Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th May 2010, 16:42   #1
BHPian

Default My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!

Initial ownership report of the BMW 320D Corporate Edition (Black), in Bombay

Yes!! Finally a dream come true. "My new car - BM320D - pure joy". After a lot of research, TD's etc. I had finally booked the BMW 320D CE in the first week of April and taken the delivery on 22nd April 2010. I waited a week longer for the delivery on account of 22nd April being an auspicious day, especially for metal and vehicles.

Since it was a Thursday, I had specially taken a day off from work and reached Navnit Motors, Andheri at 9.30 am (the muhurat was till 11am). I had already done a PDI myself in the previous week at their Thane warehouse (equipped with the T-BHP list which was so useful - many thanks for that). I just could not wait after the PDI and was contemplating taking the delivery asap. However, family overruled the same with the logic, "you did'nt listen when we said dont buy this big (read:expensive) car, atleast let us have our way in the delivery date!!". So when I reached the showroom, I could see that the car was ready, all spick and span, on the slope at the showroom. We went inside and after the customary paperwork, tea and cookies, a box full of choclate for my wife and some other goodies, we were given a complete run-through by the salesgirl. I had fun asking questions, the answers which I very well knew, through T-BHP and she scored 8/10 barring something on Bluetooth retrofitting and whether mp3 names would display on the system. The car had run 48 kms during the time of delivery.

Post completion of the formalities, I took the reins of the machine and drove first to our temple in Juhu. Since my dad was with me, he was constantly asking me to "take care" but nevertheless, I floored it in Juhu Gully itself reaching a 100kmph. That moment was the most defining and I remember it till day (although I have done much more with the car in the last 15 days). The run flats were okay and it definitely did'nt feel heavy at speeds above 40kmph. Below 40kmph, the steering does seem hard - blame it on the German sturdiness factor, giving a solid feel compared to my 5 year old Accent, which still runs smooth (I have told her about the new one in a phased manner). The first day I could not figure out the side indicator staying only for 5-7 seconds - realised that you need to press it a little harder than usual. Post the pooja at our temple (liquid vermillon on the steering wheel included - exactly 4 drops on the carpet - who is complaining? God has been kind), I drove away to the V-Kool outlet for the film installation. I had shortlisted the V-Look "Light Select" for the sides and read, with a 92% heat reduction, RTO approved VLT and not very dark. The outlet on S V Road, Vile Parle does a good job and I spent the entire 4 hours just looking at my new acquisition.

Later, I took it for my personal spin (I knew family and friends were waiting at home and I wont get the time) and got acquainted with the car, its controls etc. Like a first date! I realised that if the SRVM change switch is on the left, the left SRVM does not lower itself when you put the gear into reverse. Did'nt know that (all these discoveries came as a shock, making the worse flash in front of your eyes - ends with comic relief as you get to know her better).

Later in the evening, I took it to another temple and a couple of rounds on the backroad of Lokhandwala with family. I was loving every moment of it. The LED lights on the side of the main overhead lamp in the front of the car beautifully illuminates the gear paddle console and gives a rich feel to the car. The 3 stage opening of the doors is awesome too. I might sound like a kid but I just migrated from an Accent to a Beemer and hence remain in awe of some of the "obvious" perks in high end cars. I also got a transperent (beige border) mat with spikes at the bottom to hold on to the Vellor carpet mats supplied by the dealer.

Till date, the car has already driven 1600 kms (13 days), with a trip to Pune over a weekend and its absolutely 10/10 on the performance. I clocked 195kmph on the expressway and it felt like a breeze. The car was just gliding across.

Now that I am emotionally drained, let me give you the initial experience in bullet form:-

Handling: No complaint whatsoever; heavy during low speeds but what the heck - I have learnt driving on an Amby so we Indians should not complain - Remember power steering was a "feature" till some years ago

Ride quality:- I would rate it 10/10 for self driving and 7/10 for back seat driving. I use a chauffer for the daily grind from Lokhandwala to Nariman Point and the back seat is not as comfy as I expected it to be. In the CE, there is no central arm rest too. I feel the suspension would be better in Merc, although I never even TD'ed it since I was not keen to buy

Entry / Exit:- I am 6' tall and while getting in is easy, getting off is somehwat awkward since your legs sink in a little deepere, especially in the back. The hugh block in between at the rear also makes shifting difficult. Every morning I shift from the non-sunny (drivers) side to the left before entering the building.

Mileage: 12.8kmph in the Pune trip - 10.5 during the city drives. I am sure this will improve further. 2 fuel tanks filled so far - Love the diesel pricing! When I checked the air pressure for the 1st time, it was 40+ all across. Got it reduced to 30 in front/rear - open to your suggestions on the same

All that jazz: Dont miss the sun roof, iDrive or the automatic seats. Btw, mine has fully manual seats (a cool 1lac+ off on the car). The sensatec beige seats look and fill leather and for people who dont know, it passes of as nappa leather. The back pockets on the front seats are actually useless. They are bursting with 2 newspapers inside.

Peppiness: Full marks on this one. Anyone who has had a ride with me compare it to an aircraft on the runway. Amazing power. I ride with the DTC off all the time (not required in Mumbai, but please let me have your suggestions). The machine gets meaner in the manual mode.

Peace of mind: got the secure (free for the 1st year thrown in by the dealer), the BSI Ultimate for 3years/60k and a great rapport with the Navnit staff. Keeping fingers crossed here. Have managed to keep the logos intact. Have a basement parking at home, and building parking in office. So far so good. Mentally prepared to lose it though. Have got tons of pictures. will upload them later.

Badge value: what do I say here? Definitely turns heads. I have got the registration number 320 (inspired from Sahil, I guess). Keep the Corona rings on all the time. Its fun to catch people staring at you at red lights (not the Dhoni one). Feel accomplished. Feels good. Reminds you that you have a long way to go when you see a 5,7, S or an A8 - definitely, maybe, sometime.

I will write more as I get comfortable with the car. As you can see, right now I am very emotional about it

Last edited by Dippy : 6th May 2010 at 17:42. Reason: Post edited. Discussions on illegal street racing are strictly prohibited on Team BHP.
contangoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:54   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your buy.How much did the OTR come to?
ahmed26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:54   #3
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations and you have been blessed the express your joy !

Without pictures this thread will not do justice. Share as many as possible

Cheers !
Otomobil

PS: Kindly Change Update your signature Beemer 320 CE 2010 Delivered

Last edited by Otomobil : 6th May 2010 at 16:56.
Otomobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:54   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on the acquiring the beemer. Its time for removing "awaiting delivery" from your signature

Beemer is and would always be a driver's car. Enjoy the beauty.

Cheers,
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. You did sound like a kid with a new toy. But thats what these machines are ; Toys.

Very natural review. Enjoy the care and drive safe. Keep posting your experience and also please upload some pics soon.

Cheers!!
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a brilliant acquisition. The CE makes total sense to my mind. All the good stuff remains & the not so important things left out & what you get is a nice price cut !! Purrrfect !

Enjoy your new car !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:28   #7
BHPian

@ Otomobil / Andy / Harshal / Ricky - Thanks...i have never waited for the weekends so badly so that I can drive the car - updated the signature

@ Harshal - the only difference between the men and the boys..is the size of their toys...dunno if you have heard that one..but like I said...long way to go...
Old 6th May 2010, 17:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Beemer CE. Do post the Pics.

10 kmpl in city is excellent for the performance it provides. Does BMW provide an option to go for the non run flat tyres?
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
Congrats on your buy.How much did the OTR come to?
With the discount on the car, Free Secure for the 1st year, Insurance,registration, RTO fees for the number, an approx 28L on road.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the most 'VFM' luxury car on Indian road today!

And how can you ride on the backseat of a Bimmer ??? Fire the chauffer godammit!!

Post some pics
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 18:25   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your BMW acquisition. Am sure you are enjoying your ride to the hilt.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude. a great upgrade from Accent to BMW
where are mandatory pics

Is there a run-in for BMW cars? What is the company mentioned top speed?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 20:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

congrats on the car. i would keep the dtc on, especially since the monsoon is coming up. if the roads are wet, one wrong push on the accel can be disastrous.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 23:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

NIIIICE Congratulations !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by contangoback View Post
...I floored it in Juhu Gully itself reaching a 100kmph. That moment was the most defining and I remember it till day...
Your life is going to get saturated with such moments.

Quote:
The first day I could not figure out the side indicator staying only for 5-7 seconds - realised that you need to press it a little harder than usual.
That is for lane changing. Three flashes. Press completely for turn indicator.

Quote:
I realised that if the SRVM change switch is on the left, the left SRVM does not lower itself when you put the gear into reverse.
Thank you SO much, you have no idea how much I owe you !!

Quote:
The LED lights on the side of the main overhead lamp in the front of the car beautifully illuminates the gear paddle console and gives a rich feel to the car.
Absolutely love the red ambient lighting in the interior...just two little LEDs !!

Quote:
Till date, the car has already driven 1600 kms (13 days)
Lol... and I thought I was quick to 1500.

Quote:
In the CE, there is no central arm rest too.
This is my single biggest grouse with the car. I simply do not sit at the back now.

Quote:
I am 6' tall and while getting in is easy, getting off is somehwat awkward since your legs sink in a little deeper
I find both a little difficult, at 6' 1"...

Quote:
Btw, mine has fully manual seats (a cool 1lac+ off on the car).
Oh ! Then you could have bargained off much more. I got that in March.

Quote:
I ride with the DTC off all the time (not required in Mumbai, but please let me have your suggestions).
I really suggest you leave it on. Not doubting your skills, but even I moved up from Accent / Corolla and this thing is a little rabid. 350 NM needs to be kept in check.

Quote:
Have managed to keep the logos intact. Have a basement parking at home, and building parking in office.
I bargained a spare set into my purchase deal, and am sourcing original ones from USA for substantially less than what they're sold for in India.
Quote:
I have got the registration number 320 (inspired from Sahil, I guess). Keep the Corona rings on all the time.
Sweeeet. I wish I had access to a 320, but anyway I didn't so I'm happy with my 6996. And yeah, I keep those on all the time too. Feel aati hai
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 13:13   #15
BHPian

thanks all once again...I am putting up a few snaps from the PDI after resizing them using the Ctrl+W function...thanks for this Team BHP..years of frustration for uploading spaps on various sites remains solved now
Attached Thumbnails
My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-dsc01448-tbhp.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-dsc01457-tbhp.jpg  

My new Car - BMW 320D - reine Freude!-dsc01458.jpg