Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th May 2010, 16:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

here is how the engine bay of a a similar car but in the european version .... similar features , sun roof , navigation , bluetooth.... blah blah blah .....

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-p1120191.jpg

Congrats on the new car its a thing of beauty .... drive safe ..
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 00:47   #47
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
good ! that makes it 5 to 6 of us who are ok with it ! 2 to 3 Beemer's and 2 Audis for sure ! dont know if anyone else is interested for the Photoshoot & across city drive. Flyingspur you listening ? any updates ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
. just kidding. but let me know if you dont mind an accord along with your bimmers and audis. it will be right on your tails
I can add a tiny little 'star' to the list of Bimmers, Audis and Hondas. When are you guys planning this nice 'party'?

Last edited by Akki_5 : 20th May 2010 at 00:48.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 01:39   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
I can add a tiny little 'star' to the list of Bimmers, Audis and Hondas. When are you guys planning this nice 'party'?
sounds good. lets make a thread in the meet section and make this drive and photoshoot happen. sorry for goin ot.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 03:00   #49
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Apologies for going OT.
Akshay, go on and make a thread. If everyone is comfortable with the idea, i'd suggest a day after 9th June '10, as i'm done with my last semester exams on that day. Don't want to mess up my final semester. But, this is only if convenient to everyone else.
Also, my choice would be an out-of-the-city drive. Some place like Aamby!
No place to smoke the babes in the city.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 09:39   #50
BHPian

Default BMW 320d Review:28 days of JOY

I am going to complete 1 month of owning the car on 22nd May 2010. Feels like life has changed. It has crossed 2200 kms in the last 20 days and each km has been a joy to ride.
Interesting fact:- The dealer has asked me to change the key every month. Don’t know the logic. Can anyone throw some light on it.
The sunfilm is also 28 days old and stacking up well in the Mumbai heat. I had got their medium range with 92% heat reduction and >50% VLT (RTO approved). Its looks really nice on the car. Since it was V-Kool all around, it cost some 26k for the entire car.
On the funny side it has taken the attention off the car purchase among the relatives – “ chokre ne BMW liya woh to sab theek hai, 30 hajar ki filam kisko bolte hai?
Although I am having a problem of mist gathering in the centre of the front windscreen since the AC disburses air from the top of the dashboard too. Cant switch it off. When I used the humidifier, it just turns the AC on full (the temperature display does not change) and lets hot air out of the dashboard vents. However, its not very effective since
  • It takes a while to get rid of the mist
  • It warms up the car inside immediately
My driver got rid of it by using the squirter and letting the vipers do the job – out in a flash. But I am sure there is different way of doing it. Please suggest.
Yesterday, I went to the US Club at Colaba with few of my ex-colleagues. This is the first time that 5 people sat in the car. The driver is short and he drives with the seat fully ahead. I am big and tall and I sat on the front seat with the seat fully behind. 2 colleagues (both normal and 5.8-9” in height) sat behind me and in the centre respectively. The centre guy was spread-eagled on the pillar (made for some funny jokes). The 3rd colleague who is 6.1” sat behind the driver. I guess we were all comfortable. But there is a space constraint. For e.g. I cant sit behind someone like me sitting ahead. Anyways, who said this is for friends and family?
But with more weight in the car (its always me and the driver), the suspension was performing a tad bit better. Otherwise I feel the car jumps more on a road like Marine drive which has intersections every 10 metres. Of course, the driver felt no difference in power on a full house. Thank God for that!
I have had 4 full tanks so far and have got a mileage of 10.2-11 on an average, which I believe should improve. The avg. speed on the computer never crossed 23kmph!! This is inspite of a 5-6 minute stretch of 195kmph on the Expressway. Ok, I need to know when does the computer reset itself. When it displays the numbers, is it since the start of the day, current drive, right from the very beginning – what is it? Need help to decipher it.
With respect to the run flats, I think the ride quality is definitely stiffer at low speeds, but I believe that the whole debate on it is a little overhyped. Not a big difference at all. In fact the whole , “ pankchar gire to 200 kilometer to aise hi chal jata hai” never fails to amaze people. Whereas, first timers discovering “accha, khali 4 wheel aata hai” dismiss it as chindigiri on BMW’s part. To each his own, I guess
Sometimes when you accelerate (flooring the pedal), the DTC symbol flashes up once or twice (when DTC is off) on the dash? Why does this happen? Is it indicating that one needs to turn the DTC on?
OT for a bit: By the way, how can Merc be far behind? I see they have taken a moral high ground and launched an “Executive” version which will only go to fleet operators / corporates. I give them another 3-6 months to start selling to individuals. I also find their new ads on “Blue Efficiency” whereas they are trailing the BMW technology is CO2 reductions. Best practice adaptation is always welcome and good for the industry. Is the STAR Secure similar to the BMW Secure
On the point of badge value – stick to my previous post. Definitely – Guaranteed head turns. A BMW is a BMW is a BMW. More than 95% of the India junta cannot understand Das Auto. But they can definitely read “The Ultimate Driving Machine”. J.O.Y.
Ps. After reading Yeti’s post, I wish I had an umbrella…

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st May 2010 at 10:37. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
contangoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 17:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contangoback View Post
I am going to complete 1 month of owning the car on 22nd May 2010. Feels like life has changed. It has crossed 2200 kms in the last 20 days...
And I thought I was clocking !!

Quote:
Interesting fact:- The dealer has asked me to change the key every month. Don’t know the logic.
When you slot the key in and drive, the battery of the remote gets recharged. Meaning if one of the remotes is used all the time, the one that's standby and not used loses charge over a period of time and goes dead i.e. it will start the car when slotted into the ignition, but it will not lock / unlock the doors and perform any other button-controlled functions of the remote. Hence, to maintain a relatively healthy charge it's advised that the key be rotated every quarter or so, needn't do it every month. Either ways, our keys get used equally because my dad has his key while the driver / myself share another.

Quote:
...since the AC disburses air from the top of the dashboard too. Cant switch it off.
Very annoying. I don't like it either. BUT the top vent also directs air towards the occupants only, its not towards the windshield. Maybe you're using Auto. I don't.

Quote:
The avg. speed on the computer never crossed 23kmph!! This is inspite of a 5-6 minute stretch of 195kmph on the Expressway. Ok, I need to know when does the computer reset itself. When it displays the numbers, is it since the start of the day, current drive, right from the very beginning – what is it? Need help to decipher it.
Never. You can reset it manually with the OBC. Else it won't reset itself. Even the FE has to be reset this way for every tank (if you wish).

Quote:
...dismiss it as chindigiri on BMW’s part.
The problem arises not with the lack of a spare tyre. The funda with RFT's is that while they loyally and sincerely run 300km in a loss of pressure / puncture state, they have to be replaced once you're at the shop and they cannot be repaired like a normal tubeless because the sidewall cannot be repaired. Now do you understand the real problem? Imagine having to replace a tyre with every puncture. Worse, the hard sidewalls mean that the irregularities are transmitted to the rim with much more force, and if you hit a really sharp bump very hard or with high speed, there's a very real chance of your rim cracking. Again, needs to be replaced. Massive problem, these runflats.

Quote:
...the DTC symbol flashes up once or twice (when DTC is off) on the dash? Why does this happen? Is it indicating that one needs to turn the DTC on?
No, it's politely telling you to behave yourself DTC is ON, as it should be, what the flashing means is that there's some loss of traction and the TC system has kicked in to bring the car back to stability. If you drift around a little or accelerate hard through a turn (trust me, don't do it) it'll flash on and cut the power till you're stable again. BTW I suggest you leave it on all the time.

Quote:
...launched an “Executive” version which will only go to fleet operators / corporates.
I'm sure they're selling it to individuals right away. The CE was available to individuals from day 1 as well, it was not formally announced, that's all. It was not officially pushed by the dealers and only people who were in the know through word-of-mouth or whatever, and walked into the showroom asking to buy it, were shown the car and given the option to purchase it.

Quote:
More than 95% of the India junta cannot understand Das Auto. But they can definitely read “The Ultimate Driving Machine”. J.O.Y.
Never thought of it that way. Audi needs to connect with the customer !!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st May 2010 at 17:35.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 22:13   #52
BHPian

Though bit late , but as they say its better late then never . Congratulations!!!
I love over engineered German Cars , Its a beauty .
Take good care of her .

Happy Miles Munching
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Though bit late , but as they say its better late then never . Congratulations!!!
I love over engineered German Cars , Its a beauty .
Take good care of her .

Happy Miles Munching
Hey thanks a lot!!! I think its right-engineered.

All, enclosed is an interior pic. Not done full justice though. Will put more detailed once in a bit.

Completed 2200+ kms in 1 month
Attached Thumbnails
My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-img_0618.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-img_0621.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-img_0622.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-img_0623.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-img_0624.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-img_0625.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-img_0626.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2010, 13:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics of the interiors! Now only if you could install HID headlamps, it would be as good as a Highline from outside
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

For an iPhone your pictures are pretty damn good
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 19:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your beauty Can you post pictures of the backseat?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 11:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

yup ,real nice pics..especially liked the garage one with the angel eyes on

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2010 at 10:45. Reason: Strictly no SMS / Slang language please. Corrected
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 20:11   #58
BHPian

Hi, First of all congratulations for the wonderful purchase. Could you please upload some more pictures of the interior as well (both front and back)?
puneet8796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 12:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your beauty Can you post pictures of the backseat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet8796 View Post
Hi, First of all congratulations for the wonderful purchase. Could you please upload some more pictures of the interior as well (both front and back)?
yes, give me some time. I will upload the interior pics too this weekend.
Old 27th June 2010, 00:24   #60

Hi, I am new to team-bhp. This is my first post although i have been a regular reader. I have bought a 320d and have a question regarding tire pressure. Can some one please help me with the appropriate tyre pressure front and rear for Mumbai roads?
bisabhi is offline   Reply With Quote