Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd April 2010, 21:29   #151
BHPian

@Khan75 -I thought the junta at large wanted you to bring the Polo, would you wanna disappoint them ? Let me get my ride first, I'll hook up with you for the alloys in due course. In the meantime, do post the pics of the ones you're considering.

As for the meet tommorow, I should be able to make it !

Last edited by better4worse : 2nd April 2010 at 21:31.
better4worse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:16   #152
BHPian

Teaser pic of the latest install. A friend of mine who picked up a white Polo HL had got this done to his car so I followed suit. What do you guys think?

I originally wanted to go for an all black setup but the beige contrasts on the doors then looked out of place so I had to stick with a dual tone setup.

@better4worse:
Check my Punto thread for pics of the LED running lights at night. It barely takes 5 minutes to hook the LED strip to a power source or a bit more work if you want a dedicated two way button in the dashboard. Don't worry about the placement of the LEDs on the Polo. I've looked at a couple of snaps of the new Polo GTI that has LED running lights as standard and I think the placement of the string looks pretty good:

I know what you mean about 7-odd lakhs approaching the big car territory. In fact, it's probably the sweet spot to pick up a great deal on higher segment cars. I'm currently eyeing an '06 Civic S in that range.
If I had to buy a new Punto, I'd probably go for the blue, red or white. The car looks smashing in either of the three and presents a lot of mod potential (even a good set of alloys and tint make it stand out from the crowd) while the others frankly look quite dull and don't really highlight the muscular yet sexy lines of the car. With grey or silver, you basically make a statement that you bought a car like this to stand out from the crowd but then chickened out and bought a color that will make your car as ordinary as any other. Yes, a Punto looks great in any color but you'll have to invest so much more in mods and other stuff to highlight a silver or grey car. The black looks nice as well but it will be the biggest PITA to maintain. Plus, blacks don't have the best resale value around, especially in a "hot" city like Delhi.

EDIT:
Guys, anyone know where I can find a "shark fin" antenna for cheap in Delhi, like the one on the Bimmers or even the i10?
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:36   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Teaser pic of the latest install. A friend of mine who picked up a white Polo HL had got this done to his car so I followed suit. What do you guys think?
I originally wanted to go for an all black setup but the beige contrasts on the doors then looked out of place so I had to stick with a dual tone setup.
This looks great! color combination is good and also the fit/stitch. Can you post a snap of the front seats also? How much did it cost?

Only worry is the comfort when sitting on it for long. A fabric cover (with scotch guard) with the same color combination will be better? Any input?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 11:55   #154
BHPian

Guys, we just got back from a superb trip right up to Roorkee (Uttaranchal) last night in my friend's white Polo HL. We probably spent more time off the road than on it, thanks to the absolutely massive traffic jams on the roads leading out of Roorkee, including one in which there was more than a 2KM stretch of cars and trucks just stuck on the highway with everyone out on the road enjoying the night sky, eating oranges and what not and listening to some really loud music. Driving at speeds of up to 50 on the sandy roadside made the car look like it had just come back from winning the Dakar rally. Anyhow, some observations from the trip:
1. Total distance covered- 406kms (Delhi-UA-Delhi)
Fuel topped up this morning - 25.78 liters
Mileage - [406 + 2 (Distance from his house to the gas pump)]/25.78 = 15.82kpl
Note: the A/C was turned on for about 60% of the trip.
2. Top speed - roughly 120 on a 2 or 3 km stretch of freshly constructed barren highway near the UA-UP border.
3. Headlights aren't piercing enough in pitch black darkness. We first thought it was probably sand forming a layer over the headlamps but even after cleaning them up, visibility (and top speed) were limited as we just couldn't take the chance. A better pair of bulbs, maybe with 100W ratings is needed.
4. Engine is a bit noisier than expected at speeds of over 100.
5. The suspension is fantastic. As mentioned earlier, we went through more potholes and craters than tarmac so it was reassuring to know that the car's suspension wouldn't be out of whack on reaching Delhi.
6. The front edge of the bumper that protrudes out a bit is just asking to get scraped due to the larger front overhang (or whatever it's called). We had to literally crawl ahead while trying to traverse larger holes, both on the road and off it. Not a problem with the Santro Xing that was driving along with us.
7. Fast overtaking maneuvers, including sliding in and out between trucks is not a problem due to the excellent steering wheel, good levels of grip and a good powerband if you keep the revs in the middle part of the range. On a tangential note, side bolster support in the front seats is pretty bad.

@ChethanBG:
Roughly 3k.

Yes, a fabric is usually better than leatherette/vinyl but I did this for purely aesthetic reasons. The stitching of the "Livon" upholstery in the Polo HL is not a clean design so I wanted to make some improvements. We'll see how the thing holds up.

Last edited by khan75 : 5th April 2010 at 11:57.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:15   #155
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
1. Total distance covered- 406kms (Delhi-UA-Delhi)
Fuel topped up this morning - 25.78 liters
Mileage - [406 + 2 (Distance from his house to the gas pump)]/25.78 = 15.82kpl Note: the A/C was turned on for about 60% of the trip.
2. Top speed - roughly 120 on a 2 or 3 km stretch of freshly constructed barren highway near the UA-UP border.
3. Headlights aren't piercing enough in pitch black darkness. We first thought it was probably sand forming a layer over the headlamps but even after cleaning them up, visibility (and top speed) were limited as we just couldn't take the chance. A better pair of bulbs, maybe with 100W ratings is needed.
5. The suspension is fantastic. As mentioned earlier, we went through more potholes and craters than tarmac so it was reassuring to know that the car's suspension wouldn't be out of whack on reaching Delhi.
6. The front edge of the bumper that protrudes out a bit is just asking to get scraped due to the larger front overhang (or whatever it's called). We had to literally crawl ahead while trying to traverse larger holes, both on the road and off it. Not a problem with the Santro Xing that was driving along with us.
7. Fast overtaking maneuvers, including sliding in and out between trucks is not a problem due to the excellent steering wheel, good levels of grip and a good powerband if you keep the revs in the middle part of the range. On a tangential note, side bolster support in the front seats is pretty bad.
Do you need an additional relay to change the headlamp bulbs to 100W? How about using Xenon bulbs?

Could you check the fog lamps? Are they effective?

6. You may have to rethink about the sports accessories.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:21   #156
BHPian

Yep, I would think that a relay is needed for safe operation.
Xenon bulbs? If you meant halogen bulbs that emit those blinding white lights, those are pretty much illegal since projector casings meant for halogen bulbs were not designed to handle those kinds of bulbs. However, if you are talking about HID bulbs (like the D2S etc.), you will need lots of other stuff besides the bulbs themselves - things like ballast, xenon projectors etc.

Fog lamps were turned on at night and while they did illuminate the road, the range of the beam was limited to the path immediately in front of us.

Sports accessories are going on the Polo, not the Punto. There's a reason why I use the Punto for out of town excursions.
Old 5th April 2010, 19:15   #157
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Yep, I would think that a relay is needed for safe operation.
Xenon bulbs? If you meant halogen bulbs that emit those blinding white lights, those are pretty much illegal since projector casings meant for halogen bulbs were not designed to handle those kinds of bulbs. However, if you are talking about HID bulbs (like the D2S etc.), you will need lots of other stuff besides the bulbs themselves - things like ballast, xenon projectors etc.

Fog lamps were turned on at night and while they did illuminate the road, the range of the beam was limited to the path immediately in front of us.

Sports accessories are going on the Polo, not the Punto. There's a reason why I use the Punto for out of town excursions.
Please check the following link. I meant HID bulbs.

Volkswagen VW Polo 1994 to 1999 Osram Cool Blue Xenon Headlight Bulbs at Care4car.com
Old 5th April 2010, 23:55   #158
BHPian

Err you seem to be a bit mistaken. I had Osram Cool Blues on my Honda a couple of years ago, those aren't HID bulbs but merely regular bulbs with a whitish-blue coating made to resemble the effect of HID light. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge and there's nothing "high intensity" about these bulbs.
I currently have a pair of high performance Osram Silverstar bulbs on my Miata that emit white light but are in no way HID bulbs.
Old 6th April 2010, 00:10   #159
BHPian

Khan when do we get to see polo in her sports jersey by the way, since you own 2 red beauties, I would like to know the comparison between red shade of both cars, would be interesting to hear, also awaiting lit-up interior pics of polo
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 00:18   #160
BHPian

FormelEins, the car is still at VW Bhasin to get the sports kit fitted on. The paint matching process takes a lot of time and I didn't want them to rush through the process with a half a**ed job so I volunteered to drop the car off while I drive the Punto all day long.

Polo red - deeper and more vivid, kinda remains neutral in all forms of light
Punto red - a touch lighter, has some chromatic properties that make it prone to looking slightly reddish-orange, needs a bit more maintenance to keep the paint shining and blemish free but if you invest that time and energy, the lines of the car show off better than on the Polo.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:05   #161
BHPian

Quote:
6. The front edge of the bumper that protrudes out a bit is just asking to get scraped due to the larger front overhang (or whatever it's called).
On a tangential note, side bolster support in the front seats is pretty bad.
That Roorkee stretch seems to be perennially jammed like that 24x7

Further questions
4. You meant a 'bit' noiser. on the Sporty front?
6. I had known that would happen. But did it 'scrape' ever?

And I thought the seats had good bolster support.
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 09:47   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
That Roorkee stretch seems to be perennially jammed like that 24x7

Further questions
4. You meant a 'bit' noiser. on the Sporty front?
6. I had known that would happen. But did it 'scrape' ever?

And I thought the seats had good bolster support.
I'm not going back to Roorkee until the government gets its roads in place.

As for your questions:
4. No, the noise was more like a loud hum than a "sporty" noise. Remember that the Polo has a 3 pot engine so it has to work progressively harder at high speeds to keep the momentum. That hum wasn't present at sub-100 speeds.
6. It did although we tried our best to avoid doing that. There are a few tiny scrape marks just under the front edge of the bumper. I had to get out of the car on a couple of occasions to check if the car wasn't driving straight into a pit. Never hurts to be a little over cautious.

The seats have decent bolster support but the lack of a thicker contour for bolsters is exposed while sliding in and out of lanes at highway speeds.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:58   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Err you seem to be a bit mistaken. I had Osram Cool Blues on my Honda a couple of years ago, those aren't HID bulbs but merely regular bulbs with a whitish-blue coating made to resemble the effect of HID light. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge and there's nothing "high intensity" about these bulbs.
I currently have a pair of high performance Osram Silverstar bulbs on my Miata that emit white light but are in no way HID bulbs.
Yes. You are right. What is the OE halogen bulb rating in Polo? is it 55 watts?

If you want to upgrade, why not upgrade to Xenon, even if you have to add ballasts? I was going through the following site. It says xenon projectors are not a must for upgrades.

HID / Xenon lighting :: Sigma Automotive

2 HID bulbs (35 watts) + 2 ballasts + Relay = Double the intensity.

Sounds interesting. Any idea about the pitfalls?

Another thing I forgot to ask you - Your Polo is Highline right? Rear seat pics with the seat cover do not show split seats? What happened?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 6th April 2010 at 11:11.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:46   #164
BHPian

As for the sports kit, the rear wing spoiler and muffler have been installed already. The front chin spoiler is proving to be a bit of a problem as the red paint on the car looks a bit (actually a lot) different to what they have painted.

@ChethanBG:
Rating of the OE bulb - 60/55.

Projectors made for halogen bulbs are not designed (and certainly not meant) to be used with HID bulbs so you will end up incurring the wrath of fellow drivers as the light from your car will bounce all over the place.

I don't see where that page talks about xenon projectors not being mandatory for HID upgrades.

I'm planning to buy a pair of smoked headlamps that have projectors built in, much like on my Punto but haven't been able to find a seller for cheap.

I had asked the guy to install the covers into one seamless end-to-end cover at the back. Yes, I did lose the 60/40 split functionality but looks take precedence over boot space usage in my book of priorities.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:59   #165
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
I don't see where that page talks about xenon projectors not being mandatory for HID upgrades.
This is in the FAQ on page 4. Link is as below

HID / Xenon lighting FAQ :: Sigma Automotive

IMO since you are going to anyway alter the circuit, you might as well go for the best. Of course - we should look at the cost and safety aspect also.

Other thing is that your Polo is only driven in city with the sports kit. So why upgrade?

I have copied a few questions for reference. Please note that this is only my view and I do not have any practical experience in this. So for all reasons, the risk is yours!

Can HID conversion kit retrofit any conventional halogen headlight system with genuine HID?

Yes. And some fog lamp units too, provided that space permits.

Our kit is a truly direct plug-n-play retrofit HID conversion type. It transforms ordinary automotive and motorcycle headlight systems into the most advanced HID technology.

What other significance of this conversion should I be aware of?

We will list them out as follows.
  1. Beam Correction - Although our system produces accurate beam with minimal glare nor improper projection, it is always wise to check its focal length and adjust if necessary. Incorrect beam pattern endangers oncoming traffic. NHTSA & DOT received lots of complaints regarding haphazard glare from both aftermarket as well as OEM HID systems.
  2. Converted halogen-to-HID headlight systems are brighter than even OEM HID system - HID system in a light-intensifying halogen housing is brighter than HID system in a light-controlling OEM HID housing. This is why we can't stress enough the importance of checking your projection beam pattern after conversion.
Is it safe to convert one's halogen headlight into HID?

A safety shut-off feature is a must because such conversion can cause fire!

You would be stunned when we tell you that piecing other people's OEM HID ballasts together to form a cheap hybrid kit is like playing with fire, literally. This is why there are no licensed Philips and Hella HID conversion kits worldwide. Irresponsible merchants borrow the fame of Philips & Hella and name their hybrid kits that way - which is misleading and unethical. OEM HID ballasts like Philips & Hella are strictly engineered for OEM applications, their safety features can be heavily compromised when installed on vehicles with stock halogen lighting. This is why our patented HID ballast has this advanced safety feature built-in to provide maximum safety in aftermarket applications.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 7th April 2010 at 11:05.