Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 09:35   #46
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitewheel View Post
Congrats on your purchase suhaas. I'm unaware of that faux carbon fiber finish. Whats that actually? Does it have any advantage? Will I be able to do that for my ANHC? If so is it being done by Honda?
Thank you, infinitewheel. The faux CF finish is just a cover/panel that replaces the regular finish. It doesn't have any advantage as such but it does look good. I'm not sure if it's available as an option on the ANHC. But you can find out and Honda should do it for you if it's available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Belated wishes, and the Japanese babe looks beautiful in Blue. Nice choice of Alloys, dash mod and seat covers. Interior looks hot, nicely done. Hope to spot you soon.
Thank you, Latheesh. Unfortunately, I haven't spotted your Sparky yet. But let's hope we bump into each other sometime! Ad then we'll go for a spin
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 10:44   #47
BHPian
 
lionell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jodhpur
Posts: 164
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Congratulations on the Jazz. The alloys look fantastic so does the CF finish on the dash.

Is the CF a new addition? As in available as an optional extra at the Honda showrooms... I haven't seen it on other vehicles.?


Edit:
read a response above. got the answer on the Cf question. thanks.

Last edited by lionell : 28th April 2010 at 10:55.
lionell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 11:14   #48
BHPian
 
Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BLR MCT
Posts: 427
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

COOL!! congrats!!

the JAZZ light looks awesome!

that is a tight parking space..!! how did you manage to get across with out touching the mirror to the column!
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 20:52   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Malapuram
Posts: 102
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Thanks Suhaas. Drive safe.
infinitewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 00:11   #50
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
that is a tight parking space..!! how did you manage to get across with out touching the mirror to the column!
That was a problem and unfortunately, it still is. Even after 6 months, we find it really annoying that our car doesn't come with automated-folding mirror. It would've been such a boon for us! But, we have to make sure that the mirror is closed before parking the car. And generally, the passenger always does it before exiting the car (since one can't exit once the car is parked inside, thanks to our Civic)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update!


Our Jazz was driven by my father to Srirangpatna and back a couple of months ago and we were absolutely amazed by the FE it returned on the highway! Within the city, it gives an 'ok' 11 kilometers to the litre but on the highway, it returned an amazing 19.5 kmpl! We were absolutely shocked!

So far, our Jazz has done a little over 3000 kilometers and yes, that is quite sparse. But we will start using it more often in the coming months.

So far, we're absolutely in love with it! And we regret taking our Civic for our recent pilgrimage (White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!). Before leaving, we'd actually checked to see if our Jazz's boot would be big enough for 5 large bags, and to our amazement, it is! In fact, it seemed to fit in better than in our Civic! This car is like a sedan trapped in a hatch-back's body!

The only reason why we picked the Civic over the Jazz was because we felt that the highway-manners of the Civic would be better. But we didn't really go beyond 140, except on one stretch near Tumkur.

We do have a few issues with the car, though.

- The automatic-folding mirrors are sorely missed!
- Climate control is missed as well!
- The car deserves better rubber! And it's on the cards!
- The initial acceleration is not something to write home about. It feels sluggish and could do with better bottom-end punch.
- Although the gears are butter-smooth, the ratios are oddly configured. 2nd and 3rd feel the same!

Expect all our future travelogues to be done with the Jazz in the pictures!

We're sold!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th October 2010 at 00:15.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 08:07   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Thank you all!



That was a problem and unfortunately, it still is. Even after 6 months, we find it really annoying that our car doesn't come with automated-folding mirror. It would've been such a boon for us! But, we have to make sure that the mirror is closed before parking the car. And generally, the passenger always does it before exiting the car (since one can't exit once the car is parked inside, thanks to our Civic)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update!


Our Jazz was driven by my father to Srirangpatna and back a couple of months ago and we were absolutely amazed by the FE it returned on the highway! Within the city, it gives an 'ok' 11 kilometers to the litre but on the highway, it returned an amazing 19.5 kmpl! We were absolutely shocked!

So far, our Jazz has done a little over 3000 kilometers and yes, that is quite sparse. But we will start using it more often in the coming months.

So far, we're absolutely in love with it! And we regret taking our Civic for our recent pilgrimage (White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!). Before leaving, we'd actually checked to see if our Jazz's boot would be big enough for 5 large bags, and to our amazement, it is! In fact, it seemed to fit in better than in our Civic! This car is like a sedan trapped in a hatch-back's body!

The only reason why we picked the Civic over the Jazz was because we felt that the highway-manners of the Civic would be better. But we didn't really go beyond 140, except on one stretch near Tumkur.

We do have a few issues with the car, though.

- The automatic-folding mirrors are sorely missed!
- Climate control is missed as well!
- The car deserves better rubber! And it's on the cards!
- The initial acceleration is not something to write home about. It feels sluggish and could do with better bottom-end punch.
- Although the gears are butter-smooth, the ratios are oddly configured. 2nd and 3rd feel the same!

Expect all our future travelogues to be done with the Jazz in the pictures!

We're sold!
Hey man, thanks for the nice update after a L O N G time!
3000 kms is way too less. Mine is almost 2500 kms without any long drives.
Hope to see more frequent updates going forward.


I agree with your observations about the car mostly -
1> Missing features - no folding mirrors, no ACC, no USB, no reading and boot light. I heard that the HU is bluetooth compatible, so why has Honda skimped on that?
2> I got Michelin XM1. What about you? I have not felt the lack of grip as yet. May be I need to push harder. Otherwise, have plans of better rubber after a couple of years.
3> Poor bottom-end/ low-end torque - As I said before things are fine as long as you are abobe 1800-2000 rpm. But I just love the way it races to the redline in no time. The only time when I feel the lack of punch is when I upshift to 2nd. After that, it's all rocking. I do not shift to 3rd before 40 kmph and I shift to 4th not before 70-80 kmph.
By the way, I happened to drive my friend's Civic some time back and though the overall experience was WOW, the bottom-end is nothing write home about. Ditto for the City! So, I guess Honda I-Vtec's do not have strong bottom end in general but they more than compensate for it by the refinement, smoothness and eagerness to rev all the way to the redline.
4>Can you elaborate a bit more on the gear ratios? I find the 2nd to be very tall. If it would have been little shorter, the initial acceleration might have been better.


My city FE is a very respectable 11-11.5 kmpl (100%AC), even with my not-so-environment-friendly driving style.

Whatever little expressway runs I have done, the MID has shown FE of 18-19 kmpl with cruising speeds of around 100 kmph.

From my limited experience, of driving to and from the airport with a full load of passengers and boot full of luggage, I am very impressed with the expressway capabilities of the car. The car feels quite stable and you can cruise easily at 120+ kmph and will go much higher if you want.

Last edited by adimicra : 26th October 2010 at 08:08.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 08:46   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey man, thanks for the nice update after a L O N G time!
3000 kms is way too less. Mine is almost 2500 kms without any long drives.
Hope to see more frequent updates going forward.
Thank you!

Yup! It's not much, but do expect some long drives soon and more travelogues!


Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I agree with your observations about the car mostly -
1> Missing features - no folding mirrors, no ACC, no USB, no reading and boot light. I heard that the HU is bluetooth compatible, so why has Honda skimped on that?
Is there anyway one could retro-fit the folding mechanism? We really miss it and it would be great if we could install the automatic folding mirrors! Bluetooth should have been provided considering that rival companies provide their cars with it! At least it comes with an AUX port!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
2> I got Michelin XM1. What about you? I have not felt the lack of grip as yet. May be I need to push harder. Otherwise, have plans of better rubber after a couple of years.
We are stuck with MRFs. Although they are OK, I would've preferred the Michelins. In all probability, we might up-size our tyres, but not sure as to when we'd do that! It's up-to my dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
3> Poor bottom-end/ low-end torque - As I said before things are fine as long as you are abobe 1800-2000 rpm. But I just love the way it races to the redline in no time. The only time when I feel the lack of punch is when I upshift to 2nd. After that, it's all rocking. I do not shift to 3rd before 40 kmph and I shift to 4th not before 70-80 kmph.
By the way, I happened to drive my friend's Civic some time back and though the overall experience was WOW, the bottom-end is nothing write home about. Ditto for the City! So, I guess Honda I-Vtec's do not have strong bottom end in general but they more than compensate for it by the refinement, smoothness and eagerness to rev all the way to the redline.
4>Can you elaborate a bit more on the gear ratios? I find the 2nd to be very tall. If it would have been little shorter, the initial acceleration might have been better.
The car can cruise in 5th gear while doing 50, but if you need to overtake something in front of you, you need to drop not one, but two gears to get it into the powerband! 2nd and 3rd gears are very, very tall and you can hold onto it for quite a long time! But once you're beyond 3k RPM, the car flies!

It's a known fact that Hondas love to be revved! You need to revv the nuts off of it to get your power and despite that, they return pretty decent FE figures!

The Civic, IMO does deliver on initial acceleration! It's blindingly fast when you give it the beans unlike the Jazz that seems to take an eternity to pick up speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My city FE is a very respectable 11-11.5 kmpl (100%AC), even with my not-so-environment-friendly driving style.

Whatever little expressway runs I have done, the MID has shown FE of 18-19 kmpl with cruising speeds of around 100 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
From my limited experience, of driving to and from the airport with a full load of passengers and boot full of luggage, I am very impressed with the expressway capabilities of the car. The car feels quite stable and you can cruise easily at 120+ kmph and will go much higher if you want.
Isn't it great! We love it for its ability to sniff fuel and cover distances! Wish we had taken her to Goa instead of taking the Civic! Buuuuut.. there is always a next time!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 11:00   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

I will think twice about upsizing the tires as the ride quality is already on the stiffer side. Upsizing with lower profile tires means it will get even more stiffer.

The MRF's are pretty much useless. I guess you did not insist on Michelins during your car delivery. I got the Michelin XM1 as stock tires.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 12:25   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I will think twice about upsizing the tires as the ride quality is already on the stiffer side. Upsizing with lower profile tires means it will get even more stiffer.

The MRF's are pretty much useless. I guess you did not insist on Michelins during your car delivery. I got the Michelin XM1 as stock tires.
Upside to a wider tyre. Wouldn't want to go in for lower-profile tyres. that would affect the ride quality and my lovely wheels would be vulnerable to nasty pot-holes too. Especially since we're taking her for our longer journeys, I'd prefer to stick to high profile rubber!

Yup! We didn't insist on the Michelins and that's precisely why we're stuck with the MRFs. No offense to those who like 'em!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 21:36   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 101
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

My Jazz has done 5K kms. Our 9 day trip to Maharashtra, we took the Swift Diesel precisely for the lack of acceleration in the Jazz.
When you need to overtake, it takes forever in the Jazz (as we found out in our trip to Munnar). You need to downshift and then only after 3000 rpm, the car starts moving.

Bought the Jazz in May '10. The Select edition. So far have seen only one more Select edition in Maharashtra. Haven't come across one in Bangalore.
I paid 8.6 laks for the select edition. Got the door sidestep garnish and fog lamps with the car (bargained). Insisted on Michelin Energy XM1 tyres for the car and got them. Thinking of upgrading to 195/60 Primacy LC Michelin tyres.

The Jazz X is around 9.15 laks in Bangalore.

I've seen rust on the car door. In the first service, they touched it up.
Have seen it again, this time on the same front left door. Im surprised at this.

One of the dicky rubber stopper has fallen off and the dicky rattles.

Dislikes about the car.
  • The rear high mounted stop light could have been like the swift.
  • Atleast two trip meters. Right now there's only a single trip meter. Used to two trip meters in the Swift.
  • Single roof mounted light in the middle. This is not sufficient. There should have been one in the front and also one in the boot.
  • Select edition – spare wheel is not an alloy wheel.
  • Rear 12v socket could have been added
What I like about the car:
  • all round visibility is excellent.
  • engine is very refined.
  • controls within easy reach
  • brakes are very effective when compared to the Swift.
  • Pleasure to drive in the city.
I got a K&N filter (OE) installed. The acceleration has improved.
To describe it, at 2000 rpm, the engine wakes up. 2500 rpm, it realises that it needs to get going. At 3000 rpm, the engine starts growling (only the sound) and starts pulling. This is true in almost all the gears.

After replacing the stock filter, the engine noise has increased.

Regards
Ravi.

Last edited by iridium : 26th October 2010 at 21:41.
iridium is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:08   #56
BHPian
 
harryskt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Hello suhaas and other Jazz owners; I will e taking the delivery of my 2012 Black Jazz SMT, day after tomorrow. The posts in this thread have been extremely useful in assessing Jazz's long term ownership.
It would be very helpful if you can share your inputs for:
- Any recommendations for parking sensors? Any specific brands ad shops in Bangalore?
- Does Jazz have a tow bar at the rear? I want to fix a cycle career (Thule) to it.
Thanks!
harryskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 00:03   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: All Jazz'd up! :: Initial Ownership Report

Congratulations on your latest acquisition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryskt View Post
- Any recommendations for parking sensors? Any specific brands ad shops in Bangalore?
You could get them. The Jazz is a fairly long car and the rear windscreen is woefully small. Add to that the brake-light that hinders visibility. No specific brand, but it would be recommended to get it at Honda itself. You don't want to be held liable when something goes wrong. It's worth that little extra, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryskt View Post
- Does Jazz have a tow bar at the rear? I want to fix a cycle career (Thule) to it.
Thanks!
Not sure about this but I'm sure you could mount a cycle behind the rear door. Thule is a good option.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 06:12   #58
BHPian
 
harryskt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Thanks suhaas, will check with the dealer for the parking sensor.
I will also ask them about this rear carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
but it would be recommended to get it at Honda itself. You don't want to be held liable when something goes wrong. It's worth that little extra, IMO.

Not sure about this but I'm sure you could mount a cycle behind the rear door. Thule is a good option.
I remember asking the dealer about this last week and i think they quoted 16,000 /- for it! Isn't that too expensive?
How much do you think I should spend on it?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2012 at 12:20. Reason: Please avoid putting-up consecutive posts. Use the 'Edit' function henceforth. Thanks :)
harryskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:27   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: All Jazz'd up! :: Initial Ownership Report

^^ 16k for the rear-view camera or 16k for the Thule cycle rack?

I'm not sure about the prices, but you could do a quick search of all the reliable auto-accessory shops and get in touch with them for the prices. I remember we were quoted a similar price by Whitefield Honda for the camera.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 13:43   #60
BHPian
 
harryskt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
^^ 16k for the rear-view camera or 16k for the Thule cycle rack?

I'm not sure about the prices, but you could do a quick search of all the reliable auto-accessory shops and get in touch with them for the prices. I remember we were quoted a similar price by Whitefield Honda for the camera.
They quoted that for the parking sensor with camera.
Anyways, I have got a hilife Parking sensor with camera fixed, yesterday. It costed me 6000/- . It's good.
harryskt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Jazz ownership report! bijujj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 29th December 2015 20:16
Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X Peregrine Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 19 11th October 2012 15:53
My Xeta - An Initial ownership report EDIT: 25000kms report on Pg.2 rock18 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 33 24th March 2011 00:13
Honda Jazz Initial Ownership Report manu7781 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 19th January 2010 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks