Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th March 2011, 11:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT

Congrats zen, me too just completed one year. That side step garnish looks great even thought it is atrociously priced for its utility value. I've also just completed 10,000 kms and as of now it stands at 10,021. Planning for a couple of long trips to my home town during the summer vacation.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 18:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
hi,
@ 3000 kms for 1 year i think you should use the car more often.At the current mileage it seems to have just completed the running in.Maybe you could plan some long distance trips.It always fun to drive the car on higways rather than the short trips here and there
Agree with you. However, the fact is that my daily travel to work (both ways) is only 15km and I don't get to go out much on weekends (thanks to my family with a 9 month old as well). Having said that, 2.5K out of 3K that I have done on the car is only on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
rr_zen,
Congratulations on the first anniversary (well almost a year in few days)
Did you do any service at Olympia on this milestone?
If so please provide the details.
As pointed out by others take your dream machine to the highways for the holidays.
Earlier I thought I might compete, but you are the winner hands down as I have done 2,200 in 6 months
The door lights look wonderful and the zero light photography is excellent too.
You could have probably gone for this in the first place itself.
Take it easy on your Esteem and use the Civic, your use should at least justify the depreciating value of the car, just my opinion.

HC
Thanks. Yeah, I need to clock more kms for sure. In fact, I use the Civic more than the Esteem for my daily commute to work. It is just that the mileage gets distributed between my two cars and my bike which I use sometimes.

I got a call from Olympia Honda for the 20k service (1 year) and I was sceptical of going in for it due to my mileage. When I had been to get the side step garnish installed, I checked with the SA on this and he has asked me to come back once I touch 5k. So no service till then.

You are right on the OE garnish and I should have opted for it in the first place. The only reason (like I mentioned earlier) for me to go in for the after market one earlier was the illumination on all four doors as opposed to two on the OE. Anyways, better late than never. The photograph should have ideally been better had I taken it on my camera. This was from my 5.1mp cell phone camera with Carl Zeiss lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Congrats zen, me too just completed one year. That side step garnish looks great even thought it is atrociously priced for its utility value. I've also just completed 10,000 kms and as of now it stands at 10,021. Planning for a couple of long trips to my home town during the summer vacation.
Thanks vasoo. The price is quite steep no doubt but I was impressed with the quality of the product and the attention to detail w.r.t wiring etc that came with it. Digested the price as it is a one time expense.

Good that you have put in more than 3 times of what I have in 1 year's time. What is the fuel efficiency that the car returns now ?

Last edited by rr_zen : 11th March 2011 at 18:46.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 19:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Good that you have put in more than 3 times of what I have in 1 year's time. What is the fuel efficiency that the car returns now ?
FE is largely between 10 and 11 for city drives, which I rarely do these days and about 13-15 for highway drives depending upon the levels of aggression! Most of my city drives are now done using my Santro with Civic almost exclusively for long trips typically anything more than 50 kms.

Hope you renewed the insurance as well. I got it done for 17.5k from Tata AIG.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 10:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FE is largely between 10 and 11 for city drives, which I rarely do these days and about 13-15 for highway drives depending upon the levels of aggression! Most of my city drives are now done using my Santro with Civic almost exclusively for long trips typically anything more than 50 kms.
I agree the Civic is not a great car for the city esp in b2b traffic. In my case its the Esteem doing duty inside the city.

Quote:
Hope you renewed the insurance as well. I got it done for 17.5k from Tata AIG.
I went with TATA AIG as well for my renewal. I opted for the bumper to bumper cover and ended up coughing up 24K. Which type of policy did you go in for?
Old 14th March 2011, 16:48   #65
Team-BHP Support

Congrats for completing a year with your Civic and as all said your not treating her well enough considering you just completed 3000kms. Instead of the side board illuminator, you should have gifted it a "Long Drive"

Btw, This is another classic example of atrocious pricing from Honda. The same type of illuminator is available for Cruze at Rs.6500.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 17:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats for completing a year with your Civic and as all said your not treating her well enough considering you just completed 3000kms. Instead of the side board illuminator, you should have gifted it a "Long Drive"

Btw, This is another classic example of atrocious pricing from Honda. The same type of illuminator is available for Cruze at Rs.6500.
I just gifted her a long drive last week covering Pondy etc, clocking an overall of 350+ kms. Somehow I am not too comfortable exposing her to the harshness of the city

I agree with you on the pricing but I guess when one buys a Honda(by paying a premium), he ought to be prepared for this as well.

Last edited by rr_zen : 14th March 2011 at 17:46.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just gifted her a long drive last week covering Pondy etc, clocking an overall of 350+ kms. Somehow I am not too comfortable exposing her to the harshness of the city

I agree with you on the pricing but I guess when one buys a Honda(by paying a premium), he ought to be prepared for this as well.
Congrats for completing one year on your metallic beauty.

Take her out often and let her stretch the legs a bit on highways!

Honda's pricing is really atrocious, to be honest. Recently, I bought car cover for my Civic and it costed me a whopping INR 4400 from Honda. IIRC, our Scorpio's car cover was for INR 1200.
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 22:16   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Recently, I bought car cover for my Civic and it costed me a whopping INR 4400 from Honda. IIRC, our Scorpio's car cover was for INR 1200.
This is rather strange, as I bought got a body cover for ANHC from the dealer and the price was INR 1,500

HC
Habanero City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 12:54   #69
BHPian

Congratulations on completing one year of ownership!
You have company when it comes to low mileage, my Civic (used) has clocked barely 3.5K KMS in 9 months that I've had her.

Could not agree more when it comes to Honda's OTT pricing. I wanted to get fog lamps fitted to my S-MT and was totally put off when Honda quoted 21K for a set.

I too am looking for a car cover for my car as I'm not happy with the one that I have now. Trying to source it from the after market. Looking for one that has 'ears' for the wing mirrors.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 12:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Congrats for completing one year on your metallic beauty.

Take her out often and let her stretch the legs a bit on highways!

Honda's pricing is really atrocious, to be honest. Recently, I bought car cover for my Civic and it costed me a whopping INR 4400 from Honda. IIRC, our Scorpio's car cover was for INR 1200.
Thats strange. I bought mine from the Honda dealer for about 1.5K only at the time of buying the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Congratulations on completing one year of ownership!
You have company when it comes to low mileage, my Civic (used) has clocked barely 3.5K KMS in 9 months that I've had her.

Could not agree more when it comes to Honda's OTT pricing. I wanted to get fog lamps fitted to my S-MT and was totally put off when Honda quoted 21K for a set.

I too am looking for a car cover for my car as I'm not happy with the one that I have now. Trying to source it from the after market. Looking for one that has 'ears' for the wing mirrors.
Thanks for the wishes. Try the genuine OE cover from Honda. IMO, it has been good and I have no qualms thus far. And yes, it does have the 'ears' for the ORVMs as well.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:43   #71
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congrats rr_zen and Vasoo too. Civic is one car that one can grow old with! This is exactly the thought that was flowing through my mind today at the 3M shop when four grease monkeys were detailing the interior.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 15:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Default Another long trip and suspension woes !

So it was the Civic's turn to do some hill driving. Off I went with my family to Tirupati last weekend. The total distance covered was circa 340 kms. Following are my observations after the trip:

1. As the title pre-empts, the suspension was one of the major let downs during the journey. I almost scraped 5 to 6 speed breakers and I cant imagine how low the car should be for scraping when crawling over them at < 5kmph. It was quite embarrasing with the scraping noise everytime that I had to slow down to a complete halt to go over a speed-breaker (as if I was crossing a hurdle). Also, by doing so (on the main roads/highways ), I fear the possibility of being rear-ended by the vehicle behind me. Disclaimer: There were four adults, two children < 5yrs and very minimal luggage in the trunk.

2. There is indeed a significant impact on power and pull with two people at the back. (Usually, I travel alone or at best with my wife and kids.)

3. The FE dropped significantly after the ghat section driving. (13.1kmpl vs 16kmpl prior to it)

With an overdose of scraping bumps, I am actually wondering if there was a suspension upgrade at all in the facelift version. Koni FSDs seem to be top priority for me now in the long run.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Another long trip and suspension woes !

Quote:
So it was the Civic's turn to do some hill driving. Off I went with my family to Tirupati last weekend. The total distance covered was circa 340 kms.
I'm guessing the scrapes were all on the Kolar - Mulbagal - Palmaner stretch. There are quite a few bumpers before and after villages on that stretch, and of course a few between Palmaner and Putalapattu as well.

I didn't have any problem with scrapes in my visit to TTD late last year. I approached Tirupati from Renigunta said (coming as I was from Hyd).

While going up the ghat, there were six adults in the car (in-laws, dad's brother and his acquaintance, wife and I) with the trunk absolutely jam-packed with luggage and the car never let us down in terms of power. However, I agree with you in that there's a noticeable difference in pick-up/roll-ons when there are only 2 people in the car vs. when it's fully loaded. I didn't really check mileage figures. Also, it didn't scrape anywhere on the Tirupati-Alipiri stretch (there are a few gentle bumpers) and near the security gates.

Did you take those bumpers at an angle? On rare occasions even that doesn't work. Recently I had a scrape at 1 kmph (came to a complete stop and then started) over a mountain near a railway crossing, even after taking it at an angle. This was with only two people (wife and I) and some luggage.

By the way, are the figures of 13.1 and 16 as quoted by the trip meters? I find they overstate the true mileage by 2 kmpl (in my case). Even with only 2 people in the car and on a smooth highway (NH7), I've never obtained more than 14 kmpl true with AC on all the time. And mine's an M/T. In the city I get anywhere between 9.5 and 11.4 (100% AC) depending on how I drive, how many people there are in the car and prevailing traffic conditions, so I know that the highway mileage of 14 (almost best case for me) is not due to any defect with the car.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 10th May 2011 at 15:19.
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 15:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Another long trip and suspension woes !

Quote:
I almost scraped 5 to 6 speed breakers and I cant imagine how low the car should be for scraping when crawling over them at < 5kmph. It was quite embarrasing with the scraping noise everytime that I had to slow down to a complete halt to go over a speed-breake
All that for the name of upgraded suspension in facelifted Civic! Sorry to hear your experience, rr_zen!

Quote:
2. There is indeed a significant impact on power and pull with two people at the back. (Usually, I travel alone or at best with my wife and kids.)
Thats inevitable, but did the car feel underpowered in inclines and hill sections? I have driven my car with 5 adults + fully loaded boot and the car's performance was pretty much similar, it was easily getting into 170-180 kmph territory! Braking, however, wasn't that satisfactory with so much load at such speeds!

Quote:
3. The FE dropped significantly after the ghat section driving. (13.1kmpl vs 16kmpl prior to it)
Again, seems like short gear driving at inclines was taking its toll on FE!

Quote:
Koni FSDs seem to be top priority for me now in the long run.
It is in my high priorities too, once I arrange some Vitamin M!

I am planning a trip to Mussoorie soon, will also report my experience with hilly areas! Watch out for that!
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 15:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I'm guessing the scrapes were all on the Kolar - Mulbagal - Palmaner stretch. There are quite a few bumpers before and after villages on that stretch, and of course a few between Palmaner and Putalapattu as well.

I didn't have any problem with scrapes in my visit to TTD late last year. I approached Tirupati from Renigunta said (coming as I was from Hyd).

While going up the ghat, there were six adults in the car (in-laws, dad's brother and his acquaintance, wife and I) with the trunk absolutely jam-packed with luggage and the car never let us down in terms of power. However, I agree with you in that there's a noticeable difference in pick-up/roll-ons when there are only 2 people in the car vs. when it's fully loaded. I didn't really check mileage figures. Also, it didn't scrape anywhere on the Tirupati-Alipiri stretch (there are a few gentle bumpers) and near the security gates.

Did you take those bumpers at an angle? On rare occasions even that doesn't work. Recently I had a scrape at 1 kmph (came to a complete stop and then started) over a mountain near a railway crossing, even after taking it at an angle. This was with only two people (wife and I) and some luggage.

By the way, are the figures of 13.1 and 16 as quoted by the trip meters? I find they overstate the true mileage by 2 kmpl (in my case). Even with only 2 people in the car and on a smooth highway (NH7), I've never obtained more than 14 kmpl true with AC on all the time. And mine's an M/T. In the city I get anywhere between 9.5 and 11.4 (100% AC) depending on how I drive, how many people there are in the car and prevailing traffic conditions, so I know that the highway mileage of 14 (almost best case for me) is not due to any defect with the car.

Regards,
spadix
I did not scrape any bumps on the Alipiri stretch but more on the Chennai - Tirupati stretch. Twice I scraped while at Tirumala and the bumps were real bad that even my Esteem would have scraped them.

I tried taking few of the bumps at an angle but couldnt as there was heavy traffic behind. But from what your experience has been with 6 adults and fully loaded luggage, mine has been bad with 4 adults and very little luggage. The thought now occurs if I should take my car to the A.S.S for a check up on the suspension.

Mine's an MT as well and the figures are from the MID. Will get the know the actuals this weekend when I replenish the tank. I know for sure it will be at least a kmpl less. But I have managed more than 15 kmpl (manual calculation and not from MID) on my trip to Pondy and back.

Last edited by rr_zen : 10th May 2011 at 15:27.