Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd September 2011, 14:44   #106

Just to clarify; my car has 'now' been fitted with a 2011 unit. The unit that failed was a 2009 one
maverick_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:05   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
Just to clarify; my car has 'now' been fitted with a 2011 unit. The unit that failed was a 2009 one
Wonderful. Did you find out if it is it an improved version of the previous one? Also, what about the warranty on it?

Quote:
What we now need to figure out and validate through this forum if these failures are only hapenning in the 2009 manufactured mechatronic units or are there any instances of 2010 / 2011 units also failing
I took delivery of my car in May 2010. So it is obvious that the 2010 cars, or at least those up to that point, also have this serious problem. I checked my car was manufactured in 2010. It is, however, quite possible, that Skoda plonked the older mechatronics into my car!

Last edited by ivar1951 : 3rd September 2011 at 09:35. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post if posting with 30mins.
ivar1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 16:50   #108
BHPian

Default Re: My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T

Checked with the dealer. No sign of the parts said to have been despatched by Skoda on Tuesday. A week already gone. I wonder why the dealers don't keep enough spare parts, particularly when they have have dealerships in five towns of Punjab and Haryana!

Last edited by ivar1951 : 5th September 2011 at 16:51.
Old 6th September 2011, 19:17   #109

Hi Ivar,

Its not just a simple part replacement.

The mechatronics is coded with the vin no. at the factory and then shipped to the service centre to be fitted to the vehicle.

I had a failed mechatronic too and its a 2009 tsi superb.
My part was flown down from the Czech Republic, the mother ship, since they didn't have many cases of failed Mechatronics in those days.

I had to wait 3 weeks.
I guess I was as hassled as you are now and it took some time to get over it.

Don't sweat and loose too much sleep over it.
Its a great car. We all do have some niggles once in a while, don't we

A.K.
A.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 09:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K. View Post
Hi Ivar,

Its not just a simple part replacement.

The mechatronics is coded with the vin no. at the factory and then shipped to the service centre to be fitted to the vehicle.

I had a failed mechatronic too and its a 2009 tsi superb.
My part was flown down from the Czech Republic, the mother ship, since they didn't have many cases of failed Mechatronics in those days.

I had to wait 3 weeks.
I guess I was as hassled as you are now and it took some time to get over it.

Don't sweat and loose too much sleep over it.
Its a great car. We all do have some niggles once in a while, don't we

A.K.
Thanks for the input. I presume that it has been working fine since then?
Old 11th September 2011, 10:51   #111
BHPian

Well, it felt good to ride the "steed" again -- after full 11 days. Brought the car back from Krishna yesterday. They changed the mechatronic and updated it with the latest "vastly improved" software. Jitender, the engineer, claimed that it would most likely give me no trouble. Even if it did, for the next about two years Skoda would replace it free of cost as a "goodwill" gesture, he said with confidence. But nothing in writing. Happily, I had to pay nothing, not even for thel, carriage of the car to the dealer.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the service provided by the dealer and Skoda.

I would suggest that those whose car is a 2010 or earlier make should get their mechatronic software checked and if it is the older version insist on an upgrade free of cost. I think Ishlinea7260, who has a ecember 2010 model, did this and happily he was lucky he already had the latest version.

Thanks everyone for your support and valuable inputs.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 11th September 2011 at 10:55.
Old 11th September 2011, 13:48   #112
BHPian

That is a great news ivar, enjoy the beast. Do upadte the thread when you have some free time, so I can tune my mind for the best before I get one
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 14:59   #113
BHPian

So all cars post December 2010 have the latest software?
ARSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 19:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

@ivar1951, good to hear you have your car back in fit condition. Hope this improved software really solves the failures but one feels VW hasn't really got to the root cause of it ?
Another 7DSG failure was reported in the Yeti's (SamKapasi's) thread. It seems his mechatronic also folded up :-(
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 10:52   #115
BHPian

After all that has been said and done, there is a huge question mark over the car's reliability. I don't think that I can be sure now that it will not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere - at night. Its numerous features and quality of fittings, etc, notwithstanding, the fact that I've lost trust in it is saddening. Matters have been made worse by the fact that many other owners have faced the same problem and Skoda has done nothing to alert others to the problem leave alone recalling the cars to remove the defect. For this reason alone, Skoda can never be a Toyota or a Honda!
Old 12th September 2011, 11:42   #116

I agree with ivar. Though my car has now supposedly been fitted with a 2011 mechatronic unit and I hv been assured by Skoda that it will not fail... Am worried that it cud just happen again.. And like ivar said, stranded inthe nite in the middle of nowhere. Would be good to know if anyone has come across any case of a second mechatronic failure!!
maverick_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 16:44   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with ivar. Though my car has now supposedly been fitted with a 2011 mechatronic unit and I hv been assured by Skoda that it will not fail... Am worried that it cud just happen again.. And like ivar said, stranded inthe nite in the middle of nowhere. Would be good to know if anyone has come across any case of a second mechatronic failure!!
Can understand your concern about reliability after the mechatronic failures. Not a good feeling when going out on long drives.

The growing number of failures really warrant a recall by Skoda of all pre 2010 Superbs. Why wait till it fails? The recall will go a long way in building customer confidence. I can't imagine how many potential Superb (and other models) customers Skoda has lost in the past two months or so. Today is the age of information and nothing is hidden from the consumer. Just a few searches on the net about the superb will lead the user to this forum and will introduce him to the 'ghost of mechatronics'.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 10:08   #118
BHPian

The very fact that Krishna Auto and Skoda processed my claim for replacement of the mechatronic without any fuss within minutes, clearly shows that they are fully aware that their cars have a faulty mechatronic. This worries me greatly. If they have the knowledge, then supplying cars with the defective part is a criminal act to say the least. Leave alone recalling cars, Skoda had no business to sell cars with the defective part. Also, when they know that the failure rate is high, why are the dealers not keeping the part in stock? At least, then I would have got my car back in two days instead of 11.
Old 13th September 2011, 13:11   #119
Senior - BHPian

Rightly said Ivar, such critical component failures actually put a big question mark on the car's reliability.

In fact, there has been a huge recall by VW/Skoda of around 60,000 cars in the US after the NHTSA forced them to rectify the Mechantronic unit. There is more about it here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2503999 (Skoda Woes And The Ghost Of The Mechatronics!!)

I seriously think the 10 year warranty should be extended to India as well.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 22:08   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951
The very fact that Krishna Auto and Skoda processed my claim for replacement of the mechatronic without any fuss within minutes, clearly shows that they are fully aware that their cars have a faulty mechatronic. If they have the knowledge, then supplying cars with the defective part is a criminal act to say the least. Also, when they know that the failure rate is high, why are the dealers not keeping the part in stock?.
Did you get any sense from Krishna on the failure rate? If it's 1 in 50 as I suspect, then their position is understandable - solve problems that occur but do not recall all cars. I think a formal confirmation of the verbal extended warranty offer they made to you, plus it's extension to all owners would help. Provision of replacement cars to people waiting for repairs would also be a good idea. Take care, and hope you don't have any more problems
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote