Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th October 2010, 19:21   #46
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
Oct 15th, 2010.
My Flamenco Red Beauty celebrates her 1st Birthday.
Happy birthday to your Fiat Linea, RajBajwa. I wish her many more happy returns of the day.
Quote:
I have completed 5300 kms as of date.
I am better as my Linea completed 8521 km in the first year!
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 21:57   #47
BHPian

Congrats Raj on completing a year with the Linea. With a Linea time and distance seem to fly past you
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 13:53   #48
BHPian

Happy birthday to your Linea. May god give her a long and healthy life!

5.3K in a year is not fair. I think you are being too protective just like a father of a beauty. You need to let her breath, see the world around and enjoy her life.

Wish you many happy miles!
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 10:22   #49
BHPian

Hey all,

Was looking for replacement for my 5+ yrs old Ford Ikon. Got a chance to drive Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion in our IT campus, Bangalore. Indeed Linea is class apart. Test drive was lasted for 30 mins approx incl bad roads, plain straight open road, steep acceleration/deceleration, hard braking etc. The gear shifting was butter smooth, absolutely no(little may be) cabin noise, decent interiors(didn't impress me much though). I was shocked when i got down to know that its the diesel version i took the test drive(even the salesman was unaware of that , strange but true, convinced about the Tata's support) . Absolutely, no turbo lag. Such a great piece of engineering all together.

One thing i did not like out rightly was that, on bad roads the steering was vibrating like crazy. First instance, i thought the engine is stalling coz i was slow. Is it normal behavior ?? I can understand the term "Steering feedback", but this was too much for me to convince the behavior was by design.

I have my 2nd car, Ford Figo Diesel which is like Siberian bull. Once the turbo kicks in(after about 2.2K rpm), the surge of torque what you can experience is simply amazing. I did not feel that kick of turbo torque in action in Fiat Linea Diesel. Has anyone experienced the same? Please comment.
hemantbsutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 13:10   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
I did not feel that kick of turbo torque in action in Fiat Linea Diesel. Has anyone experienced the same? Please comment.
Hi Hemant! In India, Punto and Linea MJD ECU mapping is done for Linear power. So you wont feel the turbo kicking off. So this reduces the turbo lag as you find in a Figo. Punto and Linea are far better to drive in city traffic conditions.
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 16:04   #51
BHPian

Dear RajBajwa,

Many congratulations on the anniversary. Owning a FIAT is sure an emotional decision and it owns you instead the other eay around.

My 1.4 FIRE vocal white completed a year in July and I have just clocked 9K on the odo.

Apart from the past three weeks when I sufferred on account of a poor response at FIAT service centre at Baroda, I have had a great experience owning & driving this beauty. Upon FIAPLs intervention, my issue was reesolved on super priority last week.

Enjoy many more miles and best to you to manage this complicated relationship (applicable to married male FIAT owners) !!

Cheers
lightinin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
A Very Happy Birthday to your LINEA! Hope she continues to satisfy you for many more years to come.
So true. There is something in a Fiat which which creates a unique fondness with the car owner!
Thanks Earthed. Yes, this is my third car but the bond is much more than I had for my first Hyundai Santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Best wishes to your Fiat Linea on her first birthday.
Let me hope that you'll upload the birthday pictures. Btw, how many kms did you crunch so far?
Amith
Thanks Amith. Iíll try uploading some pictures after the birthday. I have a few recent pictures to share here. I had taken these recently when I was out with wife and in-laws. We were taking our pictures while waiting for the valet parking guy to get the car. When the car came I was tempted to shoot images of the car. The love affair hasnít stopped and hopefully will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Happy birthday to your car. May your love story go on forever.
Thanks Sudev. Yes the love story is going on. Iíll explain later how come the kms are so less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Raj Paaji, Congratulations to you and your Red beauty for completing one Year. I could sense the passion you had for the Linea, when we met at Marine Drive.
Thank You Sanjeev Sirjee. Looking forward to meeting you and others soon at my babyís birthplace. I Love cars and Love Mumbai. You saw that passion at Marine Drive. Thatís one place where I enjoy the most to drive in Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
HBD to your Linea Raj. Many more happy miles.
Hey Kapil. Howís the twin sister doing. 15th October is special for both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Happy birthday to your Fiat Linea, RajBajwa. I wish her many more happy returns of the day.
I am better as my Linea completed 8521 km in the first year!
Thanks J Ravi. I think you, Kapil and I are three Linea Emotion + owners who got the cars at around the same time and are quite active on forums to talk about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Congrats Raj on completing a year with the Linea. With a Linea time and distance seem to fly past you
Thanks Vikrant. Yes itís quite a pleasure to drive and simply admire the beauty. I remember meeting you during the Fiat meet at Bigwheels Lonavala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Happy birthday to your Linea. May god give her a long and healthy life!
5.3K in a year is not fair. I think you are being too protective just like a father of a beauty. You need to let her breath, see the world around and enjoy her life. Wish you many happy miles!
Thanks Autocop. It was the first year. Probably itíll be more as years pass on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinin95 View Post
Dear RajBajwa,
Many congratulations on the anniversary. Owning a FIAT is sure an emotional decision and it owns you instead the other way around.
Cheers
Thanks Lightinin95. Fiat cars are great. My experience with the service centers hasnít been satisfactory either. But then I am content with having a car which I like and enjoy driving. One of the prices to pay for such cars is to bear with the service center staff who do their job only when pushed.
Managing the relationship with the car is a torrid affair. My wife has been complaining to her relatives that I love my car more than her. I am guessing many linea owners must be in the same situation as I am and need to cajole their wives that they do love them more and then wink at the car mischievously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Hey all,
Was looking for replacement for my 5+ yrs old Ford Ikon. Got a chance to drive Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion in our IT campus, Bangalore. Indeed Linea is class apart.

I have my 2nd car, Ford Figo Diesel which is like Siberian bull. Once the turbo kicks in(after about 2.2K rpm), the surge of torque what you can experience is simply amazing. I did not feel that kick of turbo torque in action in Fiat Linea Diesel. Has anyone experienced the same? Please comment.
Hemant, I drive the Petrol Linea with the naturally aspirated engine so wonít be able to comment on the turbo torque. I have driven on some bad roads in the city. The steering vibrations were not at any alarming level. Keeping my emotions aside for the love of the car Iíll say the steering handling of the Linea is the best in its segment.

I gave the car for its 12 month free servicing to Bharati Motors at Jogeshwari. I dropped the car at 11 AM. I have bought the car from Wasan Motors with the service center at Kandivali. I decided to try Bharati after reading some reviews that itís a new dealership and their service standards are better. I didnít have to wait too long for the service advisor to attend me. I had read about Fiat was remapping the ECU for more cooling of the Air Conditioning. Inquired about it with the advisor. For the oil change I informed the advisor that I am aware the engine needs 3.3 liters of the Selenia oil. I need the remaining oil from the can of 4 liters which I am buying. I explained the issue which I was facing with the gear shifts. After the engine heats up with around 1 hour of driving the gears donít slot easily into the 1st, 2nd, and reverse. This is the only problem which I have faced in the car and I want that to be rectified.
Rough estimate for the cost of oil and all filters which would be replaced Ė Rs 5000.

The service center here was alongside the showroom. I wanted to check out the T Jet. I walked into the showroom and inquired for the T Jet. A Fiat representative attended me. He started to explain about the car. I interrupted him and told that I already own a Linea E+ and have read about the T Jet so just want to know the differences. He pointed out the T Jet plus and asked if I would like a test drive. I readily agreed. I donít want to give a review of the car as itís already there on Team BHP.

Itís definitely more fun to drive.

After the drive I asked the representative how much will I get for my old car if I wanted to replace it with the T Jet. He said his evaluators will examine my car and heíll let me know. I left for office which is very close.

I got a call from the advisor by 4 PM. He said the car is taken out for the road test. After that heíll put it for washing and I can collect it by around 530 Ė 6 PM. Total cost Rs 3099. For the oil, I was told that I am being billed only for 3.5 liters which was used. I got the SMS that the car is ready after servicing at 5 PM. I collected the car at 620 PM. The service advisor wasnít present as his shift was over and it was closing time. An admin person told me the total bill was Rs 3099. I checked the car before signing the papers. Annoyed to see some large dealer stickers stuck on the boot just below the Linea insignia. I asked the cashier if anyone can remove those stickers as they look ugly. ďSorry Sir all staff has goneĒ I saw that the car was washed clean at least. I checked the oil using the dip stick. It was new and at full level. Checked the boot for my car cover the tool kit and spare wheel. Signed the papers and paid using my credit card. Checked with the sales guy in the showroom about the exchange for the T Jet. He said he couldnít get the evaluators quote. I said only if I get a good price for my Linea will I buy the T Jet or else Iíll continue driving it for another 3 years at least. I have no car loan and am enjoying a debt free car. The car felt marginally more smoother to drive. As per the service statements the gear lever was oiled to make the shifts smoother
but I still find that the 1st gear change and reverse is not smooth when the engine is hot.

Got a call yesterday from Fiat India for a feedback on the servicing. I had to rate from 1 to 10 where 1 is Extremely dissatisfied and 10 is completely
satisfied. Overall Rating I gave was 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-picture-024.jpg  

Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-picture-025.jpg  

Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-picture-027.jpg  

RajBajwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Hi Hemant! In India, Punto and Linea MJD ECU mapping is done for Linear power. So you wont feel the turbo kicking off. So this reduces the turbo lag as you find in a Figo. Punto and Linea are far better to drive in city traffic conditions.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Agreed that ECU mapping for linear power makes it more drivable in the city but looses its real characteristics as diesel vehicle, which is known for its high torque under lower RPMs. BTW, Figo has some turbo lag but i felt absolute breeze within city, as mostly i drive.

However, i enjoyed the driving both MJD and Duratorq, they have unique abilities when it comes to engine performance.

How do you find steering feedback on rough roads? esp in Linea?
hemantbsutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 15:03   #54
BHPian

Default Re: Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!

I haven't been updating the diary for some time. But yes I still love the car as much I did two years ago.

The car completed two years on October 15th.

How's the journey so far?

Well, let me put it this way.

Ever had a crush on say the hottest girl in college? You woo her and finally get married to her. However somewhere you'll have the feeling if she's she out of our league. Owing a Linea is something like that.

The prettiest looking car that I could afford to buy. I still sometimes wonder whether she's in my league. The beautiful car comes with it's fair share of high maintenance. Meaning tantrums.

The tantrums are breaking down for silly reasons. Clutch Problems. Some failure with electronics. You keep taking her to these Service centers. The people there don't understand you and your beauty. You haggle with the Tata Guys. Have some sleepless nights when you know that your beauty is not in perfect condition due to some failure.

The other problem with a beauty of this proportion is losing sleep when some kids in the building tarnish her. Every scratch on the car hurts you like some one scraping your heart out. Those kids won't understand. I guess they do. The car attracts them on their cycles and they stick to the car and scrape the paint with pensils. Why oh Why????

The car needs love which only a true Fiatan can give. Many criticise the Fiat Brand and the sales of the Linea have dropped to scary proportions where you wonder if the guys will stay in business or shut shop.

I don't think the Linea will emerge again in a country where the average buyers thinks like

Average kitna Deti hain? (What's the gas mileage of the car?)
Resale Value kya hain ? (What's the resale value of the car?)
Arrey yaar Honda to Honda hain. Honda City ka jo tashan hain woh yeh Fiat main kahan (Honda City give me that feeling of being seen as a rich guy which Fiat won't give)

No offence to any Honda City owners. I like that car.

My mind tells me that the Honda City is a better car in terms of reliability, resale value and all things associated with japanese cars. However my heart goes out for the Fiat Linea.

This is something like comparing the IBM based Microsoft PC with an Apple Computer. Although the PC is sold more. It's used by all and easy to use. Apple on the other hand needs specific compatible softwares which are more expensive. However you'll find only the apple users saying that they LOVE their computers and not any PC user.

Fiat is like that. There's some passion in making these cars. There's some legacy in the Italian marquee. There's history. There's that soul in the car.

I'll admit the Linea hasn't been that reliable.

Will I recommend it to others?
The question will be how much do you love automobiles. Do you connect with cars on a level other than what the mind tells you. BHP, Torque, Reliability, Resale Value, Mileage etc...

If the Fiat brand excites you. If your heart skips a beat when you see a Linea then buy it. If for you a car is only about going from point to point B. Then the Linea is not for you.

Latest Pictures.

Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-24102011.jpg

Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-24102011001.jpg

Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-24102011002.jpg

Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-24102011003.jpg

Why Do I Love my Fiat Linea !!!-24102011004.jpg
RajBajwa is offline   Reply With Quote