Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th April 2010, 17:29   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
why would people honk at you? your start would be almost at the same time as their.

What you have to follow is ( I will repeat once more ):

1) Brake & stop at the red light
2)Turn your key off, wait 5 secs, turn your key to the position before which the engine actually starts
3) you will notice red & orange warning lamps switch on, Orange lamps will then switch off while red continue to be on.
4) Continue waiting till the traffic light becomes green
5) As soon as you see the signal is green, just one tilt of the key will start your engine & you zoom ahead.
Any chance of the battery draining out if one were to use this technique for extended periods of time?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 17:33   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Any chance of the battery draining out if one were to use this technique for extended periods of time?
No chance whatsoever unless you use it 10 times per km or something like that, The heavy alternator motor takes care of it, Actually This is a good practise & also your battery life improves by 10-20% <----- We tested this in one of the quality tests for battery life.

Since all cars have batteries in them so I guess this applies to cars of all makes.

One more thing, I stop the engine only on red lights that have a timer & the timer shows > 80 secs or so, otherwise there is no point in resting the car as it actually consumes more fuel when you start the engine again.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 13th April 2010 at 17:35.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 07:54   #78
BHPian

Good to know that it is a good practice which improves battery life ! I am not overdoing it, may be 4 - 5 times in my 1 hour drive to cover 13 km to office. In Bangalore, the busy signals have a timer of 120 seconds, so turning off engine definitely saves fuel. And then there are choke points like fly over construction areas where the wait could be even up to 5 minutes !
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 08:54   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
ah same happened to me at the start. I learned it and got used to it in 2 days. When the car stalls you need to bring the keys to off position and then start the car. This can take 2-3 secs and the person behind starts honking like the word is going to end
Unlike our maruti cars which you can just crank up to start.
I think this is there in Maruti cars too. My M800 has 4 positions for the key:
a) 10'o clock - steering lock
b) 12'0 clock - Steering unlocked.. but all lights on dashboard are still off
c) 2'o clock - All lights on dashboard are turned on. One can also hear the fuel pump working for a couple of seconds.
d) 3'o clock - Crank position to start the engine.

After switching off at signals, I keep the car in 1st gear and the key in position C... so that I can move instantly on getting the green signal.

@Captain,
I see you have counted me among Figo owners.. but my status is still "awaiting delivery" :( If it is delivered as per Sales cons' initial commitment i should have it this month .. or else ... u never know

@Mustang, Revy,
As per the run-in thread, the 30 seconds idling duration is applicable for a Diesel in 2 instances.
1) Before switching off the engine
2) After starting the engine and before moving the vehicle
On my route, not all signal junctions have timers .. so I was wondering how i can manage to accomplish the 2nd guideline

Last edited by scanD : 14th April 2010 at 09:02.
scanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 14:53   #80
BHPian

Folks, I have been so tied up with work these days, that's why no updates :-( . The only thing that I enjoy these days is the drive to office and back, other than this, everything else is work, work and work ! Getting used to the baby more now and my love is only increasing. Today, finally I got conformation from Lathangi ford that fog lamps and USB cable have come. I gave the car for fitting them, hope to get it back by evening. I hope at least this weekend I can take more pics and post them. Today when I parked at office, I noticed that the fuel lid is opened..Don't know how it happened. I closed it, but I am not very happy with the way it is held in place. I have shown to the dealer today, hopefully they will see if something is wrong, while they do the accessory fitting. Tested the low fuel warning, exactly when the DTE crossed 80 KM, it started chiming and the warning light is on always. My mileage is consistant, hovering around 16 always. ( according to DTE ). Now planning to do a tank to tank calculation.
Old 16th April 2010, 17:56   #81
BHPian

Ok, got the car fitted with fog lamps (front only) and USB adapter. With the lamps, the red baby looks hotter ! USB cable is placed inside the glove box, I am yet to test it.
Fog lamps, cost is 4500. for USB cable, they charged 1248. It was supposed to be 1100 only ? Anyone else fitted these things and how much you paid ?
Old 16th April 2010, 18:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Today when I parked at office, I noticed that the fuel lid is opened..Don't know how it happened. I closed it, but I am not very happy with the way it is held in place. I have shown to the dealer today, hopefully they will see if something is wrong, while they do the accessory fitting. Tested the low fuel warning, exactly when the DTE crossed 80 KM, it started chiming and the warning light is on always. My mileage is consistant, hovering around 16 always. ( according to DTE ). Now planning to do a tank to tank calculation.
Your leg must have accidentally puled up the lever while you wee getting out. Happens to me once in a while. 16 seems to be really good. What rpms do you normally maintain while driving/gear shifting?

Quote:
Ok, got the car fitted with fog lamps (front only) and USB adapter. With the lamps, the red baby looks hotter ! USB cable is placed inside the glove box, I am yet to test it.
Fog lamps, cost is 4500. for USB cable, they charged 1248. It was supposed to be 1100 only ? Anyone else fitted these things and how much you paid ?
The cover says Rs.1100/- inclusive of all taxes. I guess they took fitting charges.

AND PHOTOS PHOTOS. WE NEED PHOTOS of the Red with Fog lamps. And how is the work. Will you know that they have removed the bumper. Is it fitted back perfectly. And how bright is the light?
Attached Images

gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 20:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Your leg must have accidentally puled up the lever while you wee getting out. Happens to me once in a while. 16 seems to be really good. What rpms do you normally maintain while driving/gear shifting?

The cover says Rs.1100/- inclusive of all taxes. I guess they took fitting charges.

AND PHOTOS PHOTOS. WE NEED PHOTOS of the Red with Fog lamps. And how is the work. Will you know that they have removed the bumper. Is it fitted back perfectly. And how bright is the light?
gemi - Possible that my feet pulled the lever while getting in/out. Will need to watch out for this. I am shifting gears in the 1.7 K - 2 K range. Have maintained the rev not crossing 2.5 K so far ( very tough when I see an open stretch ). In 5th gear, 100 kmph easy at 2.5 mark, haven't tried beyond that yet.

Photos, yes, sure by the weekend. Last weekend was very tight with both days being out. I really haven't checked anything after fitting lamps, car was delivered at office and I just drove to basement parking. Hope that they haven't messed up anything. Yes, when I queried about 1100 rate for USB, they were talking about fitting charges. Only for USB ? No such charges for fog lamps ??!! Ford really is making a killing with that USB adapter !
Old 17th April 2010, 12:15   #84
BHPian

Here comes the much delayed pics ! Some of them taken before fitting fog lamps. T-BHP stickers are already there

See pic # 3 - the gap between the rear glass and lamps is too much. Almost double compared to the other side. Poor build quality ??!! Any other Figo owners have this kind of gap ? Is it something the service people can correct ? (By refitting rear glass, if that's feasible)
Attached Thumbnails
Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00768.jpg  

Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00769.jpg  

Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00772.jpg  

Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00774.jpg  

Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00866.jpg  

Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00867.jpg  

Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00869.jpg  

Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium-dsc00870.jpg  

Last edited by Revy : 17th April 2010 at 12:19.
Old 17th April 2010, 12:22   #85
BANNED

@Revvy: Nice Pics, Dont worry about the panel gap, It is sometimes there, It wont cause any problems for you.
Old 17th April 2010, 12:41   #86
BHPian

Nice pics Revy. Did you get a chance to drive at night with the fog lamps? How good/bad are they? Also can you post a pic of the USB cable in the glove box?
joethomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 13:07   #87
BHPian

Mustang - the gap may not cause any problem, but it really get noticed ! My wife is very skeptical and says water can get inside. I showed her the way it is built and how water will flow down through the inside channel without entering boot, she is still not convinced. Now I need to do a test in front of her by pouring a bucket of water in that gap !

joe - I already posted the USB pic in the test drive thread, missed it here. I have not tested the fog lamp, in fact I need to learn how to switch it on ! Any help ? Is it mentioned in manual ? This is not a standard fitting, so I doubt. I should have learned how to operate it from service people. But I was so busy at office and had to ask them to deliver my car at office after the fog lamp fitting. USB device is working fine, no issues.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

@REVY: Pull the headlight switch up (towards you).
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 13:32   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Mustang - the gap may not cause any problem, but it really get noticed ! My wife is very skeptical and says water can get inside. I showed her the way it is built and how water will flow down through the inside channel without entering boot, she is still not convinced. Now I need to do a test in front of her by pouring a bucket of water in that gap !

You know what? Take a hose & put water in through that gap, You will notice that no water goes inside the boot. I have tried it on my fusion which inherently has larger panel gaps than the figo.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:56   #90
BHPian

gemi - thanks for the tip, I will test the fog lamps tonight.

mustang - I am sure gonna the "hose test" as you suggested to convince my wife ! ( and myself too).

Yesterday, did a full tank. I stopped at the first auto cut off, it was 38.6 liters gone in. The DTE before filling was 45 and after filling, it showed 571. Did the math and as per the DTE figures, mileage is only 13.84 ! After taking delivery and filling 25 liters, the mileage according to DTE was in the range of 15 - 16 which is ok for now in the B2B traffic. Hope the DTE figures will correct after few more kilometers, after the refill, I have driven only 15 km so far. If it is giving anything under 15 in city, I am really worried. And I am a sedate driver in city conditions, following the run-in instructions carefully.

Last edited by Revy : 17th April 2010 at 13:57.