Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd June 2010, 10:37   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Thank you all for the kind words & encouragement !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
WOW O WOW! The cars come out really good as was expected. Liked the flawless paint job.,the wheels, everything including the oh so fresh tail lamp covers. Have a few suggestions for u.

1> Get the IND plates for the rear, will look really good on it.
2> The engine bay needs to be cleaned/ dressed coz everything IMO should look new. What say? A professional detailer can help you with that.
3> The grille as in Pic 3 looks slightly inclined to the bumper.Get it aligned, may be turning those rubber dampers will rectify this.

All in all a job very well done. Do post some "out on the road" pics.

Thanks Ripper As for the number plates - I was going to order the IND one's but changed my mind at the last moment. Why ? Because my cleaner complains about the sharp edges & generally manages to bend them over a short time These look pretty good in flesh - it has 3M & then embossed lettering.

As for the engine bay, it is pretty clean, yes it does not look new. The grille angle is probably the picture angle. It is perfectly straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The restoration has come out very well Ricky. 10 on 10 to you and the garage which did the job. I have a few suggestions though :

1. A good set of mud-flaps rather than the rubber ones which you have now.
2. Get the engine bay cleaned up (although this may have already been done). In the last pic on the left, the containers have lost their white color. You could get them cleaned so they are back to their original color.
3. A good set of AMG alloys at a later stage

I just hope that doesnt happen for a looong time. You would probably start dyeing you hair when you reach that stage - just so that you dont have to sell it.

Thanks v12 - glad you gave a high score . The mud flaps are what come with the car. I did not / do not know of any better options, any suggestions ?

As for the containers white colour, that can only happen if I replace them, otherwise they are clean. AMG alloys ?? he he he he

As for dyeing my hair - that seems a remote possibility, I am genetically blessed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Days of waiting are coming to and end with a big smile on your face, Ricky Sir. Congrats, the car looks superb now. Where are the Star hub caps, the car looks incomplete.

Moreover, my Uncle owns a Silver E220 W124 which is amongst the first cars to be produced by Merc in India. The car is in impeccable condition and I shall surely let you guys know when he plans to sell it.

Thanks tsk13, as I mentioned the "star caps" that came were a misfit, new ones have been ordered, should hopefully come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Ricky the car looks Gorgeous after the restoration work. I am a huge W124 fan and would love to own one someday, its one of the greatest Merc made ever, the good part is a good one can be found easily here in India. I would love to see the car in person.

Another 5 star rating to the thread.

Thanks .anshuman Glad you liked the restoration.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:45   #152
Senior - BHPian

Vow is the word ! That's an excellent job you have got done. Sorry to nitpick but since you have put so much time and effort to get that perfect finish, I'd say 2 things which I felt after seeing the last set of pictures.

1. The rear bumper has a perfect fit in the centre but is sagging at both the sides( refer 3rd picture)

2. From the 1st picture it seems as if the front grille is fitted at an angle and not straight. Also there seems to be a more than usual gap between the front bumper and the body.

Both can be easily set right with some bumper setting and you'll get that perfect factory finish look.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes E 250d W124-merc-final-007.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-merc20final20006.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-merc-final-005.jpg  

Last edited by longhorn : 2nd June 2010 at 11:54.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:40   #153
BHPian

Drooooool....ing! Makes me think of buying one sometime when I have a covered parking!

The refurbishment has come out great, nobody can belive this is a 15 yr old car! So timeless is the design and kudos on your patience to get bring the charm back!

Contrary to opion, the replacement alloys looks and complements better!
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:19   #154
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations Ricky_63

I have been watching the developments from the sidelines, & must praise your efforts with the car. The outcome is best that I could ever contemplate for this car.

But, agree with longhorn's post on the panel gaps. Further, I would like to suggest you interior work with leather as the fabric interiors do not justify your exteriors.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:28   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Vow is the word ! That's an excellent job you have got done. Sorry to nitpick but since you have put so much time and effort to get that perfect finish, I'd say 2 things which I felt after seeing the last set of pictures.

1. The rear bumper has a perfect fit in the centre but is sagging at both the sides( refer 3rd picture)

2. From the 1st picture it seems as if the front grille is fitted at an angle and not straight. Also there seems to be a more than usual gap between the front bumper and the body.

Both can be easily set right with some bumper setting and you'll get that perfect factory finish look.

Thanks for for comments & feedback, I appreciate it, will see if it is fixable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Drooooool....ing! Makes me think of buying one sometime when I have a covered parking!

The refurbishment has come out great, nobody can belive this is a 15 yr old car! So timeless is the design and kudos on your patience to get bring the charm back!

Contrary to opion, the replacement alloys looks and complements better!

Thanks & by the way she is 18 not 15 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Ricky_63

I have been watching the developments from the sidelines, & must praise your efforts with the car. The outcome is best that I could ever contemplate for this car.

But, agree with longhorn's post on the panel gaps. Further, I would like to suggest you interior work with leather as the fabric interiors do not justify your exteriors.

Thank you kind Sir. Appreciate it !

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

Default Finally She is home !!

Hi

So finally she is home.

Drives well, looks swell, turns heads, makes people ogle, makes fuel pump attendants want a tip (??), is good at looking younger than she is

Is that not good enough ?? I think it is. I have driven the car for just a short run maybe 10-15 kms, had to tank her up.

Shall post driving impressions as we go along. She drives as smooth as it possibly could or is designed to.

Without much ado, I present to you some snaps of her as she landed at the house !!

Ladies & gentleman - please welcome the mighty 124 !!!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-006.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-005.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-007.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-001.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-002.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-004.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-008.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-she-finally-home-009.jpg  

Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:59   #157
Senior - BHPian

WOW! Thats great ricky!

I am still a big fan of your car's audio system!
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:10   #158
BHPian

Amazing looking car. Pls fix the grill ASAP as pointed out by longhorn. It clearly looks mis-aligned.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:53   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
WOW! Thats great ricky!

I am still a big fan of your car's audio system!
Thank you !! The car audio is going to change once the Rainbow speakers arrive. I will be using a simple HU which has USB & AUX & plays all kinds of CD's.

I am told this Becker stereo is supposed to be a "collector's item" In which case I guess I'll sell it to the highest bidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Amazing looking car. Pls fix the grill ASAP as pointed out by longhorn. It clearly looks mis-aligned.

Thanks - I will use the car for a week or two & then send it to the workshop to iron out all the niggles that I notice along the way, no point going there 5 times a week i.e. each time there is a small little thing that one may notice.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 2nd June 2010 at 18:54.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:54   #160
BHPian

Thats one wicked ride Ricky.....well done!
GordonGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:40   #161
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on completion of the car Ricky. I was just wait for your "Shes home" pics before I could post. Looks fantastic and I'm sure she drives like nothing else. Thats a superb restoration job.

Just get the alloy caps in place. If I ever make to your part of the country I'm damn sure I'm paying you a visit just for this car .

Rated this thread 5 Stars.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:43   #162
BHPian

The car looks real good except for the misaligned grill. Glad to see such beauties back on the road with the love they deserve. Congrats.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:18   #163
Senior - BHPian

Default Thank you all !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
Thats one wicked ride Ricky.....well done!
Thanks Sirji, I feel like a "school boy" with that "well done" from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on completion of the car Ricky. I was just wait for your "Shes home" pics before I could post. Looks fantastic and I'm sure she drives like nothing else. Thats a superb restoration job.

Just get the alloy caps in place. If I ever make to your part of the country I'm damn sure I'm paying you a visit just for this car .

Rated this thread 5 Stars.

Thanks Dippy, yes she drives like she's just been driven out of a showroom. As for the restoration, I think most of the credit should go to Patel Auto & some little bit to me, for not holding back on most anything !!!

The Alloy caps are ordered Sir, did you believe that I would drive her like that AFTER all that I did for her / to her ?

You are more than welcome to meet up whenever you come up North, it'd be my pleasure as well as the 124's

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
The car looks real good except for the misaligned grill. Glad to see such beauties back on the road with the love they deserve. Congrats.

Thanks - & yes everyone seems to remind me of the grille, believe you me, it will be corrected once I take her back to the workshop for some little things. As for the beauties coming back on the road, I agree - it takes more than I imagined to get them in Rock 'n' Roll form !!

Cheers All !!!!
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:43   #164
Senior - BHPian

The W124 looks smashing.This thing i guess will outlive you!
Wonderful job and surely an inspiration for all,enjoy your beauty.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:48   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The W124 looks smashing.This thing i guess will outlive you!
Wonderful job and surely an inspiration for all,enjoy your beauty.

Avishar

Please be kind, why do you wish it outlives me ?? No I am not going to will it to you.

Thanks, yes it has come out nicely & I do hope to "enjoy" it

Cheers