Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th March 2010, 19:21   #106
BHPian

@Khan75 - thanks for all the responses. Guess you missed noticing this last question. So here's reposting it -

Does the Figo 1.2 Petrol in 1st gear, pull from 0 kmph without pressing the accelerator? And what about the Polo on this count?
aryasanyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 19:26   #107
BHPian

Quote:
@Chethan B G
Highline has 15 inch alloy. Where as the other two variants have 14 inch steel wheels. GTO in the first road report (in the other thread) had mentioned that the ride quality would be better with 14 inch wheels. Are we loosing something by having 15 inch alloy in Highline?
The difference in ride quality is due to the difference in profile , 15" has a lower profile , its 185/60 compared to the 175/70 of the comfort line and trend line . This makes a difference in the ride quality , but the stability on higher speeds and the handling would be increased . The specs of bigger tyres are kept in such a way that the overall diameter of the tyre + wheel would be the same and the tyres gets in to the space provided .

@ Khan , isnt it time for more pics of the German beauty ?
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 20:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
@Khan75 - thanks for all the responses. Guess you missed noticing this last question. So here's reposting it -

Does the Figo 1.2 Petrol in 1st gear, pull from 0 kmph without pressing the accelerator? And what about the Polo on this count?
Now a days, all cars comes with Computerised Engine Control Unit. With ECU, it is very simple for the manufacturer to program this facility in to the system. Basically, the Brake and the clutch position is checked and the fuel intake is decided. You can see the RPM raising once you release the clutch.
To answer your question, I think most of the cars today can pull without additional throttle, unless the engine capicity is very low. Definitely Polo and Figo should be able to do it. For petrol cars, since the torque will be less, I guess that the inclination should not be too much. Diesel cars can manage except while climbing something steep. Load also matters.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 21:16   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Now a days, all cars comes with Computerised Engine Control Unit. With ECU, it is very simple for the manufacturer to program this facility in to the system.
========
Load also matters.
@Chetan - Thanks for the explanation. Since my M800 does it effortlessly, I hope that the Figo and Polo should be able to do it.
aryasanyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 23:06   #110
BHPian

Quote:
@ Khan75:

Sorry, I was wrong WRT the boot light. Please do not take it Personal. Your report was excellent. I appreciate your patience.

Is there any possibility of having a dead pedal as an after delivery fitment? After all it is just a block of metal/wood. Has anybody tried?

I have a question for GTO:

Highline has 15 inch alloy. Where as the other two variants have 14 inch steel wheels. GTO in the first road report (in the other thread) had mentioned that the ride quality would be better with 14 inch wheels. Are we loosing something by having 15 inch alloy in Highline?
If 14 inch wheel setup was better, VW should have replaced steel wheel with 14 inch alloys in highline - Right? This is a bit confusing, please clarify. Quote: (Considering that our test Polo was equipped with 15 inch wheels, this is commendable. If anything, the lower variants with their 14 inch wheels will have an even more compliant ride setup.)

Bangalore dealer (Elite Motors –Downtown) says that I can have a 5 inch touch screen GPS with Bluetooth and Rear parking display for around 25K. This is from MapMyIndia, and will be fitted at the dealer’s service centre. Voice can be routed to the car speakers via music system. A camera can be connected for rear display. Can any body suggest me an ideal place to fix this screen in the car? It will be very helpful….
Haven't tried fitting any dead pedal yet. I could get one custom made but how to I affix it to the bottom? Nails?

Ride quality is technically better on the 14"s due to the thicker sidewall that offsets the bumps somewhat. However, the greater contact patch of the 15"s (185 vs 175) will aid in greater traction, thus aiding in better handling. Going to 14"s will lose some of that handling as the thicker sidewalls will be subject to even more strain while shifting/cornering at high speeds. Of course, this is just one part of the story - tires with the exact same specification can vary from one manufacturer to another so always try and get one of the more reliable brands - Yokos, Bridgestones, Michelins or Goodyears. Yes, I know that the Polo comes with JK Acceleres as standard fitment but I wouldn't really trust them in the monsoons or the occasional track day. However, I've been driving around on some pretty rough terrain in the Polo (refer my earlier post for the suspension test on the gravel track) and the default 15"s have a good enough ride quality with no bumpiness.

You really don't need a rear parking sensor/display. I've parked the Polo in the tightest spots and thanks to the negligible rear overhang, parking is pretty easy. What brand of GPS is he offering? I have a couple of Garmins here with me but truth be told, over the past 3-4 months, I've completely stopped using dedicated GPSs since mobile phones do as good a job, if not better. Nokia Maps and Google Maps have excellent coverage of the metros and let's face it, we don't go about discovering unknown areas everyday. For the occasional usage, a mobile phone is good enough. Not only that, don't forget the cost of cartographic updates down the line. Garmin charges roughly $100 for yearly updates while Nokia Maps and GMaps are free for life.
However, if you're still interested in a dedicated GPS, you could probably create a small cubby hole in the right corner of the dash near the button for adjusting the ORVM. Alternatively, get a suction cup and GPS holder and stick it on top of the dashboard. Remember to remove it whenever you get out of the car or it'll be gone in no time. Or, if you're feeling really brave and want a kick arse setup to impress your friends, get a fold out display screen that comes out of the dash and pops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
hummmmm..... The final finish will always be a little different on plastics than on metal surfaces.
Not noticeable, but if you look very closely you will find the difference.

Looking forward to seeing your car with sports kit.
BTW, do post some detailed interior shots.
I know, but I've warned them that the difference should be minimal. That means proper sanding and applying the appropriate number of coats and not some botched up job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good review, enjoyed it.

Khan, any ride/handling comparisons with the 14inchers on the Trend/Comfortline.
Thanks.
Not really, I did test drive the Comfortline while waiting for the delivery of my Polo but don't recollect feeling any improvements in the ride quality. I'll try and push for a TD of the TL/CL when I go to collect the sports kit next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post

The Polo does it, no problem at all. Didn't test this on the Figo but I assume it does it as well.

Last edited by khan75 : 29th March 2010 at 23:12.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 00:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

The Polo looks more aggressive in profile vis-a-vis the Punto.

Congrats by the way
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 01:13   #112
BHPian

As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Btw, Autoblog just posted a set of pictures of the new Fiesta RS500 in matte black and that's the first Ford after the iconic GT which has completely blown me over. While I can't buy one in the US (thanks to bulbous Yanks), I'm kinda hoping Ford brings an RS edition out here. Ooh I'm drooling at the possibilities of driving such a car in India.

New set of snaps coming shortly.
Old 30th March 2010, 08:42   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post

However, if you're still interested in a dedicated GPS, you could probably create a small cubby hole in the right corner of the dash near the button for adjusting the ORVM. Alternatively, get a suction cup and GPS holder and stick it on top of the dashboard. Remember to remove it whenever you get out of the car or it'll be gone in no time. Or, if you're feeling really brave and want a kick arse setup to impress your friends, get a fold out display screen that comes out of the dash and pops up.
Does your Polo have electrically adjustable OVRMs? That would be a surprise, because I was under the impression this was one of the many features that VW left out of the Polo when it was brought to India.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 12:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Haven't tried fitting any dead pedal yet. I could get one custom made but how to I affix it to the bottom? Nails?

You really don't need a rear parking sensor/display. I've parked the Polo in the tightest spots and thanks to the negligible rear overhang, parking is pretty easy. What brand of GPS is he offering? I have a couple of Garmins here with me but truth be told, over the past 3-4 months, I've completely stopped using dedicated GPSs since mobile phones do as good a job, if not better. Nokia Maps and Google Maps have excellent coverage of the metros and let's face it, we don't go about discovering unknown areas everyday. For the occasional usage, a mobile phone is good enough. Not only that, don't forget the cost of cartographic updates down the line. Garmin charges roughly $100 for yearly updates while Nokia Maps and GMaps are free for life.
Dead Pedal:

Wedge could be made with Teak wood / stainless steel (316L grade) / Nylon. If it is Teak wood or nylon, it has to be solid. This needs to be permanently fixed since it can get below the clutch/brake pedals and cause problem.
Best way to fix it is to bolt it to the under body. This can be a permanent solution. For this there should be space under the body. Assuming that there is space:
Buy two (10mm thickness, required length) SS bolts with washer heads. SS Nut should be fixed on the wedge side. Make 2 11mm holes in the bottom body two inches away from each other. Fix the wedge. To avoid corrosion at the point of drill, you can use stuff like Silicon RTV sealant. This will also eliminate the problem of water seeping inside during under body wash.
If there is no space underneath, you can make the wedge with Nylon block, and fix it with the adhesive you were mentioning, if you feel that it can hold. For this, you will have to cut the floor carpet. Also see if you can clamp the wedge to the bottom of the centre partition.

GPS:

I agree with you on the parking sensor/display. But since this device had the option, thought of making use of it. This device is MapMyIndia Zx150 Deluxe. Using Mobile for GPS drains the battery very fast. In Bangalore, since I travel across the city every day (Not an office to home kind of job), it will help me to have knowledge of the high traffic area, easiest way etc. My other main issue is to have BT connectivity to my phone. If you can suggest me a 2 din music player with BT,GPS,USB connections, which will be available in India, it will be great. I saw a few on the web. Not sure if it can be fitted on Polo.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 13:21   #115
Senior - BHPian

Khan75 How are you planning the service. Are you going to wait till 15,000Km for the first service or planning to go for an intermediate check up.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 19:17   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Does your Polo have electrically adjustable OVRMs? That would be a surprise, because I was under the impression this was one of the many features that VW left out of the Polo when it was brought to India.
Err, I was talking about the tiny lever thingy that adjusts the ORVM. I don't know the technical lingo for that thing and thus resorted to calling it a generic button. For the record, the Punto and Figo have electrically adjustable ORVMs, the Polo does not.

Quote:
Dead Pedal:

Wedge could be made with Teak wood / stainless steel (316L grade) / Nylon. If it is Teak wood or nylon, it has to be solid. This needs to be permanently fixed since it can get below the clutch/brake pedals and cause problem.
Best way to fix it is to bolt it to the under body. This can be a permanent solution. For this there should be space under the body. Assuming that there is space:
Buy two (10mm thickness, required length) SS bolts with washer heads. SS Nut should be fixed on the wedge side. Make 2 – 11mm holes in the bottom body two inches away from each other. Fix the wedge. To avoid corrosion at the point of drill, you can use stuff like Silicon RTV sealant. This will also eliminate the problem of water seeping inside during under body wash.
If there is no space underneath, you can make the wedge with Nylon block, and fix it with the adhesive you were mentioning, if you feel that it can hold. For this, you will have to cut the floor carpet. Also see if you can clamp the wedge to the bottom of the centre partition.

GPS:

I agree with you on the parking sensor/display. But since this device had the option, thought of making use of it. This device is MapMyIndia Zx150 Deluxe. Using Mobile for GPS drains the battery very fast. In Bangalore, since I travel across the city every day (Not an office to home kind of job), it will help me to have knowledge of the high traffic area, easiest way etc. My other main issue is to have BT connectivity to my phone. If you can suggest me a 2 din music player with BT,GPS,USB connections, which will be available in India, it will be great. I saw a few on the web. Not sure if it can be fitted on Polo.
Wow have you fitted something like that already in some other car? You really do seem to know a lot about dead pedals. Stainless steel won't provide much friction so I will have to get a layer of rubber stops as an upper layer. Getting one made is not the problem, its the fact whether it is of any value. I need to drive around some more to see if I miss having a dead pedal.
About the GPS, the ZX150 does not provide traffic updates so there's no way to know about the traffic conditions on the road ahead. In fact, I don't think India has any FM channel that provides such updates.
I can think of a dozen models that should technically fit into any double DIN slot. I had a Kenwood DNX7100 in one of my previous cars that had a 7" folded touch screen which would slide out and pop up at the press of a button. Turn off the system and very few can tell that you have a monster screen behind the faceplate. Mine had a full fledged music player, CD changer, BT, GPS, USB and A/V for a backup cam. Specs here:
Kenwood DNX7100 DVD navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com
Prices will be more expensive than a standalone GPS but you do get a thoroughly integrated ICE system. Of course, I'm assuming you're planning to buy a TL/CL and not a HL which has an OEM ICE.
If you want a stand alone GPS like the ZX150, be sure to TD it thoroughly on your usual roads. See if it has all the latest changes in its database. What vendor do they use for cartographic data? Map updates for GPS units can be quite expensive so be sure what you buy isn't outdated the moment you take it out of its box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Khan75 How are you planning the service. Are you going to wait till 15,000Km for the first service or planning to go for an intermediate check up.
Will follow the usual service schedule, unless something aberrant turns up anytime down the line. In any case, I check the level of all fluids every weekend. Do you think there's a good reason I should go in earlier?

Last edited by khan75 : 30th March 2010 at 19:21.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:03   #117
BHPian

Khan, how about some pictures of the interiors, specially the ones with all lit up console? do power window buttons, light adjustment knobs have lights? during my TD I felt the horn buttons bit hard to press, do you feel the same? is the transmission tunnel at the rear too high ??? i missed out on these observations during TD.

ps: i do plan for those smoked headlamps, I only wish they would be available from VW showrooms, my dealer has no idea, maybe yours can provide some input??
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 01:20   #118
BHPian

Will try and get some snaps for you tomorrow (or today actually).

Light adjustment knobs? Not sure what you mean there? If you meant the rotary knob to turn on the headlights, then yes, that's illuminated.

I get the feeling that the hit area for the horn is a bit weirdly placed and thus might appear to be hard to press. I had the same feeling for the first couple of hours but got used to it.
The transmission tunnel at the rear isn't too high. Yes, there is a noticeable bump just where the central console ends but a passenger could perch his legs on either side of the narrow tunnel.

I had asked my dealership about the possibility of importing stuff from VW UK, things like the euro style head and tail lamps but they flatly refused to do so stating that it was against company policies. Guess the best option would be to wait for a couple of months until the Polo gets more popular for the local mod shops to sit up and take notice of the style potential on these cars.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:24   #119
BHPian

well you got my terminology for light adjustment knobs how about lights on power window switches? are you planning to make changes to audio system, like adding amplifier, replacing speakers?

importing is against the policy of company?? so your sports kit is being imported by the dealer or VW itself ?? I am bit skeptic that mod shops would jump on to Polo accessories so soon, deliveries itself are taking hell of a time. When I saw the pictures of polo cup model, it featured those smoked lamps, so I guess once VW launches polo cup they would also introduce those headlamps
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:30   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Dead Pedal:

GPS:

I agree with you on the parking sensor/display. But since this device had the option, thought of making use of it. This device is MapMyIndia Zx150 Deluxe. Using Mobile for GPS drains the battery very fast.

What's really sad is that we are forced to discuss jugaad mechanisms like these when the manufacturer itself provides for these components in other markets.
In the South African market ( no less!) , there is no Highline version of the polo, but comfortline comes with ABS with EBD, there is ESP, dual smoked headlamps, 4 passenger airbags + curtain airbags optional,passenger airbag deactivation, LED integrated ORVM (heated), cooled glove box, 12v socket in the boot, reading lights front and rear, auto-dimming courtesy lights, illuminated vanity mirrors, white backlit MFD, tiptronic, leather gearshift and steering with chrome insert, 3 year/ 120,000 KM warranty, 12 year anti-corrosion warranty, 5 year/ 60,000 Km maintenance plans. Also, only 1,4 and 1.6 liter engines, no piddling 1.2s.
Yes, it costs money, but when I see that the price for a "Highline" in Bangalore is past 8.2 Large ones (2 less than in South Africa), and there is no corresponding "high" coming out of owning a watered-down Polo, I wonder what those "high" booking numbers actually are about.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote