Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st June 2010, 10:51   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Ricky, i believe the external OVRM's came with black colour and not body coloured as you are having currently. Also was there any body cladding on the lower part of the doors that you got removed later?

The ORVM's have a "cover" which is in body colour, atleast so it was on this car. As for the cladding. It is very much there, (as would be apparent from the picture attached), except I have chosen to have it painted in the same colour as the rest of the car. Originally it was in an ash grey (which I personally did not like)

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes E 250d W124-w-124-wip-016.jpg  

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 1st June 2010 at 10:56.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 10:59   #137
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the clarification. I think I need to get my eyes checked !
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:46   #138
Senior - BHPian

I guess it would be hard to procure a single slat unless you get a used one or go for the entire grill replacement or some other jugaad.

The car looks fresh out of the showroom Ricky. Splendid job I must say.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:58   #139
BHPian

Rated 5 star. This is "one" thread on W124 for the future wannabe owners of W124.
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:13   #140
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent exteriors, great work on the lights and fixtures.

Interiors??? - Besides cleaning the manual winders and dull (lack of polish) on the wood causes a loss of charm. I guess interior detailing is needed, hope it suffices. Grey Leather is what they provided originally when a person took the option.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:27   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I think I need to get my eyes checked !

You are welcome mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I guess it would be hard to procure a single slat unless you get a used one or go for the entire grill replacement or some other jugaad.

The car looks fresh out of the showroom Ricky. Splendid job I must say.

Well, single slat was put in place today. So it goes back to being what it was !!

Yes when I saw the car today, (in my own mind) I was like wow , the credit for the splendid job goes to the garage that has done the work, I was only instrumental in getting it done. No holding back, that is what it took !! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Rated 5 star. This is "one" thread on W124 for the future wannabe owners of W124.

Thank you for the kind words Sire !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Excellent exteriors, great work on the lights and fixtures.

Interiors??? - Besides cleaning the manual winders and dull (lack of polish) on the wood causes a loss of charm. I guess interior detailing is needed, hope it suffices. Grey Leather is what they provided originally when a person took the option.

Thanks for the appreciation !! As for the interiors - patience my friend. If the dry-cleaning bit does not do what it needs to do, I shall be going in for...errrrr something nice.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 1st June 2010 at 17:28.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:48   #142
Senior - BHPian

Talking Final Finishing

Well, I was supposed to get the car home today & I could have, B U T, during the test drive, there was a slight clanking (metallic sound) coming from the front, everytime the car went over a rough patch.

There was no way I was going to take the car with that noise, so back it went on the lift & the culprit was right there for all to see. The engine gaurd plate was touching a point which it should not be touching..

I had two choices - wait another hour (or more) get it done & get it back home, Or let them take their time & sort it out - test drive again, be super sure, then deliver the car tommorow morning.

I opted for the latter. Also there was some bit of cleaning which still was not upto the mark. So I opted for them to keep the car & sort out all glitches & squeaks before they finally hand over the car to me. The Merc logo caps of the alloys were also not fitting properly. So ordered some more for the specific design.

So keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see what comes out of it.

Here are some snaps from today !!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes E 250d W124-merc-final-006.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-merc-final-005.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-merc-final-007.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-merc-final-008.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-merc-final-004.jpg  

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 1st June 2010 at 17:52.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

The car looks pristine! Like its just off the assembly line! Congratulations Ricky!

On a different note,though I really appreciate the fact that you wanted to keep the W124 completely original and factory spec,but somehow I feel those delicious six-spoke star alloys,though after-market,compliment the Teutonic no-nonsense charm of the Merc better!
The W124 looks oh-so-perfect on those rims,without being overly snazzy!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:23   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
The car looks pristine! Like its just off the assembly line! Congratulations Ricky!

On a different note,though I really appreciate the fact that you wanted to keep the W124 completely original and factory spec,but somehow I feel those delicious six-spoke star alloys,though after-market,compliment the Teutonic no-nonsense charm of the Merc better!
The W124 looks oh-so-perfect on those rims,without being overly snazzy!

Thank you kind Sir

I agree with you on the "delicious" after market rims bit , but the owner of those rims does not want to part with those, hence I have to stick to my OE rims BUT who knows he may change his mind some day !! LOL

Cheers
Old 1st June 2010, 18:55   #145
BHPian

The car looks beautiful, and I really like White cars, so for me, this is kind of a car I really would love to own. Fantastic job Ricky_63.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 20:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
The car looks beautiful, and I really like White cars, so for me, this is kind of a car I really would love to own. Fantastic job Ricky_63.

Thanks very much for your appreciation ! So do you want to own it ?? . I can find you a similar car & help you restore it - but this one - I am not going to be selling till I have hair to match the colour of the car !!! LOL

Cheers
Old 1st June 2010, 21:29   #147
BHPian

WOW O WOW! The cars come out really good as was expected. Liked the flawless paint job.,the wheels, everything including the oh so fresh tail lamp covers. Have a few suggestions for u.

1> Get the IND plates for the rear, will look really good on it.
2> The engine bay needs to be cleaned/ dressed coz everything IMO should look new. What say? A professional detailer can help you with that.
3> The grille as in Pic 3 looks slightly inclined to the bumper.Get it aligned, may be turning those rubber dampers will rectify this.

All in all a job very well done. Do post some "out on the road" pics.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 22:14   #148
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The restoration has come out very well Ricky. 10 on 10 to you and the garage which did the job. I have a few suggestions though :

1. A good set of mud-flaps rather than the rubber ones which you have now.
2. Get the engine bay cleaned up (although this may have already been done). In the last pic on the left, the containers have lost their white color. You could get them cleaned so they are back to their original color.
3. A good set of AMG alloys at a later stage

Quote:
but this one - I am not going to be selling till I have hair to match the colour of the car !!! LOL
I just hope that doesnt happen for a looong time. You would probably start dyeing you hair when you reach that stage - just so that you dont have to sell it.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:12   #149
Senior - BHPian

Days of waiting are coming to and end with a big smile on your face, Ricky Sir. Congrats, the car looks superb now. Where are the Star hub caps, the car looks incomplete.

Moreover, my Uncle owns a Silver E220 W124 which is amongst the first cars to be produced by Merc in India. The car is in impeccable condition and I shall surely let you guys know when he plans to sell it.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:45   #150
Team-BHP Support

Ricky the car looks Gorgeous after the restoration work. I am a huge W124 fan and would love to own one someday, its one of the greatest Merc made ever, the good part is a good one can be found easily here in India. I would love to see the car in person.

Another 5 star rating to the thread.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote