Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th June 2010, 21:26   #76
BHPian

Found time to get back and write about the Safari again

~4000 km done so far. Addiction continues.

- Mileage of 12 given that I mostly do highways and maintain early office timings. AC on
- The swish of the suspension and the occasional sound from the rear door remains
- Great feel. The response at 2nd gear feels really nice. Pulls like a locomotive
- First and reverse gear slotting continue to be a random function. Need to know the science behind it
- Following the 30 sec rule diligently.
- Have gotten used to the new found respect from Indicas and Sumos and may I say Scorpios

Fishing trip to Ooty planned on 27th. Hope to engage the 4x4 and conquer the rains on the hills. Will post pictures.
Bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 22:10   #77
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
Found time to get back and write about the Safari again

~4000 km done so far. Addiction continues.

- Great feel. The response at 2nd gear feels really nice. Pulls like a locomotive
- First and reverse gear slotting continue to be a random function. Need to know the science behind it
Fishing trip to Ooty planned on 27th. Hope to engage the 4x4 and conquer the rains on the hills. Will post pictures.
Welcome back BOSE !
YES - Its really addictive.
2nd and 3rd gear (if you get a nice stretch b/w signals), its just awesome !
By the time, you get to know the science behind First and Reverse gear, the problem would have gone and you would know how to tackle it, hence, it wouldnt be a problem at all I think, for me, it just went away by itself - Either I got used to it OR the gear-box !

Looking fwd to your next trip with 4X4 ON !

Good luck and safe motoring
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 21:40   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH_Vee View Post
Great write-up of the trip from Bangalore to Goa... I almost did one on bike but then after the usual dropouts had to back off. Now you have inspired me again

Safari rear suspension - brings back memories from a long time ago. Correct me if I am wrong - its a panhard rod (5-link) suspension with coil springs. If they are, then I am sure the coil springs have rubber cups and they might be making the swish noise. Or maybe they have changed to gas-filled dampers. Since the service statios guy has promised to show you the origin of the noise... please do inform us when you come to know.

And finally - you stay in Kadugodi? I stayed there for close to 5 years - Sai Colony. Now I stay in Whitefield behind sterling suites since last Diwali. I have noted your lic. plate number and will flash you if I see you. I drive a red Chevy UV-A / ride a blue Yamaha RXZ.
- Thanks Vee. I will let you know about the "swish" once the service station enlightens me.
I normally take the OMR for office <due to the closed LC at Kadugodi> but will keep a watch for your UV-A in the weekends.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:33   #79
BHPian

Back from a weekend trip to Ooty. Safari maneuvered Nilgiris like a champ. Will update the trip details this weekend.

Name:  safari_avalanchi.JPG
Views: 2339
Size:  168.7 KB

Last edited by Bose : 30th June 2010 at 11:35.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:26   #80
BHPian

This was my third trip to the Nilgiris. What made it special was that this time the ride was a different breed. The truck had done about 5K before the trip. Got the 5K servicing done.

5K servicing - Asked them to check for the usual wheel alignment and the rear door squeak. Requested reduction of turning radius which did get implemented. Oil change only at 15K. Overall satisfied with the event.

Trip preparation - Took some advice from fellow BHPians on the Segur ghat route. Did that route with the Honda City in the past; wanted to know how the Safari responds. Will write about it in a minute. Did some basic reading on 4 wheel engaging rules for the Safari class; I was expecting rains and slush on the way.

Heres the travelogue said with pictures

Breakfast at Kamath
Name:  breakfast_at_kamath.JPG
Views: 2098
Size:  196.8 KB
The Road near Gundalpet/Bandipur has really improved from what I had seen 4 years back. Though the initial stretch between Mysore and Nanjangud is very patchy now.
Name:  road_towards_bandipur.JPG
Views: 2123
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  before_the_climb_at_bandipur.JPG
Views: 2105
Size:  38.1 KB
The Segur Ghat climb - This for me was a very critical section of the trip. I remember the last climb with the Honda City vividly. Reminded myself that I should not clutch and climb on a single gear. Relaxed the turbo for about 15 mins before the climb started. That would be right between Masinagudi and the point where the climb started. Misjudged the start of the climb and forgot to downshift to 2nd. Did the first two bends on 1st gear. Got a plain stretch and shifted to 2nd. <I wanted to avoid stressing the clutch>. Started climbing on 2nd. 2100 RPM, ~25 kmph. Acclerated at the bends. Climbed like a goat. The rest of the climb was the same routine. Had to clutch twice. First when a crawling Indica stopped me in the middle of a bend. Second when I let a swift pass by at the Kalahatti point. The temperature dial was stable. I made it a point never to go beyond 2100 RPM. Some turns were tight when I accelerated but the weight helped. The turbo whine was apparent but then the windows were rolled down. There is a nice stretch once you enter Ooty where the road is downhill. Kept at 2nd gear and let engine compression brake. Let the engine relax for those 5 mins of downhill climb. Mapmyindia got us to the hotel in 10 mins.

It was cold in Ooty. We were staying at King's Cliff
Name:  it_was_cold.JPG
Views: 2572
Size:  190.1 KB
And the fireplace was lovely. It was a welcome surprise for father.
Name:  the_lovely_fireplace.JPG
Views: 2018
Size:  116.5 KB
Safari looked Natural
Name:  i_am_a_natural.JPG
Views: 1982
Size:  161.5 KB
Next day morning at Breakfast
Name:  breakfast_time.JPG
Views: 1899
Size:  188.2 KB
Horse Ride for Khushi
Name:  horsie_horsie.JPG
Views: 2053
Size:  189.5 KB
Train ride to Conoor
Name:  ooty_station.JPG
Views: 1918
Size:  160.5 KB
Name:  ku_jhik_jhik.JPG
Views: 1845
Size:  193.4 KB
Tea Gardens at Conoor and the factory
Name:  conoor_tea_garden.JPG
Views: 1943
Size:  193.1 KB
Name:  garden_factory.JPG
Views: 1818
Size:  185.2 KB
Name:  let_us_pluck_leaves.JPG
Views: 1958
Size:  228.7 KB
Name:  tea_factory.JPG
Views: 2018
Size:  167.5 KB
Tea Tasting
Name:  tea_tasting.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  171.4 KB
Name:  all_of_us.JPG
Views: 1767
Size:  206.1 KB
Went to Sims Park from there. Amazed at the way they maintain the park
Name:  sims_park.JPG
Views: 2070
Size:  172.1 KB
Name:  flowers_sims_park.JPG
Views: 1821
Size:  172.5 KB

It was a Bright morning next day
Name:  bright_morning.JPG
Views: 1684
Size:  177.7 KB

We planned to go to avalanche next day. We had very fond memories from our red hills trip last time. Wanted to show the place to dad. The place till retains its unspoilt charm

Name:  avalanche.JPG
Views: 1817
Size:  185.3 KB
Name:  avalanche2.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  178.2 KB
Name:  safari_avalanchi.JPG
Views: 1750
Size:  168.7 KB
Name:  ooty_swiz.JPG
Views: 1872
Size:  134.2 KB
Had Lunch at Fernhills Palace on the way back. Saw Srikanta Wadiyar.
Name:  fernhill_palace.JPG
Views: 4063
Size:  183.1 KB
Name:  fernhill_rest.JPG
Views: 2479
Size:  185.4 KB
The Bar - I know .. I know
Name:  bar_at_fernhills.JPG
Views: 1577
Size:  194.7 KB

Some more flower shots
Name:  puprple_flower.JPG
Views: 1707
Size:  166.8 KB
Name:  vivid_colors.JPG
Views: 1618
Size:  160.5 KB

Came Back to Bangalore the next Day. Did the Gudalure route. Roads are fine now and much more scenic compared to Masinagudi.

Till the next trip .....
Old 5th July 2010, 22:41   #81
BHPian

Awesome pics+minimal writing to tell the story in short. Good one.
So, what's the odo reading now ?

Prem.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:09   #82
BHPian

Thanks Prem.
ODO reads 5902
Old 17th August 2010, 20:06   #83
BHPian

@kavi prem

does the alpine system come with ipod cable or do i have to buy is seperately, plus is there any after market fitment for bluetooth or usb in the deck

i am buying a safari gx would get my delivery next saturday

have the upgarded the ice or its the same cde-9870 alpine system

lovely pics by the way
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 05:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
@kavi prem

does the alpine system come with ipod cable or do i have to buy is seperately, plus is there any after market fitment for bluetooth or usb in the deck

i am buying a safari gx would get my delivery next saturday

have the upgarded the ice or its the same cde-9870 alpine system

lovely pics by the way
I guess, you are in the wrong thread (This is by Bose, not me), but doesnt matter

YES, Alpine system comes with the iPOD cable.
I havent checked out for bluetooth fitment, but, should be available though. For USB, I doubt.

In my opinion, stock HU in Safari is awesome given the fact that it supports DTS audio as well. Usually, Dolby Digital will be supported by any DVD HU and for DTS, its at least 3 or 4K more.
If you need more bass, you may either go for a 9X6 boxed speaker instead of rear-door speakers OR a small AMP+S.Woofer.
I have 9X6 Sony XPLOD that's good enough for a family and my music interest

Good luck on your Safari. Safe motoring.

Prem.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:37   #85
BHPian

Thanks kavi prem

sorry to miss that

apologies to BOSE

will check that ICE out

regards
Old 18th August 2010, 11:36   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
This was my third trip to the Nilgiris. What made it special was that this time the ride was a different breed. The truck had done about 5K before the trip. Got the 5K servicing done.

5K servicing - Asked them to check for the usual wheel alignment and the rear door squeak. Requested reduction of turning radius which did get implemented. Oil change only at 15K. Overall satisfied with the event.

Trip preparation - Took some advice from fellow BHPians on the Segur ghat route. Did that route with the Honda City in the past; wanted to know how the Safari responds. Will write about it in a minute. Did some basic reading on 4 wheel engaging rules for the Safari class; I was expecting rains and slush on the way.

Heres the travelogue said with pictures

Came Back to Bangalore the next Day. Did the Gudalure route. Roads are fine now and much more scenic compared to Masinagudi.

Till the next trip .....
Nice to see the pictures. I stayed with my family in June at this same Kingscliff, The place was a good stay but the food was not worth the money.

Did you notice this car parked there?
Attached Images

Last edited by agbenny : 18th August 2010 at 11:38.
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 05:53   #87
BHPian

Hi Bose,

Can u help with the links or the basic content on 4*4 basics of Safari?

Thanks
rageshbhaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 18:02   #88
BHPian

@bose

I am getting my Gx safari on saturday. the dealer has agreed to put reverse camera as free fitment though he is asking me whether he should install an LCD for the camera or do it with the parking sensor assembly and cut the supply to sensors

as you know Gx comes with reverse parking sensors and VX with camera so i am asking what should i do

install an small lcd and keep both operational or connect camera to the rear view mirror and make the sensors dis-operational

he is not taking the sensors back and plans to keep both
Old 31st August 2010, 19:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
@bose

I am getting my Gx safari on saturday. the dealer has agreed to put reverse camera as free fitment though he is asking me whether he should install an LCD for the camera or do it with the parking sensor assembly and cut the supply to sensors

as you know Gx comes with reverse parking sensors and VX with camera so i am asking what should i do

install an small lcd and keep both operational or connect camera to the rear view mirror and make the sensors dis-operational

he is not taking the sensors back and plans to keep both
Giving the cam for free ? Take it buddy
Go for an external display fit on dash in the right position such that it doesnt disturb your view or any place that you could potentially use.

Advanced wishes and congratulations !!!
Prem.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:44   #90
BHPian

@kavi prem

well he is generous and hopefully giving even the lcd free

so if i am not wrong u are suggesting that keep the sesors operational in the rear view mirror [stock]

and have extra lcd on dash for camera right