Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd June 2014, 16:35   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
After all of this you will still see/read motoring magazines/shows praising these germans of their build quality and often speaking rubbish about them being built to last forever. Would be nice to take a printout of all the Team BHP German car issues threads and shove them down their throats to finally make these idiots stop!
I don't think build quality has anything to do with reliability

I, as a consumer, want both, a safe and a reliable car.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2014 at 13:11. Reason: Quoted post edited
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:30   #212
BHPian

Default re: My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't think build quality has anything to do with reliability

Well if you put it that way , you are right!!

I just took both of them together as a single entity so as to.....??

Oh Blast! Well you know what I actually meant don't you?
nakul0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:17   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Arrogance personified! German piece of junk (POLO) plus overconfident VW – perfect mixture for CHAOS

Sorry for not updating this thread for a while. I was out of country till March 2014 and hence couldn’t update.
Gaurav Chopra.
[/b]
Oh No ! Sad to read your post Gaurav. This is very disappointing from a owners point of view. VW is stupid in my opinion. Their sales are going down every qtr., they need to be more Indian(ized) and professional in their after sales support. Reading your posts, VWs after sales support is pathetic IMO, only German Engineering, Innovative Advertising and "Das Auto" won't take them further in Indian market. Better they realize this sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Sell this piece of Junk called Polo and buy something Japanese and enjoy the drive with an assurance that big daddy Maruti ( or any of the other Japenese ones) will look after you no matter what.
No offence please, even my BP shot up reading GCs post, but would like to know what made you comment that 'Polo is junk'. Do you own a Polo, ever driven a Polo ?

I can understand if you drive a bentley, AM, merc, bmw etc, in that case a commoners car can be a piece of junk, to some!

Don't you think, one of the most popular Japanese brands took Indians for a ride with inflated pricing of their car and then suddenly dumped their loyal customers by reducing the price of their car by ~30% followed by discontinued production of that model.
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:27   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
No offence please, even my BP shot up reading GCs post, but would like to know what made you comment that 'Polo is junk'. Do you own a Polo, ever driven a Polo ?
Relax buddy,

I am sorry but the "piece of junk" mentioned is not a general statement towards ALL Polo's.

Humyum mentioned it only for GC's Polo.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd June 2014 at 23:34.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:42   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Relax buddy,

I am sorry but the "piece of junk" mentioned is not a general statement towards ALL Polo's.

Humyum mentioned it only for GC's Polo.

Anurag.
No need to be sorry mate

We love our cars, especially Team-BHPians love their cars irrespective of brand/model ... and we react when we learn our fellow members are ill-treated.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 00:35   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolean View Post
Hi Team BHP,
Nevertheless, I hate to be negative on my first post, but noticed that everybody seems to be favoring selling the car. Will the car be sold after informing prospective buyers about the known issues? I doubt anybody other than scrap dealers would be willing to buy. If the deal is closed by keeping the poor second owner in the dark, how are we better than VW? How can we criticize VW with a a straight face and the next moment, do something equally unethical?
I would never knowingly sell a lemon to anyone. I would rather suffer financial loss.

Following are my words in an email written on 9 June 2014 – 10: 54 AM - to VW India – Marketing Head

Quote:
Visiting the service station again and again is a waste of time, money and effort. Sir, I say it by experience, the problems with this car wont go away. Selling a faulty car to someone else is not ethical. But if the problems remain, we wont be left with any other option but to sell it!
Anyways, for now, we am not selling this car. I had a word with my mechanic regarding the car today and he was confident that there is nothing that I should be worried about. PERIOD. People who know him here on team bhp would vouch for his skills and knowledge with regard to cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
A senior Mod doubted exactly same when I had a word with him over PM. Thats the reason the title of this thread was changed. Anyways the junk I referred to was for 'my polo'. So please don't take any personal offence.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd June 2014 at 00:41.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:27   #217
Senior - BHPian

Read the details on Pg.11.

Shocked! & only one thing to say :

People really need to STOP buying German cars from VW. They don't seem to have the managerial & technical competence to sell & maintain even the puny number of cars they roll out here.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:01   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, for now, we am not selling this car. I had a word with my mechanic regarding the car today and he was confident that there is nothing that I should be worried about. PERIOD. People who know him here on team bhp would vouch for his skills and knowledge with regard to cars.
Hey Gaurav, sorry to hear about your experience with the Polo.

Could you please provide more details about this mechanic. It might help me, since we seem to be in the same part of Delhi.

Last edited by ScorpMan : 23rd June 2014 at 16:04.
ScorpMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 13:21   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This car from now will be going to my regular mechanic. It will no longer see VW service station and to be very honest, it doesnt need to.
Hi GC!

Any update on the problems that you were facing? Any improvement after the fuel pump was replaced?

Thanks.

Anurag.
Old 30th June 2014, 16:41   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any update on the problems that you were facing? Any improvement after the fuel pump was replaced?
Well the car definitely feels better to drive. Although, I have driven it only around 200 kms and my brother drove it around 150 kms, the car behaved pretty normal, No vibration or loss of power. It has shown some tantrums 2 times while staring, but I am not sure if its the battery or anything else. I will get the battery checked over the weekend. While the battery was replaced last year, I need to be sure about it.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 08:23   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well the car definitely feels better to drive. Although, I have driven it only around 200 kms and my brother drove it around 150 kms, the car behaved pretty normal, No vibration or loss of power. It has shown some tantrums 2 times while staring, but I am not sure if its the battery or anything else. I will get the battery checked over the weekend. While the battery was replaced last year, I need to be sure about it.
Good that the car is behaving normally as it should (touchwood). If cranking time is longer than usual then battery is the suspect.

As you say it was replaced last year the warranty will be honoured.

Anurag.
Old 2nd December 2014, 02:13   #222
Senior - BHPian

Default My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar failed again to rectify the problem!

Update: 59k kms on the clock. I will put it in easy points

- Car was fixed in June at around 54 kms on the clock (If I remember right). According to VW Moti Nagar, Fuel Pump was changed and Fuel tank was cleaned to rectify the engine missing and power loss issue (more details available on page 11)

- July and August, the car did fairly ok but the performance was still sluggish. We honestly didnt bother about it.

- September, we started witnessing missing/ power loss problems in the car as soon as the second last dot of fuel used to go (so on reserve last dot remaining). As a preventive measure, we used to get the fuel filled as soon as reserve came in.

- October, the car started giving trouble near the reserve level (so 2 dots remaining). Preventive measure, always maintain fuel level at quarter of tank.

- November around 21st (we had gone for a very important work to gurgaon), the car started giving missing/power loss problems. Some how my brother managed to reach the MG road and we got the work done. I was waiting for him at MG road while he called to inform me.

- November 22nd, my brother had to again go to gurgaon (sohna road) and this time the car troubled over 50 times in a 90 kms stretch (going and coming back)

- Nov 23 and 24th, the car was parked as I had decided to take it to my mechanic and he couldnt source parts on sunday and monday as karol bagh and kashmiri gate are closed on the respective days. I had decided in June only that I would not seek VW or its service center's assistance again.

- Nov 25, I reached my mechanic and he opened the fuel pump and fuel filer in front of me. The fuel tank was dirty, was it supposedly cleaned 4 months back - NO. The fuel filer was choked and was in pretty bad shape. The fuel pump had dust on it and was not performing at its optimum level (checked after changing the filter and cleaning the tank). Was it supposedly changed 4 months back - Our Guess NO.

- Same day, fuel pump was changed (not the complete assembly, just the motor). Cost Rs. 1450/-. Fuel filter was changed - cost Rs. 1250/-. Nearly a quarter of fuel tank drained, fresh petrol worth Rs.500 added. Total damage - 2700 for parts, 500 for fuel and 1500 labour (including cleaning the tank) - Total 4700/-.

- Picked up the car in the evening, drove pretty fine for 20 kms in that Rs.500 fuel (just one dot on the fuel meter - was checking). Next day my brother took the car and nearly 10 kms away the car broke down at delhi cant area. Called my mechanic and he sent his fellow mechanic on bike. Time taken about an hour. He checked the fuel pump and found that a 4-5 inch plastic pipe that goes from motor through the assembly to the fuel connecting lines had gone bust. He got the pipe from a mayapuri and installed it and took the car to his workshop in CP. Same day, the pipe was changed again with original VW pipe (to make sure it doesnt bust). I asked my mechanic to drive it for 100 kms to make sure that the car is doing fine. He drove it for two days around 110 kms and found that the car was fine. Damage - Rs.230/- for the pipe and no extra labour!

- Since then the car has been driven nearly 500 kms and it is doing pretty well. However, today my brother went to a friend's wedding and while returning, about 1 km from home found the engine oil light flashing on the OD. Looks like the car will need 1-2 L of synthetic oil. Its been 12k kms since last service. I used to check the car every 4 weeks earlier but honestly, I dont bother checking this freaking car anymore!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd December 2014 at 02:22.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 19:33   #223
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar failed again to rectify the problem

My only advice to you; do not wait till reserve light comes on to fill fuel. According to manual its recommended that you refill at 1/4 mark. Going below it results in:
1. More strain on fuel pump.
2. Dirt & sediments in tank entering fuel lines.*

*There are always some in tank as fuel we get in India ain't that good.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 00:51   #224
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar failed again to rectify the problem

Update:- I topped up 800 gms of engine oil (5w 40 edge) to get the level back to maximum. However, the engine oil light still seems to be flashing on the OD. Looks like oil pressure switch is Kaput.. DAMN CAR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My only advice to you; do not wait till reserve light comes on to fill fuel. According to manual its recommended that you refill at 1/4 mark. Going below it results in:
1. More strain on fuel pump.
2. Dirt & sediments in tank entering fuel lines.*

*There are always some in tank as fuel we get in India ain't that good.
I completely agree with what you say. However, what I cant understand is, why we haven't had problems with any of the other cars we have had in Family. These are/were Maruti 800 5 speed, Alto 1.1, Indica Diesel, Swift Petrol, Swift Diesel, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Cedia, Maruti Baleno, and Range Rover Evoque Diesel. All these cars are/were filled more or less from the same stations.

Anyways, fuel has already been discussed widely in this thread..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd December 2014 at 01:01.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 06:28   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, today my brother went to a friend's wedding and while returning, about 1 km from home found the engine oil light flashing on the OD. Looks like the car will need 1-2 L of synthetic oil. Its been 12k kms since last service.
Are you seeing any kind of smoke during acceleration or cruising?

I suspect the car is burning oil due to damaged piston rings. As you were pointing out that the fuel filter was in bad state when opened, some dust + muck would have reached the engine causing problems.

Can you hook the car to an OBD reader to find out if there are any error codes registered or no?!

Quote:
Update:- I topped up 800 gms of engine oil (5w 40 edge) to get the level back to maximum. However, the engine oil light still seems to be flashing on the OD. Looks like oil pressure switch is Kaput.. DAMN CAR.
Post the picture of the instrumentation console with that lights, please.

OT:

Hats off to you and your brother for hanging onto this piece of great German engineering. I would have got rid of it it long back. You guys have great patience!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote