Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th December 2010, 13:06   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo Edit:Engine head change at 6 months,10K

Scary!!. Its just a few more weeks before I get my new Vento TDI. I really thought about it again couple of times recently after seeing all these ownership notes.

Hope your issue is over once and for ever!!!
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 10:13   #122
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Its Red,it looks Sporty & its the VW Polo Edit:Engine head change at 6 months,10K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hi Gaurav, good to hear finally the problem is rectified. Have you ever tried to talk to other Polo owners at VW service station ? What was other's take on Polo ? I insisted one of my good friend to buy 1.2 Polo petrol. Hope his car will not face much of issues.
Thanks Pawan, I see a lot more polos on the road and hope the car will serve all owners well. Yest, I went to gujranwala town in delhi and saw 7 polos on one street. A distant relative puts up there and I met him after a long time. He too owns a polo and have not had any issues as such.

I couldn't talk to the polo owners at the service station as I visited the station only twice for a short span. Also, the service station doesnt allow customers inside the workshop. Hence, most people hand in their vehicles and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
I am sorry to hear this Gaurav. Really felt bad to see this happening to a new car. We should report these things to the VW global HQ to make them aware of these issues coming up in Indian Polos. I have access to top management of VW India and I will send them this news.

Since they removed the faulty engine head assembly, you should not worry about it now. Enjoy the car.
Thanks mate. VW global HQ does know about the issues and hope they will solve them asap. The VW top management and even the marketing people are much more aware and willing to work for the customers contrary to their sister concern Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Scary!!. Its just a few more weeks before I get my new Vento TDI. I really thought about it again couple of times recently after seeing all these ownership notes.

Hope your issue is over once and for ever!!!
Initial batch of most cars do have minor issues, but something as big as this is very unacceptable, it breaks the trust in the car. But considering VW expansion plans for india, they cant afford to take their chances with reliability. Dont worry, get the car and enjoy.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 11:48   #123
BHPian

Have there been any other cases of head replacements coming up on this forum?

The truth is, no matter how hard any manufacturer tries to ensure all its vehicles meet the same quality standards, occassionally one bad example always makes it to the consumer. Just pay a visit to a Toyota/ Honda dealership and see for yourself. What is important is that the dealer rectifies the problem and ensures that it never arises again.

I have a Polo TDI, one of the first delivered in Mumbai. I wanted the first allotment because most parts would have come from other, more established VW suppliers, as opposed to VW India's newly set up supplier base.

I haven't had any issues with the car yet. Infact, VW just had a "inspection camp" at their dealers and they seem to have installed newer engine software to make the car even smoother!
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:21   #124
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav, when we earlier communicated on your thread, I was happy that it was nothing serious (or so, it seemed). But GOSH, a head replacement is definitely not good news. Add to that, the number of visits you / your brother made, before they diagnosed the problem accurately.

VW's suffer from a poor reliability track record in N/America. If they don't get things right, the Polo & Vento will be badged as "unreliable, high maintenance" cars (much like most other Germans). I've also been hearing of pre-mature turbo failures on other diesel Polos.

Either ways, I hope your car doesn't face any major problems for a long time to come.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 21:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

That's a rude shock to all those singing about VW's quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I have a Polo TDI, one of the first delivered in Mumbai. I wanted the first allotment because most parts would have come from other, more established VW suppliers, as opposed to VW India's newly set up supplier base.
Did you check this post delivery? I mean "This part is made by more established VW supplier" as opposed to "This part is made by a newbie supplier for VW from India". You pay a premium price to VW for all the quality claims they make. Don't be kidding yourself by blaming the newly set up supplier base.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 21:19   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gaurav, sad to hear about your problem and hope it never comes back!

You had gone through a lot of visits to the service centre in the last 6 months which should never have been the case. But, unlike other cases, this is indeed a really serious issue which is never expected of a new car.

People in general think of VW as a premium car maker particularly looking at their build quality, fit and finish etc and that's why they are flocking to the showrooms to buy the Vento and Polo. But, if things like this keep on happening, all that trust on the brand will evaporate quickly.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 22:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Have there been any other cases of head replacements coming up on this forum?

Not as of now, but other niggling issues such as power window not working, seat belt noise, engine oil consumption and hand brake issues have been reported in N number of cars. Front windscreen fogging is another issue, which I heard have been addressed in Vento.

The truth is, no matter how hard any manufacturer tries to ensure all its vehicles meet the same quality standards, occassionally one bad example always makes it to the consumer. Just pay a visit to a Toyota/ Honda dealership and see for yourself. What is important is that the dealer rectifies the problem and ensures that it never arises again.

As I always say, problem can come in any machinery, its all about manufacturer accepting its fault and putting it right. But still if we talk number, there will be more number of german cars per thousand to have problem than the number of Japanese cars. Ofcourse, the Japs can get trouble some at time but thats still not as bad as germans can get.

Since, this is our first german car, I am very badly hurt. We have owned all sorts of brands including, Maruti Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi and even Tata, but never has such a major issue with any of the cars.

Lastly, I must admit, the service station has done the job very good, most of the time there are niggling issues which need to be ironed out after such a job this big, but I havent felt the need for now to visit the service station again. I hope, I will be visiting the service station in March for the service, when I will have to again get the oil and filter changed. They did change the same along with head change but I have been asked to follow service schedules as normal.

50% parts of polo are still sourced from Germany including the engine parts. I have worked for an automotive company which make reports on auto suppliers across the globe. I can find out the very facility of the supplier where the head is manufactured, but I dont want to go that way. Most of the parts sourced from India till now are chassis and interior components.

Localising engine parts will be last on the sourcing list of VW. Only thing I can assume is that there has been some gap in the QC at aurangabad plant.

I haven't had any issues with the car yet. Infact, VW just had a "inspection camp" at their dealers and they seem to have installed newer engine software to make the car even smoother!

Nice, what kind of software are we talking about, it can make the car more smooth but does it effect the output of the car. VW was in a hurry to launch polo in India, all this should have been done before the launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gaurav, when we earlier communicated on your thread, I was happy that it was nothing serious (or so, it seemed). But GOSH, a head replacement is definitely not good news. Add to that, the number of visits you / your brother made, before they diagnosed the problem accurately.

I cant forget that, I had a bloody exam and I was running to the service station. Nightmare. Add to that, there is still no extended warranty, so once the car goes of warranty, something like this will be a hole in pocket.

VW's suffer from a poor reliability track record in N/America. If they don't get things right, the Polo & Vento will be badged as "unreliable, high maintenance" cars (much like most other Germans). I've also been hearing of pre-mature turbo failures on other diesel Polos.

Dont know why but the quality of VW has not been consistant across the globle, In Europe they are considered to be reliable, which was one factor I opted for the car and then on the other hand they have been tagged unreliable in N America.

For turbo failure, all they can blame is the poor fuel quality. Wonder, how our now 11 year old 800 coped with it for all these years, or how my cousin's Japanese import 1999 Lancer coped with the same.

Either ways, I hope your car doesn't face any major problems for a long time to come.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
That's a rude shock to all those singing about VW's quality!

They themselves started singing and people just joined them.

Did you check this post delivery? I mean "This part is made by more established VW supplier" as opposed to "This part is made by a newbie supplier for VW from India". You pay a premium price to VW for all the quality claims they make. Don't be kidding yourself by blaming the newly set up supplier base.

This part certainly is an import from Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey Gaurav, sad to hear about your problem and hope it never comes back!

Thanks

People in general think of VW as a premium car maker particularly looking at their build quality, fit and finish etc and that's why they are flocking to the showrooms to buy the Vento and Polo. But, if things like this keep on happening, all that trust on the brand will evaporate quickly.

If premium cars are such, I am happy with the most under rated ones. Atleast they keep me happy.

I am ok with high service cost but reliability is something I wont like to compromise on.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 4th January 2011 at 22:26.
Old 4th January 2011, 22:38   #128
BHPian

Wow that is one scary incident that you have already gone through. I really hope yours was just a one off case and overall the polo will be a trouble free car. Engine head replacement is a very uncommon thing even in high mileage cars. Did you not push for a car replacement once the problem was identified considering how new your car was?
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 23:16   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Did you not push for a car replacement once the problem was identified considering how new your car was?
I could have, but I didn't have enough time to take it up with VW. These things take time and taking it up with VW would have meant further hassle. I had a word with couple of people and was suggested that until the complete head is changed, I shouldn't worry. But if something else comes up now, I will be asking for a new vehicle. I just hope I dont have to.
Old 4th March 2011, 19:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Default 15k UPDATE.

Well it has been over 10 months and 15k kms living with this German Kid. He has been fun to live with but at the same time, he’s been notorious too. Visits to doctor (service station) were regular but ever since he has been through major treatment (head change), the kid has rather managed well.

He is doing his duty fine and also manages to run with me a couple of times a week. He is always eager to run (high revving engine) and athletic at the same time (handling is still a benchmark for others in this segment). His elder brother (1.6) has the potential to outrun most competitors and critics; and can easily be a tuners favorite.

The kid is usually not very hungry (FE-14kmpl in city and 16kmpl on highway), but ask him to run and he starts feeling hungry (FE- under 8-9kmpl, 4-6k rpm).

Last month, on a run with my brother, outside motibagh gurudwara on ring road, 6 guys collided one after other. The first four guys bumped one after another, but the german kid at fifth managed to avoid bumping into Japanese Uncle (Innova), who was on 4th position. However, a notorious Korean kid (santro) at sixth rammed into the german kid and our german kid bumped into the Jap uncle. Although there was no visible injuries up front to the kid, the rear was a bit bad. The bumper had 2 cracks but the paint was intact. Apart from that, a biker too bumped into the rear left quarter panel and the left rear door. Again the paint was not chipped on the door and just half cm on the quarter panel, but there was dent on the quarter panel and the door. I must admit, the paint is the best among all cars I have seen this side of 10 lacs and also among most this side of 20 lacs.

I took the kid to the doctor again and was given a given a estimate of 23k for the treatment. 4.3k per piece for paint which includes rear quarter panel, rear door and front and rear bumper and about 5.5k for the rear bumper. I had to pay 3k from my pocket and the rest was to be taken care from insurance. But here is the catch, there is a 50% no claim worth rupees 8k, which would have gone wasted. Further, there was no much visible damage apart from rear bumper and quarter panel and then with no paint chipped, I thought, was it worth spending 11k from my pocket. Moreover, we Indians are used to trying desi nuskas before going to doctors and I must say it sometimes work.

Hence, I took the kid to a baba (local denter, advised by a cousin, who got dent off his optra). I was told that the dent on the door will be all gone without any problem, I wont even know it. The one on the quarter panel can go 100%, if I let him cut one of the steel sheets from inside, and if not, it can still be done 80% fine. I didn’t approve cutting the sheet and asked the denter to get it 80% fine. The rear bumper was welded from inside and just a line can be seen on bumper to which I agreed, got bhp sticker went over it.. lolzz. All inclusive, it costed me Rs.700/-, savings of Rs.10.3k. I could have got the bumper painted but will it remain scratch free for very long again on our roads?

Last week, the kid completed over 14.5k kms and it was time for service. Since the Japanese Boy (Cedia) was up for a tuner too, I thought it’d be a good idea to get both of them serviced together, since service station of both are within half a km. So, I dropped the cedia a day before in the evening at asian motors and thought will take polo in tomorrow morning.

Now, I am used to going in early morning to service station (be it Mitsubishi (9:30), Honda (8:30) or Suzuki(9)) before they get too crowded but at VW, I was asked to take appointment and then come back. It was Sachin, with whom I have interacted a few times earlier. I was like ok, you’re the in thing and can do what you wish to. But if you want to be arrogant, I am stubborn too. Went to Mitsubishi service station and thought of going back once seniors arrive at the VW. Went back again at 10:45 and had a word with Mr Jatin, senior technician at the VW and asked him if he can take the car the same day as it will difficult for me to come in again because I will be driving back cedia home. He said he can’t promise delivery of polo this evening but I can take the car tomorrow morning. I was fine with it, so dropped the car with them.

A few problems were reported but were not taken care of fully. These included
  • Driver power window, which still plays occasionally.
  • Rear drums make a lot of noise.
  • Seats were dirty, so got them dry cleaned.
    When I went to take the delivery of the car the next morning, the rear drums were still noisy, was told its because the car was washed last evening and its because of moisture, will go in a day, but after a week, the noise is still there. The dry cleaned seats still had dirty head rests (driver and two rears) and back of the rear seat visible from the boot was dirty. I asked them to clean it and that took another 45 mins.
Apart from this, service cost was Rs. 7912/-, details of which are as follows

Parts
Oil Filter:- 108
Air Filter:-295
Fuel Filter :- 413
AC Filter:- 667
Distil Water:- 20
Wind Screen Cleaner:- 202
Seal Ring:- 13
Drain Plug:- 55
Engine Oil 5W 40:- 2897

All the above parts excluding Engine oil includes 12.5% VAT, and Oil prices includes 20% VAT.

Labour
Interior Cleaning:- 1103
Paid Service:- 1269
Synthetic Lubrication:- 331
Wheel Alignment:- 540
All the above labour charges include Edu cess @3% and Service Charge @ 10%.

Total Bill:- 7,912/-

I was just smiling when the advisor told me the segregation while billing, wind screen washer at 200, distil water at 20, wheel alignment at 540 and synthetic lubrication at 330. Synthetic Lubrication is some kinda lubrication that according to service station is applied to suspension parts. Said no to balancing as it was in perfect shape, would have costed another Rs.500 plus weights.

Also, did 5 Wheel rotation, no extra charges for the same.

The car was gleaming from outside after a thorough wash and I loved it once again. The engine bay was cleaned by a cloth and was not the way I like it (It was half clean and I like it gleaming again). But in polo, you cant help it, the ECU is in the engine bay and hence, the bay cannot be washed.

The service interval on the mid was not reset back to 15k kms, so my brother had to revisit the service station to get it reset. Why can they check everything before delivery.

A few good things about the car I still like.
  • Its still the best looking hatch in India, and I still get the Gimmi Red feeling.
  • The interiors feel rather more refreshing at night after the dull yellow interior lights of swift and cedia. The red light being very powerful makes a distinct statement.
  • The interiors are rattle free even after 15k kms. The swift sounded like a blown drum at this time.
  • European door handle and arm rests
  • Got artificial leather seat covers for 3k (MRP 6k) from brother’s friend, who first got the same for his vento. Its reassuring to know that the seats will not get dirty easily. Although, I am not in favour of artificial leather (if it has to be leather, it has to be Stanley, but then you have to have moolah for that...hehe) for it being too sweaty in summers, a good set of sun films and the decently powerful AC of polo should make sure that we don’t sweat in summers. The rear seat covers had the pattern stitched wrongly because of some confusion with split seats, so have given the rear ones back for replacement.
  • Wheel covers are of excellent quality, still intact after 15k kms (touchwood, they cost a bomb at 1650/-per piece).
  • The dual horn is still loud and clear (although one was changed along with head in december)
  • The steel sill plates I got.
A few things that are sorely missed
  • A dead pedal
  • A center arm rest
  • Rear Defogger
  • Individual door locks on the inside
  • Rear door power window switches on driver side door.
One thing I hate
  • Rear view mirror needs adjustment everytime you switch to nigh mode and vice versa.
Overall, it was an average experience, but Mr. Jatin was again very helpful. The service advisor and the staff however, still lack motivation for better services. Again, there is still no clue of extended warranty.

All in All, we lovingly spend time with our German Kid, and we wish it stays in its perfect shape for years to come.

Please find attached a few pics along with the pics of rear door, quarter panel and bumper.

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00383.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00384.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00385.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00386.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00387.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00388.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00389.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00390.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00391.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00392.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00393.jpg

My horribly unreliable VW Polo. VW Moti Nagar fails again to rectify the problem!-dsc00394.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 4th March 2011 at 20:01.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 21:28   #131
BHPian

Good I read your thread, I was about to close the deal yesterday for 1.6 Polo. After reading your thread thinking of moving to something else then. Not sure if this is the case, what will be cost of running after warranty gets over.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 00:08   #132
BHPian

Default Re: 15k UPDATE.

Thanks Gaurav for the update on your Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
...Visits to doctor (service station) were regular but ever since he has been through major treatment (head change), the kid has rather managed well.
Well, some of these updates in Team-BHP made me afraid of my car, honestly, never know when this issue pops-up and especially when SA is asking... is there any engine vibrations?

Quote:
The kid is usually not very hungry (FE-14kmpl in city and 16kmpl on highway), but ask him to run and he starts feeling hungry (FE- under 8-9kmpl, 4-6k rpm).
Personally, I am very happy with the FE, beyond my expectations of ~12km/l.

Quote:
All inclusive, it costed me Rs.700/-, savings of Rs.10.3k. I could have got the bumper painted but will it remain scratch free for very long again on our roads?
I believe your are correct in your assessment here, but I envy you when I see your rapport with your local mechanic, wish I have one like you too, he he he

Quote:
wheel alignment at 540 and synthetic lubrication at 330.
hhmmm, good to know this info, I was of the impression at least wheel alignment which is mentioned in the manual too would be free of cost.

Quote:
But in polo, you cant help it, the ECU is in the engine bay and hence, the bay cannot be washed.
I had my car washed including engine bay with plastics put on the ECU and battery, and it was fine, is there any reason you are saying this?

I would be more alert next time I take my car for thorough wash.

Quote:
A few good things about the car I still like.
  • Its still the best looking hatch in India, and I still get the Gimmi Red feeling.
  • The interiors feel rather more refreshing at night after the dull yellow interior lights of swift and cedia. The red light being very powerful makes a distinct statement.
  • The interiors are rattle free even after 15k kms. The swift sounded like a blown drum at this time.
  • European door handle and arm rests
  • Wheel covers are of excellent quality, still intact after 15k kms (touchwood, they cost a bomb at 1650/-per piece).
  • The dual horn is still loud and clear (although one was changed along with head in december)
  • The steel sill plates I got.
A few things that are sorely missed[list]
Agree to most of the things you mentioned, cannot go in comparison with other cars as this is my first real owned car, so happy with most of the things but yes, hand rest I missed and door locking mechanism is quite "unique".

Quote:
All in All, we lovingly spend time with our German Kid, and we wish it stays in its perfect shape for years to come.
Ya, we all hope so, last week I enquired at dealership about Polo AMC... sadly I was told there is no news from VW, hope it comes too.

Keep updating this thread, as your PoV is always a good read as you own/drive multiple cars.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 14:12   #133
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Good I read your thread, I was about to close the deal yesterday for 1.6 Polo. After reading your thread thinking of moving to something else then.

Well, its the non availability of extended warranty that should be a concern. The 1.6 is certainly the best hatch in India but reliability is something one is always concerned about, especially in case of the Germans.

Not sure if this is the case, what will be cost of running after warranty gets over.

I will let you know as soon as I know about it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Well, some of these updates in Team-BHP made me afraid of my car, honestly, never know when this issue pops-up and especially when SA is asking... is there any engine vibrations?

Its the initial batch of Polo which had the problem of compresion leaks. Since, yours is not the initial batch, be least bothered.

I was of the impression at least wheel alignment which is mentioned in the manual too would be free of cost.

No free services mate.

I had my car washed including engine bay with plastics put on the ECU and battery, and it was fine, is there any reason you are saying this?

I would be more alert next time I take my car for thorough wash.

Did you get the car washed at service station. If yes, how did they was the engine bay. The ECU is in the engine bay and you cant afford to have a drop of water anywhere around it. Its not recommended by VW.

Also, if you get the car washed outside, make sure you dont get the engine bay washed next time.

Lastly, its no problem to put water on battery till the car is switched off.

Ya, we all hope so, last week I enquired at dealership about Polo AMC... sadly I was told there is no news from VW, hope it comes too.

Now, I am a bit skeptical if extended warranty will actually be available on Polo.

Keep updating this thread, as your PoV is always a good read

Thanks Mate, will surely keep updating this thread.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:14   #134
BHPian

The bill that came out of this exercise is enough to get a Tata Nano!!! A 1.5L bill on a 5L car.
This is one heck of a scary experience.
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 15:20   #135
BHPian

Heyy Gaurav..!!
Just went through your series of posts about the Engine Head Change...

Coming to your comment "Its the initial batch of Polo which had the problem of compresion leaks"
Boss !!! my Polo is from the first batch Manufactured in May and just getting worried big time...
Already facing a Driver side Power Window occassional problem.

But What is this Compression leak about ?? Is the engine Icon the only way you got to know of it or did your polo start misbehaving as an indicator..?

Brgds,
Sachin.

Last edited by sachinsumant : 10th March 2011 at 15:21. Reason: Was in bold
sachinsumant is offline   Reply With Quote