Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd April 2010, 18:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

If you mobile has GPS, then you can download Google maps and use them. This will just let you know where you are and will not help in routing.

MMI maps are the best so far. They run on Garmin also. I am using that. The only place, so far, that I found them not having the road plotted was in Coorg. And surprisingly, they had plotted the road near my brothers place in Trichy, which is still more like a no mans land!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:39   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Bosa da - my primary requiremnt is good positioning rather than navigation. All I want is a device which would tell me where I am on a map and I can take care from there on Is RoadPilot a good VFM from that perspective?
CD, sorry for the long ramble. I work in connectivity space so tend to get carried away on these topics.

Yes, if all you want is position fix then GPRS with google maps will be a approximation. The technology used nearby base stations lat/long to triangulate your location but will have errors upto 2 km in places like coorg/ooty where the base-stations are far apart. You have no other option but GPS for an accurate fix.

Roadpilot is awesome VFM. No two thoughts about it.
Bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:51   #63
BHPian

I have a question for the Safari veterans.

- I hear a squishing sound from the suspensions when I cross humps or equivalent. This was not there initially but started after the wheel alignment and first service. Concorde service says it is normal and promised me to show me the exact origin next time I take the truck to them.
Old 24th April 2010, 00:36   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If you mobile has GPS, then you can download Google maps and use them. This will just let you know where you are and will not help in routing.
Thats not true. Google Maps now do help you in routing. Infact their maps are quite up-to-date and also give very good detailed routing turn by turn with distance.

Infact, even if your phone does not have an inbuilt GPS, google maps are able to position you well (but some amount of user's self inference will also be required then to gauge the exact position as GMaps position would be approximate in this case)

Problems though -
1. You need to be a cellular coverage area (problematic in remote areas)
2. Will consume lot of battery (especially if you have in-built GPS)
3. The positioning and map is approximately accurate. This is in comparison with the SatNav GPS device that I have, which maps each and every turn on road very precisely (its really helpful for night driving on unknown highways, help you gauge road curvature and turn intensity much in advance, thus you can control car speed well and avoid unnecessary braking) . GMaps are more approximate in that case, but will serve the purpose.

Reliance Retail had an offer going on a few days back where they were offering SatNav GPS for Rs. 7K with 3 years package (3 Maps upgrade). I am really happy with the device and has been helping me very well in unknown areas.
keyurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 11:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
I have a question for the Safari veterans.

- I hear a squishing sound from the suspensions when I cross humps or equivalent. This was not there initially but started after the wheel alignment and first service. Concorde service says it is normal and promised me to show me the exact origin next time I take the truck to them.
Thanks for the input on Roadpilot. I am looking for an El Cheapo navigation device that is not a mobile fone. So I presume, this serves the purpose.

The squishing sound is perfectly normal. Ive been hearing that for 2 years now. I think its from the shock absorbers as they release, or something like that. No cause for concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
Reliance Retail had an offer going on a few days back where they were offering SatNav GPS for Rs. 7K with 3 years package (3 Maps upgrade). I am really happy with the device and has been helping me very well in unknown areas.
Is it possible for you to share the model number of the Sat nav device or a link to its availability?

Regards,

Jay
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 13:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats not true. Google Maps now do help you in routing. Infact their maps are quite up-to-date and also give very good detailed routing turn by turn with distance....
Routing in Google maps availability on their website is known, did not know that they are currently providing routing real time on hand held. What application are you using?

Quote:
...Infact, even if your phone does not have an inbuilt GPS, google maps are able to position you well (but some amount of user's self inference will also be required then to gauge the exact position as GMaps position would be approximate in this case)...
Phone towers is using AGPS and plotting your position on the Google map (it can be any map source for that matter) on your device. This is similar to what would happen if you give a co-ordinate (Lat & Lon) on Google maps.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 16:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
@ Bose: Great choice and congratulations on the beast.

I had bought a 5800 Xpressmusic just for the maps and after buying it I realised it has maps of only for 5-6 major cities in India. That' a good 13 K gone down the drain.

I think the Gramin thing offered by Map my India is some what better. Any views???
Try downloading and installing Google Maps for Nokia. I think it is available on Ovi Store, otherwise just search in the phone's browser.

It's free, and with GPS (if your phone has it) can even tell you where you are fairly accurately. Without, it uses the nearest GSM tower to give you an estimate between 50 and 1600 Metres.

Used this on my trip to Goa last year. It was Very useful, although maybe not as much as a full fledged GPS Navigation device. saves you 8k though
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 16:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
In that case all you need is a GPRS/WAP enabled phone with google maps.
MC - I already have Google Maps on my BlackBerry but it is no good if I am out of GPRS coverage area/network, which I tend to quite often

Quote:
Google Maps now do help you in routing
That is correct. Google Maps for mobiles now come with excellent features like detailed routing, positioning (approximate, subject to density of n/w towers) and even voice based search (beta) and all this for free!! My only gripes are:

a. This whole setup falls apart if I am out of GPRS coverage area
b. Positioning is approximate

Quote:
Have never seen SatNav maps. How good are they compared to MMI?

Bose da - sorry to hi-jack your thread

Quote:
Roadpilot is awesome VFM. No two thoughts about it.
I called up MMI today and they said that RP is out of stock!! Looks like it IS good VFM and is selling well.

Quote:
I hear a squishing sound from the suspensions when I cross humps or equivalent
As JSL said - do not worry about it. It's perfectly normal.

BTW - was your Safari undergoing some beauty treatment @ Favara accessories around 1:30 PM today?

Last edited by v12 : 24th April 2010 at 17:11. Reason: Please use the Edit option to avoid posting back to back posts within 20 mins.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 21:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Is it possible for you to share the model number of the Sat nav device or a link to its availability?

Regards,

Jay
Its a Mio C230 device. The device is being discontinued now is what I heard and hence the stock clearance sale. Frankly it very much meets all the requirements and is still supported with free map upgrades for next 3 years under the deal. Hence no worries if its discontinued. Good to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Routing in Google maps availability on their website is known, did not know that they are currently providing routing real time on hand held. What application are you using?

Phone towers is using AGPS and plotting your position on the Google map (it can be any map source for that matter) on your device. This is similar to what would happen if you give a co-ordinate (Lat & Lon) on Google maps.
Sir, Gmaps themselves have this routing feature now. It is nice and very updated too. It uses AGPS for initial lock (if your phone has GPS, and till the time GPS gets its lock) and for regular positioning for non GPS phones.

Quote:
MC - I already have Google Maps on my BlackBerry but it is no good if I am out of GPRS coverage area/network, which I tend to quite often

That is correct. Google Maps for mobiles now come with excellent features like detailed routing, positioning (approximate, subject to density of n/w towers) and even voice based search (beta) and all this for free!! My only gripes are:

a. This whole setup falls apart if I am out of GPRS coverage area
b. Positioning is approximate

Have never seen SatNav maps. How good are they compared to MMI?
Yes, that true.

Satnav maps are pretty good.As of now they are providing One India Map with 412 cities and 16 Lakh Point of Interests which covered all the National highways, state highways & district highways from Kashmir to Kanyakumari.

For further queries please their contact info is 040 66777333. Ext: 342,348

Have never used MMI, so can't compare.
keyurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 23:57   #70
BHPian

Quote:
BTW - was your Safari undergoing some beauty treatment @ Favara accessories around 1:30 PM today?
Not today. Looks like we have one more Safari in the whitefield area.

Thanks for all the feedback on the squishing sound.
Old 25th April 2010, 07:13   #71
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback on the squishing sound.
Bose - I dont know what exactly you mean by "squishing" sound. But, I do hear it when I go on the bumps (speed breakers) slowly and I am assuming its coming from body/chasis. I actually reported this in my first service and for about a week's time, that sound was not there. Then, it came back :(

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 13:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe so. This too was a Black/Real Earth GX (not sure if it was a 4x4 sicne I saw it parked inside Favara with its rear end facing the road).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Bose - I dont know what exactly you mean by "squishing" sound. But, I do hear it when I go on the bumps (speed breakers) slowly and I am assuming its coming from body/chasis. I actually reported this in my first service and for about a week's time, that sound was not there. Then, it came back
Prem - If I understand you and Bose da correctly, this is a 'swish' kind of a sound and is definitely not from the body or chassis but from the suspension, due to the normal action of the same. Nothing to worry about. It probably would have gone off for a week or so due to 'over-greasing' of the suspension by TASS
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 11:37   #73
BHPian

Quote:
How the Ipod cable was fixed. I can now place the Ipod in the glove. Not the most convenient but at least no holes.
Bose da, taking cue from your post, I did a similar DIY install of the iPod cable in my truck too. I have a iPod nano 5g (video)- noticed that it is not charging iPod. Music play is fine. Do you face the same issue too? Whats your model of HU, iPod and cable? I have asked this question here too.

OT:

Quote:
It even maps my parent's home in Durgapur, West bengal.
Where do you live in Durgapur? I grew up (~22 years) there, left around 1998. Miss a lot :(. Last visited sometime a year back or so- the place has changed so much that I had to inquire about directions to reach Chandidas from Cement Park

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 28th April 2010 at 11:40. Reason: ref post
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 20:29   #74
BHPian

I have not yet been able to test the iPod cable. My iPod recently got a wash along with the shirt. Does not charge eh? The belkin FM transmitter that I have used to charge the iPod for sure.

Durgapur city hard and strong, land of labour and toil ! <school anthem>

I have stayed mostly in BidhanNagar <DDA> but the first 10 years were in Edison B-Zone. Yes, it has changed a lot. Would love to stay and work there if there comes an option ever.
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:04   #75
BHPian

Great write-up of the trip from Bangalore to Goa... I almost did one on bike but then after the usual dropouts had to back off. Now you have inspired me again

Safari rear suspension - brings back memories from a long time ago. Correct me if I am wrong - its a panhard rod (5-link) suspension with coil springs. If they are, then I am sure the coil springs have rubber cups and they might be making the swish noise. Or maybe they have changed to gas-filled dampers. Since the service statios guy has promised to show you the origin of the noise... please do inform us when you come to know.

And finally - you stay in Kadugodi? I stayed there for close to 5 years - Sai Colony. Now I stay in Whitefield behind sterling suites since last Diwali. I have noted your lic. plate number and will flash you if I see you. I drive a red Chevy UV-A / ride a blue Yamaha RXZ.
XH_Vee is offline   Reply With Quote