Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st March 2010, 21:06   #136
BHPian

Khan how about the requested pictures? waiting and VW go hand in hand

I own a NHC, floor is most vulnerable in this case. So its covered by a beige mat and on top of it is a transparent plastic mat. Seats are covered with turkish cloth seat covers which require a wash every 6-8 months. As for the doors and other beige colored parts, I clean it using a local made solution once every 6-8 month. But the main thing here is I am a bachelor and 90% of the times I drive alone, I dont know what happens to a family driven beige car with kids splashing all around !!!!
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 23:33   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
you can come out with lots of tiny points and think that it would not have cost much for VW. But look at the bigger picture, these cars are made for mass production, every rupee saved has a multiple effect. A very simple calculation, Vanity mirror, toll ticket holder, dead pedal, boot light lets say costs Rs.500 (I am not even considering the logistics involved in it) Now if company is selling around 2K cars per month it would save atleast Rs.1million, this money is sufficient to pay salaries of 100 workers (considering a salary of Rs.10K per worker) Imagine the savings if calculations are done on a much detailed basis.
First of all, let me congratulate you. 6.3L for a Polo petrol highline is a steal! In Bangalore, it will cost more then 7L now.

As for as your opinion is concerned, let me tell you another way of looking at it. If a person can pay 8L for a Polo, he can pay 8.01L. It does not matter. Company can definitely charge a grand more and provide the extra benifits. Customer will be happy and the company also can save Rs.1million as you said.

For a person who is investing 8L, these little things can irritate. Some times it is the attitude of the company which makes them think that they can get away with it.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 00:12   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
I own a NHC, floor is most vulnerable in this case. So its covered by a beige mat and on top of it is a transparent plastic mat. Seats are covered with turkish cloth seat covers which require a wash every 6-8 months. As for the doors and other beige colored parts, I clean it using a local made solution once every 6-8 month. But the main thing here is I am a bachelor and 90% of the times I drive alone, I dont know what happens to a family driven beige car with kids splashing all around !!!!
I had covered the entire floor of my spark with vinyl sheet. Vinyl sheets are available in many colors and designs. These are fitted in to the car by the accessories suppliers. They first remove the front seats and the transmission tunnel cover (center plastic cover around the gear liver and hand break). Then they spread the vinyl sheet inside the car, stick sheets together if width is not sufficient, and over that they fix all the dismantled material back. This will cover the entire floor space. If properly laid, will last for 2 years. It will cost about 3 grand including material and labor. Best part is that you can wipe it with a wet cloth when it gets dirty.

I am not sure if I can get it done inside Polo. May be I have to ask them to take measurement, cut the sheets and place them inside the car as detachable ones, without removing the seats.

On my earlier car, Matiz, the dealer had given a good plastic mat which covered the floor. On this he had placed foot mats. This also had served the purpose. may be this is something like you have done on your NHC.

Whatever it is, maintaining baige interior will be a tough task. More input is welcome.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 12:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Unless one listens to FM broadcasts all day, replacing the speakers is almost a given for anyone buying a Highline. I need to buy a set soon but there's just no time to take it to my audio guy.

I got to know from the dealer that changing stock speaker setup or rather installing new speakers by cutting off the existing connectors would void the electrical warranty. In fact he made me sign an undertaking that I was aware of this fact. Do most speakers come with compatible connecors or would the after market installer need to cut the exisiting connectors. How big a risk is taking this route in terms of warranty? or is this a given. This is my first car and am not aware of the implications of making after market fitments
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 12:58   #140
BHPian

Coming up to a second refuel either today or tomorrow. Been doing a lot of highway driving up and down NH8 so the FE has gone up to 15.3 (indicated value). I'll post the calculated value obtained by the old fashioned way once the car has had its fill of Red Bull.

Yes, I know more pics should be posted but I guess I'm just a lazy douche. I'm probably heading over to Noida for the meet this weekend and will let the others take better snaps.

I'm currently using black floor mats borrowed from the Punto that had an extra set lying around. Not the most elegant solution but will do for now.

No protection on the seats but I don't expect them to remain clean for long, especially since summer's here and my back tends to become a waterfall. I might need to invest in a good bottle of seat cleaner. Anyone have any recommendations?

Going to one Mr Jagdish Khattar's Carnation in Gurgaon later today to see if I can swing some good deals on accessories and other stuff.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 13:05   #141
BHPian

Quote:
I'm probably heading over to Noida for the meet this weekend and will let the others take better snaps.
Khan Sir,

The whole crew (read attendees) is eagerly looking forward to meet you and your German beauty. My fingers have already started itching and can't wait to click the pics of 'Das Auto'.
sheetumanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:49   #142
BHPian

Got her first scratch last night! Some dumb nut in one of those crazy BPO transit vans brushed the left rear corner lightly, that too in stop go traffic! I stopped the car instantly, got out to observe the damage but thankfully it's pretty minor and should be minimized with some good rubbing.

I even tanked her up today.
Indicated mileage: 15.2kpl
Calculated: 15.05kpl
She's crunching up the miles now.

Carnation that I had mentioned in my previous post doesn't really stock anything specific for any of the latest cars (Punto, Polo, Figo). They just cater to boy racer Swifts and retired septuagenarians driving Ritzes. Even their range of car washing products and detailers is pretty mediocre and way inferior to the stuff that's available at any InNOut stores at BP pumps.

I'll probably drive down to VW Bhasin tomorrow morning to take a look at the sports kit.

Last edited by khan75 : 2nd April 2010 at 09:50.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:56   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Got her first scratch last night! Some dumb nut in one of those crazy BPO transit vans brushed the left rear corner lightly, that too in stop go traffic! I stopped the car instantly, got out to observe the damage but thankfully it's pretty minor and should be minimized with some good rubbing.

I even tanked her up today.
She's crunching up the miles now.

Carnation that I had mentioned in my previous post doesn't really stock anything specific for any of the latest cars (Punto, Polo, Figo). They just cater to boy racer Swifts and retired septuagenarians driving Ritzes. Even their range of car washing products and detailers is pretty mediocre and way inferior to the stuff that's available at any InNOut stores at BP pumps.

I'll probably drive down to VW Bhasin tomorrow morning to take a look at the sports kit.
God knows when these BPO rashers would learn to drive

The scratch hurts, yes it does.
the carnation looks like more Maruti oriented; I had visited them in sec 63 Noida and came back un-impressed
sheetumanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
is this figure with the a/c on all the time?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:40   #145
BHPian

Quote:
.....especially since summer's here and my back tends to become a waterfall.
Haha...I know this feeling! That reminds me..hows the air con experience ? I finally managed a TD a GP 1.3 MJD, the salesperson just couldn't make the blower go into AC mode on the Emotion pack, so no AC experience for me there. How did you take care of the security aspect ...gear Lock? I've been told that getting one done voids the warranty. I personally think a car without one is a bad idea in NCR.

About the alloys, I was told the original ones as shown in the Adverts/ brochure would cost 23K INR (4 wheels). I had a look at the spare wheel its a black painted steel rim. I somehow think that the price quoted to me is somewhat inflated, coz during the informal chit chat, I was informed by one of the salesmen that there is quite a margin on them and he can help me get a good deal there, all this with a wink and a wide grin on his face.
better4worse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:04   #146
BHPian

Just got back from a quick visit to Karol Bagh. Ridge Road is not in the best of shape so I decided to give the Polo's suspension a good workout at higher speeds. I'm happy to say that the car seemed pretty solid over uneven roads (no major potholes) at speeds of up to 90. Most drivers will probably chicken out before the car or suspension gives way.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting a pair of LED running lights (found a good quality strip at KB for 750) on the front end just like I did with the Punto. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about running the LED strip around the outer and lower edges, just like on the Audis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Haha...I know this feeling! That reminds me..hows the air con experience ? I finally managed a TD a GP 1.3 MJD, the salesperson just couldn't make the blower go into AC mode on the Emotion pack, so no AC experience for me there. How did you take care of the security aspect ...gear Lock? I've been told that getting one done voids the warranty. I personally think a car without one is a bad idea in NCR.

About the alloys, I was told the original ones as shown in the Adverts/ brochure would cost 23K INR (4 wheels). I had a look at the spare wheel its a black painted steel rim. I somehow think that the price quoted to me is somewhat inflated, coz during the informal chit chat, I was informed by one of the salesmen that there is quite a margin on them and he can help me get a good deal there, all this with a wink and a wide grin on his face.
Air con on both is quite nice. I don't go by how quickly a car gets to the preset temperature but rather how quickly a car's HVAC can get the temperature down to a bearable level. In this regard, the Punto outdoes the Polo as it probably has a bigger compressor. That said, the Figo is the pick of the pack and is probably the only car with an HVAC that can chill you to the bones. A big advantage with the Punto EPack/EmoPack is that you don't need to fiddle around with the settings for the A/C every day. I've preset it to 22C and the car takes care of the rest.
23K is freakin expensive for a set of OEM alloys. I'd never pay that much unless they were lightweight alloys.
Have you bought the Punto already? If you haven't bought one yet and don't mind waiting for a couple of weeks, I could probably sell you my set of alloys as I've found some wire spokes that I plan on buying in a week or two (special order takes a lot of time). Are you coming to the Noida meet? I can bring my Punto over so that you can check the condition of the alloys. (9.5/10 according to me)
No gear lock as yet because AutoCop and other firms are still trying to design one. The lack of one should not be a deterrent in purchasing a GP since all variants (at least the E+ variant) have a rolling code immobilizer that makes it very difficult for any unauthorized person to start the car. I have only one vacant spot in the garage but trust the Punto's internal security more than the Polo, so it's the VW that sleeps under the shed while the Fiat gets to gaze at the night sky.
Edit: Installing a gear lock certainly doesn't void the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
is this figure with the a/c on all the time?
Yeah, most of the time. I usually switch off the A/C but keep the blower on while driving at night. That won't last for long though as temps in Delhi are on their way to a half century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
God knows when these BPO rashers would learn to drive

The scratch hurts, yes it does.
the carnation looks like more Maruti oriented; I had visited them in sec 63 Noida and came back un-impressed
Sometimes I feel like buying a Hummer and ramming their POS cars and vans but then I'd hate to face a massive criminal litigation.
Thanks for the info. The GM at the Gurgaon branch advised me to head over to the Noida branch for accessories for my cars but it seems all Carnation outlets are pretty bad.

Last edited by khan75 : 2nd April 2010 at 19:16.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:49   #147
Senior - BHPian

Khan, what does your odo read now.I am extremely pleased to see that Polo is holding on so far with out any niggles even minor.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:46   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Just got back from a quick visit to Karol Bagh. Ridge Road is not in the best of shape so I decided to give the Polo's suspension a good workout at higher speeds. I'm happy to say that the car seemed pretty solid over uneven roads (no major potholes) at speeds of up to 90. Most drivers will probably chicken out before the car or suspension gives way.
I so agree !! Like I said, I drove the 1.3 MJD.. 'my way' today and the engine response coupled with the ride quality which is definitely (better than the other ones)

Quote:
Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting a pair of LED running lights (found a good quality strip at KB for 750) on the front end just like I did with the Punto. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about running the LED strip around the outer and lower edges, just like on the Audis.
Interesting thought there, but for me, the key lies in the implementation of the idea and the quality of LEDs used ! You've already done the LED jazz up (a la Audi) on your punto... right ? How about posting some pics, I think that would help us get a better idea. Just a thought here, why would you want to install something artificial and protruding on the near perfect contours of Punto/Polo. Wouldn't quite create the Audi effect... would it? Probably, I'm a bit old school here, guess I like the curves as they are!

Quote:
23K is freakin expensive for a set of OEM alloys. I'd never pay that much unless they were lightweight alloys. Have you bought the Punto already? If you haven't bought one yet and don't mind waiting for a couple of weeks, I could probably sell you my set of alloys as I've found some wire spokes that I plan on buying in a week or two (special order takes a lot of time). Are you coming to the Noida meet? I can bring my Punto over so that you can check the condition of the alloys. (9.5/10 according to me)
Yes, 23K INR is just not worth it, frankly I don't think its the right quote in the first place, because the said figure came to me after a lot of " errrrr...aaaaaah...ummmm ..lemme check with someone and get back to you sir " which was followed up by 3 frantic calls by the salesperson. I'd be looking to double check that at three other places before I believe i'd even consider it sacrosant.

As for the car, I am looking to finalize one, I wanted to get hold of one asap, but there's a waiting for a month and more on the Swift petrol version). As for GP my other option, you guys already know my TD experience, as I couldn't manage one, I just went ahead and booked a swift to be on the safe side (with a heavy heart though!). The status as of now is, after having driven the 1.3 GP, I'm looking to reconsider my decision. But its still swinging both way for me. Its all playing in my head right now, Petrol Vs Diesel... looks/ride quality/ engine...my exp with Tata-Fiat ....thoughts on the A.S.S... more like Heart Vs Brain. (I have said that before on another thread ..haven't I?).

As for the alloys on your punto, I'd surely consider them if they are in a good shape. If I am buying a GP, its gotta be 1.3 MJD Active, no Epack for me..as Diesel makes u spend a Lac extra and at 6.9 (on road price for Epack), I'd rather be think about playing the 'big car' game and consider Linea/Fiesta.

Quote:
No gear lock as yet because AutoCop and other firms are still trying to design one. The lack of one should not be a deterrent in purchasing a GP since all variants (at least the E+ variant) have a rolling code immobilizer that makes it very difficult for any unauthorized person to start the car. I have only one vacant spot in the garage but trust the Punto's internal security more than the Polo, so it's the VW that sleeps under the shed while the Fiat gets to gaze at the night sky.
Edit: Installing a gear lock certainly doesn't void the warranty.
Haha..that way...both my cars get to gaze at the night sky. I still think a gear lock is a must and if one has one in the car, please use it even if you step-out for 5 mins. I friend of mine, lost his white MS Zen last Dec, the thing got stolen from a mall within 10 mins (it had a remote central locking...but not a gear lock)

As for my Punto, like I said, I am considering 'Active', could you please double check that immobilizer theory for all variants ? What does the manual say ?

Common sense tell you, Yes, it shouldn't affect the warranty as you aren't cutting any wires and at max punching two holes in the car floor, but then again TATA-FIAT tend feel other wise (for obvious reasons though). Then again...for consumer sake, I wonder if the twain shall ever meet ! ( at my profound best... )

- B4W

PS: .Whats a good colour for Punto ? I am currently smitten by RED (HOT! Period), Foxtrot Blue / Minimal Grey / Moderate Grey ( more executive like...Classy) Nova Bossa White ( actually Pristine and pure, just lovely! ) Hip-hop black ( a frd has one, looks majestic in black)
Your thoughts ? No point.. I say! you already have the lady in RED !

Last edited by better4worse : 2nd April 2010 at 20:52. Reason: removing the dots before some MOD does !
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:55   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
As for my Punto, like I said, I am considering 'Active', could you please double check that immobilizer theory for all variants ? What does the manual say ?
Check here Fiat India Fire prevention system and immobilizer is standard fit.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:26   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Check here Fiat India Fire prevention system and immobilizer is standard fit.
Thanks mate !...my bad, should've looked it up first before raising the point.