Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th March 2016, 19:44   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Hi rr_zen,

I have just bought a pre owned 2010 Civic V MT (36K kms). Even I face the same jerk in first gear below 10kmph. When there is no Accelerator input given, the car just stalls. Has your issue been resolved?
Hi petroguzzler - I havent had the issue of gear jerk at slow speeds. What I was referring to in my case was the 'kat-kat' noise I hear when turning the wheels at very low speeds. The problem while not a show-stopper, still persists and I have given up on HASS to resolve it for me.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 14:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

Default 20000 KMS and 6 years up !

My dream machine is turning 6 next week and still drives like a dream. I still can’t imagine 6 years have gone by and it feels just like yesterday as I recollect fond memories of taking delivery of the car. The car still runs like new and I can sense no feeling of ageing in it. While the miles crunched so far may not match its age I can say I have thoroughly enjoyed every km clocked till date and still going strong.

I had a tough time saving her from the Chennai floods last December and she was put in cold storage for almost 2 months. A good neighbor of mine was generous enough to allow me to park the Civic in his apartment (which was at a good 4-5 feet above the road level) while my humble Esteem and the A-Star took refuge in my kids' school campus that was relatively dry.

Issues: Hardly any I would have faced. This is one fine piece of machinery and is completely stock and I intend to keep it that way.

Additions: OE Modulo spoiler; 5th alloy for spare tire

Average FE till date: 12.7 kmpl with 90% city and 10% highway driving. For more than a year I have been using Shell regular unleaded petrol and that makes a difference.

Niggles:

Clutch has become harder over the years and needs attention. The other issue HASS has not been able to solve is the kat-kat noise while turning the steering at low speeds. They had replaced the strut bearing twice but the issue persists. Time to take it to an FNG, possibly IGNITE.

Given the usage pattern, I give the car for service once a year which includes the engine oil change. The only other time I visited HASS last year was to get the driver side airbag inflator replaced under the recall program.

Concerns:

1. The tires are 2009 manufactured Michelin PLCs which I changed at 90 kms. They have been very comfortable till date I have not had even a single puncture in the last 20000 kms. However, I am worried about their efficiency going forward given that they are almost 7 years old now. Michelin recommends a comprehensive annual check after 5 yrs of tire life and a maximum of 10 years tire life irrespective of the usage. Externally, my tires appear normal and still have good tread depth in them.Will have to take a call on retaining/replacing them sooner or later.

2. I am one person that doesn't wish to change cars every couple of years. This is not linked to my low usage levels but more to the sentiments I have for my vehicles. As a matter of fact, my Esteem will turn 13 this October and my Unicorn turned 11 day before yesterday. With the government seeming to come up with blanket proposals on scrapping of ageing cars in the name of curtailing pollution levels, I don't want to be in a situation to let go of my vehicles which are still in pristine order despite their age. Hope sense will prevail upon the concerned authorities to come up with a better idea to address the emission issues.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-20160302_102145.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-20150621_134325.jpg  

rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 20:45   #108
BHPian

Hi rr_zen.
Thanks for the response and update.
What parts were replaced during the driver side airbag inflator replacement?
Was the steering wheel replaced?
petroguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 22:04   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Driver side airbag inflator is stored in the steering boss, under the horn switch button which can be dismantled to replace the inflator. No need to replace the entire steering.
Reg parts, apart from the inflator unit just a connector cable would be replaced.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 19:32   #110
BHPian

Post Re: 20000 KMS and 6 years up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Given the usage pattern, I give the car for service once a year which includes the engine oil change.
Glad to hear it! Since Honda recommends oil change every six months, even if low running, I have been faithfully doing it for 8 years. Now I too want to switch to once-a-year.

Can you confirm if this does not damage the car? Since oil sitting idle in the car even if unused can lose its life over time?

(I have also posted this question on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3930836 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos))
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 21:55   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manim,

Oil once exposed to heat and other mechanical degradation like that inside of the engine does and will degrade with time even if the car is sitting idle. However, by no means it will degrade as much so as to cause a damage to the engine in 6 months. You can easily extend that to 1year or a little more, esp if it's synthetic, if you don't go the distance.

Regards
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 12:14   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Glad to hear it! Since Honda recommends oil change every six months, even if low running, I have been faithfully doing it for 8 years. Now I too want to switch to once-a-year.

Can you confirm if this does not damage the car? Since oil sitting idle in the car even if unused can lose its life over time?

(I have also posted this question on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3930836 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos))
I switched over to fully synthetic oil about 3 years ago. Initially it was Mobil1 and then the last 2 oil changes were the HASS supplied Idemitsu 0W30 which is not available in Mobil1. I guess with my kind of running and an annual synthetic oil change, the car is perfectly fine. No hassles whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Hi rr_zen.
Thanks for the response and update.
What parts were replaced during the driver side airbag inflator replacement?
Was the steering wheel replaced?
As pointed out by Saket77, only the driver side airbag inflator was replaced. The steering wheel is still the same and there is no need to change that when going in for the airbag replacement.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th March 2016 at 12:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

Default Annual Service at 23000 km

The Civic completed 6 years of service this March and was due for its annual service in June. After having met Raghav at 'Ignite' a few months ago, was inclined to give it there this time. However, since my car was part of the passenger side airbag inflator replacement recall program I decided to get the annual service done there this time.

The car's odo was nearing 23K km and I had covered more than 5K during the last one year. This includes the 2 month cold storage she was in due to the Chennai floods last year.

Gave the car for service last Saturday and picked it up the same day.

Activities carried out:

1. Passenger side airbag inflator replaced as part of recall. While this is not chargeable, I saw that the cost of the unit was about 4.5K INR.

2. Engine oil & filter change - 0W30 fully synthetic oil, as usual.

3. AC vent cleaning - While I was not fully convinced with this one since I have done it earlier, thought of going in for it since it works out to 450 INR and does help in avoiding stale smell from the vents.

4. Aluminium coating for the exhaust pipe - The SA said since my car was already over 6 years it was better to have this coating applied to avoid any corrosion. Costed 1.2K INR. Bit the bullet since I thought it was a reasonable thing to do. Attaching pics of the same below.

5. I was asked to change the wiper blades which I suggested be parked for later.

6. The next thing to come my way was windshield polishing since there were wiper blade marks and the cost for this was quoted at 2K INR. Needless to say, I flatly refused it. Wheel alignment & balancing went the same way

7. Upon taking delivery the SA notified me of a mild noise observed from the idler bearing and said that it may have to be replaced in future. Estimated cost 6.5K INR. Has anyone faced this issue with the Civic and if so what was the cost incurred ?

The car is a lot smoother than before thanks to the oil change and the clutch pedal spring lubrication. Total cost of the service came to 7387 INR. Hopefully, the next service is done at 'Ignite'.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-20160731_115814.jpg  

My 'Dream Machine' is home - Honda Civic V MT-20160731_115951.jpg  

rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote