Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th May 2010, 17:24   #16
BHPian

Hi Blackhawk

Welcome to Storm Effect. Happy to know about the discount you got. I paid Rs. 7.79 L on road. Few inputs in bold

1) Engine: Powerful, will only know its true potential after the run-in period. Hopes its over by now. Keep in in 1800 to 2200 rpm band and enjoy the power

2) Suspension: A little bouncy but takes the potholes/ditches etc with ease.
Bouncy compared to cars - yes but make sure tyre pressure is recommended 30psi. Air filling attendents have the tendency to fill 35psi

3) Power Steering: No effort required.
4) A/c: Quite powerful, has a good air filtering system attached behind the front bumper.
5) Spacious Interiors.
6) Voice Assistance: Warns of low fuel and seat belts. Can be irrtating after few days. One smart move by M&M. You can selectivly switch them off

7) Head Lights: Powerful and adjustable; like the SCORPIO's
8) The front seats are nice and comfortable, not sure what material is used / stuffed.

Dislikes:

1) The horrible black dash and central consol; looks very very cheap.
2) The Accelerator, Break and Clutch pedals are not positioned for comfort, they could have pushed them just a little back and placed them lower.
Its a Jeep

3) The puny looking MP3 system and MAHINDRA speakers.
Change the head console and check. Speakers are not that bad

4) Location of the front speakers; they are located right behind the bonnet release lever!!!
5) The gear shifting is not easy; may be it will smoothen after use.
Hard compared to cars but positive. It never slips

6) Poor finishing of the upholstery; found the stichings of the head rest coming off!!
7) The middle rear seat cannot be folded.
I agree. I am planning to make it foldable too. ASC will not do it

8) The glove compartment cannot hold more than 3 items!!!!!
9) MAHINDRA'S KEY LESSS ENTRY is a disaster; I can only lock / unlock the car.
10) The sensor which detects if the car door is properly shut or not is wrongly place, it does not detect any half closed or open doors!!! - THIS IS DANGEROUS.
11) The steering is too big!! does not respond immediatly.
Yes - compared to cars but ergonomically comfortable for longer drives, off-roading etc.

12) The seat belts I think are of cheap quality, dont feel safe with them.
13) The horn, sound like a Hero Honda Splendor. I agree - mine sounded like a goat. I immediately changed it to Hella twins. Recently water spoiled them so looking for cheap & water proof horns

14 No arm rest provided for the front seats. MAHINDRA here you go------>>>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have decided that I will have to make the following changed in the interior:

1) The front dash and central console will have to go, black looks too cheap, very cheap, so cheap that I cant bear to look at it, I am trying to Ignore it. Beige will look good, found out the price of the complete dash and central console cost around Rs. 9000/-

2) Arm rests for both the front seats have to be installed, will enquire wher and how to procure / fit them. If any one can help with a few suggestions as to where I can get this done.
ASC will not help. One option is go for Scorpio or Xylo. But check if it obstructs gear changing. Last option JC Road.

3) Car Alarm system has to be installed for the security of the car. Check with ASC or JC Road

4) Tint has to be installed on the Wind shield because as the light enters through the wind shield it bounces off the windows on both the sides. I enquired and will cost around Rs. 2500/- which cut off the excess light and glare.

5) Will need to install a smaller steering wheel.

6) Also need to install a louder horn.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am off to Waynad tomorrow, will post few pics and write about the experience once I am back. Where are the Wyanad pix?
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 17:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
I have decided that I will have to make the following changed in the interior:

1) The front dash and central console will have to go, black looks too cheap, very cheap, so cheap that I cant bear to look at it, I am trying to Ignore it. Beige will look good, found out the price of the complete dash and central console cost around Rs. 9000/-

4) Tint has to be installed on the Wind shield because as the light enters through the wind shield it bounces off the windows on both the sides. I enquired and will cost around Rs. 2500/- which cut off the excess light and glare.

5) Will need to install a smaller steering wheel.
@RockyB,

Can you share some more details of the "new dashboard" you found?
Got any picture?

I was planning to plonk the SLX dash in my SLE....just for the tacho.

Are you sure the windscreen tint will cut off the internal reflections on windows? Its one of the most irritating and dangerous things....especially in turns.

I'm not sure a smaller steering wheel on a vehicle with absolutley NO STEERING FEEDBACK is a good idea. I'll wait to see what the experts have to say.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote