Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th May 2010, 09:33   #1
BHPian

Default Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report

Hello BhPians

I finally had the good luck of testing out the New Jetta with the 2.0 TD CRDi engine. I just have one word, German engineering marvel.

Dealership: Elite Motors, Bangalore were very courteous and prompt. I am very happy with the way the whole thing was arranged. The got the car to my home on time and I could assess the vehicle for a full 2.5 hours. The Consultant Mr. Bopanna was very pleasing and did not seem disgusted with my minute assessment. He was always ready with answers and demoing stuff. 10\10 rating on this. i have full confidence on them.

Pricing: 19.82 lacs, seems to be on the higher side but seems to be of good value but on the lower side of things.

Styling & lights: The styling has not changed much. It is the same exterior design. The lights are powerful but not sure if they will do better than the other aftermarket stuff we have. No Xenons or projectors yet.

Wheels: 16" alloys which really look sporty. However does not look fresh and still from the older Jetta.

Interiors: A lot of changes on the inside. The lights on the switches are Maroon in color and look fantastic at nights. The seats are simply superb. However no power seat options yet. The MFD display is good too. The quality of leather used is very good. The cooled glovebox and other cubby holes are very spacious. The steering wheel is fully functional and is very ergonomic. The buttons have nice backlighting.

Safety Features: It has all the safety features in this range like EDL, ESP, ABS, TCS and ASR. 8 airbags inspire confidence. The auto dimming mirrors are only available for the inside mirror and not the ORVMs even though this is a top end variant.

Engine: This is the best part and a true gem. No turbo lag and it drives like crazy. The new engine is a lot smoother and a little more silent. But still does raise a racket. The power delivery is linear and the engine does not tend to stall even on higher gears, i could do 35 in 4th gear. I beat the hell out of it and it was ready to take any amount of acceleration.

Stereo: 10 speaker touch screen system, I give it a 10\10 for the punchy low ends and the crispy hi-end frequencies. A very capable stereo system.

Ride and Handling: Very good ride quality, my wife did not complain even when I bumped the car at 30 kms speed on huge potholes on the outer ring road near sarjapur road. All we heard were thuds but no hard effect on us. Handling is too good and you can take any corner anything that indian roads throw at you. Turning radius is also good as well. I was in the traffic and took a short U over the broken median at a snap . However the ground clearance is a huge problem. I almost hit every large speedbreaker. The cruise control is good as well.

Drawbacks: The comfortline comes at a whopping 20L but still has No sunroof, no xenons, no headlamp washers, no parktronic, no projector headlamps, no dynamic levelling, no bluetooth and the list is endless. I beleive they should atleast accomodate the Headlamp technology from the skoda laura LnK for the comfortline. The ground clearance is a major drawback, not sure why VW thought 152 mm is enough in India.

Pros: Great build quality and safety features. The Car does feel like an expensive one. Good ride quality and handling. Maintenance window is good with 15k kms or 1 year.

I am seriously considering to buy this car, but spec by spec the Laura 2009 Ambiente 2.0 MT is a more value for money. My research tells me that if you want a german sedan with value for money, then laura ambiente is the one. However if someone wants to buy the laura elegance then Jetta comfrotline is a good buy at the price of laura elegance and has a lot of features neck to neck.
sammycoolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:19   #2
BHPian

Smile

Nice review buddy .... I guess the first one for jetta crdi here. Did you take any pictures of new interiors ??
0-100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review. Don't understand the reference to "torture drive" in the subject line though. Can you explain? I initially thought this was a negative report when I saw just the link.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:53   #4
BHPian

+1 to Axe. The title was surely misleading. Finally VW have left the PD engines and goin for CRDi in Indian versions.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 15:26   #5
BHPian

Don't expect any creature comforts from Jetta. Its purely built for enjoying the German engineering.
Good to hear that the Diesel clatter had reduced.
Any idea about the Eng. spec.? WRT to old model.

Yes GC is an irritating thing for Indian condition. But a thick metal sheet in provided underneath to protect from Carters and to avoid damage of oil sump. Bothers you at the beginning, but you get used to it and can safely go-over humps. The same applies for Linea as well.

Last edited by Praveen1 : 6th May 2010 at 15:29.
Praveen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 10:56   #6
BHPian

That was a great review , i too have test driven the jetta twice the first drive i did in bangalore i felt engine clutter was high but when i took it out for a spin the second time in chennai i realised it was only when you hit the gas hard otherwise its smooth and definetley no turbo lag and suspension awesome
features superb
and end of the day its german engineering and they own about 10 companies including porche, skoda, buggati ............. to name a few
Nice review finally found someone with the same feeling aabout this car ,i too have decided on it
what colour appealed to you most i felt shadow blue was cool
sag_kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 10:39   #7
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

is jetta CKD or CBU?
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
Hello BhPians

I finally had the good luck of testing out the New Jetta with the 2.0 TD CRDi engine. I just have one word, German engineering marvel.

Dealership: Elite Motors, Bangalore were very courteous and prompt. I am very happy with the way the whole thing was arranged. The got the car to my home on time and I could assess the vehicle for a full 2.5 hours. The Consultant Mr. Bopanna was very pleasing and did not seem disgusted with my minute assessment. He was always ready with answers and demoing stuff. 10\10 rating on this. i have full confidence on them.

Pricing: 19.82 lacs, seems to be on the higher side but seems to be of good value but on the lower side of things.

Styling & lights: The styling has not changed much. It is the same exterior design. The lights are powerful but not sure if they will do better than the other aftermarket stuff we have. No Xenons or projectors yet.

Wheels: 16" alloys which really look sporty. However does not look fresh and still from the older Jetta.

Interiors: A lot of changes on the inside. The lights on the switches are Maroon in color and look fantastic at nights. The seats are simply superb. However no power seat options yet. The MFD display is good too. The quality of leather used is very good. The cooled glovebox and other cubby holes are very spacious. The steering wheel is fully functional and is very ergonomic. The buttons have nice backlighting.

Safety Features: It has all the safety features in this range like EDL, ESP, ABS, TCS and ASR. 8 airbags inspire confidence. The auto dimming mirrors are only available for the inside mirror and not the ORVMs even though this is a top end variant.

Engine: This is the best part and a true gem. No turbo lag and it drives like crazy. The new engine is a lot smoother and a little more silent. But still does raise a racket. The power delivery is linear and the engine does not tend to stall even on higher gears, i could do 35 in 4th gear. I beat the hell out of it and it was ready to take any amount of acceleration.

Stereo: 10 speaker touch screen system, I give it a 10\10 for the punchy low ends and the crispy hi-end frequencies. A very capable stereo system.

Ride and Handling: Very good ride quality, my wife did not complain even when I bumped the car at 30 kms speed on huge potholes on the outer ring road near sarjapur road. All we heard were thuds but no hard effect on us. Handling is too good and you can take any corner anything that indian roads throw at you. Turning radius is also good as well. I was in the traffic and took a short U over the broken median at a snap . However the ground clearance is a huge problem. I almost hit every large speedbreaker. The cruise control is good as well.

Drawbacks: The comfortline comes at a whopping 20L but still has No sunroof, no xenons, no headlamp washers, no parktronic, no projector headlamps, no dynamic levelling, no bluetooth and the list is endless. I beleive they should atleast accomodate the Headlamp technology from the skoda laura LnK for the comfortline. The ground clearance is a major drawback, not sure why VW thought 152 mm is enough in India.

Pros: Great build quality and safety features. The Car does feel like an expensive one. Good ride quality and handling. Maintenance window is good with 15k kms or 1 year.

I am seriously considering to buy this car, but spec by spec the Laura 2009 Ambiente 2.0 MT is a more value for money. My research tells me that if you want a german sedan with value for money, then laura ambiente is the one. However if someone wants to buy the laura elegance then Jetta comfrotline is a good buy at the price of laura elegance and has a lot of features neck to neck.
>>> Welcome to the club - in advance

I opted for the Jetta Comfortline a year ago, after test driving the Corolla Altis and the Honda Civic ( all three automatics). It is a terrific highway cruiser, the 6 speed DSG is smooth as silk and imperceptible in its gear changes most of the time and it has terrific torque despite a 'low' power rating of 103 odd bhp. I drive my Jetta on a daily basis on some of the worst roads and traffic conditions in Mumbai and have also driven it to nearby places such as Shirdi, Udwada, Uran and also on long highway drives to Udaipur, Mount Abu etc.

I am normally a safe driver, so have done a high of 165 kmph on the deserted National Expressway 1 ( Baroda-Ahmedabad) only. In Bombay the average speed drops to hardly 25 kmph and most of the time the car is in third gear; however the engine is very tractable and pulls very very readily.

It gives me approximately 10 kmpl in bumper to bumper, stop and go city driving and approximately 15kmpl on highways with a payload of approximately 325 kgs ( including four passengers in all). It is rugged, safe and gives me a feeling of indestructibility that other cars in its category can't touch, leave alone equal.

I have the PD engine, which does have clatter if you roll down the windows, otherwise I don't feel it. The PD has 'peaky' power as compared to the CRDI and the latter is certainly a more refined unit in comparison.

The ground clearance is on the lower side and I have scraped a few speed breakers, especially in my highway runs, but I understand they have a metallic plate which protects the innards. No issues there.

My driving experience in the Jetta and service experience with VW has been right up there and I certainly recommend the Jetta, based on my experience.

Another reason for my liking this car was its 'bland' looks as compared to the more stylish looking Civic- I prefer my car to be low profile and not be a sheep in wolf's clothing generally.

I am a techno-whiz and am not unduly interested in ICE or aftermarket fitments, so the only things that I have done are :

1. Rear windscreen see through screen
2. Sun film ( VKool, transparent with a high IR & UV rejection ratio)
3. Rubberised luggage tray in the boot
4. Mudflaps
5. Metal accelerator and brake pedals

I have consciously not chosen parking sensors as VW doesn't recommend any as an OEM fitment and am not comfortable without VW's recommendation.

I might replace the headlamps with HID (Xenon) once I find out the pros and cons; I don't want to tamper with the specifications of the wiring harness and intend to keep the power and current for the HIDs within the original design specifications-most shortcircuits and fires happen due to poor configuration and fitting of aftermarket gizmos.

You may refer to my buying experience and initial driving experience in the thread Got my VW Jetta.

I can say with reasonable certainty that my next car, whenever it comes, will be a german.

Miles of smiles and safe driving!

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 14:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

So Jetta does not have even the rear parking sensors?
My Laura (Tsi which is the lowest trim level) has it - and it's nicely integrated with the ICE display.

If VW do not offer any and also not recommend any as OEM, they are idiots and taking you for a ride...
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 15:02   #10
BHPian

Another point :

My original choice was the Skoda Octavia vRS, but it had been discontinued by the time I started looking. The newer Octavia, aka Laura in India, shares the underpinings (engines, transmissions etc.) with the VW but I was led to understand that as Skoda is the 'budget' brand in the VW group ( VW is the 'mainstream' brand, Audi is the 'premium' brand and so on) the quality benchmarks would be set accordingly.

Also, my initial experiences with the Skoda dealers was not too satisfactory and I found the Laura a wee bit meretricious vis-avis the Jetta. Thankfully, for I was to find out later in t-bhp that a few Skoda's had become problematic.

Touch wood.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 15:14   #11
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post

Turning radius is also good as well. I was in the traffic and took a short U over the broken median at a snap . However the ground clearance is a huge problem. I almost hit every large speedbreaker. The cruise control is good as well.
Agree with the lack of turbo lag. The pickup with smooth & linear. I am not sure about the stalling part though. I found the engine tend to stall during standing starts unless you keep the revs a little high. This has happened more than few times to me, when i come to dead slow and then try to move on 2nd gear, but the engine would stall.

I too felt the car was very nimble in traffic. Looking at 5.45m turning circle radius, i thought maneuverability might take a hit, but on the contrary i was able to throw it around in tight corners and small gaps in traffic in spite of its large dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

It gives me approximately 10 kmpl in bumper to bumper, stop and go city driving and approximately 15kmpl on highways with a payload of approximately 325 kgs ( including four passengers in all). It is rugged, safe and gives me a feeling of indestructibility that other cars in its category can't touch, leave alone equal.
That's it Going by Octavia experience i expected the FE to be in the range of 12-14 in city & 18-19 on highways.

Sammy-boy: What's the FE you are getting ??
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report

Hi Sammy,

I know the Jetta comes with a Aux input. But is there an option to play from USB. Does the HU support USB?

Thanks in advance,
VW2010
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 10:25   #13
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline 2.0 CrTDI : Test Drive And Initial Report

No you cannot connect a usb devise as there is no option for that, it only comes with a aux and sd card reader, and optional blutooth connectivity but you need to purchase the kit which i suppose will cost you 20-30k.
Old 17th January 2011, 17:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No you cannot connect a usb devise as there is no option for that, it only comes with a aux and sd card reader, and optional blutooth connectivity but you need to purchase the kit which i suppose will cost you 20-30k.
Thanks Sag_KV.

I guess i have to live without USB which i found was "easy" in my Pioneer system. Now have to start burning discs and collect SD cards and load them with songs. I may have to get tiny labels with details of songs in them
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 04:24   #15
BHPian

Anybody had issues with alloy wheel bends, 2 of my wheels are bent hate the noise above 100 and also the vibrations. And the toronto alloys cost 28 k a piece :-( . Anybody knows a good center in bangalore where they do removal of alloy wheel bends.