Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th May 2010, 19:39   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Congrats on your buy. The extent of features on this car looks amazing.
How much is the road tax in Chandigarh?
Its approx. Rs 3200 for 15 years. Hurray.

Another excellent feature is the hill descent/ascent, which I tried out today. I was behind several cars on a steep incline in the basement of a mall -- all moving up slowly after paying parking fee at the check-post. Each time I had to move, the car would hold for several seconds allowing me enough time to accelerate. Convenience at its best.
ivar1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 14:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
Its approx. Rs 3200 for 15 years. Hurray.
Three thousand rupees only? Unbelievable. Or it that a typo?

Road tax in KA would be 3 Lakh+ rupees. Then there is VAT which is another additional 1 Lakh+.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 18:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Three thousand rupees only? Unbelievable. Or it that a typo?
Road tax in KA would be 3 Lakh+ rupees. Then there is VAT which is another additional 1 Lakh+.
It is not a typo! This is why I bought the car in Chandigarh as I have a house here.

Meanwhile, returned to Chandigarh today. Total k.m. driven today 310, including 100 in heavy Delhi traffic. Average FE: 11.8 k.m. On the highways, the car easily gives 15-16 k.m./l if driven at about 100-120 k.m. without throttling at every opportunity.

The AC is excellent. Despite outside temperature at about 45.5 C, I maintained the temperature at 24C. Real cool.

Touched 140 k.m. today. Initially, I felt that there was a sway but quickly the car settled down well. The pick-up is fantastic as I started touching 3000 rpm. Will cross this mark after 2000 k.m.

Downloaded another 385 tracks on the SD card taking the total to 800. There is room for another 800. The Class 4 card is pretty quick. So the trip back was with music all around. The ICE is very good indeed.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 31st May 2010 at 18:26.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Touched 140 k.m. today. Initially, I felt that there was a sway but quickly the car settled down well. The pick-up is fantastic as I started touching 3000 rpm. Will cross this mark after 2000 k.m.
Run-in is how many KMs? Is it ok to touch this high speed before running in?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 08:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Run-in is how many KMs? Is it ok to touch this high speed before running in?
The manual says that one should not cross 2000 rpm till 1000 k.m. and up to 3000 rpm till 2000 k.m. I have not crossed 2500 rpm yet and it still touched 140 k.m. However, I remained at this speed only for a few k.m. The car touches 120 k.m at 2200 rpm. All this done gradually so as to not to push the car during the run-in period. The deputy service manager of the dealership, however, had said that run-in is not required but I decided to follow the manual to the letter.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 1st June 2010 at 08:20.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your buy. The extent of features on this car looks amazing.

How much is the road tax in Chandigarh?
Awesome looking car, great choice
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 20:00   #22
BHPian

Congrats ivar for the Superb. You have clocked great fuel efficiency figures from the TSI. Happy driving with the Superb.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 20:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice! Skoda could have provided better alloys though.

Careful with that umbrella, it might scratch the paint.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 09:29   #24
BHPian

Learnt how to use another excellent feature: auto tilt on reverse gear selection. Thanks to Carwale, whose top man went all the way to JM Skoda to find out how to use this feature and then mailed me the details.

All one has to do is to put the switch on the front right armrest to "L" and then put the gear lever into reverse and lo and behold the left front rear view mirror tilts to enable the driver to see the rear. As a result, one does not have to crane one's neck too much to look at the rear. Great feature.

The other feature that Carwale helped me to discover is the concealed key slot in the front right door though I have yet to learn how to operate it. With this feature one can open the car door manually in case the key does not function electronically.

Drove about 40 k.m.in the city yesterday and got FE of 10 k.m./L
Old 8th June 2010, 17:38   #25
BHPian

Autocar India in its June issue has compared the Skoda Superb 1.8, the Honda Accord and the VW Passat -- all M/T and voted for the Superb as its top choice.

Then, Top Gear in its June issue compared the Superb M/T and the Superb A/T and voted the A/T as its top choice.

Having chosen the Superb 1.8 A/T, I feel smug as ever now that even the experts have voted in favour of it!
Old 8th June 2010, 19:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Learnt how to use another excellent feature: auto tilt on reverse gear selection. Thanks to Carwale, whose top man went all the way to JM Skoda to find out how to use this feature and then mailed me the details.

All one has to do is to put the switch on the front right armrest to "L" and then put the gear lever into reverse and lo and behold the left front rear view mirror tilts to enable the driver to see the rear. As a result, one does not have to crane one's neck too much to look at the rear. Great feature.

The other feature that Carwale helped me to discover is the concealed key slot in the front right door though I have yet to learn how to operate it. With this feature one can open the car door manually in case the key does not function electronically.

Drove about 40 k.m.in the city yesterday and got FE of 10 k.m./L
You could have just asked me about the auto-tilt. I have read the manual cover-to-cover.

One feature I'm loving now is the automatic wipers.. very useful when there are intermittent showers. Most of the time the timing of the wiper is PERFECT.. it's almost like it knows when I'm gonna use it and starts it 1 second before that.

Last edited by holysmoke : 8th June 2010 at 19:31.
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 19:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

This small antenna thing is something I wasn't aware of. GOOD move by Skoda, these easily-unscrwable antennae on some of the newer cars (Jazz / i20 / ANHC) are so easily flicked and expensive to replace. It's really annoying, my i20's antenna sits permanently at home, and used only for long drives.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
You could have just asked me about the auto-tilt. I have read the manual cover-to-cover.

One feature I'm loving now is the automatic wipers.. very useful when there are intermittent showers. Most of the time the timing of the wiper is PERFECT.. it's almost like it knows when I'm gonna use it and starts it 1 second before that.
I agree. These take off at the first sign of a drop. Very well behaved indeed.

Regarding the auto tilt, the manual is misleading. It says to shift the knob to "R" when actually it works on "L." I think the manual is meant for left-hand drive cars! Why Skoda does not provide manuals for cars meant for India is strange.

The concealed key slot is mentioned in the manual but I did not know which way to shift the cover and was thus afraid of breaking something.

I am looking forward to the rains so that I can use the sun/moon roof. Sometimes when my car is parked under a nice big tree like the one outside my house in Chandigarh, I open the sunroof and let in all the green splendour.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 9th June 2010 at 19:09.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:20   #29
Team-BHP Support

Just remember to clean the drainholes of the sunroof regularly. To figure out where they are. Open sunroof, pur a little water around the channels and watch were the water flows. If front doors, there is a rubber nipple which is the outlet and needs to be cleaned now and then. The rear, most probably drains from the rear mudguards which means taking the rear wheel arch liner. Ask for this during service
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 11:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Just remember to clean the drainholes of the sunroof regularly. To figure out where they are. Open sunroof, pur a little water around the channels and watch were the water flows. If front doors, there is a rubber nipple which is the outlet and needs to be cleaned now and then. The rear, most probably drains from the rear mudguards which means taking the rear wheel arch liner. Ask for this during service
This is indeed a very useful tip. I wouldn't have dreamed of this aspect of the sunroof. Thanks.