Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 11:49   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default

Now that is an accesory list
http://www.vw.co.za/assets/microsite...ccessories.pdf
I want those sill rails and protectors.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:17   #122
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
I had asked my dealership about the possibility of importing stuff from VW UK, things like the euro style head and tail lamps but they flatly refused to do so stating that it was against company policies. Guess the best option would be to wait for a couple of months until the Polo gets more popular for the local mod shops to sit up and take notice of the style potential on these cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Wow have you fitted something like that already in some other car? You really do seem to know a lot about dead pedals. Stainless steel won't provide much friction so I will have to get a layer of rubber stops as an upper layer. Getting one made is not the problem, its the fact whether it is of any value. I need to drive around some more to see if I miss having a dead pedal.
About the GPS, the ZX150 does not provide traffic updates so there's no way to know about the traffic conditions on the road ahead. In fact, I don't think India has any FM channel that provides such updates.
I can think of a dozen models that should technically fit into any double DIN slot. I had a Kenwood DNX7100 in one of my previous cars that had a 7" folded touch screen which would slide out and pop up at the press of a button. Turn off the system and very few can tell that you have a monster screen behind the faceplate. Mine had a full fledged music player, CD changer, BT, GPS, USB and A/V for a backup cam. Specs here:
Kenwood DNX7100 DVD navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com
Prices will be more expensive than a standalone GPS but you do get a thoroughly integrated ICE system. Of course, I'm assuming you're planning to buy a TL/CL and not a HL which has an OEM ICE.
If you want a stand alone GPS like the ZX150, be sure to TD it thoroughly on your usual roads. See if it has all the latest changes in its database. What vendor do they use for cartographic data? Map updates for GPS units can be quite expensive so be sure what you buy isn't outdated the moment you take it out of its box.
Have not fitted any Dead pedals nor did I feel the necessity. I could suggest since I am from an engineering background. I learnt driving 20 years back in a jeep. After that I have driven ambassador etc for quite some time. These vehicles did not need dead pedals since there actual pedal itself were almost dead!

Idea was, people were making an issue of the dead pedals absence in Polo. Wanted to find out how important it was to have it! And I got my answer!

Kenwood DNX7100 is a good one. Thanks for the suggestion! That is exactly what I was looking for. But I am not sure if it fits in to the Polo physically and electrically. Site has option to select Golf but not Polo in the configuration. Front cornors of the Polo ICE is rounded, I am not sure about the depth, etc. Even on investment, it will exceed 9L if I am not able to get a reasonable price for my old OEM ICE.

I was going through some of your posting on CL/HL. Good differentiation. It has helped me in deciding on my GPS/Music system. I have booked a HL and so it comes with an OEM ICE which is useless (wish even HL did not have it so that I could have had my choice). I will wait for 3/6 months until VW/Others comes up with more options wrt accessories and then change the ICE. I some how do not feel like tampering the dashboard.

Can you throw in your inputs on Black color from your personal experience?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:37   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default

Khan, a query for you. What is the backlight status of OEM ICE unit? Is it always on? Or comes alive only if headlights are turned on? Or can it be controlled separately?
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:13   #124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 166
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
What's really sad is that we are forced to discuss jugaad mechanisms like these when the manufacturer itself provides for these components in other markets.
In the South African market ( no less!) , there is no Highline version of the polo, but comfortline comes with ABS with EBD, there is ESP, dual smoked headlamps, 4 passenger airbags + curtain airbags optional,passenger airbag deactivation, LED integrated ORVM (heated), cooled glove box, 12v socket in the boot, reading lights front and rear, auto-dimming courtesy lights, illuminated vanity mirrors, white backlit MFD, tiptronic, leather gearshift and steering with chrome insert, 3 year/ 120,000 KM warranty, 12 year anti-corrosion warranty, 5 year/ 60,000 Km maintenance plans. Also, only 1,4 and 1.6 liter engines, no piddling 1.2s.
Yes, it costs money, but when I see that the price for a "Highline" in Bangalore is past 8.2 Large ones (2 less than in South Africa), and there is no corresponding "high" coming out of owning a watered-down Polo, I wonder what those "high" booking numbers actually are about.
you are right mate, VW provides lot of ammunition on its South African polo, but its also true that it drills a hole in your pocket which gets rid of almost 11 Lakh rupees. R u ready to pay for that in India?? if VW provides you a car for 11 lakh in India and misses out on features then it makes sense to bash them, otherwise it is not worth even comparing A petrol highline costs me 6.3 on road, now if taxes in Bangalore are high VW cannot compensate for that.
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 14:27   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
you are right mate, VW provides lot of ammunition on its South African polo, but its also true that it drills a hole in your pocket which gets rid of almost 11 Lakh rupees. R u ready to pay for that in India?? if VW provides you a car for 11 lakh in India and misses out on features then it makes sense to bash them, otherwise it is not worth even comparing A petrol highline costs me 6.3 on road, now if taxes in Bangalore are high VW cannot compensate for that.
You are right. But things like:

1. Holding back Keyless entry for CL (after market fitment will not have OEM key)
2. Providing OEM-IEC which is totally outdated
3. No option of additional colors for TL even at an extra cost
4. Power windows operation is different in HL compared to TL, even though both have all four doors power windows.
5. Vanity mirror, toll ticket holder, dead pedal, boot light - How much will it cost?

will give us a bad taste.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 31st March 2010 at 14:45.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 15:45   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 166
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
You are right. But things like:

1. Holding back Keyless entry for CL (after market fitment will not have OEM key)
2. Providing OEM-IEC which is totally outdated
3. No option of additional colors for TL even at an extra cost
4. Power windows operation is different in HL compared to TL, even though both have all four doors power windows.
5. Vanity mirror, toll ticket holder, dead pedal, boot light - How much will it cost?

will give us a bad taste.
you can come out with lots of tiny points and think that it would not have cost much for VW. But look at the bigger picture, these cars are made for mass production, every rupee saved has a multiple effect. A very simple calculation, Vanity mirror, toll ticket holder, dead pedal, boot light lets say costs Rs.500 (I am not even considering the logistics involved in it) Now if company is selling around 2K cars per month it would save atleast Rs.1million, this money is sufficient to pay salaries of 100 workers (considering a salary of Rs.10K per worker) Imagine the savings if calculations are done on a much detailed basis.
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:01   #127
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

Finally got a look at some actual pics of the car with the Indian spec sports kit. It doesn't seem to look what I originally had in mind. I thought it would be a bit flashy and not something that barely stands out from a non kitted Polo. Guys, I don't know whether the sports kit is worth it now. Yes, the rear wing and rear sport bumper look nice but overall, what do you guys think?
I even checked out some the other accessories that my dealer received today. The GPS unit is actually a 2-3 year old Garmin satnav, all VW head units are Kenwoods, the single color seat cover had slightly irregular stitching that's probably a result of poor Chinese quality control, mud flaps are no better than a thick black square sheet made of generic plastic (no VW or Polo logos), the stainless steel door scuff plate does not light up (like it does on the Honda Jazz) and the "Polo" floor mats are of average quality.

Attaching some pics off the brochure that was delivered earlier today:







Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Idea was, people were making an issue of the dead pedals absence in Polo. Wanted to find out how important it was to have it! And I got my answer!

Kenwood DNX7100 is a good one. Thanks for the suggestion! That is exactly what I was looking for. But I am not sure if it fits in to the Polo physically and electrically. Site has option to select Golf but not Polo in the configuration. Front cornors of the Polo ICE is rounded, I am not sure about the depth, etc. Even on investment, it will exceed 9L if I am not able to get a reasonable price for my old OEM ICE.

I was going through some of your posting on CL/HL. Good differentiation. It has helped me in deciding on my GPS/Music system. I have booked a HL and so it comes with an OEM ICE which is useless (wish even HL did not have it so that I could have had my choice). I will wait for 3/6 months until VW/Others comes up with more options wrt accessories and then change the ICE. I some how do not feel like tampering the dashboard.

Can you throw in your inputs on Black color from your personal experience?
Try and measure the height of the DDIN slot. If it's 4" or more, the Kenwood will fit right in.
Congrats on booking an HL. Agree that the ICE HU isn't very good (what OEM unit is??). I don't plan on removing the HU though as it is extremely difficult to match a 3rd party HU with the rest of the interior but will definitely replace the 4 speakers and possibly add a sub/amp if the time and money permits.
Black color as on the exterior? If that's what you meant, the black has a pearlescent finish that is extremely lustrous. A pearl effect paint has an extra middle coat between the base and clear coat. The extra coat has a base mica color that shines through a upper crust color thereby imparting a different kind of finish. Overall, not an easy shade to maintain but after you put in some effort to clean and detail it, the car will shine like no other.
If you were talking about the interior, the Polo has a beige/black combo. An all black interior is not available. (why VW why?!!!?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Khan, a query for you. What is the backlight status of OEM ICE unit? Is it always on? Or comes alive only if headlights are turned on? Or can it be controlled separately?
The backlight is on if the HU is on. No backlight if you turn the HU off by pressing the left rotary knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
You are right. But things like:

1. Holding back Keyless entry for CL (after market fitment will not have OEM key)
2. Providing OEM-IEC which is totally outdated
3. No option of additional colors for TL even at an extra cost
4. Power windows operation is different in HL compared to TL, even though both have all four doors power windows.
5. Vanity mirror, toll ticket holder, dead pedal, boot light - How much will it cost?

will give us a bad taste.
The top of the line version should have a couple of compelling features that entice a buyer to go for that variant. Let's face it - merely having ABS and airbags as differentiators isn't going to entice Indian buyers.
I cannot fathom the ridiculousness of VW's top management that took the decision of restricting the paint shades on the TL to just two.
Toll ticket holder? What the heck is that? I have driven all sorts of cars and have never heard of one, let alone see one.
Vanity mirror - if a mirror is that important, just grab one of those tiny folding mirrors from your wife/GF/mum's make up bag. Or buy a 3rd party visor that has a lighted vanity mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins
well you got my terminology for light adjustment knobs how about lights on power window switches? are you planning to make changes to audio system, like adding amplifier, replacing speakers?

importing is against the policy of company?? so your sports kit is being imported by the dealer or VW itself ?? I am bit skeptic that mod shops would jump on to Polo accessories so soon, deliveries itself are taking hell of a time. When I saw the pictures of polo cup model, it featured those smoked lamps, so I guess once VW launches polo cup they would also introduce those headlamps.
Power window switches have a soft backlight. The lock button on the lock/unlock rocker switch has a backlight, the unlock button does not.

Unless one listens to FM broadcasts all day, replacing the speakers is almost a given for anyone buying a Highline. I need to buy a set soon but there's just no time to take it to my audio guy.

The kit is imported by VW and shipped to the dealer by surface transport (no charges) or air cargo (dealer pays extra).
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:49   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 166
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

wow, the thread just got hotter with these new pics. Stunning, jaw dropping, eye-candy yes it is. With the sports kit it is one hell of a eye magnet on road but from economic point its expensive. But again isnt that a premium you pay for standing out of the crowd. I definitely believe that the manufacturing cost of the kit is cheaper, but it is not made for masses. Had it been priced cheap, it would have lost its image. Every other polo would be running with those kits, there wont be any envy or jealousy. So the bottomline is yes it is pricey but it is an accessory not a necessity. Those who can afford it can flaunt it, while others like me can just get envious

For me the front was always sporty with the chiseled bumper and black grill in between, lip-skirt adds a mild touch to it. Rear looks more nice to me. Side skirts hmm offcourse they add more muscle but from pics I think their thickness is about 40-50mm, a concern for Indian roads?? I think so. But Brochure also says it is made of unbreakable plastic
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:55   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default

That is one of a kind beauty. But Indian Polo with out the smoked head lamps and those ten spoked alloys may get a lesser fillip.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 17:38   #130
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

Unbreakable plastic is just marketing speak for polyurethane.

Anyways, it's not a question about the money and I've never objected to the relatively high cost of the sports kit. However, I get the feeling that it's not good enough. It's back to the drawing board as I might need to think about what components of the sports kit I really need.

Those 19" alloys are like a double edged sword - they just aren't usable like that on Indian roads and if we get a similar design in 15 or 16", they probably won't look good enough.

Let me know if you guys need close up snaps of all the other accessories. I even got the new India spec Polo brochure which is a high quality 20 page document with high resolution snaps and printing.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 17:46   #131
BHPian
 
crackingride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Finally got a look at some actual pics of the car with the Indian spec sports kit. I
Attaching some pics off the brochure that was delivered earlier today:

The kit is imported by VW and shipped to the dealer by surface transport (no charges) or air cargo (dealer pays extra).
This looks like the South African Brochure to me. I guess they are importing the kits from there. However, they have access to some lovely alloys, including a 17 inch that is being touted for the Polo cup here.
Someone asked me if I would plonk 11 Large for a Polo; If that someone took the time to follow my posts over the last year, I think the answer is clear. I was waiting to put money down for a clearly differentiated Euro-hatch. I did not want a boot. So for the spec, at the price of a Honda City, I would go for it. But not in this guise.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 17:51   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Finally got a look at some actual pics of the car with the Indian spec sports kit.
I saw you mentioning about the tyres in one of your previous threads. Have you changed your Polo tyres?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 17:57   #133
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

Just noticed that the accessories brochure has this on the last page. I quote verbatim:
"Financing of accessories. The inexpensive way to obtain VW Accessories.
Please note our favourable financing facilities for accessories."
So if anyone's in two minds due to the high cost of the kit, a financing option is available as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
This looks like the South African Brochure to me. I guess they are importing the kits from there. However, they have access to some lovely alloys, including a 17 inch that is being touted for the Polo cup here.
I know the UK market gets a different set of bumpers and stuff so SA seems likely. However, most of the stuff in the SA brochure won't be available in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Someone asked me if I would plonk 11 Large for a Polo; If that someone took the time to follow my posts over the last year, I think the answer is clear. I was waiting to put money down for a clearly differentiated Euro-hatch. I did not want a boot. So for the spec, at the price of a Honda City, I would go for it. But not in this guise.
That's the European mindset. Very, very, very few Indian buyers would plonk down that kind of money on a hatch. Even the Americans won't look at it unless the car has at least 200hp or thereabouts.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 18:16   #134
BHPian
 
SumitBahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 975
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

That sports kit looks pretty good to me.
It makes the front from aggressive and delicious back. Its much better than stock.

Allloys are playing their part in the look. You cannot go for 19" in Indian conditions. With a lot of sacrifice to ride quality, you can manage 17 inchers.
SumitBahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 18:55   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Yes, the rear wing and rear sport bumper look nice but overall, what do you guys think?

I even checked out some the other accessories that my dealer received today. The GPS unit is actually a 2-3 year old Garmin satnav, all VW head units are Kenwoods, the single color seat cover had slightly irregular stitching that's probably a result of poor Chinese quality control, mud flaps are no better than a thick black square sheet made of generic plastic (no VW or Polo logos), the stainless steel door scuff plate does not light up (like it does on the Honda Jazz) and the "Polo" floor mats are of average quality.

I don't plan on removing the HU though as it is extremely difficult to match a 3rd party HU with the rest of the interior but will definitely replace the 4 speakers and possibly add a sub/amp if the time and money permits.

Black color as on the exterior? If that's what you meant, the black has a pearlescent finish that is extremely lustrous. A pearl effect paint has an extra middle coat between the base and clear coat. The extra coat has a base mica color that shines through a upper crust color thereby imparting a different kind of finish. Overall, not an easy shade to maintain but after you put in some effort to clean and detail it, the car will shine like no other.

Toll ticket holder? What the heck is that? I have driven all sorts of cars and have never heard of one, let alone see one.
Sports kit looks very good. You should have it if you like such stuff.

WRT accessories MHO is to go slow. Better buy that is required urgently and wait for after market fitments. I agree with you on the third party HU.

Sorry to confuse you, what I meant was exterior color. Thanks for your feedback.

Toll ticket holder is something which will be on the driver side sun visor. Like the one on Fabia, if you have noticed. I will try to get a pair of Fabia visors if it is available. That will solve the vanity mirror issue also.

Please give details once you change the speaker set. Also, how do you plan to keep the floor carpet clean? Even Honda car users can pitch in!
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polo 1.6 Red Devil...the Germans got the better of me! vipinjoshi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 9th July 2012 14:20
OMG!! A Hummer H2 tuned by Germans! Stratos The International Automotive Scene 20 25th June 2008 19:48
Germans ready to buy chinese cars! amit The International Automotive Scene 42 22nd October 2005 22:34
Germans to put a speed limit on the autobahns _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 0 28th September 2004 05:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks