Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th March 2010, 10:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats @vnk77 on your new purchase. Drive safe. BTW which issues were making you visit the MASS regularly. Wagon R is fairly no nonsense. Atleast the one in our family. Next: Any particular reasons for the color choice ? Didn't the black or white please you ?

Last edited by prince_pervez : 29th March 2010 at 10:16.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 10:21   #17
BHPian

Many congrats, Its good that you heard to your heart and went ahead with AT. This AT is too good. Overtaking is so enjoying just put some pressure and the feeling of extra power is awesome.

What additions are coming up? Are you upgrading to broader tyres as well?
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 11:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Hey vnk77,
Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the proud ANHC club. Incidentally I own the same color and I will tell you that it's very easy to maintain. You can't make out whether the car is dusted at all.

Great picture. Expect to hear more about your initial ownership and there seems to be flurry of AT's these days.
Thanks Jay, Will surely post initial ownership experience in about week. Yes you are right, the dust blends with the color of the car ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Vnk77, you've probably made the Best choice of your recent past!!! Way to go Buddy...........I have been thinking about the same from a while now so just would want to know if there is any noticable drop in the powertrain with AC On??
I have never tried switching off AC. And more over since the interior is beige in color I don't think it would be wise to keep the windows open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Congrats @vnk77 on your new purchase. Drive safe. BTW which issues were making you visit the MASS regularly. Wagon R is fairly no nonsense. Atleast the one in our family. Next: Any particular reasons for the color choice ? Didn't the black or white please you ?
Clutch was giving me lot of trouble. The suspensions and shocks were bad. Got them replaced once but still the car used to roll a lot. I got the clutch plates replace twice...then I realized probably I am doing something wrong with the clutch and that is another reason to go for AT. And more over back seat experience was deteriorating day by day. And I had done about 81K+ KMs.

Black on ANHC looks just too good, but even a small amount of dust makes the car look ugly so decided against it. I am not a big fan of white colors on the car so ruled that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Many congrats, Its good that you heard to your heart and went ahead with AT. This AT is too good. Overtaking is so enjoying just put some pressure and the feeling of extra power is awesome.

What additions are coming up? Are you upgrading to broader tyres as well?
Thanks! I am not touching the tires as of now. Just planning to get leather seats done. I wont add up any thing that would void the warranty. May be after 4 years when warranty period is over I can think of wider tires. Right now I got Micheline tiers
vnk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 15:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
- It felt like an elephant ride every time the car went over Bangalore's hillocks,
i mean speed breakers, and over various small and large pot holes. My wife
refused to sit in the back seat of the car as she felt nauseating every time
the drive duration crossed 20 mins. My mother also had the same complaint.

- back seat was not sufficient for 3 people to sit comfortably.
Congratulations VNK, thats indeed a great upgrade !! would love to see more pics, interiors in particular. Enjoy the ride and drive safe.

I have a question on the GC, how do you feel when you are negotiating huge speedbreakers with your new car, especially when the car has 4 - 5 people onboard. On that point, are 3 adults able to conveniently sit in the rear and stretch/move their legs if need be ?
kartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 16:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I have been thinking about the same from a while now so just would want to know if there is any noticable drop in the powertrain with AC On??
I have owned an ANHC for three months now and have not noticed this at all. Prior to this, we had a Santro and I did see some drop in the powertrain with the AC on.

I am yet to drive on Ghat roads on the ANHC so I guess 'StarVegabond' or some of the other well travelled ANHC owners can answer this question much better.

Many congratulations on your new purchase, vnk77. Welcome to the ANHC club.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 29th March 2010 at 16:22.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 16:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
I have owned an ANHC for three months now and have not noticed this at all. Prior to this, we had a Santro and I did see some drop in the powertrain with the AC on.

I am yet to drive on Ghat roads on the ANHC so I guess 'StarVegabond' or some of the other well travelled ANHC owners can answer this question much better.

Many congratulations on your new purchase, vnk77. Welcome to the ANHC club.
I did drive it on ghat sections (Ooty, Yelagiri) with AC through out and I never felt the drop in the power. Earlier with my Santro I had to switch off the AC when taking a steep or while overtaking if I need more power.

I never felt it underpower when AC is on.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 17:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartho View Post
Congratulations VNK, thats indeed a great upgrade !! would love to see more pics, interiors in particular. Enjoy the ride and drive safe.

I have a question on the GC, how do you feel when you are negotiating huge speedbreakers with your new car, especially when the car has 4 - 5 people onboard. On that point, are 3 adults able to conveniently sit in the rear and stretch/move their legs if need be ?
Thanks Kartho. Huge speadbreakers are a known problem with ANHC. I got to live with this. 3 adults can sit comfortably in the rear. Leg room should not be a problem There is a little bump/mound on the floor at the center which might cause a little discomfort to the center passenger, but that also should not be too much botheration.

I would post the interior pics after I get the leather seats done.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vnk77,

Congratulations on your purchase of the NHC!

The color looks excellent.

What is the speciality of having an IND number plate? What would be the cost?

regards,

Nitin.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 19:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Vnk77,

Congratulations on your purchase of the NHC!

The color looks excellent.

What is the speciality of having an IND number plate? What would be the cost?

regards,

Nitin.
Thanks Nitin.

There is nothing special as such, just that it looks better than the boring number plate that White field Honda gives with the car. It costs about Rs. 950
Old 29th March 2010, 21:01   #25
BHPian

Now for some recap of initial experience with the car. Since I have driven a Wagon-R for close to 6 years and nothing else most of my comparisons will be made with that car.

The day I took out the car from the show room, I drove with extreme cautiousness. The RPM levels at which I used to change gears in my old Wagon-R is quite different from the levels the AT system does in this car does. I used to change the gears at about 2K RPM but here it does any where between 3-4K RPMs. I took some time to get adjusted to this.

Also that moving FE indicator is very distracting. Unconsciously I tend to look at it quite often and get a little worried when the dots show less than 10 kmpl . When I reached home from the show room the FE shown was about 8.5 kmpl. Sunday I went for a not so long drive of about 50+ KMs till this Highway restaurant called "Kamat Lokaruchi" just beyond Ramnagara (Place where Sholay was shot). After that trip the FE is now showing the number as 9.8kmpl. I know it improves after couple of services, but I am yet to come out of that Wagon-R mind set. I am now trying hard to stop looking at FE indicator. Other owners of ANHC please let me know what was the FE figure like before first service?

Over all I find the driving effortless. Getting rid of clutch operations will probably make sure that my knee joints will last for 10 more years. Overtaking is fun now. But I still feel a bit shaky at times while overtaking because I am yet to get used to the width of the car, so I do it only if there is ample opportunity for overtaking. Other wise its extremly easy and I dont have to plan the overtaking much earlier as I used to do it in my Wagon-R.

Maneuvering the car in the city traffic quite easy. I was initially skeptical about it thinking that the front bonnet is very big and its going to be an issue. But that's not the case. Driving on highway gives a lot of confidence than my old car. I don't get that flying feeling while overtaking in highway that I used to get with Wagon-R. The car seems well planted on the road. The steering is also perfect, not very light not very tight, suites me fine.

Another big boon of this car is driving position. In Wagon-R my knees used to be bent almost 90 degrees while driving and as a result I had to bend my ankles a bit too much to reach the clutch and accelerator pedals. This was very uncomfortable for long drives as well as in B2B traffic of Bangalore. But here I can easily stretch my legs and feel relaxed. Absolutely no strain on either ankle or calf muscles. Even after sliding the driving seat towards back the leg room left in the rear seat is huge.

The engine is almost quite when idling and the sound of it when accelerated is like Jazz music. I am still yet to discover the right combination of when and how to use the D mode and S mode. But from my 5 days with this car I think in D mode it accelerates at normal level and in S mode the acceleration is steep. I still need to do some experimenting here before I could decide on the best driving method for city and highway. Any inputs are welcome.

The AC is quite effective but not an absolute chiller. I have installed sun film on all the glasses including front wind shield. I think for the heat in Bangalore the AC is quite sufficient. One thing that Honda could have done is it could have given a separate mode/button for diverting the air to rear AC vents which are located under the front seats. Currently we have to put the AC in leg/face direction which also diverts the cool air to rear vents. This lands up freezing my legs. I don't wear shoes while driving except when I am commuting to/from office.

After seeing Wagon-R for close to 6 years, my family feels that the rear space is like a cricket stadium. Huge amount of space and very comfortable. I find only two major problems with the interior design. One is the beige color, which is tough to maintain. And another is lack of proper bottle holder to hold a 1Lt bottle. Ours is a water drinking family, every body drinks huge amount of water every day and these half liter bottles for long drives are just not sufficient.

The boot space is big, but I guess they could have provided some hooks to hang small/light bag just the way they have given in Jazz. Any small bag in the boot makes lot of thud noises when ever I break or go over humps and bad road. I need to figure out a way to secure such contents of the boot so that they don't dance in the boot. Any suggestions here?

The music system is just decent. I had Blaupunkt system in Wagon-R and it was an excellent piece. Crystal clear sound perfect bass and treble balance. Compared to that the stock music system in ANHC is just average. USB connectivity is boon for me. I don't yet own an IPOD, but planning to buy one now. I am using a USB pen drive as of now.

OT: I had a ipod nano earlier (first generation) but there was problem with that model, that when ever the battery discharged completely all the contents of the ipod got erased and I had to copy everything all over again. Does this problem exist in current generation of ipod nano?

Right now I am driving with all the plastic covers still on the seat. I will get the leather seats done by this week and then post the pictures of the interiors.

Will post more later.
Old 29th March 2010, 23:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Also that moving FE indicator is very distracting. Unconsciously I tend to look at it quite often and get a little worried when the dots show less than 10 kmpl . When I reached home from the show room the FE shown was about 8.5 kmpl. Sunday I went for a not so long drive of about 50+ KMs till this Highway restaurant called "Kamat Lokaruchi" just beyond Ramnagara (Place where Sholay was shot). After that trip the FE is now showing the number as 9.8kmpl. I know it improves after couple of services, but I am yet to come out of that Wagon-R mind set. I am now trying hard to stop looking at FE indicator. Other owners of ANHC please let me know what was the FE figure like before first service?
FE for bangalore traffic can range from 9-10 kmpl for Auto ANHC. Highways can range anywhere between 14 to 18 kmpl. Got 18 kmpl on the chennai highway going to hogenikkal, maintained constant speed about 100. I am driving Silver ANHC V-AT from 4 months, so this is my experince on FE. Pretty much satisfied with it.

I drove to mysore from bangalore on sunday, through indiranagar and JP nagar and back to bangalore at indirananagar. FE was around 15.5 kmpl.

Last edited by shamanth : 29th March 2010 at 23:15.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 23:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

The colour looks wicked

Love the car and have to congratulate you. Wide choice of cars you had in mind and non fairly related to each other in usage.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 00:30   #28
BHPian

hey congratz buddy..!
Thats a great looking car you got there.
Excellent pics and do update this thread regularly..
Do post a few interior pics as well.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 09:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:

The boot space is big, but I guess they could have provided some hooks to hang small/light bag just the way they have given in Jazz. Any small bag in the boot makes lot of thud noises when ever I break or go over humps and bad road. I need to figure out a way to secure such contents of the boot so that they don't dance in the boot. Any suggestions here?
This is one irritating thing even for me, the night reflectors (box) provided sounds annoying, I solved this issue by pasting twin-sided adhesive tapes. With this the box is stuck to the boot carpet, and a little effort would detach it.

Regarding the small bags, I stack it to the rear seat as close as possible and this solves the issue for most of the time.

Quote:

OT: I had a ipod nano earlier (first generation) but there was problem with that model, that when ever the battery discharged completely all the contents of the ipod got erased and I had to copy everything all over again. Does this problem exist in current generation of ipod nano?
No.

IPOD gets charged when connected to USB, so you can be assured that the battery would never drain (as long as it's connected).
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 11:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
The colour looks wicked

Love the car and have to congratulate you. Wide choice of cars you had in mind and non fairly related to each other in usage.
I initially wanted a hatch. But non of the existing ones appealed to me. Finally I had to overstretch a bit and go for ANHC.