Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th May 2010, 17:09   #106
BHPian

Amazing project. This is the dream come true for many, including me. The MB in white looks sexy, to say the least. Waiting for interior pics as well.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 17:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Congrats for the new car . It looks awesome . Need moar and big pictures .

Thanks - as for more pictures , I think I am doing a pretty decent job of putting up the WIP pics regularly !! All pics are originally 4MB+ but I have to downsize them to be able to load them !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
The OE still available to order???

Why do you sound surprised , when one can get an OE windshield, rear light assembly, side indicators, why not the little orange plastic lights ?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Amazing project. This is the dream come true for many, including me. The MB in white looks sexy, to say the least. Waiting for interior pics as well.

Thanks Sire, I can see that you have a W124 E250D coming into your stable pretty soon !! So have you already bought it ? Look forward to seeing pics of it. Seems like the W124 has quite a following on our forum

Cheers

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th December 2010 at 14:38. Reason: Please stick to 2 smiley PER POST rule. Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 21:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How on earth did I miss that comment !! Well if I had my way (& $$$) she'd be BLACK or Dark Maroon or Navy Blue, but as the dash & door trims are "dark blue" chose to stick with the safe option - white !!

Considering yellow plates & double up as Luxury Taxi at the Grand Hyatt

Just kidding, the white does look very nice !

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 24th May 2010 at 21:19.
Old 24th May 2010, 21:33   #109
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, very much right Ricky. The white color really looks good - especially in the night. It does stand out. A very well documented restoration and good to see that you're going the OE way rather than a modification. I would have prefered the side claddings to be in the grey (or non body-color) as it adds more character to the car.

Anyways, eagerly awaiting this car to be completed.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 21:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Yes, very much right Ricky. The white color really looks good - especially in the night. It does stand out. A very well documented restoration and good to see that you're going the OE way rather than a modification. I would have prefered the side claddings to be in the grey (or non body-color) as it adds more character to the car.

Anyways, eagerly awaiting this car to be completed.

Hi

The ALL WHITE happened post a lot of discussion & deliberation. One, with the ash grey the car had, was quite sad. :-( If I did I'd have gone for Graphite Grey, but that cuts the "visual length" so decided to go "uni-colour" !! I think the matt black on the bumpers & door handles gives it the required "break"...

Well I am a day person - so I hope the car looks nice even during the sunshine hours !!!!

Thanks nonetheless !

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 24th May 2010 at 21:53.
Old 24th May 2010, 23:07   #111
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely wonderful restoration,although a bit surprised to see manual window-winders for the front.i know you metioned about dumping the power window installation,but i thought that was for the rear doors.
The shutlines and panel gaps are perfect!
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 09:29   #112
Senior - BHPian

Ricky, for the first time I'm so much hooked to a thread in this category. Great work, looking forward to the final pics of the car as well as of the Rainbows.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 10:49   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Absolutely wonderful restoration,although a bit surprised to see manual window-winders for the front.i know you metioned about dumping the power window installation,but i thought that was for the rear doors.
The shutlines and panel gaps are perfect!

Thanks avishar, all 4 doors will now have winders, ya the lines on the car are near perfect & the sound of the door shutting is even nicer !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Ricky, for the first time I'm so much hooked to a thread in this category. Great work, looking forward to the final pics of the car as well as of the Rainbows.

I appreciate your kind words, I think I am in the wrong section, should have been in "Imports" I think, nonetheless, thanks again.

Cheers
Old 25th May 2010, 12:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

Amazing work! Really love the finishing given here, wonder how hot it will look after the final polishing! Please do post interior pictures, any changes or revamp done (or to be done) there?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 13:47   #115
BHPian

what you have done to the electicals ? really troublesome . watch onthat front + for interiors turn on to stanley , they do a good job for seats and padding . used to have one w124 220 petrol . did restore it to some extent !
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 17:16   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Amazing work! Really love the finishing given here, wonder how hot it will look after the final polishing! Please do post interior pictures, any changes or revamp done (or to be done) there?
Could not agree with you more it should look "sparkling white" post the polishing !!

I will post interior pics once the car's insides have been drycleaned. No revamp done there. The only change which is waiting to happen is a CD player in place of the Becker tape deck & 4 Rainbow speakers in stock location on the dash & the rear parcel shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
what you have done to the electicals ? really troublesome . watch onthat front + for interiors turn on to stanley , they do a good job for seats and padding . used to have one w124 220 petrol . did restore it to some extent !

So far so good, the electricals did not need to be really re-done. Will keep your advice in mind. As for the Stanley bit - well that'd have to wait for now. The car looks perfectly presentable as is, and to be honest I'd like to use it for a month & be sure that the mechanicals will hold for a longish period, only then would I consider the Stanley bit

Cheers
Old 25th May 2010, 21:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

Update :

The V-Belts need to be changed - obviously I thought !! Why did the workshop not think of this earlier ?? Elementary Dear Watson.

Fact is they did talk about it - but never got down to placing the order - GRRRRR, another wasted day !!
Old 26th May 2010, 19:20   #118
BHPian

Good to hear the work is nearing completion. BTW when might the car be out and ready? cannot wait to see the final pics and the shine of that new paint job
cadaver_prad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 19:59   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Thanks Sire, I can see that you have a W124 E250D coming into your stable pretty soon !! So have you already bought it ? Look forward to seeing pics of it. Seems like the W124 has quite a following on our forum Cheers
Yes there is apparently quite a lot of followers for teh E250D. Well, mine is only in my dreams, so far. So I said what you are doing is a dream come true. I dont live in India now and cant think of owning a car where I am now. Hope to come back some day soon and find a good piece to buy.

Well, the E250Ds are good value here in Germany also. We have a regular taxi guy who has a 17 year old E250D which has run more than 500,000 kms on the same engine. All he had to change was the auto box at around 400,000 kms. It still looks great and pulls like a dream. Him and his family have been living off the earnings from this car for the past 17 years, what other car can do this? Gives you an idea of what you have in hand.

Keep up the great work with your car.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Cool Now that is a business plan to my mind !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
Good to hear the work is nearing completion. BTW when might the car be out and ready? cannot wait to see the final pics and the shine of that new paint job
Well, the car would be ready anyday. I am just waiting for the workshop to run it for atleast 2 days to check if all mechanicals are well, especially the aircon. At 46 degrees that is one of the first things one thinks of !!

Rest assured I will post detailed pictures of the car !

Quote:
Yes there is apparently quite a lot of followers for teh E250D. Well, mine is only in my dreams, so far. So I said what you are doing is a dream come true. I dont live in India now and cant think of owning a car where I am now. Hope to come back some day soon and find a good piece to buy.

Well, the E250Ds are good value here in Germany also. We have a regular taxi guy who has a 17 year old E250D which has run more than 500,000 kms on the same engine. All he had to change was the auto box at around 400,000 kms. It still looks great and pulls like a dream. Him and his family have been living off the earnings from this car for the past 17 years, what other car can do this? Gives you an idea of what you have in hand.

Keep up the great work with your car.

That is nice to hear. Going by those numbers, my car at 1,17,000 kms is still young ! You are giving me ideas of a "business plan" my friend. As the real estate market is not going that great, maybe I should get a fleet of Mercs & lease it out to the many cash rich companies here

Thanks nice to know you like the way the car that is coming up.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 26th May 2010 at 21:19.