Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th November 2010, 09:55   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav, glad to hear it was nothing serious. Is VW offering extended warranty packages on the Polo? If so, this would be a good time to purchase coverage.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 15:21   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I asked where is the customer feedback column on the job card and was told to write comments on a paper (not jobcard) which had the car's other details and that was also signed my me.

I wrote down that this was the third time I was visiting the workshop in last 4 months, 1st for power window problem at 6k kms, then engine oil top up at 8k kms and then the ECU code at 10k kms. If you claim to be the only company to have largest service interval of 15k/1 year, then why am I to visit you every other month.

Also, each time I have visited the service station, it has taken couple of hours for a few minutes job. You should value your customer's time and be as quick as possible. If it takes 2 hours right now for such simple jobs, whats it going to be as the number of VWs increases on the road.

I would appreciate if necessary actions are taken to satisfy customers.
Hi Gaurav, I doubt if your feedback form being submitted to VW, please call the customer care and ask them if they have received your feedback, if yes, then ask them to read it.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 15:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Good that it turned out to be a minor issue. Somehow, the engine check light is very scary!
Your A.S.S experience is not good but mine too has been pretty bad to say the least.
I think all companies are more or less the same. It depends on your local dealer/service station guys and the rapport you maintain with them.

Hope you need not have to visit the service station anytime soon
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:07   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gaurav, glad to hear it was nothing serious. Is VW offering extended warranty packages on the Polo? If so, this would be a good time to purchase coverage.
Thanks GTO. The extended warranty is still not available. I have enquired about it every time I have visited the service station but the answer was always No. All that they are interested in selling is the AMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hi Gaurav, I doubt if your feedback form being submitted to VW, please call the customer care and ask them if they have received your feedback, if yes, then ask them to read it.
Even, I think so. But I am expecting a fedback call from VW and I am going to mention every thing. If I dont get a call in a few days, I will call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Somehow, the engine check light is very scary!

Thats the worst thing, I mean any light popping up on the instrument panel is bad, even the fuel light (who likes to fill again and again), but the engine chk light is the worst.

Your A.S.S experience is not good but mine too has been pretty bad to say the least. I think all companies are more or less the same. It depends on your local dealer/service station guys and the rapport you maintain with them.

Well the most controversial HM (Mitsubishi) has managed to serve me pretty well and I am more than happy with the service I get. I felt similar initially with VW, as I thought they have less cars so the dealer ship will provide good support but as the number is increasing, their tantrums are increasing. I believe thats what happen when you get a lot more than what u expect, all of a sudden.

Lastly, as you rightly said, it depends on the dealer.

Hope you need not have to visit the service station anytime soon

Thanks!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th November 2010 at 11:09.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 11:58   #110
Senior - BHPian

Just about a week and the Engine Check light is back. I was was sleeping when my brother called up this morning, to inform that the engine check light is back, he was on his way to college when he stopped to get water for himself. He says when he started the car, the check light came in. Wow, what a start to the morning.

I got ready to go somewhere, and on my way, my brother calls me again to say that he will visit VW service station in the afternoon and asked me to give them a call to ask if its ok to drive and also tell them that he shall be coming in the afternoon. Meanwhile, a cop waved to stop as I was talking on the phone. Hell, I though. Stopped and he asked for DL. I gave him the DL ad he shows me a rate chart, ya it looked exactly like a rate chart, what fine for what offence. It was 1k for taking on phone. They were a team so, cant help for any thing. Had to pay 1k and was handed a ticket, Perfect.

Since, I had stopped, I called up VW service station and heres the conversation.

Lady: How can I help u?

Me: Can I talk to sachin in service, the engine check light is coming on the instrument panel and he looked at it last week.

Lady: Sir, sachin is not in today, he will come tomorrow.

Me: let me talk to someone else, I wanted to come in today for the check up.

Lady: There's no one here right now. Also, I cannot book an appointment for today, can I book it for tomorrow.

Me: I am not calling to book an appointment. My six months old car is showing engine check light and I dont think its advisable to drive the car with engine check light. Let me speak to any service advisor or some technical person. I am not an idiot to have paid you such a sum for a car thats troubling me every week. If something goes wrong, your sevice people will be the first one to point a finger back at me.

Lady: Hold on for a second.

Advisor comes on line. Jatinder, his name.

Me: tells him the whole story of what happened last time and now the light has come back.

Advisor: Sir, aap gaadi le aaiye and we will check all the wiring this time, to make sure the problem doesnt reappear.

Me: is it ok to drive with the light on

Advisor: If there is no problem in driving, then yes but get it to the service station for check.

Me: Certainly, thats what I called to check but the lady never wanted to understand it.

Advisor: No problem Sir, aap kab ayenge.

Me: my brother or I will come in the afternoon, is it fine.

Advisor: Yes, but you might have to leave the car since the problem has reappeared.

Me: ok, theek honi chahiye, Aap dekh lena. (it shought be put right, thats it)
Also, there are 2 horns on the car.

Advisor: is it trendling or comfortline.

Me: comfortline.

Advisor: yes, 2 in comfortline.

Me: ok, only one on them is working, the other one isnt. Can the light be because of that.

Advisor: dont think so, but we will check.

Me: ok, then my brother or I will see you in the afternoon.

Advisor: ok.

My brother, I suppose will go in the afternoon and he might have to leave the car there. I feel so terrible, have an exam next week and look what I am stuck with.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 30th November 2010 at 12:05.
Old 30th November 2010, 14:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

ok, my brother went to the service station and the car has been reported to have more than usual engine vibration. A VAG-COM test will be conducted and I will get the report in the evening or tomorrow morning. I havent driven the car for last couple of days so I cant really comment on the engine vibration but my brother didnt report anything as such.

Fingers crossed, hope its nothing to worry.

@MODS, can I request to edit the title of the thread. "engine vibration at 10k kms, put on VAG-COM test"
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:29   #112
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
"A new car is a new car..."

"Never buy a flop car..."

Well, if you are thinking that I have gone crazy after a small sunday evening booz, then you are wrong. All my sunday evening plans went for a toss after my brother called me up at 9 to tell me that the engine check light is appearing in our 6 months old 10k driven polo. Did someone say "Germany engineering".

The above comments were what I got when I was to buy a pre-owned Mitsubishi Cedia. A Reliable Japanese car that can compete with any German in the segment. A car that changes meaning of performance for you and still maintains the JAPANESE reliability. A 3 year old car with 58k kms on the clock and still strong.

For those who believe in new car (even my dad does, so no offence to anyone), here I am with a six months old BRAND NEW CAR with 10k kms on the clock and I see engine check light on the display, fantastic. I know it can be as small as a sensor going kaput or even a small code or..I feel afraid writing this.. you know german reliability. It may be a niggling issue or a major issue (will see tomorrow), but the trust in German cars is certainly going for a toss, making me wonder if a basic German car can have such issues, whats it gonna be with the elder ones, the Beamers, Audis, Mercs and other VWs. Come on, dont we all dream of having one!

Come on VW, one of the biggest auto car manufacturer in the world, and you still cant make niggle free cars. Makes me wonder what ROCKET SCIENCE are they using..well,if at all they are?
This is real scary! Gaurav - I had stopped checking your thread since you had stopped updating it. Please update your thread atleast once in 15 days.

Most of the times a car is purchased brand new, just for the sake of depreciation. Other wise 2 year old used car, which has done around 25K is a real VFM. I have used both new and used cars and really not felt much difference. May-be, German engineering will make a difference!!

Germans are always known for creativity, mainly on the mechanical aspects of their products. On the other hand, Japanese are known for their innovative technology, with their electronics.

Interestingly, 3/4 decades back - Japanese were mainly in to mass production, with R&D (Reversing & Duplication) from USA and other developed countries in the world. Something similar to what we see with China today. Obviously, Japan has come a long way since then. China will probably require an-other decade or two.

Technologically, electronics used in todays automobiles is not great at all. Only thing is, tolerance / endurance has to be of a very high order. Somehow, Germans have not been able to get it right.

Looking at all this, I have an-other doubt: ECU self-test programme, may not be an efficient / effective one. It has not been able to pin-point to the root cause. That is the concern. Otherwise, diagnosis & repair should not take much time - even if a problem arises.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:48   #113
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Well, the problem has been diagnosed. There is compression leak from the exhaust side of the Engine head. Complete head and catalytic converter will be replaced under warranty.

I was told about this today and I wasnt surprised as I was suspecting something cheeky. Mr. Jetinder (senior service advisor) and Mr. Jatin (Senior Technician) gave me all the details of the job to be carried out. Both ensured me that complete head assembly will be changed along with gaskets and the problem will not reoccour. They also said that the oil and the oil filter will be replaced. I initially objected to the decision and asked them to put the job on hold till I talk to my friend mechanic and a friend in auto press. Both suggested to get the job done since the complete assembly was to be changed, and no repair job was being carried.

I again went to VW service station to ask them to order parts and get the car ready asap. I was told that the car will be ready by about 8-9 december. When I enquired about the loaner vehicle, I was told that a mail will be marked to VW for the vehicle and I will be given one asap. If not I will be reimbursed for the taxi bill of around 1000-1500/per day. I still insisted on the loaner vehicle so that my brother can use it for commute to his college which is about 35kms each side from home.

Although, a thought of demanding a new engine did come to my mind, I dont have enough time these days to take it up with seniors at VW. However, I am shooting a mail to seniors at VW tomorrow morning, asking for why such an issue has croped up in a brand new car and how can I be assured that the car will serve me good for years to come, considering they are not even offering extended warranty at this point in time.

But I must admit, I was really disappointed with the news of engine head change in a brand new car, but both Mr Jetinder and Mr Jatin answered all my queries, straight forward and ensured help anytime. I atleast felt ok, on service part, since had all wild skoda service thoughts on my mind.

Chethan, please find my replies in bold, and you know how to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This is real scary! Gaurav - I had stopped checking your thread since you had stopped updating it. Please update your thread atleast once in 15 days.

I'd be good not to update than to update an engine head change . Just kidding, wil try to update it regularly.

Most of the times a car is purchased brand new, just for the sake of depreciation. Other wise 2 year old used car, which has done around 25K is a real VFM. I have used both new and used cars and really not felt much difference.

Cant agree more. Saw a new shape 2010 Outlander this morning with 6k on the clock go for 14.5lac. My cousin would have bought it if it didnt have that sold badge.

Germans are always known for creativity, mainly on the mechanical aspects of their products.

I'd like to meet the person who said that..lolz.

On the other hand, Japanese are known for their innovative technology, with their electronics.

Soo true. But even Honda is up there with the best of them with its engines, Misubishi with its overall drivers cars and Toyota with its reliablity and comfort.

Technologically, electronics used in todays automobiles is not great at all. Only thing is, tolerance / endurance has to be of a very high order.

Thats because they are available in abundance in todays automobile. I remember a mitsubishi techniian saying, your cedia should definitely last long without trouble but still it wont be as reliable as the lancer because it has 3 times as many sensors as lancer had.

Somehow, Germans have not been able to get it right.

Well, if they cant get right the electronics and mechanicals also fail from time to time, is it only the driverability that thy can get right
At last, "HEAD or tail, reliability nahi Germans ka khel"...

Last edited by Amartya : 4th December 2010 at 07:19. Reason: Have edited the trhead title, and removed the request from this post.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:57   #114
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo Edit:Engine head change at 6 months,10K

Quote:
Well, the problem has been diagnosed. There is compression leak from the exhaust side of the Engine head. Complete head and catalytic converter will be replaced under warranty.
Sorry Guys, I was keeping busy so couldnt update this thread.

The car came back home on 10 December. I went to the service center and as per promise the car was ready to be delivered. I asked to drive the car before taking it home.

As soon as I started the car, I couldnt feel any vibration in the car. There was vibration in the car from day one and hence I thought that its a normal trait of the 3 cylinder but after the head was replaced there is almost 5% of the vibration of what was evident earlier. The car fells much more smooth, the initial pickup has increased and the average FE too has increased to about 14 from 12.

Although I was impressed by the work done by the service center, I told them what kind of QC was that, a damn new vehicle and they handed it to the customer without a check. Considering the current improved performance of the car, I can say that there was more vibration in from day one.

All this while VW has been boasting about its german engineering and how their so called innovations are for every one. If this is the state of engines coming Europe, I dont have words to say for their QC. I mean I always felt that their QC is better then the Skoda, but the reality is that we have visited the service station 6 times in nine months and within 11k kms.

I am obliged to VW that they are offering 2 year warranty on their new cars. Without it, the customers would have been crying all the way with heafty bills. I mean common a bloody bill of 133,618 excluding tax and labour, i.e. more than INR1.5lac with taxes and labour on a brand new car, the base model of which costs INR5lac. Also, there is no clue if extended warranty will be available in future or not.

Surprisingly, this time I havent recieved any feedback call from VW. But is there a reason to be surprised?

Mr Jatin and Mr Jetinder were very helpful and again answered to all my relevent or irrelevent queries. The service experience was good but the ownership experience till date has not been anything to write about.

Find attached the list of parts that are changed and their prices.

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-polo.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd December 2010 at 19:01.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:17   #115
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo Edit:Engine head change at 6 months,10K

My word, that is one hefty bill. With warranty any owner would have fainted out of shock.

The whole top half of the engine has been replaced on a 6month old car and going by your description, the car left the VW plant with this manufacturing defect.

These are not good signs for VW India.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:21   #116
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that they have rectified the problem under warranty. But what is not so good is that this has happened in just a 6-month old car!

Actually from day 1 in my Polo, I have been feeling that the gearshift is not as smooth as the car I had test-driven. But the SA told me that since it's been just 1000kms on the odo, it will take some time for everything to become 'smooth'. The other day I checked out a new Polo and even that had smoother shifting than my 3-month old Polo! The problem in my car is that sometimes the 1st gear doesn't slot in to place. There is something that stops it. May be I should also visit the workshop asap and get it checked before the warranty period gets over.

Last edited by theragingbull : 23rd December 2010 at 20:22.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:30   #117
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, thats a really huge bill. are they offering any reasons for not extending the warranty period?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 11:53   #118
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The whole top half of the engine has been replaced on a 6month old car and going by your description, the car left the VW plant with this manufacturing defect.

Certainly, I believe that the car left the VW plant with this manufacturing defects. I think since VW was keeping stringent quality checks on the indian suppliers, it forgot to keep the same level of QC on their german supplers.

These are not good signs for VW India.

Definitely, if this is a one of case, they still have a way to go but if its not a one of case, then god bless VW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Good to hear that they have rectified the problem under warranty.

Ya, this time they have under warranty, I wonder whats it gonna be like when the car goes out of warranty.

But what is not so good is that this has happened in just a 6-month old car!

True but I wont expect it to hapen even in a 6 year old car. Our 11 year old 5 speed 800 has done more than 1.65lac kms and engine has never been touched.

Actually from day 1 in my Polo, I have been feeling that the gearshift is not as smooth as the car I had test-driven. But the SA told me that since it's been just 1000kms on the odo, it will take some time for everything to become 'smooth'. The other day I checked out a new Polo and even that had smoother shifting than my 3-month old Polo! The problem in my car is that sometimes the 1st gear doesn't slot in to place. There is something that stops it. May be I should also visit the workshop asap and get it checked before the warranty period gets over.

With shifting problem, first thing you need to check is if something is hindering the shift from the gear lever area. Ask the SA to get the center console off and check if the carpet or something else is hindering the shifts. Also get shifter lubricated when center console is removed. Second thing that needs to be checked is the shifter cables and the last thing I would suspect is an issue with the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Whoa, thats a really huge bill. are they offering any reasons for not extending the warranty period?
VW has not yet come up with extended warranty on Polo. No one including the advisors know if and when it will be available. The advisor told me that the company offers extended warranty on Passat but not on Jetta, That surprised me a bit, why that segregation.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 24th December 2010 at 11:56.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:34   #119
BHPian

Hi Gaurav, good to hear finally the problem is rectified. Have you ever tried to talk to other Polo owners at VW service station ? What was other's take on Polo ? I insisted one of my good friend to buy 1.2 Polo petrol. Hope his car will not face much of issues.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 00:52   #120
BHPian

I am sorry to hear this Gaurav. Really felt bad to see this happening to a new car. We should report these things to the VW global HQ to make them aware of these issues coming up in Indian Polos. I have access to top management of VW India and I will send them this news.

Since they removed the faulty engine head assembly, you should not worry about it now. Enjoy the car.
gkoneti is offline   Reply With Quote