Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th March 2010, 16:26   #1

Default Bolero VLX CRDe 2010 - blanc pour la paix (White For Peace)

I am due to take delivery of my new VLX in two days from now. As I narrate my histoire the registration is being done, later today the tints / cooling paper will be pasted.

La histoire de mon cheval

PRICE;

On-Road;Rs. 7,88,213/-
Mahindra Discount; Rs. 45,000/-
Exchange Discount; Rs. 10,000/-
Total Damage; Rs; 7,33,213/-

FINANCE / LOAN AMOUNT;

Rs. 3,60,000/- loan @ 9.45% form Axis bank

GOODIES;

The dealer said he would provide IDOL + PERFUME + Cooling Paper + floor / foot mats, but if you read the brochure it states that the VLX comes with side aluminum steps and floor / foot mats. I pointed this out and was able to bargain for; the focus lamps which go below the Headlights on the bumper.

MOTIVATION for VLX Purchase;

I frequent on Santro Zip Plus or the Verna CRDi ABS. Most of my driving is on the tarmac and have always tried to avoid bad roads. I have always wanted to explore new inviting broken pebbled roads but dint have the heart to do it in the santro nor the verna, but of the many times I have taken those roads I have regretted doing it as I cant go over 20 Kmph!!! Thus the need of the hour is for 50% City Driving, 40% pebbled / broken / inexistent roads and 10% off-road.

DECISION

Decided to have it my way, called all the dealers in Bangalore everyone said "two months minimum", dint think about it for over a month, one fine day on the 10th of March got a call from Sireesh Auto Pvt. Ltd. said "Sirrr, 45,000/- discount Sirrr, do you want? I come to collect book-k-k-ing amount only 10,000/-, I try to give !delivery! in (he meant ‘within’) 31 March 2010 as VAT ROAD TAX going up in April. I will get loan done from SBI only 8% interest sirrr."

I had him come to my office, paid him the booking amount and handed over the docs for the loan process.

The next day the SE calls and says "no SBI Loan giving for you sir, I will give to AXIS BANK."

LOAN PROCESS

The dealer handed over the docs to the AXIS Bank guy on the 11th of March, later on the 12th of march I got a call from AXIS Bank for verification - VERIFICATION DONE, after a day on the 13th of march I got a call from the person who was processing my application for some additional information and then on the 17th of march a call from the Credit Manager who was able to get approval for 3.6L which was OK for me. Then I had to push them for getting the agreement done and have the amount released to the Dealer. By the 22nd of March the entire loan process was completed. I am sure if I had followed up more often it would have taken lesser time.

DEALER’S DESIRE TO DELAY DELIVERY

After having completed the loan process I called the SE on the same day the 22nd, he was not happy me calling him or me insisting to deliver the vehicle by the 31st of March.
All the talk over the phone was yielding no results.
On the 23rd of March decided to pay a visit to the dealership.
The SE who was all MAN on the phone had a surprised look on his face which said WHAT IS HE DOING HERE? Then his all “MAN” attitude toned down to Yes Sirrr, please Sirrr….I tried explaining to him that he was the one who promised to have the car delivered before the end of march and all, but he was insisting that the delivery will most probably happen only in April, he expected me to leave after a 10 minutes talk, I was on my way out but I stopped, I turned around and said; I want to talk to your manager. The SE was not happy that I have come to such a decision, he had me wait for few minutes while he discussed my case with the Sales Manager, and he later on called for me to join the discussion. The Sales Manager, she was very friendly and all smiles. The discussion started off by me stating the Your SE promised to have the car delivered by this month, if not I have no use for it! I also added that SKS Automobile, the other dealer for M&M has a White VLX for immediate settlement and told her that I would not mind chalking a deal with them, which was the truth. She later on made a call and said I will confirm the delivery date tomorrow PLEASE she added. I was rather unhappy but her ‘please’ sounded like she would get thing rolling for me. The next day, the 24th of March I again made a visit to the dealership to meet the Sales Manager; she said she had nothing concrete to tell me, I was disappointed, I again sat in front of her for 10 minutes trying to convince her to deliver the VLX before the end of March, again she made a call and told me that by Saturday she will confirm it. I was angry now…I told her Saturday is too late. I added please don’t make me regret doing business with you and I walked out.

I came back again the next day; 25th of March; have you got my car here I asked, she gave me a pleasant smile and said no Sir, not yet. She went on to promise me that she will confirm the delivery date tomorrow i.e. on the 26th of March.

On the 26th of March she called me, she kept up her promise and said; she will have the car registered on the 29th of March, Monday. I did not believe her, I again went to meet her and got confirmation face-to-face.

FINAL PAYMENT

On the 27th of March I again went to the dealership and made the final payment, discussed the goodies, selected a tint / cooling paper et al. The SE said that Monday PDI and registration will be done. On Tuesday I will have the Tints / cooling paper pasted, as on Tuesday he will not deliver because it is inauspicious. Final Date of Delivery of mon cheval; WEDNESDAY, 31st March 2010.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2010 at 11:04. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares!
blackhawk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 18:34   #2
BHPian

Congratulations! The VLX is a truly impressive steed. Please take a third person along when taking delivery, an unemotional perspective is usually very useful in these situations.

Looking forward to some pics in the coming week, and a detailed (and entertaining) initial ownership report.

Drive Safe,
Sriku
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 19:04   #3

Default White 2010 Bolero VLX CRDe - Continuous Long Term Ownership Report

About the ride:

Vehicle: Bolero VLX CRDe
Colour: Pearl / Diamond White
Date of Purchase: 31 March 2010
Dealership: Sireesh Auto Pvt. Ltd.
City : Bangalore
On-Road Price: 788213/-
Discounts: 45000/- + 10000/-
Finance: Axis Bank
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A few of my observations in the first 2 days:

1) Engine: Powerful, will only know its true potential after the run-in period.
2) Suspension: A little bouncy but takes the potholes/ditches etc with ease.
3) Power Steering: No effort required.
4) A/c: Quite powerful, has a good air filtering system attached behind the front bumper.
5) Spacious Interiors.
6) Voice Assistance: Warns of low fuel and seat belts.
7) Head Lights: Powerful and adjustable; like the SCORPIO's
8) The front seats are nice and comfortable, not sure what material is used / stuffed.

Dislikes:

1) The horrible black dash and central consol; looks very very cheap.
2) The Accelerator, Break and Clutch pedals are not positioned for comfort, they could have pushed them just a little back and placed them lower.
3) The puny looking MP3 system and MAHINDRA speakers.
4) Location of the front speakers; they are located right behind the bonnet release lever!!!
5) The gear shifting is not easy; may be it will smoothen after use.
6) Poor finishing of the upholstery; found the stichings of the head rest coming off!!
7) The middle rear seat cannot be folded.
8) The glove compartment cannot hold more than 3 items!!!!!
9) MAHINDRA'S KEY LESSS ENTRY is a disaster; I can only lock / unlock the car.
10) The sensor which detects if the car door is properly shut or not is wrongly place, it does not detect any half closed or open doors!!! - THIS IS DANGEROUS.
11) The steering is too big!! does not respond immediatly.
12) The seat belts I think are of cheap quality, dont feel safe with them.
13) The horn, sound like a Hero Honda Splendor.
14 No arm rest provided for the front seats. MAHINDRA here you go------>>>
I have decided that I will have to make the following changed in the interior:

1) The front dash and central console will have to go, black looks too cheap, very cheap, so cheap that I cant bear to look at it, I am trying to Ignore it. Beige will look good, found out the price of the complete dash and central console cost around Rs. 9000/-

2) Arm rests for both the front seats have to be installed, will enquire wher and how to procure / fit them. If any one can help with a few suggestions as to where I can get this done.

3) Car Alarm system has to be installed for the security of the car.

4) Tint has to be installed on the Wind shield because as the light enters through the wind shield it bounces off the windows on both the sides. I enquired and will cost around Rs. 2500/- which cut off the excess light and glare.

5) Will need to install a smaller steering wheel.

6) Also need to install a louder horn.
I am off to Waynad tomorrow, will post few pics and write about the experience once I am back.

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd April 2010 at 16:42. Reason: Deleting extra smiley
Old 1st April 2010, 22:31   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy blackhawk! Your list of cribs is long, but look on the bright side -- there's a lot you can 'customise'. Enjoy maadi! By the way this is a duplicate thread...before closing your earlier thread the moderator had requested you to contact them to reopen the thread once you had bought your vehicle.

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd April 2010 at 16:42. Reason: Merging done. Thanks
MudMover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the vehicle!!! Awaiting for the pics and your experience!!!

BTW is this a 4x2 or a 4x4?
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Blackhawk on the VLX and welcome to the Storm Club and hope to see you join the high mileage diesel owners club as well.

Few pointers for you in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk100 View Post
About the ride:

Vehicle: Bolero VLX CRDe
Colour: Pearl / Diamond White
Date of Purchase: 31 March 2010
Dealership: Sireesh Auto Pvt. Ltd.
City : Bangalore
On-Road Price: 788213/-
Discounts: 45000/- + 10000/-
Finance: Axis Bank
A few of my observations in the first 2 days:

1) Engine: Powerful, will only know its true potential after the run-in period.
2) Suspension: A little bouncy but takes the potholes/ditches etc with ease. I have heard the new VLX are coming with the SLX shocks at the rear to reduce the bumpy ride. Please check
3) Power Steering: No effort required.
4) A/c: Quite powerful, has a good air filtering system attached behind the front bumper. Hehe SIR, its not an air filter but an intercooler. As a matter of fact the Bolero AC has only one mode and that is the recirculating mode.
5) Spacious Interiors.
6) Voice Assistance: Warns of low fuel and seat belts.
7) Head Lights: Powerful and adjustable; like the SCORPIO's. Now all cars come with head light adjust button as its compulsory as per CMVR
8) The front seats are nice and comfortable, not sure what material is used / stuffed.

Dislikes:

1) The horrible black dash and central consol; looks very very cheap. Black holds better than the beige
2) The Accelerator, Break and Clutch pedals are not positioned for comfort, they could have pushed them just a little back and placed them lower.
3) The puny looking MP3 system and MAHINDRA speakers. Less said the better
4) Location of the front speakers; they are located right behind the bonnet release lever!!!
5) The gear shifting is not easy; may be it will smoothen after use.
6) Poor finishing of the upholstery; found the stichings of the head rest coming off!!
7) The middle rear seat cannot be folded.
8) The glove compartment cannot hold more than 3 items!!!!!
9) MAHINDRA'S KEY LESSS ENTRY is a disaster; I can only lock / unlock the car.
10) The sensor which detects if the car door is properly shut or not is wrongly place, it does not detect any half closed or open doors!!! - THIS IS DANGEROUS.
11) The steering is too big!! does not respond immediatly.
12) The seat belts I think are of cheap quality, dont feel safe with them.
13) The horn, sound like a Hero Honda Splendor.
14 No arm rest provided for the front seats. MAHINDRA here you go------>>>
I have decided that I will have to make the following changed in the interior:

1) The front dash and central console will have to go, black looks too cheap, very cheap, so cheap that I cant bear to look at it, I am trying to Ignore it. Beige will look good, found out the price of the complete dash and central console cost around Rs. 9000/-. I would suggest against it as it might lead to a lot of vibrations due to the refit/retrofitment at dealer's end.

2) Arm rests for both the front seats have to be installed, will enquire wher and how to procure / fit them. If any one can help with a few suggestions as to where I can get this done.

3) Car Alarm system has to be installed for the security of the car.

4) Tint has to be installed on the Wind shield because as the light enters through the wind shield it bounces off the windows on both the sides. I enquired and will cost around Rs. 2500/- which cut off the excess light and glare.

5) Will need to install a smaller steering wheel. With a smaller steering wheel, your steering effort will increase

6) Also need to install a louder horn.
I am off to Waynad tomorrow, will post few pics and write about the experience once I am back.
@harjeev: Its a 4x2. Behram Saab is still designing the 4X4

Last edited by MileCruncher : 2nd April 2010 at 14:53.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:12   #7

Thanks to all for the welcome, I will post a few pics in a few days now.

MileCruncher; I will have to check about the SLX Shocks.

All: I had a mahindra person from the dealership come over to explain the car, he told me a few thing which I would like to clarify with the bolero VLX owners:

1) The coolant is bluish green in colour, when the time came to refill he asked me to put 2/3 coolant and the rest water?

2) He said the RPM will remain between 800 to 950 and should not go beyond 1000? (When I took delivery of the Verna CRDi the initial RPM was above 1000 untill the set-in period)

3) When travelling on a dusty road, if the air filter is clogged the car wont start! he says I will have to call mahindra to fix the problem?
Also, has any one installed a car security system on to the VLX CRDe?
Old 6th April 2010, 14:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

My answers below in the bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk100 View Post
Thanks to all for the welcome, I will post a few pics in a few days now.

MileCruncher; I will have to check about the SLX Shocks.

All: I had a mahindra person from the dealership come over to explain the car, he told me a few thing which I would like to clarify with the bolero VLX owners:

1) The coolant is bluish green in colour, when the time came to refill he asked me to put 2/3 coolant and the rest water? Yes that's the new type coolant. Ideally you wouldn't need to top up coolant. I haven'ttopped up in the last 5,000 Kms. Yes you can mix water with coolant but try to stick to Distilled Water.

2) He said the RPM will remain between 800 to 950 and should not go beyond 1000? (When I took delivery of the Verna CRDi the initial RPM was above 1000 untill the set-in period) Yes the right from day the idle RPM has been below 1000. More towards 900

3) When travelling on a dusty road, if the air filter is clogged the car wont start! he says I will have to call mahindra to fix the problem? Well my Air Filter didn't clog even after the driving for 3000 Kms in the dust bowl of Ladakh. So don't fear about Air Filter Clogging.
Also, has any one installed a car security system on to the VLX CRDe?
Old 6th April 2010, 15:59   #9
BHPian

Wow! I came to know of this only now. I thought all Boleros had the same suspension set up. As per the Mahindra Bolero website, the VLX is shown as having 'rigid leaf springs' in the rear whereas the SLX is described as having 'parabolic leaf springs'. Today I got my bolero fitted with the carbon fibre single leaf springs in the back. Can't make out any difference yet, but the folks said the springs need to 'open up' for the difference to be felt. So, looking forward to the weekend drive.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Wow! I came to know of this only now. I thought all Boleros had the same suspension set up. As per the Mahindra Bolero website, the VLX is shown as having 'rigid leaf springs' in the rear whereas the SLX is described as having 'parabolic leaf springs'. Today I got my bolero fitted with the carbon fibre single leaf springs in the back. Can't make out any difference yet, but the folks said the springs need to 'open up' for the difference to be felt. So, looking forward to the weekend drive.
The bumpiness in the rear is caused because of the suspension set-up. That is why the softer VLX shocks (not leaf) are getting replaced with a slightly harder SLX shocks.

Btw your CFL will void warranty on suspension components
Old 6th April 2010, 17:14   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification MC! Good move by M&M if it improves the ride. Depending on blackhawk's review of the ride quality, changing the shocks will be a future option as well.

Yes, in my case the move to CFL is a risk no doubt. I'm just hoping the benefit justifies the risk. It was not my decision actually, a couple of vehicles in the in-laws' fleet were being fitted with CFLSs, hence mine got fitted as well. Left to myself maybe I would have gone for Bilstein B6 shocks, that's all.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

How did you manage 45K discount
dealers here up north arent offering a Penny on VLX

1)Is it possible to buy VLX without Storm stickers?

2)Is it possible to buy one with Beige Interiors of SLX?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How did you manage 45K discount
dealers here up north arent offering a Penny on VLX
The discount is actually price correction. Even I had got 42k discount when I bought in May. So you need to cross check the ex-showroom price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
1)Is it possible to buy VLX without Storm stickers?

2)Is it possible to buy one with Beige Interiors of SLX?
Yes you can take the Storm stickers out. Not a big deal

As about beige interior, your dealer should be able to change the dashboard on cost basis.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Wow! I came to know of this only now. I thought all Boleros had the same suspension set up. As per the Mahindra Bolero website, the VLX is shown as having 'rigid leaf springs' in the rear whereas the SLX is described as having 'parabolic leaf springs'.
Can someone explain this please. Aren't all leaf springs parabolic? SPIKE/DB Sir/UBS Sir....are you there?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Can someone explain this please. Aren't all leaf springs parabolic? SPIKE/DB Sir/UBS Sir....are you there?
Differences between Parabolic and Rigid Leaf Springs from what I found on the net. This basically means a slightly softer ride on tarmac.
Quote:
A parabolic spring in very basic terms is a leaf spring that has a different design than a standard leaf spring. The changes in its shape allow forces applied to it to change the shape easier than with a standard leaf spring. The parabolic spring, or spring packs, are tapered in a parabolic way rather than a linear way as stock leaf springs are. This means that they are thick in the middle (under the axle) and they taper in a parabolic manner towards the ends (near the shackles). The tapering steps down in a parabolic manner, i.e. Y=Xsquare + n where Y and X are related to the thickness and the length of the leaf. The shape of the spring is also parabolical. This design keeps the spring flexible, but able to carry the load of the vehicle. The reason why these springs are able to offer a smoother ride, and more axle articulation with no down side is because of this parabolic design and the lack of interleaf friction.
Think of a stock leaf spring as an arch that is made from one size of material from end to end. An arch is a very strong and rigid structure, able to support a lot of weight, but the arch is very hard to break. It takes a huge force to flex the arch. This is why stock leaf springs ride very hard. When a force is applied to the arch (by say hitting as bump with your axle) the force needed to flex the arch is great, so instead of flexing, the spring stays rigid and the bump (or force) is sent through the suspension into the Rover, and then into your lower back!
Think of a parabolic spring as an arch that has a taper from the middle to each end. It retains the load carrying ability but when these huge forces are applied (by hitting a bump, or twisting the suspension off road) the parabolic design allows the spring to give a little and reduces shock to the vehicle and the driver. In an off road situation this means that both compression and extension can be greatly improved as this design works well in both directions.
The parabolic design is also better able to handle the force distribution from the vehicle to the axle. The parabolic spring is linear in rate while a stock leaf springs are degressive in rate, meaning it can offer load carrying with fewer leafs, where standard leaf spring can not.
The parabolic spring design, having fewer leaves, means that interleaf friction is drastically reduced as compared to a standard leaf pack of 7 or more leaves. This allows the spring to compress or extend easier as this friction (resistance) does not need to be overcome to achieve flex; therefore, the ride is more comfortable and off road articulation is improved. This also reduces rust in the parabolic spring pack, a major cause of standard leaf spring failure.
As the springs cut down on forces sent into the vehicle, they will actually reduce the noise levels as well! The design of the spring also reduce unsprung weight.
Taken from Parabolic Springs

One can also take a look at this http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5683076.html

Last edited by MileCruncher : 23rd April 2010 at 12:38.