Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th August 2010, 23:57   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
It looks so graceful yet muscular ! Absolutely drool stuff. Kudos to you for not compromising on the restoration process.

Is the left 'sail' panel yet to be fitted?

I see you've got Yoko V550's. I've just bought a set. Wonderful tyres. Very silent yet grippy. Perfect for the car.
Can you provide an update about the tyres? I was wondering if I should go the OE way (Continental) or switch over to Yoko, Pirelli or Michelin. Any advise? I'm not familiar with the characteristics of any of these tyres on the W124 as I just got mine.
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 10:27   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Ricky - looks lovely, i keep an eye out for every post from you on this thread. It's great to be living one's dream, and many dream about the W124. It requires patience, a nice workshop, an eye for perfection and a fair bit of the green stuff, and lot of dedication to get where you have with this one.

New upholstery next?

You got it spot on buddy. Patience is the first thing of which I do not have too much , finding a good workshop is the single most important thing without which one would keep running around in circles & frustration starts to set in. Dedication YES. Glad to know you find the outcome worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Looks beautiful,right out of the factory.This has to be one of the best w124 restoations on T-bhp.You have really done justice to the car!

Thanks so very much, yes it does almost seem factory fresh. Thanks for the appreciation once again, I am humbled !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Ah lovely!
It certainly is something for me to look up to now that I have set the ball rolling by buying myself an W124 E220. It's gonna be white too (eventually)!

Welcome to the club. Hope you are able to get all the right boxes ticked.

Quote:
Can you provide an update about the tyres? I was wondering if I should go the OE way (Continental) or switch over to Yoko, Pirelli or Michelin. Any advise? I'm not familiar with the characteristics of any of these tyres on the W124 as I just got mine.

The tyres are perfect for the car, depending on what rims you are running. Though Continentals would not give you any cause to complain either. Just don't go with a very aggressive pattern, IMHO that does not suit the "personality" of this car.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th August 2010 at 10:29.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 12:56   #228
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the car done up so well.
Infact looks pretty much like mint condition (from outside atleast )
Hey, can you also put an expense guideline - this thread may help others who are keen on buying and restoring a w124
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 13:21   #229
BHPian

@Ricky , +1 to all those compliments that you got .
In between , here is a task for you for this weekend if you are free . Get the merc to the outskirts with a camera and catch some more pics , post it over here . Trust me i really want to see more and more pics of this car with some amazing scenary and shots .
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 13:36   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

Welcome to the club. Hope you are able to get all the right boxes ticked.

The tyres are perfect for the car, depending on what rims you are running. Though Continentals would not give you any cause to complain either. Just don't go with a very aggressive pattern, IMHO that does not suit the "personality" of this car.

Thanks! I will. At least I hope to. The first step will be taken tomorrow, Technical Evaluation at Patel Auto.

Ah I see. The car has the stock steel rims (+ hub caps). So will those be okay with the Yoko's? I know that the stock size is 195/65/15, but what is the exact name of the tyres? YK520?

And don't worry about aggressive patterns and stuff like that. I am all about keeping the originality of the car intact. So much so that I am apprehensive of getting a new paint job. I want to retain full originality, so if the car looks good enough with a polish then it will stay with the original paint for a while more.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:39   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Nice to see the car done up so well.
Infact looks pretty much like mint condition (from outside atleast )
Hey, can you also put an expense guideline - this thread may help others who are keen on buying and restoring a w124

Thanks alpha1 As for the cost of restoration anywhere between 2-3L depending on the state of the car, and how close to perfect one wants it. I think it is relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
@Ricky , +1 to all those compliments that you got .
In between , here is a task for you for this weekend if you are free . Get the merc to the outskirts with a camera and catch some more pics , post it over here . Trust me i really want to see more and more pics of this car with some amazing scenary and shots .

Thanks rejoycjohn
The task assigned is indeed very interesting. Let me see if I can manage to do that. Now that you bring it up, you are spot on, no "scenic" pics - I must try to correct that.

Quote:
Thanks! I will. At least I hope to. The first step will be taken tomorrow, Technical Evaluation at Patel Auto.

Ah I see. The car has the stock steel rims (+ hub caps). So will those be okay with the Yoko's? I know that the stock size is 195/65/15, but what is the exact name of the tyres? YK520?

And don't worry about aggressive patterns and stuff like that. I am all about keeping the originality of the car intact. So much so that I am apprehensive of getting a new paint job. I want to retain full originality, so if the car looks good enough with a polish then it will stay with the original paint for a while more.

@Viraat

The tyres are Yokohama V550 decibel series. On the steel rims, I think they may look a little undersized. The rims I have are with a slight negative off set, hence the tyre does not sit too "inside" Maybe you could look at the 205's

Cheers
Old 27th August 2010, 19:24   #232
BHPian

Quote:

@Viraat

The tyres are Yokohama V550 decibel series. On the steel rims, I think they may look a little undersized. The rims I have are with a slight negative off set, hence the tyre does not sit too "inside" Maybe you could look at the 205's
Well the car has the stock tyres on the steel rims and I don't think they sit too inside. Look perfectly fine in fact.

And mildly off topic but did your OE key look as sad and boring as mine does? Where can I get a decent looking key with a nice benz logo on it? I'm looking on ebay but I only find stuff for key less entry.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:39   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the car has the stock tyres on the steel rims and I don't think they sit too inside. Look perfectly fine in fact.

And mildly off topic but did your OE key look as sad and boring as mine does? Where can I get a decent looking key with a nice benz logo on it? I'm looking on ebay but I only find stuff for key less entry.
Ya even I have a SAD looking key !!!

As for the tyre. If it sits well, stick to the size.

Cheers
Old 27th August 2010, 22:08   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok so here is the merc with it's grille straightened out & the side fender indicators in place.

Here are some pics - she also got a fresh coat of polish note the water forming beads on the hood !!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers
Lovely Car and Great work restoring it to its former glory. Some interior pics also please!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 12:06   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Lovely Car and Great work restoring it to its former glory. Some interior pics also please!

Thank you for the appreciation. There are some interior pics in the thread already - as also in "My Garage"

Cheers
Old 28th August 2010, 15:00   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Ya even I have a SAD looking key !!!

As for the tyre. If it sits well, stick to the size.

Cheers
Damn! I'm going to go to one of them fancy key guys and get a decent looking key made! There is one that I know of in Lajpat Nagar. Any others?
And also speaking of keys, I only got 3 with the car. One is ignition, one is doors etc and one is supposedly both. True?

I'm pretty sure it'll fit well. Besides, I am ALL about the originality. I'll just go with the assumption that the guys at merc are smarter than me and there is a reason why the tires were of that size.
Old 28th August 2010, 20:02   #237
BHPian

Ricky - What does this MB offer differently from the rest of your garage?

Quote:
Thank you for the appreciation. There are some interior pics in the thread already - as also in "My Garage"
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 20:47   #238
BHPian

Default About the alloys

Hi Ricky,

Just curious about the alloys. Is it the OE or you got it from the market? I also have a W124 E220, but that came worth normal rim , thinking of upgrading to Alloys.

If you ahve got from the market, can you share the merchant details and the price?
vasanthjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 10:12   #239
Senior - BHPian

^^ I think the alloys came with the car, ricky just refurbished and turned them to brand new! Hence the confusion i guess! He can tell better!

And amazing job done Ricky! At the risk of repeating it for the nth time, you are living the dream of many around here!!

Enjoy and drive safe!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 10:35   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn! I'm going to go to one of them fancy key guys and get a decent looking key made! There is one that I know of in Lajpat Nagar. Any others?
And also speaking of keys, I only got 3 with the car. One is ignition, one is doors etc and one is supposedly both. True?

I'm pretty sure it'll fit well. Besides, I am ALL about the originality. I'll just go with the assumption that the guys at merc are smarter than me and there is a reason why the tires were of that size.

I think you should at present concentrate on more important issues. The keys should come last, just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Ricky - What does this MB offer differently from the rest of your garage?

Don't quite get it - could you kindly be more specific ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Hi Ricky,

Just curious about the alloys. Is it the OE or you got it from the market? I also have a W124 E220, but that came worth normal rim , thinking of upgrading to Alloys.

If you ahve got from the market, can you share the merchant details and the price?

The Alloys are OE, simply look BRAND NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
^^ I think the alloys came with the car, ricky just refurbished and turned them to brand new! Hence the confusion i guess! He can tell better!

And amazing job done Ricky! At the risk of repeating it for the nth time, you are living the dream of many around here!!

Enjoy and drive safe!

Spot on about the alloys..Thanks for the appreciation !!

Cheers