are pushing this. Not sure why may be margine on synthetic is on higher side for them... Just a thought.

Last edited by lalitk25 : 16th March 2010 at 21:27.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Now the typical Indian question "what is the FE you are getting" for Civic AT. I know one of our college who gets around 12 KMPL in Bangalore! How about yours?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 13:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the typical Indian question "what is the FE you are getting" for Civic AT. I know one of our college who gets around 12 KMPL in Bangalore! How about yours?
My car gives me about 9.8 kmpl so far in 100% city driving. planning for a long trip this weekend. Will update on highway FE.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I think I second this... May be the 5k and 3 months is for city but surely not for civic. In case of Civic 5k is only routine checkup and nothing else. Oil change is only at 10K
Hmm, I'd better check again with Dakshin. Anyways, I am noway going to do a 3 month service.
Quote:
I am not saying they have a policy for this but they are pushing this. Not sure why may be margine on synthetic is on higher side for them... Just a thought.
I see your point. Higher profit for them for sure. Higher price, higher profit, even if the margin % is teh same.
Quote:
Quote:
My car gives me about 9.8 kmpl so far in 100% city driving. planning for a long trip this weekend. Will update on highway FE.
Well, 8 was the worst I got, when I filled up from the BP in Ecity. All my other fillings were from Shell, and I got 8.5 to 9 and once a 10 when I filled Shell Super.

BTW, half of my driving (commute) involves 3km X 2 every day. That means, by the time the engine has reached the optimum temperature, I'd have reached home/office. The other half is on Hosur road (and lately on the expressway. There, I rip. 5 mins to cover ~10 kms.