Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th May 2010, 19:32   #106
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
That's pretty good too.. I know the Alleppey Kollam NH, and if you can get 19.5 on that stretch, you should certainly get more than 21 on a more open highway with sparser traffic (with the right kind of driving of course).
That indeed is a good mileage. But the moment it is off the 5th gear, it starts coming down.

Though it could be disappointing for people, here are the figures from the ScanguageII today.

After tank fill, it has run all in our town about 30kms using 4.17L of diesel in 2hrs and 6 mts at 14.4 kph average speed. The indicated mileage is 7.20kpl. i will try to restrict it to town use only this time.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 21:09   #107
Senior - BHPian

Oh! My God. Your scangauge II seems to be giving some shocking numbers. What was ford doing when they tested the Figo. I'm sure they would have used similar devices.

Mustang....WHAT IS THIS supposed to MEAN!!!!
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 21:29   #108
BHPian

Even my wife isn't so moody as my Figo is ......
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 22:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Though it could be disappointing for people, here are the figures from the ScanguageII today.

After tank fill, it has run all in our town about 30kms using 4.17L of diesel in 2hrs and 6 mts at 14.4 kph average speed. The indicated mileage is 7.20kpl. i will try to restrict it to town use only this time.
I'm not very surprised.. My city usage happens to be similar a lot of times with a several short (3-4 kms) trips, and stop and go traffic on occasional longer trips. And mileage of 7 to 8 is what I've seen very often during those types of runs, both on diesel engines as well as petrol ones like my Ford Ikon.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:16   #110
BHPian

I have been carefully looking at the mileage of my figo (and the fiesta before that). and for mine atleast it's not the gears but the rpm which seems to have a predominant effect on the mileage.I take care that i don't exceed 2000 rpm for more than a few seconds if at all and i have been getting very good mileage(15-16). The added bonus is the engine is at it's refined best between 1500-2000 rpm. The drawback is i cannot drive like a boy racer :(. By the way the mileage behaviour is absolutely the same on my fiesta also but we have never got anything as low as 7kmpl. I guess the minimum that we have got is around 11.6 kmpl on the fiesta. Try and make sure that you exceed the 2000 rpm only once you reach the 5th gear and you will get very good mileage on the tdci.
vishnurp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:48   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'm not very surprised.. My city usage happens to be similar a lot of times with a several short (3-4 kms) trips, and stop and go traffic on occasional longer trips. And mileage of 7 to 8 is what I've seen very often during those types of runs, both on diesel engines as well as petrol ones like my Ford Ikon.
Thank God, there is someone in my situation and can relate to what I experience. Most runs in our town if started form cold won't even allow the engine to its normal running temperature.

A typical run would be from my place to my in law's place. Start from home, peep out of my gate, might easily take a minute or more to get onto the road, take a right and in 200m I reach a junction after a rumble strip, turn right fighting for my way (since the junction is not controlled), travel 350m and reach a junction, stop and cross it and in another 200m reach the destination. All of 750m!

I can cover most of my town if I travel 5 kms and the newer cars that I have take at least 4 minutes to warm their engines.

Only walking would be more fuel efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Oh! My God. Your scangauge II seems to be giving some shocking numbers. What was ford doing when they tested the Figo. I'm sure they would have used similar devices.
Mustang....WHAT IS THIS supposed to MEAN!!!!
Gemi, there is nothing alarming. The fuel efficiency is tested with under certain conditions. These conditions may not be replicable for all in real life situations. You have to be satisfied with what you get under your driving conditions.

No body can guarantee a mileage that you would get.

I am sure any other car would get similar low mileages if used in the same conditions that I put them to.

The present day petrol / diesel engines have the potential to give very good mileages under good driving conditions.

One of the reasons why my City CVT managed an excellent overall mileage is that it was not subjected to the typical town runs (as in example above) as far as possible.

I am not surprised at the figures and I am not sad also.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:20   #112
BHPian

Even considering short distances/small town etc 7kmpl seems to be very low to me. My fiesta does most of it's running in tvm where conditions are not a lot different but we haven't seen that low mileage ever. Are you sure that rpm is below 2000 for the most part? What is the mileage that you get on the other cars that you have for the same stretches? The figo runs from tambaram to mcity for the most part which is like a fast moving road where i have been getting 16+ consistently.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:42   #113
Senior - BHPian

That explains why one of my friend who got the Palio mjd was getting just around 8km/l!!!

Doc, the thing that bugs me is that i could extract 9.5 from my FIAT Adventure 1.6 in Full City Drives. Now Getting 12 from a Diesel is not what i expected. I thought the minimum i would get is 14km/l whatever i do. MAybe i should settle down with certain realities and start enjoying the drive
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 18:18   #114
BHPian

Likewise gemi. I was getting 11-12 in my WagonR and I'm now getting the same in the Figo diesel. So I'm disappointed too.

But beyond a point, I realized I was doing all I could to increase the F.E and I could not do more than that. So I have accepted the car as it is and have begun to enjoy it.

But as of recommendations - I'm asking people to look out for more options before blindly going for this car. Especially if they are looking out at a F.E angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
That explains why one of my friend who got the Palio mjd was getting just around 8km/l!!!

Doc, the thing that bugs me is that i could extract 9.5 from my FIAT Adventure 1.6 in Full City Drives. Now Getting 12 from a Diesel is not what i expected. I thought the minimum i would get is 14km/l whatever i do. MAybe i should settle down with certain realities and start enjoying the drive
Old 19th May 2010, 12:38   #115
RGK
Senior - BHPian

@Gemi,Brix - I went for Figo because as most of the reviews said " it is a drivers car, paradise etc etc". But subconsciously my mind started to think that FE would be certainly better as this engine is used in Ikon & Fiesta. The FE reports have really disappointed so far to be even before taking the vehicle.
It is too late to gribb and better to accept and enjoy the car. F.E plays a major part in deciding a diesel vehicle. If Govt increases another 2 or 5 bucks thats all, the benefit of extra money invested in diesel is lost due to lower F.E.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 14:17   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@Gemi,Brix - I went for Figo because as most of the reviews said " it is a drivers car, paradise etc etc". But subconsciously my mind started to think that FE would be certainly better as this engine is used in Ikon & Fiesta. The FE reports have really disappointed so far to be even before taking the vehicle.
It is too late to gribb and better to accept and enjoy the car. F.E plays a major part in deciding a diesel vehicle. If Govt increases another 2 or 5 bucks thats all, the benefit of extra money invested in diesel is lost due to lower F.E.
I dont fully agree with you, The price of diesel inm Europe is a little more than petrol prices & still the sales of various car companies like renault,VW, BMW etc. are 60% diesel & 40% petrol (Ford is 50-50)

I think its a wise choice to have one diesel car if someone owns a petrol already.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 11:35   #117
BHPian

At my Office, I'm encouraging people to go for the Petrol version than the diesel of Figo.
(for people bent on getting a Figo only)

Thats with reason - most of the guys do only city driving and only a real world mileage of ~2 more kmpl than the petrol does not justify the 1 lakh. Plus IMO the petrol version is superb for city driving.

I'm kind of missing the gear shiftings of a petrol car. Need to work them more in diesel. Thats because I took out my WagonR last night and I was doing most of the low speed work in 2nd gear.

In the WagonR - the II gear is a workhorse. In the Figo - II gear is a dead horse.

But only in that. The Figo is miles ahead in everything else.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:00   #118
BHPian

Default Mileage.

@brix since you are in chennai.
My daily run is from camp road to mcity at around 9 AM in the morning and back at around 6.30-7 in the evening. I also occasionally drive to shollignallur on some days. I have been consistently getting 16 and I am quoting 16(actually seem to be getting more than that) to put a margin of error just in case i am doing something wrong in calculating the mileage. I have not yet had the first service done. done around 2300 k.

I saw that you seem to be getting 12 which in my opinion is very less. You should get it checked.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:43   #119
Senior - BHPian

@ Vishnu- the route you have mentioned is a very well laid 4 lane highway with relatively less traffic once you get out of Tambaram which is hardly 2-3 kms from Camp Road. I think you should go in the opposite direction i.e. via G.S.T. Road, Mount Road to get to know your city mileage figures. What you are getting now can be treated as you highway FE.

Last edited by longhorn : 21st May 2010 at 15:45.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 17:07   #120
BHPian

Default Highway Mileage.

@longhorn Actually i just recently drove from trivandrum to chennai. I had taken the GST from ulunderpet to tambaram in that case and i had got much better mileage(in the range of 18). I had reported that in one of the earlier posts also. So highway mileage is definitely way better than 15-16. 15-16 is reasonably good especially when you consider the recent rains and all in chennai and the route that i take. When it rains it takes around 45 minutes to get from camp road to tambaram. All in all i am reasonably happy with my mileage.
btw I have gone 2 times to chennai central to drop folks and once to koyembedu bus stand and i agree that i will get lesser mileage if i go that route consistently but even then my mileage didn't drop below 14 on these instances.

@brix what is the route that you usually take?