Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th May 2011, 15:51   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report

That is a nice looking Beat. Those lights looks awesome
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 10:20   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
You are right.. Getting it pictured is very difficult.
I am also worried about the vandals. The very next day after doing the VHT, somebody has tried scratching the tail light surface. Luckily the scratch mark is very light over the clear coat and it can be removed with rubbing compound. Now I feel it is better that I did not go for the tinting film for smoking the tail lamp.
Hey, you didn't get a 3 wire DRL? Its got an additional yellow wire to be connected to the headlight so that once the head light is on, it will automatically dimmed or off depends on kits.

Next time search for DRLs in Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Free Shipping - DealExtreme
They've got a wide variety of DRLs and ofcourse all are Chinese ones
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 13:51   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Hey, you didn't get a 3 wire DRL? Its got an additional yellow wire to be connected to the headlight so that once the head light is on, it will automatically dimmed or off depends on kits.

Next time search for DRLs in Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Free Shipping - DealExtreme
They've got a wide variety of DRLs and ofcourse all are Chinese ones
I have checked this before buying it.
Even the dealextreme ones(L shaped DRLs) are without the dimmer relay kit.
Only the straight ones comes with the relay kit.
Any way I have decided to make a DIY kit myself and saved $8
BTW are you having the dimmer circuit in your car?
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 14:04   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I have checked this before buying it.
Even the dealextreme ones(L shaped DRLs) are without the dimmer relay kit.
Only the straight ones comes with the relay kit.
Any way I have decided to make a DIY kit myself and saved $8
BTW are you having the dimmer circuit in your car?
Nope, no plans for that. Its connected to the position lamps. Even the Chevy guys were curious about the DRLs and the source.

I am after flashing brake lights where the brake lights will flash for 3 times and then it will glow steady till the pedal is released. But the third brke light is giving more load to it. I assumed it as LEDs but its all 5WX5 bulbs The circuit has to control 65W and the transistors are heating up like anything.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:42   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, no plans for that. Its connected to the position lamps. Even the Chevy guys were curious about the DRLs and the source.

I am after flashing brake lights where the brake lights will flash for 3 times and then it will glow steady till the pedal is released. But the third brke light is giving more load to it. I assumed it as LEDs but its all 5WX5 bulbs The circuit has to control 65W and the transistors are heating up like anything.
You may want to try using equivalent LEDs in place of the 5W - you get LEDs with the exact same connectors as the filament bulbs but eat much less power. As you implied, that would reduce the transistor heating by a great deal.
XH_Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 11:46   #186
BHPian

Finally posting a few pics of my brand new Beat... Salbin hope you don't mind as I don't want to start a new thread when this is going so well.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-beat1.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-beat3_1.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-beat4_1.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-beat5.jpg  

Old 28th May 2011, 13:22   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH_Vee View Post
You may want to try using equivalent LEDs in place of the 5W - you get LEDs with the exact same connectors as the filament bulbs but eat much less power. As you implied, that would reduce the transistor heating by a great deal.
At the outset congrats on your latest acquisition and welcome to Beat Club

I am using LEDs for reducing the power consumption in areas like position lights, licence plates etc. where I can save a good amount of battery power if I keep the parking lights on for hours. I had a chance of getting flat battery once I forgot to switch off the cabin light.

Dude, you can not simply replace the bulbs with the after market LEDs as the optics designs are totally different for LEDs. So the outcome will be far worse than the stock bulbs even with the powerful SMDs. And am more concerned about the safety part than the bling or energy saving as the visibility plays a vital role in case of brake light.

I don't have much time to play around with the circuit else, I would've found a solution for the heating up of TIPs by now.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:13   #188
BHPian

Quote:
I am using LEDs for reducing the power consumption in areas like position lights, licence plates etc. where I can save a good amount of battery power if I keep the parking lights on for hours. I had a chance of getting flat battery once I forgot to switch off the cabin light.

Dude, you can not simply replace the bulbs with the after market LEDs as the optics designs are totally different for LEDs. So the outcome will be far worse than the stock bulbs even with the powerful SMDs. And am more concerned about the safety part than the bling or energy saving as the visibility plays a vital role in case of brake light.

I don't have much time to play around with the circuit else, I would've found a solution for the heating up of TIPs by now.
I didn't know you are already using equivalent LEDs wherever you could - equivalent meaning matching the lumen ratings. I would never recommend compromise on the illumination. I meant if you can replace the bulbs with equivalent LEDs you can reduce power flow through the circuit thereby running it cooler. But you are already familiar with the concept

Did you already consider using a heat sink / heat tube for the transistor in question?
Old 28th May 2011, 14:15   #189
BHPian

@ XH : Congrats on the Beat. Welcome to the club. Those are amazing alloys, did you upgrade the stock tyres as well? How much did it cost you?
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 09:48   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
@ XH : Congrats on the Beat. Welcome to the club. Those are amazing alloys, did you upgrade the stock tyres as well? How much did it cost you?
Thanks! The alloys I am trying out are the Reliance Autozone brand Zeki model number E337. They have a thin red strips around the rim. They cost me 12.5k (after reliance guys paid 150 per rim for the stock steel set and a bit of bargaining ). I have retained the stock tires but as Salbin had mentioned earlier, they have a wider profile now due to the alloys. I guess I will wait till they wear out before fitting wider tires.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:46   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH_Vee View Post
I didn't know you are already using equivalent LEDs wherever you could - equivalent meaning matching the lumen ratings. I would never recommend compromise on the illumination. I meant if you can replace the bulbs with equivalent LEDs you can reduce power flow through the circuit thereby running it cooler. But you are already familiar with the concept

Did you already consider using a heat sink / heat tube for the transistor in question?
Yes, TIPs are on a heatsink, but its not adequate am in lookout for a better heat sinks for them.

This is the one am using now:
Name:  TIP Heat Sink.jpg
Views: 3042
Size:  4.6 KB

Am looking something similar like this:
Name:  531202C02500.jpg
Views: 3123
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  dds_amp_pic.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  68.9 KB

Am yet to visit the spare shop for a suitable one.

Last edited by sajjt : 30th May 2011 at 10:47.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:55   #192
BHPian

@XH, Congrats on your Beat!! Those wheels are just awesome! The car looks a lot more imposing with those macho wheels

@Salbin, The DRLs add even more spice to your green beauty! waiting for the pics with DRLs on in daytime...

Last edited by Auto freak : 30th May 2011 at 13:57.
Auto freak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:52   #193
BHPian

@XH_Vee: Congrats.. Your car looks great with the alloys.
Is it 14x5.5J or 14x6J?

I was on a weekend trip to Mysore. The drive was smooth. The odo is at around 14K.
Now I am always driving with the DRLs on.

@Auto freak: Here are some pics with DRL on. As Sajjt said, it is very difficult to capture the DRL with a camera. Tried capturing it with different settings in the cam and this is what I could get:

Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-1.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-2.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-3.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-4.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-5.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-6.jpg
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 22:27   #194
Senior - BHPian

That is one 'bling'ed up Beat.

Just one thing that is nagging me. Dont you think it would have been better if you placed the DRLs a little more to the left / right of where it is, so it would have aligned in such a way that there was no gap.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 22:47   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
That is one 'bling'ed up Beat.

Just one thing that is nagging me. Dont you think it would have been better if you placed the DRLs a little more to the left / right of where it is, so it would have aligned in such a way that there was no gap.
Actually i have maintained equal gap on top aswell as left and right. So in future, if i decide to paint the lower grill in black like european or australian spark creative, then the DRLs will come in the center of the black portion. This was my logic of positioning it there.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote