Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st May 2010, 12:34   #376
BHPian

Default Figo version choice

Hi Joe, Congrats on your new car; loved the excellent review of the Figo; glued to it...

After comparing the B+ segment cars (incl Polo, i20), I have booked the Figo Diesel on the 29th of May. I took a few days more mainly to choose the best suited version. I have booked the Exi version; my reasons as below:
1. On road Bangalore prices are 35000 Rs more than Chennai prices. We Indians generally tend to compare; so its a genes problem.
2. What the Exi has - a/c, power windows on the front, music system, central locking with remote, full caps for the wheels and other basic goodies. What it doesnt have (rather what the Zxi and Titanium has)- chrome finish at various places, optional coral red dashboard (which Im not a great fan of), cell phone integrated system, rear wiper, ABS, Air bags, defogger and a few insignificant stuffs.
3. Among the above, I miss the rear wiper which is available in the Zxi. The cost difference is - 5.72 for Exi, 6.05 for Zxi and 6.4 for the Titanium. So 35K for that single useful feature didnt make sense. I would rather rub a half cut potato on rainy days on the rear glass area to save 35000 Rs.
4. Considering this, I went ahead for the Exi; though I would got the Zxi in my home town - Chennai for the same price
5. Should get it in 6 to 8 weeks.

I need some help on the following areas:
1. Ford claims a lower maintenance cost compared to i10 and swift. I beg to differ on this point. Has anyone done frequently used parts cost/ labour cost comparison?
2. How are the stock tyres on highways?
3. Which set of alloys (make and size) would fit in the spare wheel area? Planning to change all 5...
4. Planning to get a reverse sensor (not the cctv stuff, but the sonar sensor). Which should I go in for?
5. There is corporate discount - 3rd year warranty. Is there any other offer/ discount that is offered for the Figo?
harishF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:26   #377
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
3. Among the above, I miss the rear wiper which is available in the Zxi.
Rains are just starting in our area.

In any decent rain, the door mirrors are rendered useless due to water drops both on the mirror and the side window. The only relief is the inside rear view mirror and you will really miss that wiper.

Better keep a stock of potatoes ready!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 01:20   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
Rains are just starting in our area.

In any decent rain, the door mirrors are rendered useless due to water drops both on the mirror and the side window. The only relief is the inside rear view mirror and you will really miss that wiper.

Better keep a stock of potatoes ready!
Don't say that! I've booked an Exi diesel too. You're scaring me bro.

Actually i did ask the SE if it was possible to retro-fit the rear wiper on the Exi but apparently there isn't any provision.
commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:15   #379
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Don't say that! I've booked an Exi diesel too. You're scaring me bro.
I just put in my experience. I happened to drive in rain in two different days and the results were the same, both during the day time. No rain driving at night yet.
Old 1st June 2010, 22:07   #380
Senior - BHPian

Yeah the wiper is a must have on small hatches. I miss my rear wiper. :(

I think i miss the defogger even more. Even a slight drizzle causes the a/c to fog the rear windscreen. And its impossible to make out what is behind you.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 23:14   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,I just put in my experience. I happened to drive in rain in two different days and the results were the same, both during the day time. No rain driving at night yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Yeah the wiper is a must have on small hatches. I miss my rear wiper. :( I think i miss the defogger even more. Even a slight drizzle causes the a/c to fog the rear windscreen. And its impossible to make out what is behind you.
Hmmm .. judging by your statements it does seem like its going to be a bit of a problem with regards to rear visibility in the rains esp. since i'm from Goa where we have one heck of a monsoon. Anyone know if at least the rear defogger can be retro-fitted on the Exi Figo?
commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 23:44   #382
BHPian

Hey Harish,
I booked a figo 1.2 zxi for my father-in-law.the diff between zxi and exi in kol is only 18k,so considering all the xtra features in the zxi like body colored bumpers,door mirrors,rear wiper,defogger opted for the zxi.chose the squeeze color :-)
joy_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 06:54   #383
BHPian

Thanks Harish and congrats.

Quote:
Hi Joe, Congrats on your new car; loved the excellent review of the Figo; glued to it...

After comparing the B+ segment cars (incl Polo, i20), I have booked the Figo Diesel on the 29th of May.

Quote:
I need some help on the following areas:
1. Ford claims a lower maintenance cost compared to i10 and swift. I beg to differ on this point. Has anyone done frequently used parts cost/ labour cost comparison?
I think it's too early to say. Ford has reduced the part costs for sure.

Quote:
2. How are the stock tyres on highways?
I didn't use the stock tires much. I drove it only a few kilometers. They should be adequate as long as it's not raining.

Quote:
3. Which set of alloys (make and size) would fit in the spare wheel area? Planning to change all 5...
The Figo's spare wheel area is fairly large and shouldn't have any problem with alloys. I got only 4 alloys.

Quote:
4. Planning to get a reverse sensor (not the cctv stuff, but the sonar sensor). Which should I go in for?
5. There is corporate discount - 3rd year warranty. Is there any other offer/ discount that is offered for the Figo?
I have no idea about this.
joethomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:19   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Hey Harish,
I booked a figo 1.2 zxi for my father-in-law.the diff between zxi and exi in kol is only 18k,so considering all the xtra features in the zxi like body colored bumpers,door mirrors,rear wiper,defogger opted for the zxi.chose the squeeze color :-)
Dude... amazing to know such a trivial difference between the 2 models. Congrats!!! I thought its the father in law who books cars for their son in laws... Good gesture!!!

I am also getting body coloured bumpers. I chose the sea grey, so can I call it door handle/ ORVM coloured body?? I guess the colour more or less matches so I am not too bothered about it. The chrome finish can also be lived without. Not sure how much I would miss the rear wiper; on the other hand my earlier cars didnt have that, and I also dont find that feature in most sedans (does any sedan have this?? rear defogger, even my earlier Esteem Vxi had and I hadnt used it much). Not sure about the reason though...

Last edited by harishF1 : 2nd June 2010 at 10:21.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:33   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Thanks Harish and congrats.

I think it's too early to say. Ford has reduced the part costs for sure.

I didn't use the stock tires much. I drove it only a few kilometers. They should be adequate as long as it's not raining.

The Figo's spare wheel area is fairly large and shouldn't have any problem with alloys. I got only 4 alloys.

I have no idea about this.
I only hope that the car is on par or max 10% more than the Swift to maintain. Time will tell. I checked locally on the reverse sensor and I guess Xenos is about Rs.2700 including fitting charges.

Ford dealer mentioned that the Exi nowadays does not come with the rear parcel tray (though the brochure mentions it as part of the standard equipment). Anyone has any idea on this??
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:03   #386
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I think i miss the defogger even more. Even a slight drizzle causes the a/c to fog the rear windscreen. And its impossible to make out what is behind you.
Would you believe that I have never used the rear defogger?

Basically the AC by itself should prevent fogging from inside. You can get fogging on the outside if the inside temperature is cooler than the outside. You can prevent this by adjusting the temperature control knob.

I do miss the rear wiper in the Marina, but then the outside rear view mirrors are quite usable even in moderate rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Anyone know if at least the rear defogger can be retro-fitted on the Exi Figo?
Going to be tough, if it is possible.

Quote:
Not sure how much I would miss the rear wiper; on the other hand my earlier cars didnt have that, and I also dont find that feature in most sedans (does any sedan have this?? rear defogger, even my earlier Esteem Vxi had and I hadnt used it much). Not sure about the reason though...
The sedans with their boots have inherent aerodynamic properties which prevents / lowers dust from settling on the rear windshield.

Since this effect is less / minimal in hatchbacks / notchbacks / estates (station wagons) / vehicles with a vertical rear, a rear wiper is very useful in rainy seasons.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:53   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Would you believe that I have never used the rear defogger?

Basically the AC by itself should prevent fogging from inside. You can get fogging on the outside if the inside temperature is cooler than the outside. You can prevent this by adjusting the temperature control knob.

I do miss the rear wiper in the Marina, but then the outside rear view mirrors are quite usable even in moderate rains.

Going to be tough, if it is possible.

The sedans with their boots have inherent aerodynamic properties which prevents / lowers dust from settling on the rear windshield.

Since this effect is less / minimal in hatchbacks / notchbacks / estates (station wagons) / vehicles with a vertical rear, a rear wiper is very useful in rainy seasons.

I have been using an esteem, santro, 800 and a jeep, gypsy so far in life. I did not find any major difference beween the cars (excl jeeps) when it rained. Rear visibility was reduced (to say 50-60%) on a rainy day (excl very heavy rains when I cant even see anything in the front!!!). A combination of orvm and rear view mirror was ok for normal rains.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:21   #388
BHPian

Congrats on your white beauty,and a splendid review.I have also booked a Colorado red Titanium TDCI on 29th May.Need advice for alloys,how much will they cost?
manishverma0675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 10:56   #389
BHPian

Hey joe great review. How many kms have you done so far ?? And when is your next service ?
liner4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 11:52   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishverma0675 View Post
Congrats on your white beauty,and a splendid review.I have also booked a Colorado red Titanium TDCI on 29th May.Need advice for alloys,how much will they cost?
Thanks manish. The alloys I think costs around 14k and up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liner4u View Post
Hey joe great review. How many kms have you done so far ?? And when is your next service ?
Thanks.The car 's done 6200 kms now . Next service is at 10000 kms.
joethomasv is offline   Reply With Quote