Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd March 2010, 22:44   #16
cLJ
BHPian

Congratulations Khan, nice comparison. To me, punto looks better than the polo, especially the front. Though you gave same score to the interiors, how do you compare the plastics quality on both the cars?

CLJ
cLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:46   #17
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations! again Khan, I am surprised to see someone buy a two cars from the same segment that are the closest rivals with the same color.

BTW i have driven both the cars with petrol engines. The Polo feels more peppy than Punto 1.4 and i am sure Polo will score better in FE dept as well. Personally i hate the 3 cylinder engine note, be it diesel or petrol.

About the title of the thread: The Europeans have captured your garage.

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd March 2010 at 22:49.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:55   #18
BHPian

Conratulations Khan for the Polo. Needless to say very nicely penned down. Finally, the Polo has arrived in T-BHP garage. I could spot only one till now around Malviya Nagar which was also Red. Was it yours by any chance??
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Lovely car. But i don't understand, if you already had a Punto, then why did you buy the Polo?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Khan, congratulations on the car, and thank you for the fair and objective review (i would have liked better pictures, but that's just me being greedy).

If possible, do let us know about the delivery experience and whether you have been able to get a spare parts price-list. I believe that should be a major criteria for comparing these two.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:33   #21
BHPian

Thanks guys.

Some observations and to answer your feedback:
1. Frankly, the number of folks who prefer the design of the Polo to the Punto is quite a surprise. As I said, the front end of the Polo looks great and so does the side profile but it's the rear end that messes it up. It's a bit like the Pontiac G8 (sorry, I can't think of any other example right now) whose front end is all flared up and muscular but the rear end looks like a wimp. That said, the Polo looks way better than most of the Jap and Korean stuff that's on the market.
2. An all black interior will always look better than a beige/black combo or worse still, an all beige interior and based on my experience, is way easier to maintain. No matter how good a car might be, I'll never buy one with an all beige interior. It'd just make me sick.
3. Believe it or not, the rear seats in the Polo are still virginal and haven't caressed any human buttocks yet. In fact, I would call myself a poor judge of rear seat comfort since barely anyone has ever sat on the back seats of any car that I've owned. I'll try and get some office colleagues to test out rear seat capabilities tomorrow during lunch hour.
4. The plastics on both cars are of pretty good quality. The upper dash on the Punto does feel better to the touch while the rest feel pretty similar. The buttons and levers on the Polo are of very good quality and seem as if they'll outlive the car, something that can't be said about the Punto (hood/bonnet lever broke twice, jammed window switch). Although it's early days, the gear knob on the Polo is a peach. The Punto's gear knob had become a bit wiggly in the second week of ownership itself.
5. I spotted an identical red Polo near the DLF Saket mall over the weekend and saw another red one (no idea about the trim) parked near Moti Mahal in Malviya Nagar the other day as I passed by so they're definitely not uncommon in these parts. To add to that, an expat friend of mine who lives pretty close to Malviya Nagar market is awaiting the delivery of his white Polo Highline.
6. As for "why buy a Polo when I have a Punto", there really isn't a specific reason. It's the same like why do people own two, three or even four cars? The Punto is an excellent car for Indian conditions but it was returning pretty abysmal fuel economy figures in the city and I figured that I might as well get a more economical option. I'm certainly not a fan of the dull styling of most Marutis and Hyundais (no offense) so some of the cars on my shortlist were the Figo, Polo, i10 1.2 and Beat. For various reasons, the other cars had to be dropped and long story short, I ended up with a Polo. I guess a major advantage in my case is that I'm not burdened by family decisions or conundrums like rear seat comfort so if something suits me and is in budget, I usually go for it.
7. The delivery experience with Bhasin Motors (VW South Ex) has been very good, in fact comparable to the delivery experience with my other cars in the US. Considering that it the first time I had purchased a new car in India, I was certainly a bit dazed but the staff was very courteous in dealing with any questions that I had (and I had a hell of a lot!). They even took care of an issue with registration and were cool when I insisted on taking my own insurance. Negotiations were out of question since the car's just come out. My Punto was a second hand buy from a private seller so I can't comment on the delivery experience with that.
I have a price list of spare parts for the Punto but don't have one for the Polo. Let me see if I can pick something up from the dealership tomorrow.

I'll post a few comparison shots of the interiors tomorrow, including a visual head-to-head of the high and low points of both cockpits. However, unlike a standardized exterior shell, the interior does vary based on the trim level. Since it will be a direct pitting of the top end trims of both models, it probably won't help anyone trying to take a decision between the entry level trims on either car.

Any feedback on the style of writing would be appreciated. At the risk of sounding a bit comical, I've been trying to project my views in a lively fashion peppered with facts and figures.

Last edited by khan75 : 23rd March 2010 at 00:44.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Any feedback on the style of writing would be appreciated. At the risk of sounding a bit comical, I've been trying to project my views in a jocular fashion peppered with facts and figures.

I found the writing style to be crisp and objective. I read your first post from the start till the end, and can say confidently that it's well written.

My gripe: The pictures
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I found the writing style to be crisp and objective. I read your first post from the start till the end, and can say confidently that it's well written.

My gripe: The pictures
I wanted to post more pictures but figured that most people would find it boring to see the same car from a thousand different angles (yes, I even have a picture of the underbody!) Plus, a lot of folks probably visit these forums to read more about how it feels and drives rather than how it looks.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Impressive, impartial comparison.

I reviewed the Polo last week and was positively surprised by the interior quality etc.

However, I found the engine uninspiring. Especially at higher speeds. In any case, I don't think that the Polo 1.2 belongs on the highway. The 1.6 would be a great mile-muncher though.

One thing which troubled me a lot while driving the Polo was my knee fouling with the central console. I usually drive with my legs bent at a 140-150 degree angle and in this stance, I ended up with quite a sore left knee.
Your views...?

PS: You have a PM.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:26   #25
BHPian

Excellent write up Khan, really enjoyed reading. Finally I had a chance to get into a POLO in Cochin (no test drive car yet, even after 150+ booking)
hpzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write-up, tells me everythingI need to know, and very educative too.

I'd buy the POLO just for the feature of using the VW logo on the tailgate to open the door
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
I wanted to post more pictures but figured that most people would find it boring to see the same car from a thousand different angles (yes, I even have a picture of the underbody!) Plus, a lot of folks probably visit these forums to read more about how it feels and drives rather than how it looks.
Perhaps, but I thought that your writeup was nicely detailed and pictures would have added some more flavour. For example, the comment about the dasboards (beige and black), could be driven home with a picture of them side by side.

Anyway, that just might be too much work, I am grateful for what you have already provided.

On second thought the picture of the under-body might be very interesting, I want to know if VW has a plate guarding the engine oil sump, like the Fiat does.
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new addition. I am assuming that the Polo is a petrol one (has Diesel deliveries even started?). Someone asked why a Polo when you have a Punto, my question is a mod on that - why another hatch (that too from the same segment)? A smaller hatch / sedan / Diesel..?!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ Amartya

Yes, the Polo has a plastic oil sump guard.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Khan, congrats on both the Punto and Polo. Now, we can expect the reviews and ownership experiences coming. This can serve as a definitive guide for people who would want to compare these two cars.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote